Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I've made it back to Midgard! Troll or Norseman for Skald?

e: I log in for the first time today and the server crashes after 8.5 hours of uptime!

boho fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

TouchToneDialing posted:

Im a fan of norseman for every class if you plan on doing rvr. Troll is the best stat option though.

While I wait for the server to come back up, what stat distribution should I do for Norse or Troll Skald?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Goonfriend asks: Bonedancer race?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Boston got banned.

Cody posted:

Boston has been perma banned for repeated Racist comments and attacks. He has also scammed his own guildmates.

PriNGLeS posted:

It's because it's pushing out 1500-3000 FPS. Same type of thing happens when people load up Everquest on new GPUs.

Is there an configuration option to stop this in the menus?

boho fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 9, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

The good? The PVP is heavily inspired by DAoC.

The bad? Pretty much everything else. Not even kidding.

Most important TO THIS THREAD is that every "realm" has identical classes and access to identical gear, the only thing separating them are tiny, almost non-existent, racial bonuses. Like Redguard for instance has a passive ability (doesn't start unlocked you get it at like level 40) to regenerate 1 stamina per tick. Huge, right? Oh wait you have a thousand and attacks take 50-100 and beyond and jewelry quickly gets to the point where it gives 5.

Edit: Also, technically, there are also racial "ultimate" skills but they all seem like garbage.

So... Guild Wars 2?

This weekend has been miserable for trying to level 40+ on Genesis. The horrible lag frequently broke respawns, and without Standard XP Camp A or Standard XP Camp B to mindlessly grind, pubbie brains went haywire. Every ten minutes some scrub would have to point out that the XP sucked (no poo poo, the server isn't respawning mobs) and how Place X in Y zone is so much better and worth the walk. At this point half the group takes off and the other half either drop, log, or try to catch up. When we get to Place X it's empty because the server isn't spawning mobs, so the guy says WELL I MEAN THIS PLACE IS THE BEST WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??? Then we kill some wandering trash and the process repeats itself.

Also, pubbies refuse to do anything for 40+ XP outside of Frontiers. Yes, the silly XP bonuses make them the fastest places. But getting ganked kills a group because half the players ragequit/snap out of the grind trance and realize, gently caress, this is utterly miserable. There's DF too but it's unpredictable when you'll have that and you can't spam for replacements easily, and pubbies love to try to sprint straight through mobs to get to your group, wiping it, and causing 6/8 members to suddenly need to go to bed or pay attention to their wife or something.

I don't know if this is playable on the weekends. If I hadn't written an AHK script to spam login I would have said gently caress it since that alone is a 20-30 minute process of load/exit/load/exit/load/exit until you win the lottery and can log in.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
AFAIK the pet only steals the SM's XP. Right?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

3rd pet is bugged though and, if it's melee, only does DA DPS and hits only with the dex buff.

Pretty sure this might be working as intended due to the BD's hidden pet level cap:

Wayback Camelot Herald posted:

Multiple minons can be summoned, depending on the caster's level. Each minion's level is 75% of the caster's level or the maximum given in the spell, which ever is lower. There is a total hard level cap of 75 for controlled minions; this means at the highest level the 3rd minion pet will need to be of a lower level to summon.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

I can't believe the name Xxthorxxfourtwenty was available.

Did you try it in German?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

Started a Runemaster on Genesis, but drat it seems like Mid is dominating. Do you guys expect it to level off? I hate playing for the dominating faction.

It'll wax and wane. Hibernia was the overpopulated faction until Midgard capped all the relics in one night -- I think about 1/5th of Hibernia rerolled Mid after that. At some point Midgard will fill up with bads riding the bandwagon and the process will repeat.

On the other hand, no one plays Alb and I seriously doubt anyone but the most dedicated 8v8 premades ever will. They're apparently extremely hostile to "solo" (didn't come with a guild) players too, so it's kind of hosed.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

From what I understand this server will be dead once Uthgard relaunches anyway, so I'll prob hook up with you goons then.

If Uthgard is stable, playable on weekends, and actually gives a flying gently caress about a US audience, I will jump ship the instant I can. Right now if something goes wrong when the mods are asleep, the server is completely unplayable.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

edit: Looks like there's another classic freeshard in the works: http://www.reddit.com/r/daoc/comments/1xuuic/daoc_camelots_legacy/
That sounds like a complete trainwreck waiting to happen.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I really wish solo XP (on Genesis) was even slightly competitive to full group XP. Sometimes I have just an hour to play and wasting half of it to get a group invite then get to the group just makes me not want to play at all.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Cody is just awful. When the stress and power finally get to his head he's going to explode. He's just not management or leadership material.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Thane sucks.

(Or at least people have repeated that for so long that it's become true.)

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Jessant posted:

In an attempt to improve RvR balance the GM's on genesis gave three midgard guilds free level 50 and 20 plat each in albion. Yeah that Uthgard grass, so green.
http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9452&start=70

hahahahahahahahahaha

Back to live!

e: Cody's pathetic little livejournal blog posts about boo hoo it's hard to run an server inspire absolutely no confidence in him as a leader or decision maker. gently caress everything about this tragic clown and his band of do-nothing cronies.

boho fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 22, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

My thoughts exactly. What realm?

I have a Vampiir on Hib but I sort of want to switch to a hybrid tank like Champ, Thane, or Reaver. Name your poison and I'll level something with you.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

You don't have to level with me. My playing times are all over the place anyway. Would just like to roll on the realm with the most goons. That's probably Hib, right?

