Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

You got a place to deadlift?

Yeah I just move the squat stands. Don't have a platform yet

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

ummm... that's a girl's bike, dude

You know I have like 200 kids right?

elite_garbage_man posted:

I have a similar curling station

C'mon man! Serious talk, I'm almost 40 and I had to take two months of rest so I could get rid of a nagging back injury. I'm actually trying 5/3/1 and I used a pretty conservative 1RM to start off with.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Horse stall mats dude. Cheap way to do that. That bar of yours might tear the gently caress out of your shins on account of the knurling being so tight towards the center. 5/3/1 is pretty cool. I may go back to it now that I've had 3 years of solid lifting done. I started it way too early.

If I had some sweet sweet officer pay, I'd get one of these. http://www.roguefitness.com/bar-jack

The powerlifting gym I go to has one similar to that one. It's loving amazing. I'm certain you could make one yourself.

Yah horse mats are the plan. And yes deads are going to be painful with that bar. I'm just excited to be lifting at home instead of the base gym so I'll just wear long socks and suck it up.

I'm liking 5/3/1 so far because I find recovery to be easier using it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dude, I wasn't talking poo poo about the weight, I was implying that I curl in a squat rack.

Pretty funny either way. I'm just so used to guys zinging each other in GiP that I just assumed you were screwing with me. I got a good laugh out of it.

quote:

And 5/3/1 owns. You're going to get strong.

Yeah I'm excited about it. I've never done any kind of periodization with my lifting, pretty much just linear progression and when things started stalling I'd scale my lifting back for a while and work on other fitness stuff. It'll be cool to see how far I can push it especially at my advanced age. :corsair:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Squats after two months of nothing but bodyweight exercises = DOMS like a mofo today.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

eat stretch sleep

Sleep is actually probably the toughest one for me. I could definitely improve in that area.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Get your deads in boys. My last set was a bit of a disaster.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Screw you guys I'm going home. :argh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Maybe we can all start posting pictures of the weights we are lifting and post it here like it's loving face book or something.

Just kidding the only reason I don't do it is because I get so goddamn sweaty in my garage I would ruin my phone by even touching it.

Man who farted in your sandwich?!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Farts is gonna e-yell at you for posting pics. :D

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

And that deadlift is pretty good. I could maybe do 1x3 at that weight. I definitely wouldn't be doing 6 sets of it, at least not right now. Taking two months off kinda sucked because of the backslide but I know from experience I should be able to ramp back up fairly quickly. My real achilles heel is bench. I have long orangutan arms without the orangutan strength. Makes pullups really lovely for me as well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Hopefully he videos his heart exploding. Anyhow, after several months of working on my shoulder flexibility I'm starting to see some definite improvement. Most noticeably when I'm squatting. It's pretty amazing how much better I feel just from being able to tighten up my upper back more.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Just open Pandora and start playing Necrophagist station.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I need some good assistance stuff to go with the 5/3/1. I don't have any dumbells at home. I do have a dip station but nowhere I can do pull-ups. So basically I've been doing a lot of pushups, weighted situps, dips, weighted step-ups (using my flat bench).

I also need to work in some HIIT for cardio so I have some semblance of cardio capacity when PRT time draws near. I have a spin bike and a treadmill so I've mostly been cranking up the resistance on the spin bike and doing tabata intervals on it. I just want to be very careful about not overdoing it as one of the primary reasons I went to 5/3/1 is for recovery purposes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many of you guys have experience with 5/3/1? I discovered it yesterday and it seems so easy to do that I can't believe it. It would go perfectly together with running and grappling, it doesn't seem time or energy consuming.

I've only been doing it a few weeks but part of the reason I went to it is because of the lesser volume and thus easier recovery. I won't say it's easy though, the key is that last set where you do as many reps as possible. If you honestly push that as hard as you can you will be spent. The assistance work is where you can really tailor the routine to what you are trying to achieve. Some days I do a lot, and some days I just skip it depending on how I'm feeling.

Ashmole posted:

Any of you guys ever try Smolov for bench? My bench is so bad that I need to do some focusing on just that lift.

Never done it myself but I've heard things about it. I've also heard that it is not something you want to use as a long term protocol but it is great for breaking through plateaus and such.

