Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is the frontier still about 8-man rapetrains wiping raids thanks to AOE mesmerize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Are Valewalkers worth anything yet? They were considered largely worthless when I last poked my head in and looked around. How about Mentalists or Enchanters? I never understood where they really "fit" in Hibernia's caster lineup. The only class I've really played on Hibernia was an Eldritch.

EDIT: Animist question answered above!

boho fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Are there any Cabalist-type casters in a realm other than Albion? I'd rather not be on team zerg if I can help it...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

I would say the cabbie has nicer toys generally.

Exactly. They lack an AOE damage source (though they do get Disease!) but otherwise their skill set is great.

Eldritch miss out on the lifedrains and dots, but they do get AOE and the infamous stun. I think that's a fair trade when you add in the benefit of not having to play on Albion.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

angry muppet posted:

Pretty much from what I can tell everyone is in team zerg unless you want to solo, in which case you're going to be fighting stealth zergs.

I love zerg versus zerg, I just don't want to be on the overpopulated side.

I've been there before, it sucks to run around for 30 minutes and not find anyone to fight.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

For Combo, and anyone else who's interested, here's the template my eldritch currently uses.

Thanks for that. What do you think about skill allocation for an Eldritch? Apologies if that's already in the Template (I'm not entirely sure what it all means).

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So how does a castershade work exactly? I'm thinking about trying one since stealth tends to be solo-friendly.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Would I be wrong to assume Animists are more for keep defense than anything else?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tawal posted:

In the open field, using the bomber pets, they are very, very good.

The AE ones or the single-targets?

I'm glad it's so easy to level in this game -- there are several classes I want to try.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
OK, I finally got around to making a character. The name is Turnoff and I'm (trying) an Animist.

On another note, it's worrying to see that every other realm owns all their artifacts except Hibernia...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Ugh, the atrocious ground targeting system is making Animist decidedly unfun. I think I'll try something else.

EDIT: Made a Lurki Nightshade named Combopoints.

boho fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 9, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kazvall posted:

How hard is it to hold f5 and scroll? I always just made two groundtarget macros. One close to me, and one far away.

It always takes a second or so of holding F5 to register I'm trying to ground target. And I'm new and have no clue how to make macros, let alone non-intuitive stuff like ground targeting.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

Type: /macro GT /groundset 2000

GT = the label for your macro when it's on your quickbar, 2000 = the distance in front of you to set the ground target - modify those as needed for your macros

Mentalists and Eldritches both have insane utility, just in different ways. They both also can do nice damage. Light spec for Mentalists has a really nice heat DD and an AoE DD, plus charm spells. Mentalism spec gets a nice DD that has a PBAoE heal effect as a bonus, single-target mez, demez, and a heal.

Thanks for the macro. I'll have to try Animist-ing again.

And thanks for the info on Mentalists. I'm curious enough about a Castershade to level a Nightshade, but "real" casters make the most sense to me.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Twlight posted:

I could have sworn they've made changes to the distance and damage of the shade DD's but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: if anyone is playing on albion ( not cool kid hib ) I'm on right now and if you need cash/ml's etc i'd be happy to help.

Ugh. The lure of the Cabalist is great.

IIRC there were a ton of complaints about Theurgists back when I last played. Did they ever get nerfed or am I just remembering wrong?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So what's the Hib (offensive) caster that's in best shape right now in terms of RvR? Eldritch?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I was skeptical about the size of the Albion zerg until I ran into one. In Lion's Den. The 1-9 Battleground. How ~8-10 people managed to stay level 1-9 long enough to kill the three Hib in the zone and then camp right outside our keep I have no idea.

I'm probably going to reroll Alb at this point. I play a Mage in Rift, so I'm sick of always losing PvP. :smith:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I played my Eldritch for a few hours last night and got to 24 in Battlegrounds after about 3 hours. Props to the goons that helped to powerlevel me!

That said I got completely loving rolled in Thid. Walk out the keep, invisble Kobold archer three-shots me. That happened three times. Sneak around the walls to kill one last Tomte, get ganked by a... idk what, a caster with a charmed mob. Wander around with our 8-man XP group, see 4 Mids, get AOE Mez'd and picked apart. ie, exactly what made me quit the game in the first place.

It was so thoroughly discouraging and unfun that I'm wondering if a caster is for me or not. If I get physically attacked, it's over. :smith:

Does this possibly change later with RR or CL gimmicks?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Ugh, Midgard.

Can cave Shaman work or is it buff bot or get out?

e: Also this server needs its own thread like Project 1999/Shards of Dalaya/Emerald Dream/Rebirth/etc.

boho fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 22, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
What race for Shaman? And someone give me a Subterranean build; I assume the modern spell lists are totally wrong. Shaman don't autotrain anything do they?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Welp I can't see to register an account. Guess it's getting hammered.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PriNGLeS posted:

Website seems to be working fine for me.

