Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

You might also want to actually do a train up for it so you don't wind up with stress fractures out the rear end.

Can't forget the old faithful Iliotibial Band Syndrome, that's always a fun one.

Don't know how I'm going to handle 6 months of BCT and AIT with no lifting. MAH GAINS! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kaliber posted:

that makes no sense. You jackasses are allowed to drink and have gay sex with each other in hotels and wear civilians off duty and poo poo in AIT. Why would you not be able to hit the gym?

Too much time invested in banging smashing having respectful dialogue with womyn about patriarchal soci-... Okay, I can't even keep a straight face while typing that.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

elite_garbage_man posted:

Got a PFT next week and after that I'll be doing the same thing and adding some swimming and hiking back into my program.

I'll be trying out the wendler 5/3/1 program.

5/3/1 made me stop hating deadlifts, I almost found out the hard way that plain old 3x5 doesn't work so well past like 1.5xBW for reps. Working back up double overhand with chalk is fun, actually.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

"Combat Worst-Case Scenario: An Argument for Strength Training in the Military" by Maj. Ryan Whittemore

"Why Does the Army Want Me Weak? Training for Combat While Preparing for the Army Physical Fitness Test" by Maj. Ryan Long

I'm curious how many people in the military who are serious about lifting have read these two gems.

Both strongly advocate strength-based compound lifting, Major Long's essay outlines some of the better reasons to add Olympic lifts for explosive power, and he (albeit anecdotally) illustrates how interval training is vastly superior to distance running for the average soldier. Whittemore's a FSO with the 10th SFG, Long's a Phys Ed instructor at West Point. Their combined degrees, certifications, and experience are mind-boggling. The fact that both of these guys are practically ranting, shouting this poo poo from the rooftops and it's all falling on deaf ears... It's just loving depressing.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Rrail posted:

I think a lot of people report that they can do a 1.5m run just fine with interval training. Really the end of the story is that the military is totally retarded about this, and you should get out, if not for your sanity and your career, then for your body.

Joke's on you, I'm going in!

Wait a minute... :smithicide:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

psydude posted:

Gonna be nice and Army fat due to all of my lifting. I wonder if reserve tape tests are as hilarious as reserve APFTs. I can see myself suddenly having either 8 or 28% body fat.

Got taped at like... 22% at MEPS. I think I just stared at the Filipino dude for a minute after he said that, trying to figure out a more politic way to ask him if his parents were related. Tape test is so bad if you lift, it's amazing.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

gently caress it, I'm just going to start doing power shrugs like three times a week. No-neck status, here I come!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

Eh, I was hoping not to see that. Any other suggestions?

Straight-up caffeine pills should work if you're not a big coffee guy. Actual coffee can work too, but it's got some compounds that actually work as relaxants too as far as I know.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Somehow managed to up my low bar squat from 5/5/4 reps at 285 last week to 5/5/4 at 295 today, I think it might just be because I only had light deadlifts on Wednesday. Still enormously pissed with myself for being a retard and not squatting the first six months or so that I lifted.

HeyEng posted:

Oh gently caress yea. Squatted 270, deadlifted 385 today. This was coming from being 195lb 5'6" to 165. Took me 8 months but I'm pretty loving stoked with those numbers. GiP will not approve at this--cutting back my booze intake helped a lot with losing weight.

Impressive that you made that much progress, while cutting no less. Two questions: High bar or low bar squats, and have you tried deadlifting on separate days?

I've pretty much always done them on different days but I've tried them back to back before and it's never pretty. Even doing high bar instead of low (less posterior chain in high bar, more quads) my deadlift drops like a loving rock and just feels awful. Squats after deadlifting, I have no power at all coming out of the hole.

Actually, third question. Have you accepted magnesium carbonate as your lord and savior?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

Deadlifts are great from a military standpoint too. Rucks are a joke if you do deadlifts.