Really no goons play live. I'm the only one I know of.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I've been playing my Vampiir but I'll make a Thane on Midgard with you guys. Wonder if they ever made Heretics not awful?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I just want to play whatever class is best solo PvP. I'd also like to know how the gently caress to make any sense out of item progression (Glass, Scales, Picts, Tokens, Artifacts, Bounty Points, Platinum, what buys what, how do I farm what I need, do I have to group, how do you group in this game when no one talks, etc).

I'd also like to know how much USD I need to pay to a Chinese bot manager to get me gear so I can set foot in a BG and not get hit for 950HP by a stealthed Scout the instant I'm out of guard range.

boho fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 22, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Or they're just fixing what they can when they can.

Not to defend Genesis -- I stopped playing after Albgate -- but come on man. They've only been warning that all items will eventually be changed back to SI-era levels since the server opened.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Evernoob posted:

I'm also in the camp that absolutely loved the vastly increased grouping exp on Genesis. It made levelling for certain classes/specs doable or even better awesome.
I never had to search longer than 5 minutes for a group with my healer or even with my hunter.

Increased exp gain, while grouping and being social, can never be a bad thing for a game whose greatest selling point is the lvl 50 RvR.

Fast XP was one of the few things Genesis got right. Leveling was fun, no single XP spot outstayed its welcome, and people were pretty friendly since grouping was orders of magnitude better than soloing, and the only reason you'd really deserve getting kicked from a group was if you were being a complete dick.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

I said come in! posted:

Is there a free private server for DAoC? This is one of the classic MMORPGs I have never played but there is no way in hell I would pay money for this game.

Play the trial of Live, then imagine a worse interface and leveling that takes 100 times longer and requires a group.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

im gay posted:

Are there any remotely similar games to vanilla DAoC with similar PvP? I have a really bad itch.

Depends on how you define DAoC PvP.

ESO and GW2 both have 1v1v1 non-instanced persistent siege-based PvP-PvE maps. And GW2 is free to play unless you want the expansion (which is not needed to play its iteration of RvR).

If DAoC was solo zerg-surfing, both those games do pretty good impressions. GW2's is better.

If DAoC was stealth groups ganking soloers, look no further than ESO.

If DAoC was 8-man zerg busting, no, that is dead and gone. PvP design has moved away from hard disables lasting more than 3-ish seconds and AOE target caps are the norm now.

If DAoC was 8v8, honestly WoW took that ball and ran with it in 5v5 Arenas and 10v10 organized battlegrounds.

If DAoC was 8v1, you'll be happy to know that gank squads are alive and well in ESO and GW2. Maybe more in ESO since GW2's rewards are slanted heavily toward capturing objectives.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PriNGLeS posted:

GW2 WvWvW is bad and boring. Oh look I'm downed. Press butan and endlessly smash doors.
ESO, I don't even know, I got so loving bored after 30 minutes of clicking a ballista and then getting 2 shot by a trebuchet or oil or something. Game is bad.
I'll give you the same advice I was given when I identified the exact same problems in DAOC, which also was and is a bad game:

Sounds like you soloed and were new and bad. Maybe you should try finding an organized group of players who are actually GOOD? :smug:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If there's a goon consensus for Uthgard on a realm and guild you can count on my brother and I to try our best to level with you all.

I prefer playing DoT or support-type casters, so I'd probably go (in order):

Alb -- Sorc, Cab, or Minst. MAYBE Necro just for the initial PvE farm?
Hib -- Mentalist, Animist, Enchanter?, Eldritch?
Mid -- SUB SHAMAN NO DOUBT

Please, for gently caress's sake, pick a majority realm and stick to it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

clone on the phone posted:

This will never happen.

I know.

e: Goons actually did OK at sticking with Midgard at the Genesis launch.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm on board for Alb, just gotta steer my easily influenced by pubbies in zone chat brother away from Midgard.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'll be going Cab (not experienced enough to Sorc) and my brother will be going buff Cleric.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Alright, I'm torn on Sorc vs. Cab. I've read Sorc+Cleric is a potent PvP combo, but how's it fare in PvE? Are Sorcs any good soloing in PvE?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Deuce posted:

A sorc will usually be mind-spec'd for mezzing. Not great for solo, but it works. Finding good pets is key.

I've never played a charm class in DAOC before -- just in Everquest. How's charming work in DAOC? Can charm break? Does it have to be refreshed? Are charmed mobs just as strong as their non-charmed selves?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Some French Guy posted:

I suck and never played this before. Help what class should I play to not be an outcast.

Some French Guy posted:

And here I was aiming at a stealth class :/. Not gonna be a healer bitch though

These goals are not compatible, please try again.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

cams posted:

they should have put the 5-9 bgs on this server. gently caress it, 1-4 too. just let me pvp in the pvp game

Yeah. I'm way more interested in the Genesis reboot after spending a weekend on Uthgard.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

suuma posted:

Is there a reason an official DAoC TLP shard can't have the same success? Seems like with the Nostalrius fiasco there's some interest in official 'vintage' MMOs.

e: I played DAoC but not a lot so I'm not sure what eras are good/bad

I imagine DAOC live is just barely in the black. It'd simultaneously explain why EA hasn't killed it, why they haven't tried to defend the IP, and why they're totally disinterested in trying a classic server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Uthgarde's XP grind was too much for me. Hopefully Genesis doesn't suck.

• Locked thread