Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Panda is correct, its bob's minimal UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm down for that tonight, I don't think I have any other obligations

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Goon RvR highlight of the night: Finding a group of 25+ stealthers.

http://i.imgur.com/jVTIz.jpg

Only picture I got of it but god drat, never seen anything like it. I've seen stealth zergs but that was something else.

I got shot by so many archers all at once :(

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Man, you guys all sure get to bed on time. Which sucks for someone on the west coast who stays up late.

I'm usually up lateish after everyone else logs but because I don't have much to do on my hero or eld except do more glass quests for champ xp, I just screw around on alts, some of which aren't guilded.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah solo I think you're asking for it, unfortunately.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Melee wardens end up using ML styles, and they're still on the healer damage table, so the results regardless of what you do aren't going to be amazing probably.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I think we're way better off with a melee group than we are with a pile of casters on content like the dragon. I can't remember what the group makeups were but I think myself and Slaught were the only two that could really tank the dragon to begin with.

I'm working on getting my hero to CL10 for as much hp as possible, and respecing my realm abilities to get some more mastery of blocking. If I can get him to CL10, I should have around 3300-3400 hp with red buffs. Just over 3k now at CL6 and vendor buffs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bloodbath posted:

I've almost got a Spiritmaster to level 50 :) Does anyone have a template or anything for SMs? I'm not even sure which spec to use at 50, presumably I'll be PvEing for a while getting gear etc so I'll probably try Summoning

This is what I use on my RM and SM, I just pass the gear back and forth between the two of them:

Statistic
Strength: 0/75
Constitution: 76/75
Dexterity: 107/103
Quickness: 0/75
Intelligence: 0/75
Piety: 102/101
Charisma: 0/75
Empathy: 0/75
Hits: 405/414
Power: 0/33

Resistance
Body: 26/26
Cold: 32/26
Heat: 26/26
Energy: 27/26+5
Matter: 27/26
Spirit: 36/26
Crush: 27/26+5
Thrust: 27/26
Slash: 26/26

Skill
Darkness: 11/11
Summoning: 11/11
Suppression: 11/11

Focus
Darkness: 50/50
Summoning: 50/50
Suppression: 50/50

Cap Increase
Dexterity: 23/26
Piety: 36/26
Hits: 174/200
Power: 8/50

TOA Bonus
Armour Factor: 24/50
Power Pool: 37/33
Casting Speed: 11/10
Spell Range: 14/10
Spell Damage: 11/10
Archery Damage: 11/10
Archery Range: 14/10
Archery Speed: 11/10
Resist Pierce: 15/10

Chest (Astral Tunic of Virulence):
Imbue: 26.0
Power Pool: 7
Acuity: 21
Constitution: 21
ALL magic skills: 3
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 8
Casting Speed: 4
Spell Damage: 4
Utility: 43.0
TOA Utility: 70.0
PvE Utility: 0.0

Arms (Crafted):
Imbue: 37.5/32 (Quality: 99)
Slash: 11%
Thrust: 5%
Crush: 11%
Dexterity: 10
Utility: 60.7
TOA Utility: 0.0

Head (Cloth Cap (All ToA)):
Imbue: 19.0
Acuity (Cap Increase): 10
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 10
Hits: 30
Spirit: 3%
Matter: 3%
Energy: 3%
Heat: 3%
Cold: 3%
Body: 3%
Resist Pierce: 5
Utility: 43.5
TOA Utility: 65.0

Legs (Astral Pants of Stellar Warding):
Imbue: 16.5
Dexterity: 21
ALL magic skills: 2
Piety (Cap Increase): 10
Armour Factor: 14
Spell Range: 3
Casting Speed: 4
Utility: 24.0
TOA Utility: 83.0

Hands (Crafted):
Imbue: 35.5/32 (Quality: 99)
Body: 5%
Thrust: 9%
Constitution: 13
Dexterity: 28
Utility: 55.3

Feet (Crafted):
Imbue: 37.0/32 (Quality: 99)
Crush: 5%
Thrust: 7%
Slash: 9%
Hits: 76
Utility: 61.0

Two-Handed (Astral Staff of Swarms):
Imbue: 17.0
ALL magic skills: 2
Hits: 40
Piety (Cap Increase): 11
Power Pool: 10
ALL spell lines (Focus): 50
Spell Damage: 4
Dexterity: 12
Utility: 29.0
TOA Utility: 87.0

