Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Woo a 24 hour gym finally opened up in my town, so now I won't have the excuse of not wanting to drive 20 min each way at 3 am to skip the gym.

They are always so terrible, but so convenient!

My gym has 2 power cages and a smith machine, and exactly 0 Olympic benches, so if you want to bench press that means you are loving over somebody waiting for a cage. Of course that dude is probably just gonna curl or do dumbbell work in it anyways so whatever.

I hate my gym with a passion, but it was the only place in town to work out in the middle of the night, but now a new one opened, so I might have to go check it out and then break up with mine.

I really loving hate my gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TheQuietWilds posted:

Yeah, just steal one from the dumbell area. If they don't even have a flatbench there, I don't know what the gently caress.

edit: reading comprehension, that's what you're doing. I prefer to bench in a cage anyways for the safeties, but it is still totally crazy to not have a bench.

Yeah, now that I'm getting more serious about my lifting I definitely prefer the cage, but I have never been in a gym that didn't have at least one before, also it would make it a lot easier to work out during busy time, which is anytime after 5:00 pm to 11:00 it seems.

That's the problem with living in the suburbs, I've got two types of guns to choose from, $99 a month crossfit gyms or 24 hr any planet fitness for moms to do yoga.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Honestly, for 40 bucks a month and 24 hour times I'm good. I'll check it out and as long as the free weight section is good then I'm in.

Yeah, when I signed up for my gym it was the only 25 hr place I could find, now there is a newish one that looks ok, and is a few bucks cheaper a month, so if I can't find anything else I will probably go over there.
I am going to look for an offline one though, town I live in is small, but there are tons of current and former athletes, so there should be a place they all go to work out right?

As much as I hate my gym, its shittiness hasn't made me break my routine.

I really wish I would have made an effort to stay in shape or not be fat when I got out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The only gym dudes I actively dislike are the "give unsolicited advice" dudes. They always seem to have the laziest form AND the shittiest advice.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I looked at my fitocracy account this week and it reminded me that I haven't been in the gym in 3 months :stare:

I knew it had been at least two, but holy gently caress I have no idea how I missed it for three months. Anyhow I started back in again, with a goal to actually goal instead of just paying to drive by. The day after sucked, but I am enjoying the paint peeling effects of protein farts again, my coworkers not so much.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

Dont forget to eat four cups of the right type of powder and take 2 pre workouts since otherwise your workout means nothing

Also, make sure you take that poo poo to the gym with you, preferably in one of those bigass bags you would transport a corpse in, right next to last weeks workout gear. The trick to MAXIMUM GAINS is to make your presence known to every single breathing organism in the gym. And since it's PF and you can't make any noise, you might as well make sure people smell you instead of hear you.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I have reached my target weight of 186.
I have a new target weight of 180.
Which will become 175 once i get to 180.

I am however still """"fat""""

I had that problem, I was skinny fat at 175, I dropped to 165 once and I was skeletal fat.

Now I'm like 200 and fat fat, but I figure with all the lifting I've been doing when I get back towards 180 I should be "normal" looking :pray:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yo, can any of you dudes recommend a decent intermediate 3 day lifting program? I've been doing a 4 day u/l split thing that I like a lot, but I need to switch back to a three day program because of time constraints. Any thoughts?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

NTT posted:

You're better off grabbing a program out of YLLS honestly.

If you can already hit intermediate benchmarks you should go straight to TM, if not just do starting strength. It's Good

5x5 Stronglifts is also a pretty good 3 day a week program.

You can get by with squatting every day, then alternating OHP/BenchP, Bi/Tri, and Shoulders/Back accessory work. That covers most of your bases and gives you consistent squats, which is a bomb rear end exercise. Cardio on your off days.

Yeah I forget about stronglifts, I will probably just do that. I did ICF starting out and that was rough when I was trying to lose weight, but I know how to tune it down now for working out at a calorie deficit.

