Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember playing this way back, before then it was my first MMO and my first character was a elf champion with some piety stat thrown in (oh boy I can melee and be a caster, and pie!).

When Mordred came out I jumped ship to that and not being limited to 1/3 the content and areas was fun but remember 90% of the Midgard classes being the best at pvp along with really bullshit hib casters like mentalist and enchanter and of course stealthers of all realms.

My favorite was playing a augmentation healer with haste buffs and a damage buff that doubled my own damage along with a damage shield it really never got old slowly whittling down giant killdozers/assassins and just using one of my dozen stuns and healing to full or watching them kill themselves on 200+ damage shield reflects, I also remember having a chest piece that would randomly heal me that benefited from healing and heal crit bonuses.

Is the PvP server still alive or did it die a painful death after the expansions after atlantis?
I also vaguely remember my guild being one of the winners for the new frontier pvp contest on the test realm, and we got a hill in a pvp battleground (which pvp servers can't access) named after them, so they named it the Mor du kuli hill (I think that was the name) so somewhere in the battlegrounds is a hill called a ballsack in another language.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

madpanda posted:

Leveling on mordred was had some high highs and loow lows. Fighting other leveling groups, everyone wearing poo poo gear, was fun. They would sometimes go and exp elsewhere then come back.

I remember leveling in some pretty remote places, even grinding greens now and then.

I tried playing the eq2 pvp server and it wasn't near the same. Haven't played anything like it. Part of the draw for me I think was fighting in places that previously had been PvE only.

Kind of like a shootout at Disneyland.

Early Sin Vida, what I can remember of it, was a riot. We would camp chokepoints, bridges where the horse route slowed down, drop off points, camelot entrance. Then we got a lot of people and started taking keeps and doing ml's and poo poo. I guess that was fun too, but the earlier feel was more like a band of shithead teenagers egging cars and poo poo.

I remember the first days of mordred opening, in albion the mages and stealth classes all mostly started in the same forest and it was a race to leveling up fast enough for the wizards to one hit everyone and the infiltrators to one hit the rest with pvp flags turned off early.

You had to go to some pretty remote locations to avoid being seen and trying to walk out of that forest and not using the road without getting lost or being able to afford a horse ticket while dying all the time was rough.

There may of been some uneasy truces and leveling groups early on in salisbury plains and camelot hills in the popular spots like the earth elemental hill and the /task bridge.

I rather enjoyed killing people with a dwarf healer all the way to 50, had enough resist buffs to handle the more popular casters and you had a damage reflection so powerful you could usually kill berserkers without hitting them yourself.

Later on it became routine to check any dungeons where level 38+ players would hang out with your roaming 8 man gank squad when it was a slow day, just to see if anyone was green or above to get some quick RP, then you'd revive them and be on your way out, you'd also check any of the other popular leveling spots like various wights in the frontier and I think poohka or ghost lebrechauns or ghost trees in some dark forest in hib I've long forgotten the name of.

ML raids on mordred were hardmode because you couldn't AOE the swarms of enemies without also nuking your unguilded friends, lot of necromancer abuse to tank bosses back then when you could get away with it in the early ML, I remember Ml6-7 in the volcanic area being the biggest hurdle because of endless swarms of minotaurs.
And then you had to do the ML raid in as much secrecy as possible because in no time you'd have rival guilds show up to crash the party when you could barely handle that minotaur fort siege to begin with.

Does anyone else remember a all kobold guild early on in Mordred that spoke weirdly and would just swarm all over certain towns?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 6, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember when playing on the pvp server I heard they made a cross realm PvE server that I promptly forgot about.

How bad was it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, was looking at camelot unchained and it tugged at my nostalgia a bit, liked some of the stuff they want to go for like no leveling and largely player made equipment, then I got to the furry and butt wing races and not sure what to think of it, whats the general consensus on it or is it way too early to tell?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of bows, one thing I remember liking from early DAoC were the different arrow types and the minor min/maxing of swapping the damage type of the arrow, even if the slash arrow had the best stats.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope their not married to the buttwing demon design.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My Mordred story was starting out as a berserker, which were considered a top tier damage dealer at the time, it was at about level 35 I was getting my rear end kicked despite some good gear fighting some shrouded isle wolfman boss, after dying enough I brought in my lower level aug healer to try and fight the boss and had a much easier time.
It was at that point I realized, why the hell am I leveling a pure damage dealer that gets outdamaged by my healer? I stuck with my aug healer and never looked back to the berserker, I never used a buffbot so it was perfect for me with the added bonus of feeling smug that I didn't need a buffbot to win.

I stuck with that Aug healer named Sigmestgi and I'd roam around solo and could handle every class 1vs1, with some trouble on buffboted pet classes, my favorite moments were just slapping melee classes and watching them kill themselves on my damage shield before I even got low.

Thinking back, Aug healers were just loaded with tons of stuff, they had a damage shield, damage buff, most of the buffs, resist buffs for nullifying certain casters, stun, 1 minute mes, a short AOE mes, instant heals and big casted heals and a movement speed buff that wasn't musical class tier but helped with roaming and I'm sure a bunch of other skills I've forgotten about.

Another thing I remember about DAoC were one time drops, I remember part of what made me love the aug healer so much was that you could get these 100% quality pieces of armor from killing a named tree in midgard that spawned at midnight once a game day.

They had insane stats for their level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I knew a rr10 healer on mordred that might have never lost a 1v1.

I might of been that aug healer, was it a black and yellow dwarf by the name of Sigmestgi?

I don't think there were very many other aug healers who 1vs1ed people.

• Locked thread