Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

psydude posted:

Or maybe if our Army loved marathons as much as the officer corps does we would finally be able to defeat the Taliban?

-Gen Patreus, noted warrior-marathon warrior monk

Rrail posted:

I just take HGH.

Whose your supplier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

anne frank fanfic posted:

If you take any supplements ever you're one of the dumbest retards in the world. I guess I'll do whatever a young new soldier thinks is right, that's probably the right thing to do for some reason.

Proper supplementation is pretty important to any successful exercise regimen. poo poo like Jack3d or NOXPLODE, isn't necessary at all but it helps when you might not have the desire to lift. Same with cutting supplements and losing weight.

vains
May 26, 2004

Rrail posted:

This is literally all the excitement I have in my life at this point.

What a sad sad life...

lol jk bro. who currrrss. Tell those cunts to gently caress off.

vains
May 26, 2004

gleep glop posted:

No. Threaten to put your weiner in his face if he doesn't agree to stop.

just freeball while spotting him

vains
May 26, 2004

Ashmole posted:

Speaking of rucking: I tried out a marine's arcteryx ruck...holy gently caress it's amazing.

They're actually not very good. They're getting replaced for a variety of reasons(dont fit over armor very well, too tall)

vains
May 26, 2004

nuncle jimbo posted:

The gently caress is 'x-tren'? Googling leads me to all kinds of steroid sites - was this guy on gear? That seems like an awful idea from what I've heard about steroids and connective tissue, but then he's SF and I'm still a civilian, so what the gently caress do I know. Was using pretty common at the height of the wars?

If I could have found steroids when I was in Iraq, I would have juiced like a motherfucker.

vains
May 26, 2004

http://vimeo.com/47875656 from ylls

The last two months I've been hitting the gym pretty consistently and made back a lot of what I lost since 2009. Picking up and putting down big pieces of metal owns.

I'm thinking about doing front squats instead of back squats. Is there any reason not to do this?

Also, how the gently caress do you eat ~3000 calories?

lmao. If her arms are bigger than yours, get in the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUNKKgZ-1w&t=30s

vains fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 30, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

Was trying to get my swole on last night(arms day best day) and this loving skinny dude was tying up the preacher curl pad for like 15 minutes doing 10million sets of 40lb curls and loving with his phone. I was internally raging so hard at him for loving up my routine.

vains
May 26, 2004

HeyEng posted:

That's base gym standard. I just assume I'll be waiting for some rear end in a top hat doing curls in the cage.

I wanted to tell him "bitch, I got a small asian women to curl. Look at these guns" but I didnt want to be rude.

vains
May 26, 2004

moker posted:

I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

bro this is a ~safe space~ to talk about our lifts(cardio is gay), hate on dudes curling in the squat rack and proper supplementation(i.e. which dude to ask for roids).

vains
May 26, 2004

I was waiting on the pec fly machine in the gym today(lmao what kind of gayby uses machines, right?) while this kid does 7 sets on it. Finally, I ask him "How many more sets?" He responds with a confused look on his face, "Sets?"

vains fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 7, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

I am guilty of this sometimes and I always feel like someone should break a plate glass window over my head when I do it. No one does of course, because it's par for the course for the base gym.

That's why I signed up for the YMCA today :sun:

Why is that a big deal? "oh no you made a noise with the weights?? get the gently caress out!"

vains
May 26, 2004

Grampybone posted:

How on earth are you guys the "only" people you know that apparently work out "correctly"?

I think someone might want to rethink the who's being :smug:

I don't think anyone is saying that so...?

vains
May 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE&t=20s

Why is running all of a sudden a cool thing for people to do? If you participate in a Tough Mudder, are you required by law to post pictures of yourself afterwards?

vains
May 26, 2004

I'd ask in YLLS but I don't feel like being called a retard for not reading a 125 page thread. When I squat, I can't keep my heels on the floor around the point that my thighs are getting parallel to the deck.* I can squat if I put my heels on small weights but I'd like to be flexible enough to not need to do so. I also don't want to buy special shoes in order to squat. What should I do to improve my flexibility?