3x shoulder modibilty drills

What do you do for shoulder mobility? Its always an issue for me, in large part due to a rugby injury that was never really treated properly. I do some stuff I found on mobilitywod.com. I'm actually thinking about buying his book, do you have any experience with it?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Started 5/3/1 today because I apparently like to jump around with programs. I like the whole couple lifts with accessory work thing so I might stick with this one. Anyone have a good spreadsheet for tracking?

Farts if you have an Android the best app I've found is this one:

Wendlerized

Its not perfect but it's the one I like the best so far.

Holly, send me your spreadsheet, my SA name at geemale

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pretty good stuff Christoff, a few points I disagree on:

Shoes - Barefoot is better than crosstrainers but a good lifting shoe will do wonders for squats. Getting a pair helped my squat form immensely.

Breathing - You should be inhaling and holding it all the way through the rep. It helps keep your abdomen tight.

Bouncing - You actually want a little bounce out of the hole. You are taking advantage of the eccentric contraction of the hamstrings. You don't want be out of control with it but you should be coming out of the hole faster and with no pause. (this is specific to the low bar squat. There is no real bounce in a high bar squat)

Knees over toes thing - It _can_ be an indicator of bad form (weight shifting forward instead of staying over the mid-foot) but for most people, myself include, its just function of their anthropometry. In order to keep the bar centered over the mid-foot some people, i.e. those with relatively long legs are going have their knee travel further forward. In general, not a big deal.

Depth - ATG is is great if you can achieve it. Parallel is perfectly acceptable but the problem is what feels like parallel to inexperienced lifters is actually somewhat above parallel. The illustration you posted shows what parallel should look like (thats from Starting Strength isn't it).

Grip - Good tip about not flaring the elbows out. But you do want to push your elbows up as high as you can.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Ah yeah sorry it's an older post. Didn't know the glory of the valsalva manuever yet

Yeah I know you want the explosion out of the hole I think it was more in reference to people doing light weight/high reps

What exactly is a lifting shoe? I mean, what's different about them? I assume it helps with balance issues and people leaning too far back? Is that why people put 2.5 lb plates under their heels as the poor man option?

I was always under the impression parallel was bad for knees because it keeps the tension and you don't unload all that stress from the extra weight. I mean obviously in competitions and poo poo they're only going to parallel because that's all they have to do for it to count.

I believe that picture is from SS. It seems in Rippetoes videos he never really advocates a full ATG and it's like that photo where it's just below parallel. Just google around and come to your own conclusion on that I guess.

The lifting shoe has a couple things going for it. The sole is a little wider and non-compressible, they have a strap that helps keep your foot stable, and the heel is elevated. You are right about people who put weights under their heels. The heel lift helps by allowing more knee flexion which in turn more fully recruits your quads. Heel lift also helps people with poor ankle flexibility.

These are the ones I have: Adidas Powerlift. I seriously felt a lot better squatting when I went from Chucks to the lifting shoe.

The thing about going to parallel stems from the confusion of what parallel actually is. If you do it properly your legs go through the full range of motion. If you stop just short of parallel you get the situation you are describing.

I believe Starting Strength advocates looking at a point about approximately 6 feet in front of you on the ground and that is what I try to do. This helps keep your head in line with your back angle. You are right that looking up is terrible and I do try not to squat facing the mirror if I can avoid because it can be distracting.

I grip the same way you described for all the reasons you mentioned. I've tried a full grip and I don't like it because it seems to make me want to push up on the bar instead of holding it tight to my back.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 30, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Its not my first time doing weightlifting or (when I am at a gym with the proper equipment) SS. When I started weightlifting more seriously/SS I was alternating between deadlifting and bent-over rows. But now that I can consistently go to a gym with the proper equipment to do SS and I feel comfortable, I like to do deadlifts on every workout.

Also the "rank novice" workout as per the SS book is as follows:

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

So yeah the SS book wants you to deadlift on every workout.

Are you sure? I just looked through the book and didn't see that. Which edition are you looking at? Deadlifting every workout is not sustainable long term and it's not really a good idea. It is the most taxing of the lifts and doing it every workout is definitely going to compromise your ability to progress.

Deadlifting takes like years to get the hang of. It's such a complex lift for what's essentially "pick something up and stand".

Meh, deadlifting is pretty easy for the most part in my opinion. I think squats are much harder to learn to do correctly.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

They're both equally difficult. Squatting is far more frustrating to me, though. Deadlifting is something I really enjoy doing, which is odd because I probably have a frame better suited for squatting. My 1 rep max shot to the mid-400's on deadlifting within about a year and a half. I've never been able to squat more than 330-ish though.

