Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Even though this is a really old game, I think they've done a decent job of keeping it modern. DAoC is still the only MMO I know of that gives you this much control over creating a custom UI along with keybindings.

I reactivated my account the other day and was quite surprised by how easy PvE and is now. Aside from doing the quests in battlegrounds which I honestly think are the best way to level (XP is amazing plus you get BPs that can buy you decent gear including a good mythrian or two from cathal valley).

The repeatable ToA glass quests that just went in with the last patch are also amazing experience and can help you get your ML1-10 credit along with any artifacts you need in a weekend.

I leveled a sorc solo from 43-50 in two nights of casual play just using the realm buffs from the frontier keep.

The only thing that really is left to see is how good the actual RvR is. I'm told that Cathal Valley actually has a lot of the really good action but sadly none of my non-50s can go there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
For anyone coming back, now is a good time to do it. the 10th anniversary of GOA Europe release just happened and to celebrate there is a 200% XP bonus in classic zones and dungeons. There's also a 200% BP and 125% RP bonus. Runs until the 13th: http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-birthday-daoc-eu

I kind of want to play my hibs again but it seems like a real pain to get a group going over there unless you know a core team that includes a bard.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

Is the frontier still about 8-man rapetrains wiping raids thanks to AOE mesmerize?

Not really. The zergs generally wipe the 8 mans, if there are any 8 mans.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Paladins can actually be a lot of fun. We get a celerity chant now and can have two active chants up if you're not really a fan of twisting (lot of lazy people just leave celerity/end up). Spec 2h and run with celerity and paladins can do some good damage. Also have an insta cast rez from the chants line now.

Overall, paladins are probably not essential to groups (a lot of people just use endurance potions instead of having an end bot), but in a good tank group they can really help bring the pain. I think we're trying to run some kind of celerity hopped up crush debuffing train with a paladin, armsman, reaver, and friar. Who knows how that'll work.

When I still played hib before we always ran tank groups with some combination of 4 bm/hero/champ/vamp. If you have good teamwork in a group, tanks are still very much the core of your damage.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

Are there any Cabalist-type casters in a realm other than Albion? I'd rather not be on team zerg if I can help it...

Pretty much from what I can tell everyone is in team zerg unless you want to solo, in which case you're going to be fighting stealth zergs.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Bahanahab posted:

How are the healing/support classes in pvp? I want to play a healer, but if they're just going to be fodder for other people I'd switch to a different class.

They can be a lot of fun. I've played primary healers in all realms. Yes, you will be a target for the enemy, however, your groups objective is to help you survive as well. You also get realm points for healing, so you'll usually end the day with more points than anyone else in your group. I believe it was already mentioned in this thread, in hib, wardens can function as pretty good healers but are also a lot more versatile and survivable in what they can do in the group since on top of having the Major Heal, which is the bread and butter heal spell of all primary healers, they also have access to pulsing bladeturn (magical bubble that stops 1 melee attack) celerity (huuuuuge stacking haste buff), minor speed, self indurance regen.

Just keep in mind that Wardens are a hybrid class, meaning that while they can do many things, they'll never match a druid for heals, and they'll never match a blademaster for damage.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

SERPUS posted:

A warden with bodyguard is an eldritch's wet dream.

My BM was rather fond of duoing with wardens. I think our greatest victory was melting a full group of mids that used to run around ganking XPers in Labyrinth.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Mux posted:

Some minor fixes and additions.

To add to this list, Bards and Mentalists get casted demez.

It seems like most people are interested in playing casters. I've never really played caster groups in hib, but I think the general setup is usually bard, druid, druid, warden, and 4 casters. I used to always play either a light eld or light ment but I think with the current state of the server a bomb group would probably be good too (mana eld, mana chanter, arb animist, maybe even mana ment).

Pretty much any class aside from stealthers can work well in a group though.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Mux posted:

Don't forget a BG tank in a caster group. It's actually quite important for 8v8. I prefer hybrid groups myself, though.

The warden is for BG/grapple/pbt/heals/etc. Extremely handy class in a caster group.

The bulk of my rps in hib were made playing bm in a group that ran bm, bm, vamp, (hero or champ), (eld or ment), druid, druid, bard. It was a pretty savage train as far as melee dps goes.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Twlight posted:

Did they make any changes to the ML 10 gear? I assume that you still need to do those raids for the top tier gear at this point....I think it might be time to bring my Mini back from the deep... If anyone needs anything on Albion I should be on as Gnusong.

I think ML10 is the only thing you need to farm for gear. The gear stats might have improved at some point, I honestly never used much ML10 stuff. I do know that it's pretty common to template with it though.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

So I noticed for the templates on VN that they are almost all for nurture/regrow wardens, and I prefer to melee. Is it possible to have a warden that hits decently well? Is there a difference between a warden with 50 in blunt and a hero with the same?

HUGE difference. Even though you get to spec in blunts, wardens are on the naturalist damage tables. Heros, BMs are on the guardian damage tables.

As a warden, if you want to do melee damage you basically need to be spamming the essence flame Master Level ability. It attacks with essence damage which isn't a templateable resist type and can proc for huge damage.

If you want to be seeing huge hits in melee, roll a bm, hero, champ, or vamp.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

OK, I finally got around to making a character. The name is Turnoff and I'm (trying) an Animist.

On another note, it's worrying to see that every other realm owns all their artifacts except Hibernia...

Hibs have some relics. There is always lots of turnover. It's the name of the game.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Bard and any kind of dps. The main reason you want a bard is speed. Exception to this is if you want to play a pet class like chanter or animist, then a Druid with good buffs will help more.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Kazvall posted:

I have the most elite minstrel template if anyone needs.

