Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
It can definitely be pretty annoying, especially since the use of macroing programs is banned so you can't use AHK to help.

Because it's annoying some groups might opt to just run two bards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I'm Bererez on mid. Mid 30s skald, I've leveled up alchemy to ~700 if you want pots at cost. Would also love to have cool bros to bro out with on bro stuff. All the random duders I met during beta went hib. loving pubbies.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Twisting as a bard does not only require you to manually switch the song every few seconds, but as each song uses a different instrument you first need to equip the correct one too.

On the Everquest TLP servers (the ones that progress through the various expansions at a fixed rate) they did add this as one of the few QoL improvements from the start for their bards. /melody macro autotwists between up to 4 songs.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

angry muppet posted:

It can definitely be pretty annoying, especially since the use of macroing programs is banned so you can't use AHK to help.

Because it's annoying some groups might opt to just run two bards.

I asked about AHK in the IRC but got mixed responses. I was going to write a script that cycled through my paladin chants with one button press per chant (a mouse button) purely to prevent RSI. To my mind that's not automation and I keep the 1 key press per action ratio. I'm not even sure they're capable of detecting it unless they're going to ban people simply for having autohotkey.exe process running (which I have constantly anyway for other games).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just don't try and type in chat while your hotkey is going or it will be super obvious in the logs.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
back in the day when I had a script to run my chants they were set to F keys so they wouldn't show up in chat.

Devs have been pretty clear AHK isn't allowed. I don't think they're going to do anything other than investigate reports of people using macros. As someone who used to macro my chants, it's extremely obvious when someone is running them on a macro.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm down with dealing with some old school nonsense, but twisting would just be tedious so I'm not going to bother with the bard. That and there are like a million bards on Uthgard anyway since the support classes seem crazy popular.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/producers-letter-2017

The 2017 producer letter is up, with a very interesting survey at the end indicating they are considering making a new classic ruleset server to directly compete with Uthgard along with a RMT store for buying cosmetic stuff. Kinda curious if I'll be able to make my cleric shorter :P

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Sorta interested in that but not in the price it will be.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Nobody else playing live atm?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
someone plvl me on live or uthgard. i want to play :(

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

45 now. Got my scing done with a very cheap template. These epics are breaking my balls. But, that's what I get for saving them til last.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Going to try running this in Parallels tonight on my MBP. Can't believe I'm coming back to this game (bought it when I first came out).

Is Albion where most of you are? If I'm eventually going to run an stealth character (so Inf. in this case), I'm guessing I should run something cheap and easy first like a Theurgist?

I'm probably 70/30 in terms of solo/grouping

Any particular build?

Worfus
Sep 24, 2007
Most theurgs run 41 ice 35 earth for rvr pet spam. You put all into earth until 35 for the yellow PBT, then afk for 10 mins between rebuffing in every group thereafter. Easier than leveling a necro I bet, though I have no idea why you'd ever plan to level anything but a main character. It is completely brutal getting to 50 on any class, just make your inf and be done with it.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Worfus posted:

Most theurgs run 41 ice 35 earth for rvr pet spam. You put all into earth until 35 for the yellow PBT, then afk for 10 mins between rebuffing in every group thereafter. Easier than leveling a necro I bet, though I have no idea why you'd ever plan to level anything but a main character. It is completely brutal getting to 50 on any class, just make your inf and be done with it.

Fair enough. Just figured I'd level something easier to farm the cash for my 2nd character but maybe I'll just roll an Inf and see how I get with groups and general levelling.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Any goon groups on Uthgard still?

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

succ posted:

Any goon groups on Uthgard still?

Haven't played with any goons yet but I started in albion. Levelling a theurg to farm some cash and crafting.

Forgot how much I miss this game but gently caress me the levelling grind is bringing back nightmares

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I was looking forward to try Uthgard, but the grind is just too rough for my current life.
As a student I had plenty of time for stuff like that, but no more.

Genesis leveling was perfect, the grouping bonus was so big it didn't matter who you took with you , as long as those spots got filled. So you had group members with up to 10 levels apart.
Finding a group was piss easy.

On Uthgard it's the other way around, bunch of elitists perform a whole risk analysis before they let you "leech" their precious exp.

