Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Anyone got this running on a mac? Tempted to fire this up on my MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Going to try running this in Parallels tonight on my MBP. Can't believe I'm coming back to this game (bought it when I first came out).

Is Albion where most of you are? If I'm eventually going to run an stealth character (so Inf. in this case), I'm guessing I should run something cheap and easy first like a Theurgist?

I'm probably 70/30 in terms of solo/grouping

Any particular build?

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Worfus posted:

Most theurgs run 41 ice 35 earth for rvr pet spam. You put all into earth until 35 for the yellow PBT, then afk for 10 mins between rebuffing in every group thereafter. Easier than leveling a necro I bet, though I have no idea why you'd ever plan to level anything but a main character. It is completely brutal getting to 50 on any class, just make your inf and be done with it.

Fair enough. Just figured I'd level something easier to farm the cash for my 2nd character but maybe I'll just roll an Inf and see how I get with groups and general levelling.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

succ posted:

Any goon groups on Uthgard still?

Haven't played with any goons yet but I started in albion. Levelling a theurg to farm some cash and crafting.

Forgot how much I miss this game but gently caress me the levelling grind is bringing back nightmares

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Evernoob posted:

I was looking forward to try Uthgard, but the grind is just too rough for my current life.
As a student I had plenty of time for stuff like that, but no more.

Genesis leveling was perfect, the grouping bonus was so big it didn't matter who you took with you , as long as those spots got filled. So you had group members with up to 10 levels apart.
Finding a group was piss easy.

On Uthgard it's the other way around, bunch of elitists perform a whole risk analysis before they let you "leech" their precious exp.

For the record : I did not mind the slow leveling experience on the latest Everquest progression server, but that is because pve is the endgame of EQ.
However no-one plays Uthgard for it's pve.
I'm not saying /level 50 should be possible as players would spend to much time switching classes and too many noobs would be running clueless around the fronties... (not that I would mind if they're on the opposing team.. héhé) ; but getting to 50 should not take a month with 4 hours 5 nights a week.

Seems to be the general consensus on the forums for this. The die hard fans from 15 years ago have gotten married/had kids and can't poopsock their way to 50 anymore. If you're not a desired class for groups, you're going to be pulling your hair out soloing. Just sticking to one character (theurgist) for the time being and hopefully (don't count on it), they release some kind of XP adjustment (I'd love for XP loot to return). I'm just taking it in stride and crafting and doing other things to avoid the constant XP grind.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

boho posted:

Uthgarde's XP grind was too much for me. Hopefully Genesis doesn't suck.

Is there any information on these other servers? I hear Genesis thrown around, same with Origins and even some reports of the actual game considering a classic ruleset. Is there any dates or timescales to these or are they too far in the future to put a date on?

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Been playing this the last couple weeks and still having a blast. I find that although the leveling can be slow compared to the live servers, it's been really easy to get groups (even as an inf.). Sure Albion has a necro power leveling epidemic, but It hasn't stopped my ability to level and find groups.

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017

Heskie posted:

I started on Hib with my brother as some friends were already established there. Hit around level 30 but he has since jumped ship from Hib to Alb as he was getting sick of being turned away from groups as a Hero.

There seems to be a weird focus pull obsession in Hib even though the few times I've had some 'non-optimal' melee group the exp has been comparable if not sometimes better as we spend time actually playing the game and killing stuff rather than filling spots with the best possible combination of classes. My brother had one instance where a group he had invited everyone to tried to vote him out as he wasn't optimal for focus pulling.

Several times I've been in groups of 5-6 who opt to turn down a similar levelled Blademaster/Hero/etc as they weren't 'optimal', preferring to have 2-3 empty slots in the group instead. It seems crazy to me. DPS is DPS. That BM could be hitting poo poo and we could move to a better camp.

I don't have this issue personally as I've been playing Bard/Warden and always seem welcome, but it leaves a bad taste.

Does Alb have this sort of thing with grouping? I'm thinking of moving to Alb to join up with my brother (He's an Armsman, me as either Paladin/Sorc/Theug)?

Any of those will be fine choices and you'll be able to get groups as long as you don't AT the Paladin all the way to 48.

Paladin needed for endo chants. Without a paladin, endo regent is brutal.

Theurg will be wanted in groups for PBT which in later levels you'll find you can probably go AFK for periods of time and no one will know/care

Sorc will be wanted in groups for PoM and good for CC when tackling groups of mobs in PVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
I'm playing on uthgard - Level 50 infiltrator here (littlejoey).

• Locked thread