I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm also looking for a high end caster template with +dur. It's for a sorc, but templates from other realms would be helpful too just to give me some ideas on where to get the duration bonus.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I got a few pictures of it too. Pretty insane. I knew Andyn liked to Zerg hard, but I didn't know he zeroed that hard, heh. Wish I could have stuck around, I'm pretty sure if we'd run into them a second time things would be different.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Molvik alts are a nice thing to have. A lot easier to get groups there.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Mana is great in a group for leveling and the dots are pretty powerful in the lower level BGs. The only problem you'll run into is if you want to do some solo PvE grinding.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Donated. None of the games I've tried playing since DAOC really kept me playing but I've got pretty high hopes for this. Hope it doesn't turn into another WAR though.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
it was the euro pvp server.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I'm toying with the idea of reactivating again. Unfortunately I think I'd only be able to play during the daytime, but I guess that would be euro hours. Kinda feel like getting a few more RRs on my druid and cleric.

The state of RvR has kind of been commented on recently, but I'm curious if anyone actually goes to the lab anymore, or if that's just a horrible cesspool of stealth zergs?

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
welp, more or less got my account setup again. Ran around a bit this afternoon on alb with some euro players I used to play with on Alb/Kay way back when. Seemed like there was actually a pretty decent rvr population from every realm.

Is anyone else playing alb or hib during euro primetime? ~2-5PM EST?

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
There are glass quests that start at least as low as 35 in oceanus, some of them don't even require combat in case you feel like doing a support class or whatever. If you run it about 50 times, you'll hit 45 at which point you can just do pictish quests until you're 50.

Dunno who all is playing mid these days. I'm trying to play hib but I've only been there a few times. Mostly finding myself playing my cleric since a pile of old guildmates reactivated thanks to news from camelot unchained.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I've been feeling the itch to play DAoC again, I miss playing my cleric.

Dunno if I would roll a cleric until live though.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I started poking around a bit leveling a cleric, although I think I might make it a friar just for beta since it's easier to run around on by myself.

One thing I miss is UI customization. Do the modern UI mods work on Uthgard? I mean, custom UIs didn't even work back in 1.65 if I'm remembering correctly and it seems like they have full support.

So another thing I'm wondering about.. With no buffbots, how does an alb group keep everyone fully buffed? Two clerics seems like they're going to have a tough time. Seems like Mid/Hib groups are more predisposed to having a decent amount of buff coverage.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
People are doing mid for beta and alb for live where there will be a guild.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
the main detractor of playing hib is having to run up to emain. I guess that's not really any worse than having to wait for a portal ceremony.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
with 15m portal ceremonies the same can be said of anyone.

speaking of RA dumping... I was grouping with someone who said a dev posted on the uthgard forums stating that beta 2 would start in 1-2 months. Anyone seen any posts like that?

I know there are a still a lot of bugs to fix, but from my point of view, it's good enough to get 50 already which means I'd rather focus on the RvR/post 50 bug content.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I really hope it doesn't last long and we can go to live.

i50 is gonna be a poo poo show of people who are rolling instas with trash gear vs the people who actually played beta and have SCed reasonable suits. But I guess enough people are gonna be in trash gear that they can adequately test high-end content.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Well i50 is up.

You can get free DF gear in the capital near the old giant cat.

Basically allows you to get capped stats and ~10-15% resists on level 49 armour. Good enough to play with for sure. If the server can stabalize this should actually be some fun RvR and maybe even a dragon raid.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
When i30 came out they suggested i50 would one one to two months. i30 lasted about a month and a half although that was mainly because a bunch of the devs were on vacation. I sort of feel like the server might be live around the beginning of October.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Probably a good idea to put a date there so people know soon means soon as of sept 2016.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
you get a gold at creation for horses and porting. The DF gear is more than sufficient to test just about anything. RvR fighting is pretty well tested already, the only thing left to test is RAs, relics, and dragons.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
yeah been that way for a week or two.

if people would just loving get it together we could even drop a dragon but people are either farming gold, crafting, or running around like idiots in emain. nobody wants to take keeps or kill dragons.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I just resubbed on live after doing the free month back. Mostly playing alb because it's the only realm I can get a group. Just started leveling a friar, swanksterz.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I leveled a cleric and reaver during beta and it kinda sucked. Duoing a paladin and reaver was fast but it was pretty hard finding decent groups other than that. Not sure if I'll play live.
I kinda wanted to play hib, but it's way easier for me to do alb since I actually know where to go to level.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Kazvall posted:

You can't macro. Also, you can all use my discord if you want. https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

Do you know if they ever expanded on the rule that says no macro tools?

I haven't seen any posts in the forums about it specifically. I would assume that automated weapon switching based on scanning chat log and the more complex stuff is out of the question, but I'm not sure if they're against doing stuff you can macro with any gaming keyboard.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Any macroing to perform two actions with a single button is banned, though unless you're doing something outrageous or posting videos I don't see how anyone would know.

Saving keyboard space by binding c to cure desease and stun on a cleric probably won't get you in trouble.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Deuce posted:

There may be a lot of leveling groups struggling to find melee fighters.

In beta there were a decent number of melee players, they just tended to not level up as quickly because it was difficult for them to get equipment to stay useful. Once a few people have hit 40 and crafters start appearing, leveling a tank will be a lot easier.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
The Uthgard grind is definitely as bad as you remember. Live servers not at all, you can solo on basically any toon to 50 in under 10 hours. If you're already established, it's pretty easy to get to 50, templated, and ready to kick heads in in about 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
just about all the hardcore live 8man players rolled mid, but other than that the actual population distribution is fairly even according to the devs.

At this patch level, mid was definitely the easiest to build a group in, followed by hib, with alb requiring pretty specific classes. Chances are if you don't know good players already in alb, you will get farmed a lot.

• Locked thread