Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've put on a little weight since the start of fall, but gently caress it it's bulking season and I'm hitting PR's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Got a charlie horse in the middle of a deadlift. Holy gently caress it's been so long since I had a Charlie horse. gently caress Charlie horses.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

elite_garbage_man posted:

Starting out looking like a dog about to take a poo poo is what may be slowing you down with the beginning of the lift. In the beginning e you're trying to lift the majority of the weight with your back and not using your legs and hips until later. You start with your legs and hips in a high position which is why you start the lift with a huge arch. Try getting your rear end lower and your back straighter during your setup. You may have to back off the bar another inch or two depending on your mobility. Starting out with your head up may also help you start out with your back a little straighter instead of starring straight down and hunching.

Many forms of cleans are great for building speed and explosiveness off the floor for a dead lift by teaching you to use your legs/hips more and not rely so much on your back, other than to keep it straight.

I'm actually trying to get you hurt so I can stay the #1 deadlifter in this thread

Agreed with all of this. That back is way too rounded and there's no utilization of the legs. It physically hurt me watching that lift.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

pkells posted:

I just bought a townhouse with a garage big enough for my car and something else, so I'm thinking about doing a home gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not-crazy-expensive power rack and bench that I can get? I'm sick of waking up rear end-early to drive 15 minutes to get to the gym by 4am, and then driving 15 mins back so I can get to work by 6:30. I'm willing to spend the extra $$ to not have to wake up at 3:30 to work out.

Do you have a college anywhere near you? They're usually a good source of exercise gear at the end of the academic year.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Not only that, but the athletic departments typically sell off their "old" gear after a few years so they can have shiny stuff for recruits. A friend of mine got a gorgeous Olympic platform and rack from university of Maryland for a couple hundred dollars because they were upgrading.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I think he meant cheap out, chimp out doesn't make sense in that context. :eng101:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I like swimming, personally. But you obviously need access to a pool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Swimming can be hell on your shoulders though, so don't rush into it and make sure you stretch.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Frosted Flake posted:

My gym has a pool, I'll try it out - thanks!

If you decide to really get into it, invest in some good goggles and shampoo designed for swimmers. Trust me, I grew up with a constant odor of chlorine on me.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I got this sick new cardio/strength training hybrid program. It's called shoveling snow. Pretty sick little workout.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Partially torn bicep. gently caress off shoveling.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah fortunately the ortho says its partial, and the tendons are in tact, so surgery is "100% unnecessary" provided I don't do stupid poo poo and try to force my way into the gym to do arm curls (or shovel more). Just gonna do PT for a few weeks and he thinks it'll recover.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I had already been dealing with tennis elbow, so I think the over-exertion from shoveling just did it in. Just glad I don't need surgery (yet).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It is :saddowns:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What can I say, I know what I like

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

after two hours of bjj yesterday i'm sore as gently caress today. possibly because i haven't done poo poo for exercise in 5 years.

How does your jaw feel :boom:

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 30, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Pretty lonely the last few days, actually. :saddowns:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Have you tried: not being a bitch?? Heard it works.

Says the guy with the bum rear end arm.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

MurderBot posted:

Swimming is amazing for cardiovascular endurance, like probably just as good as running, the only thing it lacks is increasing muscular endurance in the legs. If you added like 1 or 2 days of moderate running, even just 2-3 miles you'd probably be able to shave 30+ seconds off your time, if you're into that kind of thing.

You're not swimming right if you're not getting a leg workout hth.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I mean, I'm not going to go into a pissing match about who's more qualified on swimming or whatever, but a good swim workout will definitely activate your upper leg muscles. But yes your power does come from your core predominantly.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

How the gently caress do you drop a bar on your head doing a tricep extension

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I always laugh when people don't rack the other side of their barbell and it goes tumbling over as soon as they lift it up.

Also, people that grab two different dumbbells and don't notice.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've gotten over my hesitation to go beyond my 90 by putting small weights under my heels. It's helped with my flexibility while not compromising on my form. I also have stupidly long legs in relation to the rest of my body.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I used Vibrams for years and then I started running into problems with plantar fasciitis and it band strain. All went away when I switched back to a proper running shoe.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

So I can't even do a bicep curl with a one pound weight without noticeable discomfort. :fuckoff:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lingering over someone while they're in the squat rack asking "how many more" after every set is an established justification for murder right?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Physical therapy is great, just make sure you actually do the exercises they give you to do at home/at the gym when you're not at therapy.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lmao sick ETID poster, I remember when I was 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You're probably compressing a nerve, but I'd have it checked with a doctor anyway.