Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

and therin lies the problem, i remember back in the last great goon golden age there were a few hib leaders that did take anyone groups and were successful. Those were zergs though. It seems those aren't even happening much unless you are part of a clique already. It's a special kind of poo poo feeling to see your realms keeps being taken, sitting at your border keeping spamming for a group and getting nothing. And yea I used to run around and solo/try to join in zerg fights or as some people would say "add", you know how well that goes.

Having a nice UI to display and advertise open groups, and incentivizing running an open group I think would be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Holy poo poo a working group finder would be huge. There actually is or used to be one in game but they might have taken it out because it was so lovely. It was basically just a message board you had to keep checking.

This will be the what 4th Darkness Falls iteration? I think I actually missed the 2nd one completely.

13 days is tempting but again only if other goons are playing. I've tried the whole "solo to 50 and hope pickup groups run" thing and it just doesn't seem to fly in any realm except alb for zerging. This is on Ywain, i can't deal with the non permenancy of freeshards.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Sounds about normal which is cool, i forgot about the Halloween vendor stuff. I liked doing the BG's with smallman and stealth squads and forgot I have stealthers on mid/hib.

gently caress it im playing casually for the 2 weeks, on hib side. This is Splahterhouse (luri champ was my main during the last goon renaissance).

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So when did they undo the melee style changes? I see Annihilation is back to a single style (used to be 2 chain) but now a 7s stun instead of 9.

I've been mainly messing around on lowbies getting used to the movement/combat again.

Also found

http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28267

To make the game look pretty

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

When mordred hit I was easily playing 8 hours a day. Before that my Eldritch had 100 something days played. I know there are people with much more but holy poo poo that was a ton of playtime. I look at my steam games and see 100 hours here and there and think that's insane.

Daoc hit at a horrible time for me, 19 living away from parents for the first time, making a lot of money doing IT during the dotcom era and living with a friend who played it more than me.

I still haven't found a game that captures the realm pride and general community attitude of Daoc, at least for the first few years before it became 8mans errywhere.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2015

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

anyone dtf on live?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Leveling on mordred was had some high highs and loow lows. Fighting other leveling groups, everyone wearing poo poo gear, was fun. They would sometimes go and exp elsewhere then come back.

I remember leveling in some pretty remote places, even grinding greens now and then.

I tried playing the eq2 pvp server and it wasn't near the same. Haven't played anything like it. Part of the draw for me I think was fighting in places that previously had been PvE only.

Kind of like a shootout at Disneyland.

Early Sin Vida, what I can remember of it, was a riot. We would camp chokepoints, bridges where the horse route slowed down, drop off points, camelot entrance. Then we got a lot of people and started taking keeps and doing ml's and poo poo. I guess that was fun too, but the earlier feel was more like a band of shithead teenagers egging cars and poo poo.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 6, 2015

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Woodhouse posted:

That was Shadowclan, they were pretty fun to play with honestly. TRIBUUUT! They are still around in other games like WoW etc.

I had a friar named Chanterz when Mordred came out because I thought I was sneaky and everyone would think I was a caster. I remember hanging around Ardee > Magmell and PK Bridge all the time baiting stealthers to fight me. I'm just hoping CU brings the same feel that DAoC does, because I've been chasing it for years and have yet to find a game like it.

I was in Shadowclan on an alt, it was pretty fun. The language is quick to pickup and demanding tribut owned.

I looked a while back and they seem to be mostly dead. The WoW guild had maybe 5 actives etc.

Last night i spent some time looking for a mmo with a pvp server but all of the gameplay footage i've seen looks like crap with all the hotbars and ui poo poo. It looks like a wow raid but with players. Open world idk brawling is what I more look for.

ESO looked decent but I made it about 2 hours into that game before giving up.

edit: hib loop best loop.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I love the minstrel too much to play anything but alb.

Truth. Haven't found a mmo class quite like it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Cult groups were a poo poo ton of fun. Even doing labby where we would get steamrolled by bigtyme's zerg.

Trying to find a group as a soloer or "unknown", e.x not making 50 posts an hour on vnbboards, is like eating rusty nails and then pooping them out and eating them again and pooping them out.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Were you the eld that would be doing draco runs like 24x7? If so, i hope you didn't take me teasing you about it 24x7 serious.

I just resubbed, messing around on gaehris.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

i'm just screwing around but if more than 1 other goon wants to do something im down. Got 50's on all 3 realms.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What is your definition of a proper stealth mechanic?

