Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Christoff posted:

It's called "Starting Strength" and is probably one of the most popular (well known but not like crossfit) introductory lifting programs. It provides a great foundation for whatever your goals are and teaches you the fundamentals and basics of achieving results and proper technique.

There's a popular "modified" version that's floating around. Pretty sure there's a thread about it in the fitness forum.

The modified one that was popular on W&W/YLLS a while back is the "Stripped 5x5" workout. It shuffles the workouts around (A: deadlift/row/shoudler press, B: squat/bench press/pull up) and uses rows instead of power cleans.

[edit] Or maybe it was this one.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Alright, so I enlisted in the Army and will be shipping out to BCT in five weeks. I've been doing a running/body weight routine for a while, but I just received a free pass to a nearby gym for the remainder of my time here. I know five weeks isn't much time, but I'm tempted to hit the gym and do something like Starting Strength or the Stripped 5x5 just for a few weeks because I miss moving heavy things. Should I stick with body weight stuff since that's what I'm going to be doing in BCT or should I start moving some barbells?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ashmole posted:

Im running way too much. I'm running 13:30 2 miles hungover.

I wish I had your problems. :)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is this the 5/3/1 plan everyone is in love with?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Kettlebell swings beat the poo poo out of running. I haven't ran in months.

I absolutely cannot do swings without feeling like I'm getting nothing out of it. I know that means I have to be doing them wrong, but so far everyone who has tried to show me has been poo poo at explaining or demonstrating it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Anytime I use the elliptical, it feels like I am perpetually falling on my face and just barely recovering.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I used to love running. Did a marathon just for fun. The army sucked the fun out of it though. Maybe in a few years I'll enjoy it again...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Starting Strength with three days a week of running is killing my legs. They just feel tired all the time, probably because I'm beating the poo poo out of them regularly.

I looked into 5/3/1 and it seems like it might pair a little better with running since it isn't all squats all the time, but even Wendler said it wasn't made to be paired with running.

At this point I'm tempted to buy Tactical Barbell training to read it, even if the name sounds dumb. I just want to get stronger, faster, and get some relaxing LSD runs at the same time. Apparently that's too much to ask.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Click Beelay posted:

Stop squatting three times a week if it's loving you up IMO. Have a look at Candito's if you can spare four days a week, or a customized Greyskull otherwise. Done both while running daily-ish with no issues, running a modified Candito's for the past ~six months and it's been great.

I'll look at both of those, thanks.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lmao bro you need to be conditioned as gently caress to do starting strength and run. How long have you been doing it for? I know late in the program when you're doing heavy rear end squats it's recommended to skip squats one day a week or something like that.

Either way they're both good programs. Starting strength just works and I've had nothing but success with it. Are you doing the modified one with pull ups/dips and poo poo?

Also foam roll the poo poo out of your legs
Been doing SS for maybe two months at this point. Added runs about a month ago. And yes, the SS I'm doing has the dips/pull ups and I added in 3x8 of weighted incline sit ups.

Definitely don't think I count as being conditioned as gently caress anymore. Years ago, I ran upwards of 15 - 20 miles on my long days, but I'm not getting anywhere close to that anymore. Longest LSD I've done recently was 5.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can't tell if you guys are serious or not. They're not part of the bog standard SS, but Rippetoe does mention Roman chair situps (and preferably weighted Roman chair situps, but my gym doesn't have a Roman chair) as a way to develop trunk musculature for press support, which is the lift I have the most issues with. Wendler also talks about weighted incline situps (when holding the plate behind your head) as an assistance exercise. I figure those two guys know a decent amount of poo poo about lifting. Also, i'm pretty much doing it just to bump my situp score a little higher on the APFT.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I haven't really found a solution. Work got busy and all I've been able to do is stick with SS. Haven't tried to incorporate running back in yet.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Honestly he does chin ups better than a chunk of people in my company.

