Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I just started playing this again on Uthgard. I hate myself and I hate fun. Rolled alb. Not sure if I'm taking a minstrel or theurgist to 50. If I level a minstrel people will probably group as long as I relearn how to twist and I don't have to actually be good at anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Is cherts a meme?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Jessant posted:

Maybe? If you get a thin/flat/round chert from low level mobs (Spriggan especially) in Albion you can hand them to Stonemason Glover in Cotswold (and apparently another stonemason in ludlow/humberton?) and receive a thrust/slash/crush one handed weapon. Its the only conceit to making low level characters less awful in the entire game at that point and it only exists in Albion in two of the four starting points and the only way you would know about it is by talking to the suspicious Stonemason NPC who is never involved in any quests. Classic MMO fun.

Ok, it all makes since now. I kept seeing chert in starter guild chat, but no one was explaining it. Someone handed me a slash weapon and called it a chert. It made no sense. Now I know he meant a chert was turned it to receive it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Evernoob posted:

a 15 year old game should not be charging monthly if they don't continue to add content and good support....

Buff bots did a lot to kill this game. It help carve the divide among the haves and have nots among other things.
I don't have much experience with f2p mmos. How do you go f2p with daoc? Skins seem like it would wreak chaos on class identification because of the current variety of armor models. Everyone already has a horse. You don't want it pay to win.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Mid rvr group - Pac healer, Aug healer, shaman, skald, zerk, zerk, zerk, last spot zerk or runemaster. Pretty much unbeatable if player skill is equal.

I tried playing again last night since the queues are gone for me game times, but the grind is just not fun.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The changes after 1.65 didn't kill this game.
Buffbots and skill/RA gap killed this game.
100 noobs could not kill a competent 8 man. That's why the game died, but at the same time, that's why it was so great.

1.62 and after is when the gap between the haves and have nots really started rearing its ugly head. 1.65 is chosen just because it's after the left axe nerf.
I do think they overdid it with armor reactives and charges. It seems the cool downs were too short on gamechanging realm abilities, but I could be wrong about that. Just seems rr10+ groups had too much of an advantage over lower rr groups.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That's more true. I stand by the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Twlight posted:

Specing 50 stealth is a thing now with free vanish, as well as your poisons.

Here is the hib stealther page on PC: http://www.postcount.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?88-Hibernian-Stealthers

One of the things that hurt populations were stealther gank groups hanging out at choke points. There's lots of people that wanted to go out without zerging or doing strictly 8v8, but things got ridiculous. I'd have to run with bard, minstrel, or skald to outrun zergs that would chase us over 2 zones, and then get ganked by 8+ stealthers at milegates, bridges, and docks.

Really wish there had been a way that stealth zerging could be discouraged or punished.

• Locked thread