Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Me and my friends did not invent the Castershade, but drat we as sure perfected it. How much of a nerf did the Nightshades end up getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Back in the day when me and my friends were perfecting the Castershade, we would have many fun adventures that goons would appreciate. Due to the recent nerf however, I am not certain how viable this is anymore. DEX is king for Castershade, our templates would be kicking around 445 dex for maximum damage.

If we focused fired on one target, even if it was a tank, the person would drop under 5 seconds.

Having fun with pushing (or how to kill bots for fun and profit)!

4-5 Nightshades is minimum for this, but a full group is insane.
Everyone has to take Stormlord CL10 for ideal killing. The idea is to find likely places where people park their bots, usually in the CK (central keep) of keep to be close to the action if they died and got a rez (Bledmer Faste or Caer Benowyck). You sneak inside, kill all of the guards around the keep tower to the left or right of the CK, then move yourself down next to the wall of the CK (ground floor).

All at once, everyone drops their Energy Tempest (CL9 ability) using ground targetting, then all but one gets out of sight. The remaining person would use Focusing Winds (CL6) to push the storms inside the CK. It will take some time to get this down to perfection, but then you can groundtarget inside the CK and move them toward the middle of the room where most people park their bots. Once you start seeing damage spam, you know you are in the right place. Please note: If you are caught unstealthed during this time, you cannot restealth until you stop doing damage, or the storm runs its course or you Vanish.

Side benefit of this is that you just weakened one or more people out fighting in the field. Picking off unbuffed people as they head back to the keep is a double bonus.

These keeps might be really hot with activity, so moving the operation to a lesser used keep like Caer Boldiam or Glenlock Faste might be a better start for newer shades. An alternative to this is taking a tower by annoying anyone inside by placing storms right at the door to the second level. Most of the time, they would be unable to click on the door to get back in, and you just singled out a person for nuking.

Where here to help save the keep....oh god oh god why am I on fire!?!

My castershade crew used to purposely light keeps on fire to draw people to a keep for the purpose of singling out soloers to pop them when they are unaware. Caer Sursbrook was one of the main places where we would do this, due to it being the usual launching point for invading Alb. We would bring our crew in, kill the guards on the one side of the wall, drop down and kill everything in the courtyard. One of us had levelled up seigecraft that we would drop a ram on their inner CK door and knock it down to 75% health. At that point, the tower would flame on the realm map and alert Albs that someone was taking the keep.

Having a lookout is good to have on the outside to see what/who is coming. People would come inside into the courtyard to see what was going on, then pick and choose your targets and go to town.

If I get to the boat, I will be safe.../release

When things are hot and heavy in realm war, zergs are all over the place, there are the docks at Caer Renaris (our favorite place). People have this idea if they make it to the docks, they are safe, not so with our little band of cutthroats. We would allow them to purchase a ticket to summon a boat at the dock, then as they are casually going forward, unload our payload into their face. Fun times while you are nuking them from underwater when they have no clue what the hell happened. Added fun is when you place an Energy Tempest right over top of the Dockmaster...hard to turn in a ticket when you are taking damage.

DAoC was one of the best RvR experiences I had with MMOs. Popping out to the nearest bridge was fun and all, but just thinking of ways to add some spice to the game made it so much more fun.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 8, 2012

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

ButtaKnife posted:

They did nerf the Nightshade DDs by about 15% damage in the last patch, but they're still decent.

Dug this up from an old VNBoard post, I am Elvez (castershade, around RR4 or 5 at the time). That was not a crit, but take note of the side where it shows the resists of the target I was nuking.

http://i.imgur.com/E5WYB.png

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
How many are running around in Cult of Nyarlathotep these days?

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

fishhooked posted:

Roll a hiberton and come prance around with us. You won't be sorry

In Hib is is definitely a frolic. (if you are a keen, its more like a canter).

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Kzar still leading the insanely huge Alb zergs? We used to target him first with our castershade group, ganking him then vanishing before the rest of the zerg knew what happened.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
I miss the days of my shadowzerker, darn you Mythic with your LA nerf. =/

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
The way we used to level up alts was to get a couple rangers, buff bot, then whatever we were PLing, then head over to Typhon's Reach and just go around a huge circle starting near the temple, and working around the south-western most part of the zone. Would take us a couple of hours to get them to mid-40s, then run the Wisps quest to get to 49, then Commander quests to squeeze out to 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Are castershades still a thing? Or have they been nerfed to oblivion?

• Locked thread