Honestly, if it wasn't for 5/3/1 I would have just said gently caress deadlifts a month or two ago. Example: Next week instead of doing 3 sets of 5 at 375 I do 5 x 290, 5 x 335, and 5 or more at 380. Instead of loving hating DL day with every fiber of my being, I actually love it again. Now I just hate these piece of poo poo rusty bars and hex plates.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

HeyEng posted:

:words:

What the tits... chalk for bench? Use it for deadlifts, you goony bastard. It's function is to make your hands not be greasy and sweaty, plus increase friction between them and the bar. I de-loaded a while back when I started using chalk then slowly worked my way back up double overhand, only using mixed when I absolutely had to. End result: Popeye forearms, and the childish satisfaction of being able to out-man other dudes in a handshake.

As for the routine wharrgarbl, I'd advocate parceling poo poo out into a basic push/pull/legs on non-consecutive days kinda deal. The total body poo poo might work for a while but in the long run doing a 3-day split and focusing on one (or two unrelated) compounds a day will have your lifts going up faster and more consistently. Add in one or two assistance exercises per compound with some iso work after everything else, and you're golden.

quote:

Monday: Front Squats [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working] Flat BB Bench [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working], Weighted Chest Dips [3x8], Incline BB Bench [3x8], DB Curls [3x8], and 21s.

Wednesday: Deadlift [5/3/1], Pull-ups [3xF], Seated Cable Rows [3x8], Kroc Rows [DB cheat rows, really heavy, one set 12-20 reps], Close Grip BB Bench [warm-up, 3x8], and Skullcrushers [3x8].

Friday: Low Bar Squats [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working], Glute-Ham Raise [3x8], OHP [5/3/1], DB OHP [3x8], and Lateral Raises [3x8].

That's the basic gist of what I do. It balances heavy compounds with slightly more volumetric assistance and iso work, distributes it evenly in the week so the next compounds aren't affected by muscular or CNS fatigue from the previous workout, and covers all the bases muscularly speaking. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a starting point that you can elaborate on.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

HeyEng posted:

Cool. I haven't read up on anything beyond the 5x5 or 5/3/1. Looks good.

Just wait, before too long you'll be up all night reading sports medicine journals and screaming at people about sarcoplasmic versus myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

I have seen the promised land, and the road there is paved with chicken breast and broccoli.

I don't know about your road but mine's paved with bacon, eggs with hot sauce, chili that burns going both ways, tuna with spicy ranch, burgers, and bratwurst. I get an unhealthy amount of pleasure from seeing the horrified looks on peoples' faces in the gym when food chat starts up, especially when horror turns into hatred after we compare lifts. Only bad thing is when the tape test somehow has me pegged at ~22% body fat, which would be funny if that wasn't close to the point where I get bitched at for being a fatass. I don't get it, do I have like an extra 10 lbs of visceral fat just hidden in miscellaneous parts of my body?

EDIT: Crop dusting people at the gym is my secret joy. Dude curling in the squat rack? Say hello to the vomitous, salty garbage effluvia made possible by eggs, bacon, french press coffee, and chili con queso.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 8, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

is that combination something you get at Applebees or Chilis?

My usual breakfast and lunch. The chili's a homemade labor of love; 2 1/2 pounds of 90/10, 3 pounds of vidalia onions, a few celery stalks, 3 cans of dark red kidney beans, a big can of crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, jalapenos, garlic, and worcestershire sauce. I cook the onions, celery, and garlic then brown the meat with the worcestershire, spices, and jalapenos then throw everything in a slow cooker and add some water. 3-4 hours later, huge pot o' awesome that lasts me at least a week.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

You know, I like some of the crossfit workouts, but lately I've been getting a little tired of this cult-like mindset it's created. You don't hear people say "I'm going to workout" it's "I'm going to do crossfit". I saw two dudes at the PX wear shirts that said "fran, helen, (some other chicks name on it)" and you could tell they just felt :smug:.

I could go full sperg and wall-of-text the gently caress out of people about CultFit, but that sounds too much like giving a gently caress. Let me just say that a program focused on linear progression of the basic compounds with some assistance work added, combined with HIIT/sprint training and a day for Oly lifting (the way it's supposed to be done, low reps and heavy as gently caress) is going to trounce any CrossFit program (that's actually "true" to CrossFit). Badly.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

:words:

Pretty much nail on the head there, CrossFit's an amazing amount of pointless dick-waving without a whole lot of benefit compared to other stuff.

