Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I've been playing GW2, and am still having fun...

However the taste of WvW made me remember the awesome time I used to have in RvR so many years ago. I was hoping I could experience it again but I have no idea what my login info used to be (I quit when WoW launched, and I don't think they used email account names).

Any chance I can get my account back if all I know are the different names/levels and realm ranks of the characters of that account spread over 3 servers? Don't feel like starting a fresh account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
So I contacted daoc support telling them :

-I have no idea what my account name used to be.
-I only remember char name/server of 2 of my characters.
-The credit card information I have no idea of since a friend was paying for me back then before I had a CC.
-I haven't played in about 7 years.

Only accurate information I was able to provide was my birth date and my telephone number at that time (which since then has changed twice due to new jobs). And my country/city.

I thought I had virtually no chance of recovery when I got this mail :

"Now that we have verified your account, we ask that you designate a current email so that you may successfully complete the password recovery process. (The account in question either has no email or an outdated email on file.)

Please respond at your earliest convenience and advise us which email you would like applied to the account. Once you have done so, we will update the accounts, allowing you to recover them through the Account Management site."

It only took me about an hour from my first email to get to this point. Who said their customer support was crap?

Ok, first wait and see... but at the moment I'm installing again :)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Usually Thidranki is where the fun starts.

From then on PvP is also the best way to level AND get armor (through the new bountypoint system)

You should hit 50 within a few days of playing, then go to Atlantis at lvl 46 and farm Glass. With the Glass you can buy any artifact or ML you want. Any serious player can get fully decked out for PvP within two weeks.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
As a Hibbie I always found the Blademasters to be the least powerfull of the light tanks. Years ago our 8man BM actually switched over to shieldmaster spec as main assist.

But all of that doesn't matter much if you're only 3 feet tall, does it?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well done, it also took me about a full week and tons of questions before I got mine back.
Kindof annoying I did not remember all of my character names, and original email no longer being active. And back then I didn't have a CC so our gamestore owner had a CC for that. (long before gamecards even existed)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ywain has seen some influx of bittervets, in the slipstream of the CU kickstarter.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I got mine back recently, but it took half a dozen of mails.

What didn't help my case was that the subscription was paid with the card of a friend, I did not have a CC back then.

They also asked me the answer to the secret question, but couldn't track down what the original question was (a serious case of "42").

If they're being difficult, don't give up. I thought I wouldn't get it back and the day after they mailed me the new log in data.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Just saw the 100+ new posts in my ucp...

This is very tempting but I don't know if I should.
I tried to go back to the live servers last year, but it only lasted one month. The glass thing and everybody being fully templated within a week kind of killed it for me.

So this is back to hardcore DAoC just with some accelerated levelling, but for gear its going to be mostly crafted stuff? BRILLIANT. (golden age for DAoC if you ask me).

Which version of the borderlands is it? The one with the towers or the original?
Darkness Falls?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ow yeah, those skill calculators.
While in college class I was able to reproduce those calculations to find new templates by heart :-)

Good old days.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Can anyone check how big the full install file is for this? I might wanna install it on the Windows partition of my Mac, but I only have 3gig left.

I knew I should have given windows 100gig instead of 50 ...

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Can anyone tell me how much GB the full game file folder is? I'm kind of constrained on this laptop right now and I don't feel like re-partitioning.

I played from Vanilla DAOC till they reworked the frontiers after ToA. To me it was the very best time I ever had in MMO's. But I kind of fear the animations will just seem too dated when I start playing again with my rose tinted goggles.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Woodhouse posted:

Mine's 4.4GB.

Thanks, unfortunate, only got 3gig at this time. And I don't feel like uninstalling WoT.
Let's see whatever windows component i could quietly delete.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Seems Account Creation has been disabled for a while. Apparently the (goon)rush was bigger than expected.

So Midgard it is, gonna play either Healer or Shaman, I usually played casters or healers, but I never liked the Midgard Casters much.

Evernoob fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 24, 2014

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Origins main page mentions a brand new server. Server only as in machine to run the thing, or will there be a 2nd parallel server like Ywain and Mordred (but not mordred rules ofc.)

I hope and believe it will only be a single shard.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Do we have some sort of guildroster or such? I'm not sure what i'm going to play but it will probably a dorf healer, since that is one class I never got to play last decade.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I used to have a "gimmick" augmentation troll shaman swinging a big hammer in the assist train. In Midgard. Yes on paper kobolds are a better choice, but they were definately the very first target the Choo choo assist train went for, to kill the End Regen buff (and other buffs) on the whole team.
Troll swinging a big hammer was definately far down the list of prime targets. I would only switch to healing mode when one of our healers was getting pummeled too much.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Account Registration seems to be back up.

Created an account, created a Healer on Midgard, but when pressing "play" the screen went black and back to character select. So I guess the server is down (or something like that).

