Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tawal posted:

I'd been trying to avoid it and focus on SWTOR, but seeing this thread lets me know it is time. Reactivating my main and bot accounts... Not sure if I want to roll an Enchanter to farm first or dive right into Eld, though. Everybody still having fun with the game?

Yeah this new thread got me too. So long as there servers going, Ill keep getting the RVR bug and come back for a round.

Since Im just going to be loving around solo, and its Hib (only realm I never got a 50 in), I think Ill just roll a NS. Whats a good way to level one, assuming I just grind these fancy new repeatable BG quests? Pierce/CD with some points thrown in Envenom for good measure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dont know how you guys are hitting 50 in 15 hours played. At 12 hours played Im only 27, though Id say at least 3 hours of that was spent in Thid running out of the PK to die instantly to the 400 Albs roaming around. Some things havnt changed, even after 10 years. Being new to Hib and a NS on top of that is probably the other slow part since I dont know how to level non-Mid classes. Is going full on Pierce/CD then respecing at 50 a good idea?

From what Ive seen on my Necro and SM, those fancy realm buffs from the NPC apply to pets so long as theyre out when you hand in the token. Also, Shar make amazing Champions. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I got hit with a wave of nostalgia today so I reopened by account and jesus christ did I seriously just get to level 36 in 5 hours /played?

Back in my day, that would take a couple weeks of AoE mob grinding with 7 other people. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways. :corsair:

Im so glad they realized that people kept coming back/sticking around for the RvR and not the dated and joyless PvE. If it stays this way I can see myself coming back more often again and sticking around longer each time as there still isnt anything quite like the RvR here in the MMO market today (or the foreseeable future).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You know, as much as I would have raised my fist in anger like an old man on a porch for being zerged down by Albs yet again, I have to applaud them for getting that many stealthers to actually work together long enough to kill people. Im lucky if I can find 2 or 3 other stealthers that will work together let alone 20 to 30.

Im also sad working this weekend caused me to miss both dragon stuff and RvR. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

angry muppet posted:

Molvik alts are a nice thing to have. A lot easier to get groups there.

Thid, Molvik and Cathal Valley seem to always have a decent amount of people in them no matter what time youre on. Plus you dont always need to sit and wait for a full group, easy to just run around as a partial group and still have a good time.

How hard are those frontier quests to kill 5 caravans or whatever? I see they reward scales which is something I need plenty of, so if theyre soloable I know what I can do when nothing else is going on.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

1 on 1 they rival Friars, shield spec Paladins, and Aug Healers though when it comes to survival through attrition. If you dont mind cruising around with Vamps at 50 hunting stealther hideouts its a fun option.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The way we farmed the Mid dragon (almost the same mechanics as the Hib dragon) was with 2 groups. First one with ~6 tanks and the second was a group of Hunters for the adds. I was the bubble-bot Supp RM in the tank group, and we had an Aug healer as well for celerity plus bots for healing outside both groups. I was told archers are best because of their higher sustained damage and multiple damage types. This was back probably 3 years ago though so things may have changed!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Combo posted:

My brother is trying to get me to play this again already, ugh

Admit it, you never really left anyway.

Ive been so drat busy with work the last 2 weeks that I seem to have missed a mass Hib exodus or something. Not just in the Cult but as a realm in general. Did something happen or are people just doing the normal cycle of boredom of 1 realm and playing in one of the others?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I will not be the Skald that this guild needs. I will be the Skald that this guild deserves. Take that as you will.

Also, should I sell my hib poo poo and xfer the plat over for when I hit 50 to make a template? Or will you guys be flip-flopping.

Unless youre a Kobold, youre playing Skald wrong. :colbert:

I think most people will be hopping between realms so its probably not worth selling your stuff. You will need glass anyway for MLs/arts which should give you enough plat to get most of a template up and going.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Elder Scrolls MMO is actually being headed by Matt Firor, who was a huge part of early DAoC's success so its something to keep an eye on. How much room they give him to try and set up a proper RvR system, ala DAoC, is really what will make or break it.

Ill just keep chugging along in here until then though since no other MMO companies seem to understand that 10v10 BGs and queues are annoying. Why didnt anyone tell me Warden was so much fun in Molvik? And I think I found an Alb class other than Friar that I might be able to stick with, Heretic. I still feel so dirty playing it though. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Evernoob posted:

I never liked the New Frontiers. I just like the large landscapes to roam and hunt. I even accept it when I get greyganked in the frontiers because it's a Risk VS Reward thing (Nullsec!).