Me too, but when I go to register a new account I get three fields:

-Account Name*
-Password*
-Password

Account Name*: Used my DAOC Origins forum name.
Password*: Forum password.
Password: If I repeat my Forum password it hangs for ~10 seconds and times out with a 503. If I type in anything else it just drops me right back on the tiny popup, says "ERROR Captcha: The Captcha is incorrect" and resets my choice to Hibernia. There is no Captcha on the page.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Ok, I'm on as Boho the Kobold (gulp) Shaman.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

sinewave posted:

Is this server still down? I can get to char select, but it wont transition into game.

Yep. People ingame (like me) can run around and talk but the world is frozen.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
There are plenty of groups. The server has been up for, what, four days?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Has anyone tried getting their account's faction changed? I'm really not enjoying Shaman and Mid's other casters don't look too hot.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

im gay posted:

Thanks. What should be specializing in as a Healer if I'm just solo grouping without a partner?

Augmentation if you're just PVE group grinding.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

im gay posted:

Rip the server

It's just straight up offline, right?

If it wouldn't drive off literally every player over level 5 I think the ideal solution would be to wipe the whole loving thing and start over. There's some rumor that their database is so full of bad data from the crafting bugs that it's going to be a laggy crashing wreck til that is fixed no matter what hardware they throw at it.

Of course for a server that was at capacity every single day after its Monday afternoon release, I'm not sure what I or anyone else expected would happen over the weekend. It was going to melt.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
There's no chance in hell they'd wipe, but yeah, I like Alb casters the best.

Apparently Hibernia ninja'd an Albion relic while the zone was frozen. Cody (the GM) wasn't too happy and posted something about how "two side RvR" isn't fun for anyone. The staff knows population balance is a problem.

Why'd everyone and their mother go Mid anyway? Weren't they the black sheep in live?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Log on to server, 1 minute later the server crashes.

I have met the enemy, and it is me.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Are Reavers worth a poo poo in the SI era?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Just looked at the updated OP -- is this new patch going to do anything to help the totally new player and/or someone disinterested in 8v8? I like Origins but gently caress if it's stability isn't infuriating.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm now getting the message "The game is closed" while trying to log onto Origins*. :suicide:

I'm going to download the live trial and see if that's any fun. Might make a Hib Vampire (no I will not spell it correctly) because I really really hate stealthers.

*e: It's now called "Genesis."

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Got a vamp to 18 on live in 3 hours solo. And they don't even solo particularly fast. There was no lag or random disconnects and half the game text wasn't in French.

gently caress Origins Genesis.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
You can pay like a gold for an NPC to give you a full suite of buffs. Might not be as good as player stuff, I really don't know.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PriNGLeS posted:

Past few days it's been quite stable. Today it has been poo poo. They've been in a frenzy working on stuff and there has been significant improvements If you're expecting a perfect performance like some of the users in this thread, you'll be disappointed.

Perfect? I'd take "below average" at this point. The loving thing melts around 10-11pm EST every single night.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Origins may as well not exist during any semblance of prime time.

Like I said I've taken to playing a Live trial account. I don't know what it's like at 50 (but I hear you just farm glass in groups til you have what you need and it's really not bad) but from 1-49 the PVE content is actually well done, gear is extremely easy to come by, BGs always have some people in them, etc. I don't know if the game is worth marrying but I'm enjoying my fling.

Right now I have two characters, Bohohoboprobono, a Vampiir that I'm having trouble enjoying, and Mentatz, a Mentalist that is easy to love after they made Charm user-friendly, gave Hib a baseline Energy nuke, and gave Mentalists an energy debuff + nearsight combo spell. The class seems really powerful now, even if they totally removed the heal part of the heal/nuke.

Also I can cast AOE DoTs which makes spergs totally furious because they think lowbies are going to obey things like target calls and trains in battlegrounds.

Downsides: The interface is still godawful and as a trial you can't use any "broadcast" style channel, so you're trapped in /say, /tell, and /guild. The newbie guild they start you in is deafeningly quiet. If you're a shy nerd that's still shy while piloting an adorable Lurikeen girl and are too afraid to send /tells to people for group formation/invites, don't play this game.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 1, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is there a "what do I do at 50" guide for Live? I'm 40 and have started doing the glass quests to level. I know you can get a full set of epic armor for no effort at 50 but I'm kind of confused as to where things like pict farming, artifacts, master levels, and all that stuff fit in.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I really regret making a caster on Origins, since lag situations (which is all the time on the server) greatly favor melee. I started a Hero to try something different but it's getting steadily harder to find groups at any level.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kudosx posted:

Solution: Delete and reroll a Mid and play with the rest of us goons!

Can't, I already had them do a realm transfer to go from Mid to Hib, and the automatic one-time transfer function didn't work for me and resulted in a deleted character I had to request a restore for.

Hopefully they'll take their heads out of their asses about ~realm pride~ real soon. If someone is willing to nuke their account to change factions loving let them with a one month cooldown to prevent spying (ha).

Of course no actual rules seem to be enforced on this server so I could probably slip by with a multiple IP request and then an auto realm change (if they even make the check that both accounts are on the same realm at any point in the multi IP process).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If you want to delete all your characters just to relic hop that's fine. You won't get back to 50/RR5/Temp in time to enjoy them anyway.

• Locked thread