Evernoob fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 26, 2014

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Actually I wouldn't even mind it if the only available gear was the craftable gear. DaoC had pretty much the best crafting system (besides the grind maybe) for gear, which they broke by introducing powercreep artifacts.

Leave loot drops like 90% quality for leveling, but fight in the Frontiers with craftable gear. Best gear would be a full 100% spellcrafted, alchemy'd set custom made just for you.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Above pretty much sums up the very best thing about the DAOC crafting system/economy.

The addition of indestructible artifacts and the whiners who thought item decay was a bad thing really messed it all up.

With item decay people also wouldn't be as obsessed to get the very best optimized spellcrafted template, and wearing 99% armor would be accepted.

Off course this does imply people would need to earn plat to regularly buy new equipment, which the hardcore RvR peepz totally dismissed.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
And as good as Mid Mellee 8-mans are, when it comes to keep defenses nothing beats some good old fashioned nuking.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Finally managed to get in some playtime today. Started up a healer like I planned, and to my delight the server seems very newbie friendly.
Immediately got invited into a newbie group and we leveled from 1 to 11 in about an hour, without any twinkage or so. People are really looking to fill up those groupslots as the bonus grouping exp is really worth it.

If any goons are that low I'd love to team up the next time I get online to get some leveling done.

PS : what is the most sought after during leveling : an Aug healer (for haste and buffs) or a Pac healer (for power regen and mezzes)? I'm going tri-spec anyway but want to know which to raise first.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Same here, couldn't log on on sunday.

So you don't want to join BK because the server hates them, but you do want to join a Goon guild. A Goon guild which I can assure you the server will learn to hate even more?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
On Saturday I leveled my Healer from 1 to 11 with a bunch of friendly pubbies. I didn't manage to get online on Sunday, so when I logged back in on Monday I found 3 of those pubbies were in their twenties (a RL friends group apparently).

They invited me anyway because my power buff and tiny heals + group bonus made them gain a nice amount of extra exp. And I was also getting great exp.

Never not group on Genesis.

I had also forgotten about the mechanic that unspecced baseline spells had a huge variance. In other games specializing always meant higher damage/healing numbers. But I don't recall ever seeing spells varying to lower numbers when unspecced.
I really dig this mechanic.

I have played so many MMO's over the past decade, and I came to like a couple of them. But none of them have made me care so much about the possibilities that each class had.

Camelot unchained would start with only 4 Archetype classes, I seriously hope they duplicate the same kind of specialization DaoC has, with permanent class defining choices.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
WvWvW pairing mechanic from Guildwars for me was their greatest contribution to RvR idea's. An auto balancing mechanism over time that pairs (well is 3 a pair?) up servers of similar strength.

If asymmetric classes are too big of a (balancing) challenge for modern gaming, this is the way to go IMO. No server population balance issues.
The only drawback is that you cannot have a nemesis enemy group/guild/player since these would eventually rotate away.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Actually from 10 years ago I remember a 3-Healer group to be the terror of the server on Guinevere.

3 Healers, a Shaman, a Skald , a Warrior as main assist and I believe two Zerkers (I think this was pre-SI, not sure).
They didn't care much for Keep defense , but their favourite past time was simply rushing into the AMF zergs (Alb vs Hib) and coming out almost unharmed.

Yes off course this can be countered and all, but it was beautiful.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I know Skald is there for speed 5 mostly, but I would never leave them out of my group. They have some decent on-demand burst which they can pop on critical targets.
They lack the quality of other realm's Musicians though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I really dig the guildname a lot.
Depending on server accessibility (I've only been able to log in and play twice) I'll certainly join.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have not been able to log in on Thursday.
Usually when I don't get in I get a message in the top left part of the loading screen saying "too many players online" or something. But now it just gave the "hit escape" text.

Some people will always behave like elitists and only allow certain classes. And at some point they'll go RR5+ and then RR8+ ...

I found it very fun to beat those specific 8mans with "subpar" groups with a skilled Animist for example. We also regularly had a Ranger in our 8-man, and he was definitely able to contribute. (Shar Ranger nonetheless, tough bastards).

That said, the pure stealthclasses usually had their own minigame in Emain, running around solo or in small groups hunting for stragglers and opposing stealthers. Or even better, camp out in Darkness Falls and terrorize opposing noobs levelling.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I just built a new Rig, so I am still closely monitoring the temperatures and other parameters.

Obviously running DAOC doesn't take much from my new computer, BUT I noticed that in the character select screen the temperature of my GPU reaches higher levels than in any "recent/new" game I have loaded in the last few days. I even feel the hot air blowing out of the fan. Weird! Anyone else noticed this?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I finally managed to play for about two hours yesterday, between all the server restarts and Euro Primetime and got in a few levels on my Healer.

Mostly putting my points into Pac right now, because that skilline is just more fun during pve grouping and power regen without PoM is just brutally low without. I will probably keep this up till 40 and then respec.