Actually I don't even care about the keeps at all, but I understand the need of something to fight about. The towers just made everything even worse. (What is the actual use of those in NF? to give smaller guilds something to claim?)

The patch up on Pendragon is removing some of the towers and their functions. A lot of people seem to like the idea since it opens up more space to roam without getting whacked by some stupid archer or guard if you get too close to a tower. I think theyre moving keeps around too (and making one a ruin I think?) to add to the tower changes. Could be neat if they implement it right.

Ive been back playing live the last few days, my rose tinted glasses werent rosey enough to play on Genesis with all the missing QOL stuff that I never realized TOA+ had added.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I found the problem was twofold for me. When I did feel like grouping it was hell trying to find a group. Then sometimes I just dont feel like grouping and that is actively punished. Didnt help the few groups I got into were mostly the leftovers that the min/max groups werent taking so downtime was atrocious even in the group, and worse if a pull went wrong.

Oh, and I just use the low level glass quests to skip Molvik (or to get to 39). Its so much faster, even if youre solo. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The gear gap isnt nearly as terrible as it used to be. I say this as someone that has never been able to bring myself to fully temp a single char (until yesterday :v:). The hardest part is the crafted gear, otherwise its just spending some time farming glass/dragon scales.

Im having way more fun in Molvik than I am at 50 anyway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

Yeah, I've been having a blast on Live. Levelling purely through BGs is pretty awesome. It kinda sucks that there's a ton of barren PvE content, but whatever, the game's 12 years old.

Any goons on Hib have a guild we can get into?

I think my NS is still in the goon guild and can invite. Also, I was the Vamp you were playing with today until my power went out. Sorry bout that!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ded posted:

For Celtic Dual, do you need to train another weapon type (ie blades if you use blades) for better damage? Or can use all those extra points for shield for slams ect.

You need both, and what you take depends on the class youre playing. From what Ive learned you want a minimum of 25 CD for the side style though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

I've never understood this attitude. It's supposed to be a war. Do you not kill grays XPing in the frontier because it isn't "fair?" What about soloers and small mans? Same thing, really.

Red is dead, brah.

A good portion of those 8v8 groups have zero problems running over a soloer or greys XPing, which is why you shouldnt give a drat about "fair". Youre out there for fun, which means killing dudes. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Then go ape poo poo, just expect everyone to shun you/troll you.

Likewise, expect people to add into fights so long as a group is known to keep going after unfair and easy RPs on greys and solo players.

Blame the mechanics that they still award RPs. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Combo posted:

I honestly think I can count on one hand how many times I was ever left alone as a solo by "elite" 8v8 groups back in the day.

Plenty of times standing off in the distance watching an 8v8 fight where the winner immediately would turn around and roll me afterwards.

Running in a group of 3 or 4? Eh who cares, chase them! Solo fight with an alb? Hib group comes in and kills both of us. gently caress "8v8" groups.

Maybe it will be different on Genesis but I doubt it.

Genesis is a server geared specifically for those people, so dont get your hopes up. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

madpanda posted:

So are there any servers that aren't poo poo?

Sadly no. Its just a different brand of bullshit, so find one that youre willing to put up with.

Personally I just hop back on live whenever I get the itch for some MMO PvP. I prefer leveling a new character as quickly as possible so its the easiest choice for me. I dont care much about 15 year old PvE since I did it when it was current content a hundred times over (since thats how many times you need to do it for a level :v:), and thats what most free shards seem to want to emulate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I burnt out on PvP servers long ago. It was fun so a time, rolling around a RR12 armsman just wrecking face with a 6 speed polearm and MLs.

I find it said, to this day, that no mmo has come out that I don't laugh at and compare to daoc. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think so.

Modern MMO PvP is all about trying to make the next big esport, which usually involves putting huge restrictions on everything. DAoC was just wide open make your own fun PvP.

And I miss it so. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Seriously how is this game still alive, especially considering its still has a monthly sub? It will still be the game I compare every MMO to though just because of how fun and awesome it was (until ToA).

I played Mid/MLF (RM/Skald) and had a Friar on Merlin I used to gently caress around on when the Hib zerg got to be too much on MLF. God I loved Friar back then. With a hooded cloak and a crooked staff you could disguise as a caster so drat well, then be the living bane of every stealther on the server when they tried to kill you solo. Good times, good memories. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I still dont understand the appeal of going back to the old leveling system. It was always the worst part of DAoC. I guess to each their own but it was never fun to spend 2 hours looking for groups because you didnt happen to be in one of the large guilds/alliances (and even then...).

I really wish Mythic hadnt died. Id kill for a modern DAoC. :(

• Locked thread