Watching my friend one shot greys and not drop stealth was p cool in the early days, but gently caress playing against that poo poo.

I haven't been following CU updates much, is that veil system still planned?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

*plays back in black over boombox*

How is the move going Wafflesess?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm jus loving around taking video on my bard. if someone wants to level poo poo hmu im in cult on hib.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I rolled an animist, hello 10 spells at level 1.

Is arb the pve spec?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Are there any big technical hurdles to running a private server? Setting up DOL using a wamp setup years ago didn't seem to hard, i even added spells etc. I remember some of the first servers having to work on getting AI pathing to work because that was handled server side for live.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hib/Galahad Ahkemsira (Viaticus)

Morderd - Ahkemsera (Sin Vida) / Curry (Validus)

ps jumping on to play now hibside. tbh i wouldn't mind doing alb/mid if enough people wanted to, but last time i suggested that people got mad like it was 2001

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I miss the PvP servers, even more since I got in on them when they were already at a dwindling ~2006 population. I wish I could have seen them at their prime.

Here is my best shot at describing the pvp servers. Btw andred was hot for about 30 seconds then everyone went back to Mordred. On Mordred we told people to go back to andred (or carebear serverS).

So on the PvP servers you were immune to pvp until level 10. You could type a slash command to undo this if you really wanted to. And people did, it was not uncommon to see brand new naked britons or whatever auto attacking with dirks. Or the most common sight, a bunch of lowbies ganging up on a higher level player. Sometimes they would be completely wiped, remember purple is like anything +4 (earlier levels the formula was different) or whatever to you. So that lurikeen enchanter pbaoing the bind stone at prywden keep bridge might be 12 or 50. Didn't matter, lowbies ganged up and tried to take down big game.

Because the xp for getting that kill was phefuckingnominal, you could go up multiple levels at a time. I think even a few guild started that way, just greys that would camp mag mell or w/e loving with high levels. The high levels were around because it was either fun to 1 shot greys or to actually kill people. Everyone was dying all the time and it wasn't uncommon to run out of money from con repairs.

Fighting was everywhere except the main cities. And this is something i loved. Having a xp group going, while gankers would come now and then and kill you or give you even better xp. Usually disbanding afterwards to fight to the death, winner getting a shitload of xp losers going back to bindpoint. You had to be on high alert all the time. Think the area is clear? Check behind the rocks, check that siabra tent, whatever. People would exploit the poo poo out of LoS, doors, portal (gently caress portal jumping) immunity timers, horse routes, people afk at bindpoint (lol), anything.

It was amazing chaos.

Also equipment wasn't realm locked. Want to use a alb 2h pierce on a hib champ? NP, it uses your large weapons skill. Want to use (hand) scythes on a troll zerk, also not a problem.

At first there were a lot of big guilds, Torcan, legends, wings of valour, a lot of them simply zerg guilds. Sin Vida (the one i was in) started as all stealthers and we were loving assholes. Bridge camping with 10 people, taking over mag mell. Hunting groups in cursed forest etc.

8 mans became a thing about the time they did on pve, and a lot of guilds formed around that.

Sometimes a pve raid would be attempted to hillarious results. Either it would get crashed, or the leader would steal everything. Just another day p much.

Classes that were assholes on mordred
Bonedancers - could p much kill anything within 15 levels of them.
Pet classes - pets would follow forever
Spreadhealers - for a time you could spread heal a group under portal immunity timer, so a group or two would camp drumen ligen etc, the healer would keep porting between DL and DC and spread healing. Or they would just die and spread heal during that. Completely immune to damage/interrupts.
Any solo capable class could be nasty, friars would wreck your poo poo.
Onetime a friend and I rolled kobold shamans, joined shadowclan, and got a bunch of hate tells. Pbaoe disease, dots, chainmain, heals, just nasty.

TBH i kind of want a game like it now but i'm not sure I could handle it without a lot of free time. If it was open world pvp only or minimal pve maybe. Smite or another moba scratches the itch sometimes.

But its nothing quite like open world pvp.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 2, 2015

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

There is a non zero chance that higherlander minstrel was me.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Shara gib kobo tribut or kobo klomp shara flat HOOWAH!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm in Cult also on most of my digital avatars.

I somehow missed the full-buff potion section of that announcement. That would be huge, the realm buffs were a good step but it still felt like having access to a buffbot was required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Same.

Been faffing about trying different pvp mmo's while waiting on Unchained. GW2 would almost do it but the art style grates on me for some reason.

• Locked thread