For the record : I did not mind the slow leveling experience on the latest Everquest progression server, but that is because pve is the endgame of EQ.
However no-one plays Uthgard for it's pve.
I'm not saying /level 50 should be possible as players would spend to much time switching classes and too many noobs would be running clueless around the fronties... (not that I would mind if they're on the opposing team.. héhé) ; but getting to 50 should not take a month with 4 hours 5 nights a week.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Playing Albion on uthgard is a reminder that autotrain is the stupidest mechanic ever.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Evernoob posted:

I was looking forward to try Uthgard, but the grind is just too rough for my current life.
As a student I had plenty of time for stuff like that, but no more.

Genesis leveling was perfect, the grouping bonus was so big it didn't matter who you took with you , as long as those spots got filled. So you had group members with up to 10 levels apart.
Finding a group was piss easy.

On Uthgard it's the other way around, bunch of elitists perform a whole risk analysis before they let you "leech" their precious exp.

For the record : I did not mind the slow leveling experience on the latest Everquest progression server, but that is because pve is the endgame of EQ.
However no-one plays Uthgard for it's pve.
I'm not saying /level 50 should be possible as players would spend to much time switching classes and too many noobs would be running clueless around the fronties... (not that I would mind if they're on the opposing team.. héhé) ; but getting to 50 should not take a month with 4 hours 5 nights a week.

Seems to be the general consensus on the forums for this. The die hard fans from 15 years ago have gotten married/had kids and can't poopsock their way to 50 anymore. If you're not a desired class for groups, you're going to be pulling your hair out soloing. Just sticking to one character (theurgist) for the time being and hopefully (don't count on it), they release some kind of XP adjustment (I'd love for XP loot to return). I'm just taking it in stride and crafting and doing other things to avoid the constant XP grind.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

littlejoey posted:

Seems to be the general consensus on the forums for this. The die hard fans from 15 years ago have gotten married/had kids and can't poopsock their way to 50 anymore. If you're not a desired class for groups, you're going to be pulling your hair out soloing. Just sticking to one character (theurgist) for the time being and hopefully (don't count on it), they release some kind of XP adjustment (I'd love for XP loot to return). I'm just taking it in stride and crafting and doing other things to avoid the constant XP grind.

Unfortunately they definitely won't be releasing any kind of QOL improvements because that starts the slippery slope of fixing all the things that were wrong with the game at 1.65.

For better or for worse, what you see is what you get with Uthgard. Honestly, the grind isn't too bad as long as you have one buddy you constantly group with and have made complimentary classes. By the time you're hitting the serious grind (45+) you can probably just start your own groups.

The thing Uthgard needs to get going is the SI zones. It makes leveling a lot easier since the zones are way more organized, not to mention the high level quests that are going to give great XP.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No. The grind is bad with one friend.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Uthgarde's XP grind was too much for me. Hopefully Genesis doesn't suck.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The changes after 1.65 didn't kill this game.
Buffbots and skill/RA gap killed this game.
100 noobs could not kill a competent 8 man. That's why the game died, but at the same time, that's why it was so great.

1.62 and after is when the gap between the haves and have nots really started rearing its ugly head. 1.65 is chosen just because it's after the left axe nerf.
I do think they overdid it with armor reactives and charges. It seems the cool downs were too short on gamechanging realm abilities, but I could be wrong about that. Just seems rr10+ groups had too much of an advantage over lower rr groups.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

1.65 is chosen because it's the last patch before ToA, which would be considered the end of classic daoc.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
That's more true. I stand by the rest of it.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Nerfing Left Axe is why this game died.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the left axe nerf was why all the hibs and albs left

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I was having fun but I just can't commit the kind of time this game would requre. Also, the population is obviously skewed towards the hardcore ex-DAoC players, which isn't really a bad thing if you are one of those but I kind of miss the casual element of people just playing whatever to have fun. The game is 'solved' in a way that everyone is playing the optimal specs for the optimal classes and taking the optimal path through the game. IMO it's missing that massive casual base that added a lot to the game when it was popular.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

boho posted:

Uthgarde's XP grind was too much for me. Hopefully Genesis doesn't suck.

