Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
No bots.
And people were regularly banned for buffbotting and bot-botting. There was a public bans forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

If they see anyone on the same IP or on the same router they watch to make sure there are real live people playing or they will probate the poo poo out of you.

I think after they watched and then suspected they would port you to their "test zone" and would make you do simultaneous movements and poo poo. Then ban you if you failed.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Sounds like how you play daoc in hell.

Yeah, the coolest part of DAoC was how it became $30 a month to play.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
GW2 WvWvW is bad and boring. Oh look I'm downed. Press butan and endlessly smash doors.
ESO, I don't even know, I got so loving bored after 30 minutes of clicking a ballista and then getting 2 shot by a trebuchet or oil or something. Game is bad.
WoW PvP is alright, though, I guess. Battlegrounds are poo poo. Arenas are cool, rated BG's are whatever.
Nothing is really comparable because it's all "for funsies" pvp without any actual benefit or character progression. Or I guess you can get some stupid rear end mount and a boring title in WoW.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Mux posted:

RIP winning 8 vs 100 fights pre-LA nerf, 3 healer setups. You were a fun thing to happen.

It was briefly (well kind of brief? a couple of months) back right after ToA released. The hardcore groups that got ml10 while the rest of the server was 1-3. Held off a 150 man relic raid with 8. 3 tanks, 2 druids, bard, 2 animists. Easily the coolest thing I've ever done in a videogame. Well I guess it was kind of 16. Another 8 man was running interference/intercepting additional groups/people porting back.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Are you sure you played daoc?

Yeah, I wasn't bad so I had groups to play with.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Server is pretty cool so far. Up to 28 on a bard. PvP gives so much xp. Got 1.9 levels doing a suicide chain after my group called it quits last night.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Now the guild is like 3/4 the server and there's no one to kill.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, the cool thing about those shards were how none of them lasted for more than a month.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I guess you're talking about lethantis. Everything is hosed up and broken on that server.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

im gay posted:

I wanted to play Live again but how hard is it to level and get poo poo together to compete at 50?

0% hard if you buy plat from china. Or sell a time card for 250p. Takes anywhere from 2 to 200 hours to get to CL 15 after you're 50. Doing the supplies for the cause quest in the frontiers. Gives about 3800 bps (some sort of bonus going on right now, which you then use to buy CL xp scrolls for 2k bps which give a full 10 bubs of cl xp), about 600 rps, and 450g. And these shards which you use to get a random piece (1 of 3) for some high end gear. Like ml 10 poo poo, doppel myths, etc.

Also there are now merchants outside of SF/DL/CS that sell all the things. Summoner's hall poo poo, DF poo poo, seasonal poo poo, etc.

Grand total it cost me about 280p to get a good template for a minstrel.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I think I've seen you running around. I've been running a minstrel and cleric. nousername has been on a sorc and armsman!!!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Oh no. Waffles died in the first bg!!!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ML10 weapons are like 5-10p now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
gently caress you Waffles, you murdered my scout in cold blood.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Awhile ago. In Molvik. Some bard named Wafflles or something of that nature.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It's okay, I ended up killing him and the animist he was with.

Went up to him and unstealthed and /waved. So rude.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It will relaunch. Even Blue and his ultra-anal German-ness gets to the point where he just says gently caress it and it's good enough. Though I suspect that's mostly because his staff just gets utterly fed up and threatens to quit.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Probably a Hib caster. Some guy named Herorius regularly runs zergs on hib.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'll be playing Hib on Uth release. Along with my elite pro gamer crew.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I look forward to spamming /bang and /curtsey at your dead bodies!

Ya right. Undefeated world champs.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Rasmussen posted:

I used to play this before any of the expansions came out back in the day on my 56k modem. The only thing I think I will miss from modern games is mouse look. Has that been put in, in the last however many years it has been?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it was in at release, but maybe it was implemented in SI.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Just play whatever realm you want to. Goons didn't stick around for Genesis and that was super fast leveling. They'll all burn out pre-50 on Uthgard.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

When playing on Genesis server my GPU went into overdrive, generating a LOT of heat in the process.

Could reaching 300+FPS cause that? Would capping my Nvidia card at 60FPS (I found that feature recently) help?

Yes. This is a problem with older games. You need to limit your FPS else your gpu will peg out hard.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Breakpoints existed at all points through the game. It was fucky coding with the animations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Reavers don't need to autotrain. You get a whopping 2 points in soulrending? Or a few in parry.

Unless you plan being the AMG superstar.

And you autotrain flex. Spec crush while you level. It's hardly gimped.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Deuce posted:

It's a breakpoint in the lifetap line, without the bonus points you'll be using a level 32 lifetap, which wont land very often at all.

It's incredibly gimped from 40-44 (or 48 if you go all out, but that's unnecessary), because you have to use an untrained weapon on a melee character. (your free respec comes at level 40,) In this patch era, the 40s are a pretty horrible slog, it's nothing like live where you can knock them out in an afternoon of questing.

The initial leveling wave makes things worse: everyone is in poo poo gear, groups are weaker than normal. As a second character, the Reaver can be funded by the level 50 alt so will be in good gear, and if you get your hands on a respec stone you can just use crush to 48 and actually contribute to a group.

What makes Reavers so valuable in pve? Just leviathan's DPS?

You don't have to use an untrained weapon. You just don't use flex.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
There will be respec stones by the time you hit 50.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Same on the no time enough to play like I'd enjoy.

It's heartbreaking, but, whatever.

Maybe I can get a german to plvl me some day.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Decided to just do it.

Dwarf zerker on mid.

Veilless in game.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Well, I generally only have about 2-3 hours a night to play. About 4 days a week. And I got to 48, almost 49 in a month and a half? It's a very hard game. Haven't logged on much in the past 2 weeks though. Getting discouraged at how broke I am.

Also switched from mid. Hib now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

littlejoey posted:

Been playing this the last couple weeks and still having a blast. I find that although the leveling can be slow compared to the live servers, it's been really easy to get groups (even as an inf.). Sure Albion has a necro power leveling epidemic, but It hasn't stopped my ability to level and find groups.

poo poo is the same on hib. Not just power leveling. But "focus pull" groups. If you're not a druid/ment/enchanter, it's a bit harder to get groups.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yes. Just with necromancers and cabalists.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
But I also never had a problem with grouping on my hero. Make your own groups, ezpz.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Can I get a roll call going of who is actually playing Uthgard actively? And what realm?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Can I have a bunch of plat?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Anyone still playing live? Population isn't great, but it's doable. Currently on alb with nousername (think thats his sa name).

Wanting to try Hib this time around.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I got a hero to 49 on uthgard, and got kind of bummed at how hard it is to make plat, so I said gently caress it. Leveling actually wasn't too bad. The old way still worked just fine. Make your own groups. Get xp. And last I played 42-50 was super easy, bog zerg groups. It's great xp.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Had a blast in Cathal Valley today. Made 50-60k rps. Really surprising considering how dead CV usually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, we're still playing. Currently sitting at 49 in CV on a bard, nousername is playing a BM.

I'm Speciosa in game, he's Demonlung.

• Locked thread