Soeaking of, I took 2 months off from squatting. I picked it up again today. Gonna keep the weights low for a while as I just build up a base again.

What in particular do you think is complex about the deadlift?

As far your squatting goes, you should be able to ramp up pretty quickly once you get comfortable with them again. Sort of funny though, I'm the exact opposite of you. My frame is probably better suited to deadlifting but I actually enjoy squats more. I still do enjoy deadlifting, mostly because when you do a heavy set you really feel like you did something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Muscle recruitment, basically. Deadlifting requires essentially every backside muscle group to fire in a sequence. Even a small miscue like setting up improperly can lead to missing a rep. I'm talking about this in reference to pulling near max weights. Any guy or girl can pull a lower weight with some slop. Approaching a near max rep pretty much demands near perfection from set up to lock out.

Really though that's what I love about powerlifting. On the surface, it looks like such a meathead sport, but the guys who are good at it can break down a few seconds of movement to some really minute detail. Like I can discuss the simple act of setting up the bar for a while because, in my opinion, that's where the lift is made. Powerlifting is quite appealing to my autism.

I think our disagreement is essentially semantic then. Not executing it with proper technique definitely makes a difference, but I don't think knowing what the technique and being able to achieve it is that hard. That has to do with exactly what you said, that its all about the setup. You aren't doing under tension or while you're moving and the movement itself is pretty simple. Squats on the other hand having a whole of different parts that all affect what is going on with the lift and you're having to maintain it throughout the movement. Having worked with other people, I've found it much more difficult to teach a proper squat vice a proper deadlift. The actual deadlift movement is pretty intuitive. The squat seems intuitive but it's not. Oh by the way, I'm speaking solely about the low bar squat. The high bar is much simpler actually and it's pretty much "sit down, stand up." Amazing how much difference a couple inches difference in bar position makes. Autism indeed. :spergin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yea, it's all splitting hairs. I'd much rather go for a max pull than a squat. A 300 something pound barbell on my back is like a big "haha gently caress you." It's a constant reminder that yea you gotta squat down and then go right back up with this bitch. A deadlift has that initial pull and the, "lol it's not moving" anxiety. The bench press is fun because the risk of atomizing your sternum is ever present.

One day I'm going to try the widowmaker. :cripes:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I ate like 30 wings last night. Today I could feel the protein coursing through my veins while I benched. BEEFCAAAAKE!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

OHP tends to progress pretty slowly. Definitely agree that you will end up resetting it a lot as you progress with SS. Christoff's description of the form is pretty much how I do it. If you really don't want to spend money on microplates I'm pretty sure there are some DIY ways out there of making your own. You could also try bat weights, I think I read that in Wendler's book but I don't know how much they cost.

Also about the press having once been the penis measuring contest. It used to be a competition lift in powerlifting but it was hard to judge and guys were getting ridiculous with the amount of leaning back they were doing to generate more power. But yeah its a tough lift, I hate it the most I think. A lot of that has to with my long arms so I tend to wear out more quickly doing them. The flip side of it is also like Christoff said, they will add some serious muscle mass, especially if you are doing any assistance work (big fan of dips myself).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Shrugs are good plus you feel strong because its not hard to do 3+ plates. Any clean movement because doing oly lifts makes you look cool.

The awesome thing about cleans is how much of an effect they have on your athleticism. I try to play pickup basketball a couple times a week and there is a definite difference between when I'm regularly doing cleans and when I'm not.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Finished my first 5/3/1 cycle today. Pretty happy with it. The last week was tougher than it seemed it would be. Next cycle I'm going to hit the assistance work a little harder now that I'm back in the swing of things. Probably won't even test my 1RM on any of the lifts. Just going to increase the estimate an appropriate amount for each lift. I figure as long as I can keep completing all the sets I'm making progress. Definitely feeling stronger and starting to lean out even with not watching my diet that closely.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Any recommendations on assistance work? Pretty limited on equipment since I use my garage. In addition to barbell, plates, and flat bench I have a spin bike, dip station, and treadmill.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Does the dip station have a pull up bar? Weighted pull ups and dips go a long way

No it doesn't have a pullup bar.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cycle 2 Day 2 5/3/1, Squat Day. Hit all my reps and decided to do a Tabata workout on the spin bike with moderate resistance. 20/10 for 4 minutes. Holy poo poo I was so gassed at the end of that. I laid on the floor without moving a bit for 10 minutes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Click Beelay posted:

Was starting to develop palm calluses again recently and, since my fingers are already ugly from playing guitar, decided to buy some straps.