Ashmole posted:

I did crossfit for a while and it did smoke me, but I wasn't really progressing in anything. My PT scores and general fitness have shot up just doing bodyweight warm-up, 5x5, HIIT+the running I do for PT.

That's usually how it works. Heavy compounds for overall strength, one or two assistance lifts for a bit of volumetric work once you can handle more than just the compounds. Olympic lifts are the first and last word on training explosive power. Explosive power, according to the two essays I posted a couple of pages back from much more knowledgeable people than I, is extremely useful if you're an NFL linebacker or a soldier. Also mentioned in one of the two essays is the positive cost-benefit ratio of HIIT training versus traditional distance running. So combining compounds for strength, Oly lifting for snap power, and HIIT training for cardiovascular stamina is like the holy trinity of physical conditioning.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

^^^

First wave of the third cycle for me today. Deadlifted 5@290, 5@335, and 6@380. First time in a while that I've immediately felt them in my hamstrings and glutes. Having the entire weight room go quiet and stare was pretty funny, too. I'm pretty amped, on track to hit at least a 5 plate max deadlift by the time I ship end of August.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use strstd.com to calculate my 5/3/1 routine. It can be a little off one way or another on projected 1RMs but it can still give you a general idea, in addition to it's calculator function.

Ashmole posted:

I felt like a bad rear end doing it at first because the workouts are so weird, but CF is so loving random. "Let's do uh...5 sets of back squats for, hmmm 2 reps each? OK that's today's WOD. Tomorrow, uh... 100 pull ups and 50 200lb power cleans for time" The emphasis on reps over form is also terrible for a fitness program aimed at a general population.

Yeah, I didn't feel like even touching the loving pants-on-head retardation involved in doing the most technique-based CNS-heavy lifts for time, with the most mind-bogglingly atrocious form imaginable. That plus the schizophrenic clusterfuck of programming or lack thereof inherent to "real" CrossFit just makes me cringe every time I think about it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Starting PT Monday with an overenthusiastic 1SG after a month of not running in Reception, who wants to bet on how fast my shin splints come back and I'm on profile (again)?

gently caress distance running forever, gently caress formation running forever squared, vive la... Uh... Sprint training.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

DoktorLoken posted:

Reception? Are you posting from BCT?

Fort Sam, 68W AIT.

Side note: Deadlifts more than once a week is kinda retarded; you're either doing too many reps/sets for a primarily CNS-based lift, or you're going low and heavy but not giving anywhere near enough recovery time.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Are we not supposed to take PT tests with proscription strength antiinflammatories and caffeine pills? Oops.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kaliber posted:

How did you do? Because that sounds kinda AWESOME.

15 points higher than my last PT test like a month ago, significantly reduced fucks being given about stupid TRADOC PT in between. I'd say pretty good over all.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Monkeys, typewriters, Shakespeare, etc.

Edit: Why the gently caress can I not find a goddamned pair of Romaleos 2s anywhere? TAKE MY MONEY, NIKE!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Cubism I think.

Anyone know how to get rid of stretch marks? Do I just need to quit getting my swole on? My arms are getting them on my bicep and now they're appearing on my back near my armpits. I fear my shoulders are next.

Get ready for monster stretch marks right over the pec-delt insertion points, too.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

FWIW until I started hitting mid 300s for bench I was steadily increasing with this:

5/3/1 warm-up
3x5 flat bench at working weight
3x5 weighted dips
3x8 incline bench

Biceps work after bench, rest day, tri/back, rest day, and then shoulders/legs. The warm-up, heavy main compound, and two assistance lifts formula just made my lifts cruise up at a steady pace with no plateaus. I'd finally hit 5, 5, and 5 or 8, 8, and 8 on a lift and bump the weight up by 5lbs then start working back up. I only really recently transitioned from 3x5 to 5/3/1 on my main compounds after I started getting decent numbers.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

So... First back workout in like 8 months. Shrugs 3x5, cable rows with the triangle 3x8, pullovers 3x8, and burnout kroc rows. Wake up at 11:30 to stumble into the DFAC and have the CSM serve me bone-dry turkey, almost cry getting out of bed. Holy making GBS threads dicknipples, I love being this sore.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Sweet baby Jesus, my legs are loving done. Haven't lifted in two months then had the bright idea to do 5x5 high bar squats and 3x8 romanian deadlifts with my new Romaleo 2s. Surprised I made it back to the barracks, much less up the stairs to my room, without a fireman's carry or crutches.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

A quality post, thank you. There's a park and a bit of forest a few kliks away, I could go there with a bicycle. It would be a bit more time consuming but probably be worth it. And yes, running is super gay.