I'm still pretty intermediate, the only lifts I have to reset on so far are my OHP and bench, but that's mostly because my right shoulder is kind of a mess, so I tend to baby it a little.

I have more or less "lifted weights" for the last 18 years, but I only figured out what the gently caress I needed to be doing a couple years ago, and frankly, I let myself get into such bad shape after getting out of the Navy that it took me almost a full year to get flexible enough to not kill myself on some of these lifts.
I dunno if there are any young really young dudes reading this thread, but by god, don't gently caress around with getting fat and gross, its a motherfucker to reverse.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm not going to go back and read the thread because apparently I posted in it a lot when I was in my "realllly drunk rear end in a top hat" phase of 2012, but what is a good, preferably free, website that has like simple beginners gym workout plans just for general getting back into shape. I can't do anything that requires a spotter or anything.

I'd like to to explain the exercises and how to do them properly with like weekly plans or whatever. I'm absolutely terrible at planning workouts or whatever and really have no idea about working out other than dumb rear end army poo poo which is to say not at all.

Nothing gimmicky or whatever just like "curl with 20lb dumbell 50 times" then "do some leg press thing" and then job 2 miles sort of level of simplicity. Like a personal trainer for fat old women kind of but online.

StrongLifts 5x5 if you are looking into weightlifting. Download the free app, and it tells you what to do and when to do it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Has anybody here done the Starting Strength program? I'm not getting tons of returns off the Cavefish routine anymore and I think it's time to move on.

Do 5/3/1, no reason to move from a starter program to a starter program. Most of the info you need to start is in the first post of the 5/3/1 thread and if you have specific questions most likely you can google the answer, Wendler has a ton of articles on T-nation and on his blog talking about different variations of his program. Also Alfalfa has some new programming based off of 5/3/1 that looks interesting, should be on the last page or two of his log cabin thread.

Edit: Here is the link to Alfalfa's programming

Edit 2: I want to move so bad so I can have dedicated gym space. Leaving the house at 5AM when it's cold sucks dick.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 8, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

5/3/1 is a bit intimidating because 1. I'm not lifting weights that heavy yet and 2. It's confusing to me. I'm going to read the books for both programs first to get a better idea.

I don't lift what I consider to be heavy yet, but it has helped me get unstuck on a couple lifts.
Read the book it's quick and the first one is pretty cheap if that's a concern.
I will say that psychologically, it feels a lot better to hit PR's almost every week instead of failing sets and resetting.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

5/3/1 is decent, but purposefully trying to hit the wall at warp speed for your top set every week gets super loving old for me. I can recover enough to squat and bench 2-3x a week while deadlifting once with a lighter variation (it's always Romanians), but I started to hate 5/3/1 after ~6mo. So far the Juggernaut program's progression is pretty cool, takes you from 10s to 3s over 16 weeks with 3 week blocks for each rep range and a deload week after. I like Chad Wesley Smith's approach to lifting, moving more towards hard science-based practically implemented training in the same theme as Chris Duffin at Kabuki Strength.

Are you doing an RP template or???
Link that poo poo bro!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

yeah yeah sticking to the program

Working my way up from the bottom. 150 squat/dead, 120 bench today for working sets.

Don’t throw out your logs or delete them or whatever. I found an old log from like 3 years ago and was looking through it, and even though I’m nowhere near where I want to be, I’ve come along way since then.

Its mind blowing when you realize your warm up set weights used to be training maxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Asked in YLLS but figured it was worth asking in here since at least one of you nerds does JTS programming

Anybody have thoughts on Juggernaut Training Systems: A Thoughtful Pursuit of Strength?
Noticed it was on sale today wondering if its a good place to start or if I should go with JTS 2.0 if I've never read any of Chad's stuff before.

Edit: I should add that I don't necessarily give a poo poo about competitive lifting, but I've primarily focused my training on strength and aesthetics has been a distant second.