As I never played Midgard in the past I do want to know : how important is an Aug Healer in an 8-man? At first glance all they bring to the table is Haste Buff and Celerity (+Resist Buffs). I know this is close to 40% mellee haste, but does this really warrant the loss of all the goodies in the Pac tree. My main gripe is losing the Mez cure.

I expect that the role of the Aug Healer is primarily also Mending the team, while the Pac healer tries to establish control. Therefore I would go 44 Aug for the highest celerity, and then 31 Mending.

I always played Hib/Alb in the past, so I really don't know the true value of this specline

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for confirming this. As I said I have only ever been on the receiving end of this as it is a Midgard only mechanic.

So the fact that the rest of the Spec Skills in the Augmentation line are of questionable value do not offset the worth of the haste buffs (+resist buffs, the good ones).

I do like primary healing a lot though, so I guess I won't miss being the Pac Healer. Hope I still get into PVE groups easily once I respec from Pac to Aug at 40

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

Your self str/con is nice to have. And just get in melee groups. Bomb groups obviously won't want a pac healer.

"Aug Healer" I bet.

That's no problem, I never really liked bomb groups back in the day. One trick ponies.
Off course we are still on old RA's so without the determination changes and all bomb groups might be stronger now than I remember in the early TOA era.

I guess with the absence of dedicated Buffbots having my own Str/Con saves the shaman some concentration.

I saw we had two lvl 50 Bonedancers in guild. I don't remember that class to be anything interesting for PvP. What am I missing? Are the the absolute Troll class or so?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Back in the day exp groups took pretty much anyone except for when a key role was missing. I cannot imagine an alb pve group turning down a paladin ever. They are pretty much the embodiment of pve.

For RvR it is what is said above. After years of experience, even on a fresh server, people gravitate to cookiecutter classes that are optimal for RvR. Some classes, even while very strong tend to fall out of favour (thanes, champions, ...).

As for a SM, I don't think I've ever heard people complain in a group for summoning their pet. And in RvR they can actually intercept blows.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Server population is capped at 1100 currently. What is a healthy maximum population count if you count 50% of the population to be busy in Frontiers/DF? Or has there never been "too many people in frontiers".

As I couldn't log on into DAOC yesterday I fired up GW2 again after more than a year, and went straight to the WvWvW. I actually had fun. But this was purely due to a competent commander (with an icon above his head / showing on minimap) who was leading out 30man minizerg.
My biggest gripe about that WvWvW zone is the lack of open space between the different landmarks. But then again they don't have Speed 5. +33% swiftness is about it.

Most RvR is concentrated in Emain, but if population was really too high the other two frontiers would definitely be used a lot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Can't get in either today. 3rd day in a row I can't log during Euro Primetime :(

I'm trying really hard to get sucked back into this game but it doesn't let me. Maybe it's for my own good.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
To me the exp actually seemed at a very good point. It really encourages grouping (as it should), and kind of discourages powerleveling like in the old days (also like it should).
As finding a group to exp/pve with is very easy, you can easily play classes/builds that aren't so pve/solo friendly. And as the extra bonus exp from adding one extra groupmember at least compensates the loss of regular exp people will pretty much take any class/spec in their group as long as they have at least one healer (role, not class).

But all this positive wall of text still doesn't allow me to play during Euro Primetime. Just can't seem to get in when I want to :(

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Finally managed to get online some hours, with a decent exp party clearing out DF until mobs stopped respawning. Went from 18 to 29 in a couple of hours. Do not solo on this server.

Also many thanks Hawkeye for that chain gear. Still being butt nekkid at level 29 was kind of annoying (not that it matters much for a healer)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
After server reboot I managed to get a full melee group together and headed to frontier. Lvl 36 now. Soon I will have to decide. Pac or aug.

If Uthgard relaunches I really hope they include the group bonus. It really improves the community and people are even glad to invite stealth.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
If they manage to keep Genesis up and running, and stable, while increasing the population cap I won't be going anywhere. The state of the game as it is now, with the increased grouping bonus is close to the best memories I had from DAoC.

I do wonder if the population cap (currently 1100) divides the 3 realms equally, or a 600-300-200 imbalance is possible.

What kind of "machine" of a Server do I need to imagine they are running? Is this something that is easily build for a moderate amount of money? Or do they need special server architecture and a special agreement with their ISP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I was looking for an out of date (uthgard/genesis) crafting guide. I want to pick up armorcrafting but frankly I have no idea where to start.
Even 10y ago I never bothered with crafting, as I had some friends who were really into it and I just dumped all my salvage on them and they always supplied me with whatever equipment I needed.

Do we have a Guild Emblem btw? I am currently trying to find a cloak (no luck on vendors, and none have dropped for me yet)
And what are our mandatory guild colors?

• Locked thread