*intentional use of naval terminology

vains
May 26, 2004

Christoff posted:

You should be using the flattest sole possible to squat. I know you guys get all snippy when Vibram elitist act....themselves. But they're really great to squat in. More support is worse for you. I've seen dudes do it barefoot.

You might feel like a douchebag but this is better than your $200 new balance

That being said. Nothing wrong with a 2.5 lb plate under your heels.

Otherwise you might be leaning too far forward. I have a bum ankle and lost a lot of flexion and don't have troubles.

I'm fully open to the idea that my form sucks dick. I read the YLLS form thread a lot but I guess it's just not clicking for me.

I didn't have a problem squatting in high school but I always had a spotter and the weight room had these baller rear end squat bars.

They probably actually suck really bad but I liked them because I could use my hands on the rack to keep my balance while squatting. Maybe my problem is that I don't have a spotter so I'm afraid to lean back too far.

Godholio posted:

I like all-stars. :mad:

you would, you gingerfuck

vains
May 26, 2004

moker posted:

it sounds like you lean way too far foreward towards the bottom, it isnt really terrible to use some small plates over your heels tough, works the quads more. it took me a long time and massive amounts of youtube spergin but the thing that finally made squats click for me was being told to break at your hips, not your knees. maybe itll help another goon out there some fateful day~

also before squats to stretch i get in the deepest squat stance i can manage and hold it for 20 seconds, really loosens me up ;)

converse are gay and dumb

Yeah, I watch a lot of videos of really buff dudes lifting weights on youtube. I guess I'll keep watching videos and reading the internet until it clicks. I don't know if I get "break at the hips" though.

I'm pretty comfortable doing the other 3 compound lifts and leg pressing. Leg presses are cool because you can load up a ton of weight and feel strong/superior to the dudes in the gym who don't do legs.

edit: I have no idea what the point of the bar is. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about keeping it on my back so I could use my hands to steady myself. That's probably not the designers intent but whatever. I used it in weightlifting PE a decade ago.

vains fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 14, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

This guy's poo poo is pretty good. A lot of videos to watch and words to listen to so I can only watch one or two videos at a time.

edit:
Almost barfed in the gym doing legs today. My greatest regret was not finishing off with lunges to ensure that I puked.

I have scrawny rear end calves but not scrawny thighs. Other than shaving my legs, how do I make my calves not appear so scrawny? I don't want someone to surreptitiously take a picture of my legs and turn them into an image meme.

Unrelated; Whenever someone tells me that I look good/big, I always think they're loving with me and I start thinking about how I'm not eating enough or lifting enough or whatever. Body dysmorphia is loving cool. It's also good motivation because anytime I feel too lazy to lift I just start thinking about how small I am.

vains
May 26, 2004

vacation in merica posted:

Your calves are small cause your not doing enough calf raises. If calf raises aren't helping then guess what you got small legs God hosed you.

Bro...wow...thanks for the stunning insight into building one's calf muscles. Mind=blown.

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

tbqh i dont ever do calves bc the size gain is not worth all the effort it takes :|

easiest way to get swole calves: get super fat and walk a lot

I read on some body building blog you have to do sets of 50 or something ridiculous.

or do roids or synthol or whatever.

vacation in merica posted:

How do you think you grow calfs smart guy?

edit: also if your reverse anorexia is really that bad just get implants.

Its more of a joke than anything else. If I really had bigorexia, I probably wouldn't post about how small I am since I'd be embarrassed by it.

vains
May 26, 2004

Yeah i mean just my own experience calves take way too much for what you get out of it. Not joking about the formerly fat people have awesome calves thing either its ridiculous

arg. I'm going to be have worse calves than all the goons who used to be fat and then lost a whole lot of weight and started lifting? gently caress. Well, at least I wont have disgusting stretched out skin that costs thousands in plastic surgery to repair.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486615

vains
May 26, 2004

Not tryin to be a dick but why even care about calves? Seriously do girls find them hot im out of the loop *inhales cheeto*

curls get gurls bro.

I don't know. I don't even like wearing shorts that much and I don't really know how important calves are for big lifts like deadlifting or squats.

vains
May 26, 2004

for lifts? not important in the slightest. theyre the most glamour muscle there is tbh

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head since then.