Neck (Luminescent Diamond Necklace):
Imbue: 46.5
Constitution: 12
Cold: 6%
Heat: 6%
Matter: 6%
Crush: 6%
Thrust: 6%
Slash: 6%
Hits: 30
Hits (Cap Increase): 35
Acuity: 12
Utility: 95.5
TOA Utility: 8.8

Cloak (astral cloak of the etrenal):
Imbue: 29.0
ALL magic skills: 4
Dexterity: 21
Acuity: 21
Power (Cap Increase): 8
Casting Speed: 3
Spell Damage: 3
Spell Range: 2
Utility: 48.0
TOA Utility: 70.0

Jewel (Erinys Charm (Mid)):
Imbue: 32.0
Constitution: 15
Piety: 15
Energy: 5%
Spirit: 5%
Crush: 5%
Hits: 40
Spell Range: 5
Utility: 60.0
TOA Utility: 50.0

Belt (Soulbinder's Belt):
Imbue: 46.0
Body: 7%
Cold: 7%
Heat: 7%
Energy: 7%
Matter: 7%
Spirit: 7%
Hits: 35
Hits (Cap Increase): 40
Utility: 92.8
TOA Utility: 10.0

Left Ring (Dragontooth Bracelet):
Imbue: 31.0
Dexterity: 15
Cold: 4%
Heat: 4%
Spirit: 4%
Hits: 50
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 5
Acuity (Cap Increase): 5
Hits (Cap Increase): 55
Acuity: 15
Utility: 56.5
TOA Utility: 33.8

Right Ring (Zahur's Ring):
Imbue: 40.0
Body: 6%
Energy: 6%
Matter: 6%
Spirit: 6%
Hits: 60
Utility: 75.0

Left Wrist (Agramon's Demon Soul Crafted Bracer):
Imbue: 36.0
Constitution: 15
Heat: 6%
Energy: 6%
Spirit: 6%
Hits: 44
Hits (Cap Increase): 44
Utility: 69.0
TOA Utility: 11.0

Right Wrist (Bracelet of Zo'arkat):
Imbue: 24.0
Body: 5%
Matter: 5%
Spirit: 5%
Power Pool: 6
Acuity: 18
Spell Range: 4
Utility: 42.0
TOA Utility: 32.0

Mythirian (Drop):
Imbue: 0.0
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 5
Armour Factor: 10
Hits (Cap Increase): 40
Utility: 0.0
TOA Utility: 30.0

The Mythirian slot is just the armor bonuses. Also this template is pretty expensive.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm a no go :(

Wife and I are going to look at cars for her in a bit and then do dinner in the city somewhere, I'll be on at some point tonight though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

We lost all of the relics because you weren't online to help us defend them, AKA troll /as.

Yeah I tried getting a group in both /as and lfg and nothing :(

I eventually ended up with that Highlander guy who I'm not a big fan of, but after a rocky start we did ok for the brief time I was on.

I think from now on I'm running with the guild or Taunting Fate (they seem to like me enough) or not at all.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

fishhooked posted:

Fine! But I refuse to level me up a buff bot!

I'll be in as a mentalist in a bit (is that ok?)

In as Combatcharles

Don't need a buff bot, you can buy realm buffs now that last 2 hours (32g at the highest level).

Also if leveling was still at a glacial pace like it was in classic/SI era I would have quit before my 14 day trial ran out. Its light years better now.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I got Midgard pangs again so made a Berserker for a bit. Mids are the best :I

My brother wanted to play a mid duo so we rolled a few characters and I picked up an old skald I had and ran around solo in thid and then the 25-29 bg for a bit last night.

I just don't want to level another hib character and both of mine are templated and ML10/CL10 so I'm just not sure what to do now. The people I like to RvR with other than the guild have told me they mainly run Thursday-Saturday.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm not 100% sure but I think one pulses (meaning it ticks every 5 seconds or so) and is basically reapplied every tick and has a chance to be resisted by the mob, and also drains power.

So if you send your pet in to attack something and then a couple ticks in a row get resisted, it may turn around and attack you instead.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Twlight posted:

Come to the dark side of albion.....

Never.

Mid has been where I've always played except for jumping to Hib with goons just a few weeks ago, but I will absolutely never play alb. There's more than enough of you as is and zerging is boring as hell.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, seriously skip 5-9, the starter quest zone takes you to 10 with ease, there really isn't a reason to cut off from that to go to the battlegrounds.