Wait, what

Anesthesia, blood thinning, plus if it's beer then fucktons of carbs. It's really, really popular to pound one down before a PT test or run. Downside is it starts wearing off after the first mile-ish, but by then you're usually over the "Oh Jesus gently caress running is gay, everything is gay, gently caress this gay earth" feeling. Either that or you just hit that perfect delta between hammered enough to carry you through the entire run but not visibly drunk.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

elite_garbage_man posted:

ohp 9x135 (weak)

Are we talking normal standing OHP? Because I can crank out 2 plate seated OHP like it's nothing but standing makes me feel like a little bitch every time. Might just be an imbalance between my retard-strong back and (relatively) weak core.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Christoff posted:

I was doing mixed for a while until I decided to give hook grip an honest go (double overhand) Like it a lot better.

I've gotten this far without a belt I don't think I'll start using one until I'm squatting 300+ and deadlifting 400+. Who knows.

One of the big reasons I'm so hesitant about hook grip is the whole possible permanent loss of feeling / nerve damage thing kinda inherent to that grip style. That and I'm a gigantic pussy, it's easier doing mixed than working through the feeling of my thumbs being squeezed in a pair of pliers while they're pulling them off.

EDIT: Plus I have a serious love-hate relationship with deadlifts. On one hand you feel like the loving Hulk when you're pulling like half again what anyone else is. On the other I've had two minor disc herniations that thankfully resolved themselves, but also left some lingering lumbar/sciatic pain that likes to pop up at random moments. Most confusingly being it's absence after heavy squats or deadlifts.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 6, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Christoff posted:

Been hearing a lot of fuss about the 5/3/1 program. I looked at it real quick and it seems a bit intimidating. But I know there's calculators and stuff. I've been doing starting strength with good results but I think it's almost time to switch.

Also tried front squats for the first time a couple weeks ago. They're tough.

What's the preferred grip/form if you're not doing Olympic poo poo? I tried the one with the bent wrist but it was killing my wrist and felt really difficult. Think I prefer the crossed forearms with elbows up instead.

I think strstd.com still does accurate calculations for your 5/3/1 in addition to the whole lift rating poo poo. As far as front squat form goes the main reason why people poo poo on crossed arms is because it compromises your upper back stability, which is a big part of how you hold that much weight on your delts for that long. A decent alternative that I've seen is to loop straps around the bar and hold onto them as far down as your flexibility allows. While you're doing that try to work in wrist flexibility poo poo, one of the best for FS is just having some heavy poo poo racked at the right height and just putting your hands into the traditional FS form while it's chilling there. Treat it like a stretch and just keep working at it until your wrists don't feel like they're breaking.

Plus like 99% of people that start front squatting or oly lifting suffer from the same poo poo where you can't rack it just right to where it's actually on your delts without entirely resting the weight on your wrists, but also not choking you the gently caress out.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Are we talking static or dynamic stretching? 'Cause static stretching before pretty much any physical activity is a no-no. But warmup sets has worked pretty much fine for me over the past couple years, just the basic 5/3/1 style. 40% for 5, 50% for 5, 60% for 3, whatever the main compound is for 3x5 (1x5 deads). After the main compound it's just right into whatever else, unless I'm doing completely different body parts in the same workout like bench and squat, in which case I'd do the same warm-ups for squats too.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

The safety bars are always a touch too high above the chest, which makes getting into a proper wind-up impossible. I make sure every rep hits my chest and stays there for a beat before finishing the rep. Can't really do that in a cage.