Oh well, I just wanted to bro out and talk about lifting weights so mission accomplished.

vains
May 26, 2004

Shasta Cola posted:

Not even sure if serious posting is allowed anymore, but while running in general made my calves look nice, running hills made my calves look fuckin' amazing. Then again I'm a tiny Asian boy, and not a master race Aryan USMC chester pulley.

Running sucks. I'll just deal with not having gigantic calves. Alas.

vains
May 26, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Backwards sled pulls burn my calves up like a motherfucker.

My gym is okay(like you can make noise and wont get in trouble) but they don't have an oly platform or a sled or anything.

mods rename me 'curl bro' thanks in advance

vains fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

Cole posted:

Hey bros how do I get JACKED UP forearms like popeye?

Jacking off works for me. I don't know how to do my offhand without compromising my sex life though.

vains
May 26, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

My test got moved from Saturday to Sunday and I just got a really painful hemorrhoid. Gonna be a fun drill of no drinking and rubbing prep h on my rear end in a top hat.

Cool, well on that note...

Is there any reason why you shouldn't only do curls on the preacher pad or that thing that you wear to isolate your arms during standing curls?

If isolation is desired while training the bicep muscle(and it is afaik), then why do lifts that don't maximize isolation? Unless you can hold your entire upper body statuesquely still, you're cheating on any standing or sitting curls(or you're working out with pink weights). What is the specific value of sitting/standing curls that you don't get on the preacher pad/that arm isolater thing?

edit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424&pagenumber=149#post408436510

lmao

vains fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 12, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

Nobody cares about the numerous failings of your retarded organization.

vains
May 26, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509712

If you want to whine about the Army, do it in the Army thread. Thanks in advance!

vains
May 26, 2004

barbudo posted:

Squats are useless anyway

You don't rate enough to troll this thread.

vains
May 26, 2004

Yo what are some good ways to keep track of calories/get into the swing of doing that?

Obviously, I need to get a scale but like...gear, tricks to get into the habit etc.

vains
May 26, 2004

I should have specified 'caloric intake'. I already keep track of my lifts because I'm not some scrub. Keeping track of how many calories you "burn" is retarded.

I know that I'm not eating enough. The logical thing seems to be to keep track of how much I eat. To that end, I need a scale, some way to keep track of caloric intake and, most importantly, I need to develop the habit.

edit: BMR is a joke. Mine says that I'm so disgustingly obese that I can't see my dick.

vains fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 2, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

You're confusing Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) with Body Mass Index (BMI).

Oh true.

In either case, I planned setting a goal of 2900-3100 calories and seeing if I gained or lost weight and adjusting from there.

vains
May 26, 2004

SneakySnake posted:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Try that and then the daily needs calculator after it. 3000 calories is a lot of food dude I think you're overestimating unless you're doing serious workouts 5 days a week.

Since it spits out a value based on my height and weight, it's probably isn't worth anything beyond an okay starting point.

How did you all(as in, anyone that does this) get in the habit of keeping track of your caloric intake? White board on the fridge? Precooked and portioned foods? Just loving do it(the least helpful tip to get in the habit)?

Here is a cool picture from YLLS. Thanks for reading!

vains fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

I'm about to hit a personal goal on the bench(225x10) and I'd like to switch up chest day for a few weeks. Currently I do:
Barbell flat
Incline dumbbell
Cable cross over
Pec Deck

I'm looking to replace barbell flat and incline dumbbell with something that is easy on the shoulders and involves free weights.

vains
May 26, 2004

cruelangeleo7 posted:

A lot of my power lifter friends get good mileage out of close-grip bench. I like paused bench. Maybe try pin press, too?

I do close grip for a triceps workout. Pin press is where you start with the bar resting on the safeties in a power cage or whatever?
http://train.elitefts.com/exercises-by-body-part/pecs-exercises-by-body-part/floor-press-off-pins/

vains fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 10, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

cruelangeleo7 posted:

Yeah.

If you can do weighted dips, those're awesome as well. I've never had much difficulties with my shoulders doing them.

I don't have any real shoulder issues. I'd just like to give them a rest from barbell benching for a few weeks. I think I'd prefer to do dumbbell exercises over barbell and incline over flat.