Hell I even hate 10-14 because of that drat shallow water. But its better/faster than regular questing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Squiggoth posted:

So I moved my 42 Shaman and 30-something Valkyrie over to Ywain6. Any suggestions for finding good helpful guilds on Midgard side? Or Alb if I poke around there? The community seems very elitist despite this being a fairly old and antiquated game, I kinda figured more folks would be super helpful like the Cult members are. Oh well.

If you don't mind zerging look into Odyssey. They have some weird practices and probably won't powerlevel you or anything but they're ultimately helpful and nice people overall, and they aren't picky on who they bring in.

They have guild and alliance meetings that are mandatory attendance if you're online, so you get to go to the their guild hall, sit in a seat, and take your helmet/weapon off and listen to a bunch of old people complain over vent. So try to avoid those if you can.

I dropped my characters out of there because it was really boring running around with 3 groups in labyrinth, plus the whole RP guild meeting thing. And the whole not really playing mid anymore thing, except in battlegrounds.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

bomb posted:

Ah I hadn't realized that added buffer NPCs, are they yellow buff equivalent or something(instead of red?).

At max level (the ones outside DL/Svasud Faste/whatever alb has) are 32g for a full set of regular yellow buffs. They're a little off of getting buffs from a bot with +25% stat enhancement but not by a ton. As an added benefit they last for 2 hours and don't drop if you zone.

The realm buffers in the BGs give level appropriate sets. (grey buffs in 10-14 bg, grey/green in 15-19, blue in 30-34, etc)

Heroism pots are nice as field buffs for when you die out in NF but that's about it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I *may* have nuked a couple of you down tonight on my RM, sorry about that :(

I hopped on to see how the rm compared to the eld, and hopped in what I thought was an 8v8 group. Then as we're out running around we joined in with another couple of groups and ran around together. Which kind of worked out I guess because there were like 100-110 albs hitting mid keeps last night, but I still hate running with that many people.

We definitely hit an alliance group at bled bridge as we were moving out, and I saw at least 3 culties that I got target on. Pretty sure I nuked down Ral on his druid and Jeahs.

Either way, RM doesn't compare at all to eld and I'll be back playing that tonight probably.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ralconn posted:

Go do glass quests in Atlantis and hit 50 then do some real RvR.

Yeah, get to 50 so you too can be rolled by a pile of albs:

http://imgur.com/T1Kby

Last night was a really good rvr night in the group Jeahs and I were in. We ended up with about 40k RPs and an absolutely epic fight at a keep where Mids had twice or 3x our numbers, and we held them off for a long, long time. I seriously have no idea how long it was because it was just straight up chaiin casting at anyone who came up the steps to the roof.

Here's the inevitable result: http://imgur.com/T3wuZ

However, it was fun as hell.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This is really convoluted, but:

1. Give the Winged Helm Credit to the sphynx you bought it from (you should get a message on how you've completed the encounter)
2. Find the <x Affairs> person in that same hall that does the Winged Helm encounter (just keep looking, he's in there somewhere)
3. Once you find him, pick Winged Helm, he'll ask you for the book, hand him the book and you should get the item.

Then you get to level it, which mercifully doesn't take long at all anymore. Also keep doing glass quests for money, more glass to buy artifacts and master levels, and afrits that you can turn in to the crystal titan outside of Green Glades in Aerus.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

You have to buy them all individually, so its like 20k glass or something. It goes pretty quick though especially if you need money and champion exp anyway.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Its not Kzar anymore, but Albs are still zerging, yes. Last few nights they've been running anywhere from 90-100 together, but I've seen it be up to about the 170s. Its pretty insane.

I think the zerg leader there now is Billings.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Are there any goon guilds in this, and if so, on what servers/realms?

The majority of us are on Hibernia. Doesn't matter which of the Ywain servers you pick, they're all linked.

slev posted:

Are people still paying $30 a month so they can have a buff bot? They were pretty common when I played this 7-8 years ago.

Some do (me), but you can get by with the realm buffers just fine.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

How fast is leveling these days? Did they add any new mechanics to speed it up and/or make it interesting, or is it still just grinding a good spawn with 7 other shitheads until you get carpal tunnel, want to strangle yourself, or hit 50?

Have you read literally any of this thread at all?