Works a lot better if you arch decently PL-style when you bench. Set the bars just at chest height when you're relaxed, then get your shoulders tucked and your arch locked in, bam. Bars end up below chest height while you're benching and if you fail, just relax out of the arch and slide out from under the bar.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

reptileintheswamp posted:

That's drat good news and what I was planning on doing lacking a better plan anyway. I'll keep you posted.

[spoiler] killed my push-ups but passed out on the run thank you goon sire

Tabata push-ups and sit-ups are amazing.

Christoff posted:

I cringe when I see dudes stack 4 plates on each side for deadlifts and then bend over to grab the bar and arch/curve their back and then slowly straighten it out on the way up. Yikes.

Most people have almost no prioproceptive awareness of their lumbar arch. One awesome way I've actually found is RDLs and basically putting your hand or fist against their lower back, that's going to key their focus and awareness to that specific area you're touching. You simultaneously find the stretch-reflex point for your hamstrings and build peoples' focus on their posterior chain.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Christoff posted:

I love RDL's but it's just hard to keep your form in check and make sure you're doing it correctly. Even more so than deadlifts. I think I got it down but yeah.

That's why I advocate most people start really light and use it more as a teaching aid for prioproception than as an actual strength exercise. I mean if you've got solid awareness of and ability to maintain your lumbar curve through the whole thing, it's a golden posterior chain exercise. But most people? They'll just gently caress their poo poo up if they try to go heavy.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

gently caress it, I give up. Let somebody else run sick call so I don't have to deal with the shambles of human beings that'll hobble into the aid station in a couple months.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So a couple weeks ago I fell on the stairs directly onto my tailbone. I took it easy and laid off the gym while my butt, neck, and back recovered.

Neck and back are doing good, butt still feels a bit off, but doesn't hurt. Eager to get back to the gym though so I think I'm just going to lay off deadlifts/squats for a while.

Anything different you guys could recommend that doesn't work the butt? Probably going to work on my bench and stuff.

I'd suggest trying as much as you can without actual pain, honestly. Gradually and carefully, but the general rule with back injuries is the less you baby it the better the outcomes are.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Do you live near a university? Colleges will typically buy new weight lifting equipment every couple years and get rid of perfectly good stuff for pennies on the dollar. University of Maryland has an entire website dedicated just to selling their surplus stuff.

:stare:

Lived in Baltimore all my life and yet I never knew this was a thing. Holy gently caress.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Well that was satisfying. After not lifting much at all while I was in, had my second week back in the gym doing deadlifts on Wednesday.

5@135, 5@225, 3@315 warm-up double overhand, last set felt light so I decided to try and find my current max. Last time I maxed was at 445 before I enlisted.

365 overhand, no problem. 385, same deal. 405 flew off the floor but I felt it slip a little getting it locked out, so switch to mixed and belted up. 425 went smooth, then 435, then 445. At this point I'm wondering if someone slipped something in my water bottle. I noticed a couple guys watching me rip this poo poo off the floor, now it seems like my side of the gym stops whenever I set up on the bar. 455 and I've officially surpassed my previous PR that happened after a year and a half of serious dedicated lifting, during my second session back. 465 is easy. I'm pretty sure people ten feet away can hear Till Lindermann screaming lyrics out of my earbuds. 475 and 485 go up with no hesitation, and I'm almost skipping along I'm so giddy as I grab another set of 45s to rack on. I can feel the bar shift the tiniest bit in my hands as it goes up, and I've got a couple chunks of skin torn on my fingers. gently caress it, 505 it is. The bar shifts a little more and I feel two callouses tear, but it comes up with only a little difficulty at the lockout.

Reracking that poo poo after doing nothing but deadlifts for like an hour and a half was loving terrible.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Making me feel scrub-tier trying to get my deadlift back over 300 since I pulled a muscle in my back this spring.

If it makes you feel any better, my squat is loving embarrassing right now and I'm slowly working my way back up. Part of the problem is horrible inflexibility, I'm doing high bar and even with my baller Romaleos IIs I'm getting serious buttwink trying to hit rear end to grass.

I also fell down the stairs three times today after doing 3x5 high bar at the end of my chest/bis workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

[video type="youtube"][/video]

While I love how fat that belt makes me look, I should probably invest in a nice two prong leather dealie.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 24, 2017