I do dips at the end of chest/tris day since they work out both.

vains
May 26, 2004

neutral grip db benching? i havent done them in forever but they're easier on your shoulders iirc

Really not many good compound chest lifts that don't involve shoulders to some degree

my chest day is pretty simple and i've never had shoulder issues but 3 of them stress your shoulders decently

flat bb bench
incline db bench
dips
skullcrushers

Skullcrushers for chest? I'm not a lifting expert but I thought they were more of a triceps exercise. I guess they're kind of like pullovers though.

I'm sure this exercise has a name but I don't know what it is.
1- Start laying on a bench or inclined, dumbbells in a normal DB flat press position. Palms facing up/towards your feet
2- Press the dumbbell up while rotating your wrist and bringing the dumbbells together.
3- End with your palms facing each other and the dumbbells touching.

I was thinking about doing whatever that is called or or dumbbell squeeze press
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv3dxTXrG-8

vains
May 26, 2004

I look at routines like Alfalfa's and I wonder if they're objectively better than mine. I would bet so since I don't have a degree in lifting weights but I don't really understand if mine is terrible and, if it is, what an appropriate routine would be. Like, I don't have any frame of reference to judge routines beyond "Is it based on heavy compound movements?" Beyond that, every routine is just a bunch of lifts and numbers that don't have any greater meaning to me.

I make gains doing my own thing but the sperg nerd in me wants to min/max my time in the gym.

quote:

Chest/Tris
BB Bench 4(sets)x4-6(reps)
DB Incline 4x4-6
Skull Crushers 3x10
Rope Triceps Pulldown 4x10
Cable Cross Over 3x10
Underhand Tri Pulldowns 3-4x10
Pec Deck 3x8-10

Back
BB Deadlift 3-4x10(working on form before I move into low reps/higher weight)
Pullups 4 sets(interspersed with deadlifts)
Seated Cable Rows 4x4-6
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3x6-8
Close Grip Lat Pulldown 3x6-8
T-bar Rows 4x10

Bis/Tris/Shoulders
Preacher BB Curl 1x10, 3x4-6
Seated DB Hammer Curl 3x6
Close Grip Bench 3-4x10
Y Bar Triceps Pulldown 4x10
Standing Widegrip Curls 3x8-10 or Cable Rope Hammer Grip 3x8-10
Neutral Grip Tri pulldowns 4x10 (rope attachment)
Overhand Cable Curls 3x10 or Concentration Curls 3x10

BB Shrugs 4x6-8
BB Overhead Press 3x8-10
Front Raise 3x10
Side Cable Raise 3x10
Hammer Machine Shoulder Press 3x6-10(if I feel up to it)
(If I do shoulders on their own day I'll do hang cleans instead of front raise or something)

Legs
Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press 4x6-8 or ramping up weight from 10 reps to 1 rep(ex 1x10, 1x10, 1x6-8 etc)
Leg Curl 3x10
Leg Extension 3x10
Weighted lunges or calf raises or step ups or whatever.

After writing my entire routine down, the biggest thing that leaps out at me is the amount of cable work I do. Maybe I'm doing too many exercises on some days? Every couple of weeks I'll change a few of the exercises or rep ranges but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Martello posted:

Are these 4-day a week splits? Like, you do Chest/Tris one day, Back another, and so on? Because I used to do it like that, but 6 days a week (especially in Afghanistan) and I was lifting a lot of loving weight after a month or so. However I also hurt myself a few times, including tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I don't think I'll ever get past 225 on the bench again because of that, although it won't stop me from trying. Also, I was getting a ton of sleep (staff) and just took a shitton of jack3d and protein every night. I don't think any of that was an especially good idea, and as I get closer to 30 I'm trying to be more careful with my body. All that to say, the 3 day a week Alfalfa's is working really well so I'm gonna keep doing that for a while.

If you want better answers from people who know more than I do, I'd recommend posting in this thread.

Yeah, 4 day splits unless I do shoulders on their own day. Depends on my schedule and how I'm feeling after doing bis/tris. I don't really understand why a 3 day split is desirable beyond rest days and reduced wear/tear.

Getting a response in that thread is real hit or miss because the thread moves so fast.