Leveling is faster than ever and you can do it solo if you really feel like it. There's a new starter zone that takes you to 10 pretty quickly, and from there you do repeatable battlegrounds quests for tons of xp, bounty points, and probably some realm points as you're leveling in a pvp area.

I've leveled 3 characters to 50 now on hib, having previously not played hib ever, and each of them took around 14 hours. Some people are getting it done even faster than that now.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Nope, didn't read the thread at all. Sorry. :)

Also, holy poo poo? 50 in 14 hours? I guess I have to give this a shot. This'll work out nicely as I never played Hibs when I originally played... ten years ago. drat.

Yeah, its miles better. Basically do battlegrounds quests from 10-45, and glass quests from 45-50.

Also group up as much as you can for the BG quests, there really is no benefit to doing them solo. The more people you have, the faster they go.

Some battlegrounds will be a struggle (20-24, 35-39), because they're the ones where people stop and rvr, but you can still get things accomplished, just not as quickly.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

What might help is to put a note on each of your characters saying who they belong to.

/gc noteself Combo would give me a note next to my name in the guild window that just said Combo.

That said, I think I have all my alts noted (except my ranger I think) and I'm hoping people actually know who I am :v:

Could always list them here too I guess.

Adenosine
Adeno
Tkemper
Berglund

I think that's it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Lab/Laby = Labyrinth, specifically the Labyrinth of the Minotaur in Agramon (located in the NF zone). Not to be confused with the Shar Labyrinth, a PvE area. Laby is an RvR dungeon which is popular with stealthers. It can also be good for 8v8 action, because the small corridors mean you have to employ some tactics. Don't solo as a visi here, though.

Its also good for getting run over by 3-4 groups of mids that otherwise never see the light of day.

But yeah at the very least, Laby is very quick RvR action, you don't have to go far to find fights.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Do the PVE quests. Just ask the BG channeler to port you to the town in your bracket, and there will be a shitton of quests available for you. They're a lot faster than the RVR quests and reward the exact same gear as the BP rewards for that bracket, but you don't get any RP or BP out of doing them.

Those quests stop at 35. Yes you can still do them but they won't get you all the way out of the Molvik leveling bracket (I thought, anyway).

If things got really bad in Molvik I'd just leave and go grind mobs behind the relic wall in frontiers. Good camps out there for that level range, and a lot of bonus xp.

Certainly not as fast as BG quests but I definitely know things Molvik can get impossible to get anything accomplished.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, if you can do it at offpeak hours you shouldn't have much of an issue. Its when you're going out there during prime time that you aren't going to get a drat thing done.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Kazvall posted:

2h PA is still pretty viable, I think. I wouldn't use it much after that, though, because breaking through defense will be pretty hard. So, 50 sword specs are out, I'd say.

Yeah, from what I know, 50 LA is the way to go now.

I do miss the old critblade 2h spec, one shotting casters in Caledonia all drat day.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

grass posted:

I think they might have done something to help this, I started a merc about 5 days ago, with playing about 5 hours a day he's now lvl 29. got into some good groups, but also spent some time soloing. This was my first character in DAOC in about 8 years so lots of wandering around trying to find quest npc's and such.

Im enjoying the hell out of it, I need some more Albion people to back me up in the BG's tho, the server is very unbalanced for realm wars.

That's great and all but in 25 hours of gameplay you could have 2 50s on live, or 3 if you got lucky with BG groups. 25 hours to get 29 levels (the easiest 29 levels by the way, you aren't going 21-50) is horrible.

And quests were not the way to go in old DAoC, if you're running around trying to do them, you're doing it wrong.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I definitely understand, and do whatever you like, obviously, but I'd say to anyone that's played live recently, going back to classic type grinds is going to be hellish and boring.

If you enjoy playing battlegrounds its pretty easy to just turn xp off and hang around them for as long as you want. Hell, in Midgard there's a bonedancer in the 20-24 battleground with the Lone Enforcer title (2000 solo kills). There are plenty of people at all levels, and if you don't want to do those, the PvE quests from 1-30 (or 35?) are probably more quest content than DAoC originally had anyway.

I got my first suits of armor in daoc by grinding mobs and doing one time drop quests.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

What are some of the good guild on mid and how would I go about approaching them? It seems that finding a group for RvR as a guildless 50 is impossible.