Holy poo poo I can't recommend them enough, hands are healing well. Also I'm pretty sure they're the reason for my stupid gains on dead lifts this week.

Go buy straps.

Not a proponent of straps myself unless you are going really heavy. if you can out pull your grip than you should probably work on your grip. On a related note, I'm taking this week off thanks to tweaking my back on Friday doing said deadlifts. My own fault, kept pushing when I knew I was tired and as a result let my form break down. Nothing too bad but I don't mess around with lower back stuff because it just makes everything you do painful. Next round of deadlifts will be a deload though just to be safe.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Back at it today after my self imposed week off site to straining my lower back being stupid with deadlifts. Today was OHPs week 2 cycle 2 of 5/3/1. I've also adopted the BBB template where you do 5x10 of the primary lift as assistance. I also did 100 weighted sit-ups (25lbs). Back feels good, just a little stiff but warmed up nicely.

I now they've jumped the shark to some extent but I'll be damnned if I don't love me some Flogging Molly, especially while I'm lifting.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Oh, and gently caress you if you don't think a huge plate of spaghetti bolognese isn't the best post-workout meal.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mike-o posted:

i'm getting fat and i need to get swole, get rid of this freedom gut :smith:

Well the good news is that it sounds like you are on the path to at least looking like an elite powerlifter lol.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yes

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I use a belt and wrist wraps for max rep sets and maybe for a 1rm attempt, but that's it. I tried knee wraps at a clinic once, and wasn't sold.

I've heard a lot of people say you definitely need to train with wraps for a bit of time to really get a feel for what they can do for you. Considering where I'm at in my squat progression it's not really even a consideration for me.

Speaking of squats, today was my first day doing BBB assistance for squats. I used 30% of the 1RM I'm basing my current 5/3/1 cycle on. Let me tell my legs are loving are loving toast right now. Not in a bad way, just really spent. Next two days are going to be interesting. Thankfully tomorrow is a rest day.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Like I said, "from whatever narrow perspective he is looking at this from". I don't really care, I'm going to keep benching.

Hit 215x5x3 on the incline yesterday. I wish that the only other person in the gym at 3am didn't look like a concentration camp survivor so I could max out.

No, he's a loving retard. He flat out said bench press doesn't build strength which is objectively incorrect. Furthermore 'functional strength' is a bullshit buzzword which is how he tried to couch his argument. Building strength, which bench press does, helps you get better at all physical activities, full stop. Funny how his OP has some snarky c comment about 'what you read on the internet' when he is all about 'the core' and 'functional fitness', the two biggest bs phrases going in regards to fitness.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

OK Mr. Poopie Pants.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Click Beelay posted:

Mate bought a factory and turned it into a boxing/gym business in a local low-mid income area with the nearest competitor about 20km away. It's doing well so far.

Protein + creatine discounts and $1.00/kg weights I'm in heaven, can finally ditch all but two of the 5kg plates I've had for 10 years.

What are these kms and kgs of which you speak?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I've been crazy busy so last week I only got a couple workouts in. Luckily it was a deload week so I didn't feel too bad about it. Just started the 3rd cycle of 5/3/1 and its honestly pretty amazing how steadily I'm moving up. Adding BBB for assistance has been working out perfectly.

Christoff posted:

So how much are you paying a month? $200? $300?

Met up with an old friend of mine this weekend and his wife is getting ready to start a Crossfit gym. They are both really into it but not obnoxiously so unlike a lot of Crossfit people. I mentioned to him that the main problem with those places (besides some of the questionable stuff they do but I didn't get on that soapbox) is the price. He said they are planning on making their prices substantially lower than the other places in their town. Its crazy how much they charge given that most of the costs are up front and the monthly overhead is pretty low. I asked him if insurance was the reason those places charged so much and he said it was pretty reasonable. Basically he said those CF gyms are just cashing in on a fad. Pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Jesus is it that much? I pay $35 a month for Anytime Fitness. Only reason I go there is because I like to workout when I get out of work at 3:00 AM. Squat rack is always free.

There are two places around here that I know of and they both are around 200 a month if IIRC.