Is there any information on these other servers? I hear Genesis thrown around, same with Origins and even some reports of the actual game considering a classic ruleset. Is there any dates or timescales to these or are they too far in the future to put a date on?

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Been playing this the last couple weeks and still having a blast. I find that although the leveling can be slow compared to the live servers, it's been really easy to get groups (even as an inf.). Sure Albion has a necro power leveling epidemic, but It hasn't stopped my ability to level and find groups.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Well, I generally only have about 2-3 hours a night to play. About 4 days a week. And I got to 48, almost 49 in a month and a half? It's a very hard game. Haven't logged on much in the past 2 weeks though. Getting discouraged at how broke I am.

Also switched from mid. Hib now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

littlejoey posted:

Been playing this the last couple weeks and still having a blast. I find that although the leveling can be slow compared to the live servers, it's been really easy to get groups (even as an inf.). Sure Albion has a necro power leveling epidemic, but It hasn't stopped my ability to level and find groups.

poo poo is the same on hib. Not just power leveling. But "focus pull" groups. If you're not a druid/ment/enchanter, it's a bit harder to get groups.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I started on Hib with my brother as some friends were already established there. Hit around level 30 but he has since jumped ship from Hib to Alb as he was getting sick of being turned away from groups as a Hero.

There seems to be a weird focus pull obsession in Hib even though the few times I've had some 'non-optimal' melee group the exp has been comparable if not sometimes better as we spend time actually playing the game and killing stuff rather than filling spots with the best possible combination of classes. My brother had one instance where a group he had invited everyone to tried to vote him out as he wasn't optimal for focus pulling.

Several times I've been in groups of 5-6 who opt to turn down a similar levelled Blademaster/Hero/etc as they weren't 'optimal', preferring to have 2-3 empty slots in the group instead. It seems crazy to me. DPS is DPS. That BM could be hitting poo poo and we could move to a better camp.

I don't have this issue personally as I've been playing Bard/Warden and always seem welcome, but it leaves a bad taste.

Does Alb have this sort of thing with grouping? I'm thinking of moving to Alb to join up with my brother (He's an Armsman, me as either Paladin/Sorc/Theug)?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yes. Just with necromancers and cabalists.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
But I also never had a problem with grouping on my hero. Make your own groups, ezpz.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

PriNGLeS posted:

Yes. Just with necromancers and cabalists.
Bugger.

PriNGLeS posted:

But I also never had a problem with grouping on my hero. Make your own groups, ezpz.

Yeah fair enough. Though as I say, there was a weird scenario once where a group tried to usurp my brother's Hero even though it was a group he'd formed from scratch.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of going back to live. is anyone actually playing on live? Uthgard holds no interest for me :(

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I'm still messing around on live. Kinda playing every realm on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Heskie posted:

I started on Hib with my brother as some friends were already established there. Hit around level 30 but he has since jumped ship from Hib to Alb as he was getting sick of being turned away from groups as a Hero.

There seems to be a weird focus pull obsession in Hib even though the few times I've had some 'non-optimal' melee group the exp has been comparable if not sometimes better as we spend time actually playing the game and killing stuff rather than filling spots with the best possible combination of classes. My brother had one instance where a group he had invited everyone to tried to vote him out as he wasn't optimal for focus pulling.

Several times I've been in groups of 5-6 who opt to turn down a similar levelled Blademaster/Hero/etc as they weren't 'optimal', preferring to have 2-3 empty slots in the group instead. It seems crazy to me. DPS is DPS. That BM could be hitting poo poo and we could move to a better camp.

I don't have this issue personally as I've been playing Bard/Warden and always seem welcome, but it leaves a bad taste.

Does Alb have this sort of thing with grouping? I'm thinking of moving to Alb to join up with my brother (He's an Armsman, me as either Paladin/Sorc/Theug)?

Any of those will be fine choices and you'll be able to get groups as long as you don't AT the Paladin all the way to 48.

Paladin needed for endo chants. Without a paladin, endo regent is brutal.

Theurg will be wanted in groups for PBT which in later levels you'll find you can probably go AFK for periods of time and no one will know/care

Sorc will be wanted in groups for PoM and good for CC when tackling groups of mobs in PVE.

• Locked thread