Also, holy loving hell. Having a home gym is sweet. I'm visiting family and since I'm on a lovely night shift with nothing to di, I went out to this little a/c equipped shed in the middle of the night and had a great time. I hate having to share or wait in the gym, so having it all to myself was a reminder that i need to make sure my next place has a spot for a squat rack and bench at the very least. I'm envious of you guys with garage gyms.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

NTT posted:

I'm gonna have to stop doing lifts so I can do pt test exercises for the next month :/

I, too, have a test in about a month. Not gonna stop lifting, though. I will start running a little more, though. :(

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm also using a local Y for my lifting. They've got a crossfit room with rubber flooring and a bunch of bumper plates (no 100s, but about 18 45s) and squat racks. It's basically empty except for their dumb classes they do once a day.

Still, a home gym would be so nice... my wife and I have decided it's a priority in our next place, so hopefully in a few months I can start getting stuff for it. Anyone have suggestions on specific racks/bars/plates/benches? I haven't started pricing poo poo out or doing review research yet.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looks like I have an APFT next week. Guess I'll see if regularly going to the gym and lifting is enough to get good sit up and push up scores since I haven't done any of those in the last few months.

I hope the answer is yes just so I can hate PRT a little more for being pointless.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I started running with VFFs. Did couch to 5k, then a marathon, then all my runs after that. The only reason I don't still run in them is because I do lots of rocky/root laden runs and having a real sole keeps my feet from getting stone bruises and because the army won't let me use them at PT. I still have a pair (my 3rd, I wore holes in the other 2) in the closet that I may take out again in the future.

Haven't lifted in them yet, though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Merrell is pretty great. I had a pair for a while but have switched over to Inov-8 for both trail runs and track/gym time. I'll dig up links when I'm not phone poop posting later.

Inov-8 F-lite 195: It's marketed as a CROSSFIT shoe, but whatever. It's light as gently caress (195 grams), has really good grip, and is comfy as hell. I use it for lifting, running on dreadmills or on concrete/asphalt/track surfaces.
Inov-8 Trailroc 235: Inov-8 doesn't make these anymore and they've been replaced by the Terraclaw. I've tried them both on and they're super similar; I just went with the Trailrocs because they look less ugly. Really grippy and has kept me from wiping out in the swamp I run in pretty often. Haven't been able to try these out on rough trails, just packed dirt/mud/gravel so far. Still, they're comfy.

shoe sperg over

Aranan fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I didn't get a bunch of MEGACUMLORD 5000 ads everywhere either which is nice, thanks!

Your loss.

FWIW, I've been using Greyskull Linear Program and it's been good to me so far. I'm pretty sure you can Google for the basics of the plan or just use Stronglifts.

This is someone's variant of GSLP that is kind of popular On The Internet.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I use Fitnotes for Android. It's really basic and easy to use between sets and can also log cardio stuff. It can graph your progress over time and note your PRs, so that's kind of neat. It doesn't do any nutrition logging, though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I kind of miss Huachuca. Always thought it'd be a great place to cycle.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm a lovely weak baby.

Had surgery that kept me from doing anything active for two months, then went on terminal leave and enjoyed sleeping in and being lazy, then moved across the country for a new job. Finally made some time to hunt down a local gym and get back at it after almost 7 months and it loving sucks to struggle with weights I used to warm up with. I wasn't even very strong before, either.

Whatever. Gotta start (back) somewhere I guess.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Gnarly. Hope it's healing well for you. Mine was jaw/skull cutting and realignment, so luckily it wasn't due to an injury and doesn't directly affect movements. I just had to take it easy to make sure the screws/plates didn't pop and I didn't rupture my sinuses and bleed out, which I was told could happen if I pushed myself. Pretty good way for the docs to ensure I rest.

This is what happened to the upper jaw. Basically had my face skinned. A+, highly recommend (not really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Titan is pretty much off-brand Rogue from what I can tell. I haven't used any of their stuff personally, but they're a popular and cheaper alternative to Rogue.

http://www.garagegymreviews.com/titan-fitness-t-3-vs-rogue-fitness-r-3-power-rack-showdown/

There's a comparison between the Rogue R-3 and Titan T-3 racks.

That site also has a huge review of barbells so maybe that'll come in handy for you, too.

I can't wait until I have a spot for a home gym...

Aranan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 8, 2017