I'll give you my nice, biased opinion from the short time I played mid before I switched over to hib:

Odyssey - huge guild, huge alliance. They have monthly guild meetings and monthly alliance meetings, mandatory attendance, and yes you have to remove your weapons and helmet and sit down in the basement of the guild house while the GM stands in the middle and talks to everyone (over ventrilo).

They zerg everywhere but spend most of their time in Laby.

That all said, they're extremely nice, and helpful, and inclusive, so the guild meeting weirdness aside if you're just starting out they're great to join.

Barbarian Tendencies - Known elsewhere as Biggtyme's group, they're part of the Odyssey alliance and will join the zerg at times, or go their own separate way with their own zerg. Also spend a huge majority of their time in Laby.

MidKnight - Also part of the Odyssey alliance, have never seen them NOT in Laby. I thought they ran an 8 man and were a bit more elitist/picky but they also apparently just run a Laby zerg and latch on to Odyssey sometimes.

Einherjar's Vengeance - Another Odyssey alliance guild, runs their own stuff or hops in the zerg.

I Hate People - Nice enough, not a lot of people on at the times I was playing so I left quick, but they do stuff together and try to run smallman(ish) guild groups. Were in their own alliance with a few other small guilds that mostly did nothing from what I remember.

The Scarlet Knights - Separate but also big alliance, runs a zerg as well but at least does it in frontiers. They're usually the owners of the nightly public battlegroup that anyone can hop in and sidecar with their zerg or try to find a group (I had no problem finding a group as an unguilded runemaster).

That's about all I know, there are some other guilds I can't think of right now but most of them are just small groups that run whatever they have online and float/orbit around the TSK zerg depending on how many albs are out.

Combo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 14, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Ohh I forgot about Bigtyme. I think I used to roll with him on Gareth. Is he a big green troll with a smoker's voice?

Big blue troll skald but yes. He runs Barbarian Tendencies, and is the regular 3 group laby zerg

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

You have to re-buy the house, lot, porch, merchant, vault, bind stone, etc. All that is repossessed when you don't pay your rent for too long. The vault merchants are just there so that you don't completely lose whatever you had in there.

Also, had a really nice RvR run tonight, we hit both NF and Laby, had a couple of massive fights with a Laby zerg and killed them like 3 times. Overall ended up at like 48k RPs, and I hit rr4 (and almost 4L1).

Fun to kill my old mid guild :woop: And to exploit what I always yelled at them about but they still do.

Combo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 16, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Echo_ posted:

So how long does it take now to get to level 50 now? Based off of reading this thread, it seems most people level up in the BGs? Does anyone do regular PvE anymore? Do people go to DF? Also how many players are online in the main server during peak time? I used to play maybe ~9-10 years ago (holy poo poo) on Tristan. For some reason, I'm really nostalgic about DAOC and I'm considering picking it up again this summer. Nothing like doing relic raids with hundreds of people on dial-up.

Like Geisladisk said, not long at all. I've taken 3 characters to 50 on hib now, all in around 14 hours /played.

The best leveling is repeatable quests in the BGs. People do some regular PvE but if you mean just straight out grinding, not really.

People still go to DF, a group of 4 of us went and took down one of the High Lords for the hell of it just the other day. Its not insanely packed like it used to be, mostly stealthers now I'd assume.

As far as the amount of players, there are tons. All the servers are linked, and all the Europeans are here now as well, so there are two different prime times (US and Euro) and people on at all hours of the day doing crap.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the dodecahedron shield spell effect.

Yeah they really love that thing. Four of us were doing hulks/knights/whatever in DF and someone kept having a huge one of them go off on the mob periodically and nobody knew who's effect it was, it was huge though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Kazvall posted:

So true. The way you should be doing it, is having one dude sit at the quest giver, while the other two pwn his exp bar, then you trade places.

I don't think you can do this anymore, they hotfixed a range into quests, unless they took it back out. I know you can't level a bot by parking it at the keep in a BG and grouping with it anymore, and my bot wasn't getting credit for green glades stuff when I had it sitting at haven.

edit:

From 3/5 on the herald

quote:

A change has been made to the Battleground and new Atlantean Glass quests. Credit for these quests is now only granted in the area around the monster spawns.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

How bad are the earlier glass quests? (The ones in Oceanus I think?) If they level you even remotely as well as the ones that are level 45+ you could get out of the Molvik bracket pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I haven't played in like a week but I'll be back in sometime this weekend before/after all the drat fantasy baseball drafts I have to do.

• Locked thread