Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I take 6 oxyelite and jack3d pre-workout. It's cool bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They just moved everyone into new non-student barracks rooms. Before it was pretty poo poo where you shared one room on the upper floor of student barracks with another dude and had no personal space. Nothing more than a microwave.

Now they're in these super swanky barracks with their own huge bed, room, and shared kitchenette with oven/stove/full fridge.

The MA1 of our command says no one gets BAS because the money goes to our poo poo galley. I was told that wasn't even true and that he wasn't even one to sign-off on the chit. It sucks because BAS is a scam in itself (pay for food whether you eat or not? And who the gently caress spends $325 on food a month?) and the dudes who work night shift get hosed.

Wait is this about fitness?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 7, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Henry Meowlins posted:

No. I did get some more of those, but doc onboard gave me that.

I got some 5/325 percocets.

Change your socks and hydrate

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Supplements is a pretty broad term.

I think everyone should take fish oil, a multi, and protein at least post workout. Maybe before and in the morning. But not 100 grams per pound of bodyweight like some people.

Also I think everyone should take a vitamin-c extract and green tea extract but that's just me.

Oh and oxyelite. 8-10 a day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And any supplement. Especially creatine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's so hard to get the motivation to lift after 12 hour shifts.

They sell jack3d at the NEX?

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, I think the biggest thing is keeping yourself busy. They always say that when you stop smoking you gain weight (not only since nicotine suppresses your appetite) but because you have to keep your hands busy and just end up eating more than normal. Get some healthy snacks, gum (niotine gum if need be), and go workout.

For those relatively new to weight lifting and not those bullshit waste of time workouts your command makes you do I highly recommend "Starting Strenght," by Mark Rippetoe.

SA link here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2509212

And I know a lot of you are trying to quit completely it's extra tough when you're in the Military and constantly surrounded by it. "hey, let's go check the weather." Because gently caress, smoking gives you a accumulative hour break by the end of the day. An excuse to dip from work. It's even worse when you're out drinking. Anyways, my e-cigarette fills that void. If I'm drunk and at a bar with friends I can't not go outside and socialize. Let's be honest most of us just smoke for the social aspect. So, if you just can't shake it. Look into an e-cigarette.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Captain Payne posted:

Is it possible to take 10g of fish oil a day without spending a ton of money?

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_no340.htm

In fact I recommend https://www.dpsnutrition.net for all your supplement needs. Only problem is the interface sucks and sometimes you have to search for the supplement you want by clicking on the manufacture and such.

10g seems like a lot. I guess if you get the Super EPA that's only 5 pills throughout the day, though. It says to take 2 a day. The weird thing is the smaller bottle (120 gel caps) says take 2 twice a day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Abs, biceps, and chest gets you laid.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Motivate Motivate

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

005060524 posted:

That image always makes me laugh because the first time I ever saw it was when someone had photoshopped the order of the pictures in the opposite order so that he got fatter over time, and then pasted a video game logo over it, suggesting that he started playing and went from swole to fluff.

heh, found it in the "random pictures on imgur," thread

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Casualty posted:

I'm down but give me a week or two to binge first.

What he said.

I took a solid 3 weeks off or so. Aside from drinking with friends when I was at home. Couldn't make it a month.

Can we make the rule "no solo day drinking" ?

Which is what I'm about to do. :o:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But Arnold would chug booze post workout and look at him.

:colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Considering I ended up on the livingroom floor somehow last night I'm in. However, when I drive south to visit family/friends I can't guarantee I won't have a bar night out. Maybe I'll just DD.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

are we using this thread or we gonna have an official one so I can complain about my withdrawls

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Chances are if you think it's banned you probably shouldn't be taking it.

Starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu again soon and Muay Thai most likely. I'm a bit intimidated to go to my first Muay Thai class though. I'm a terrible boxer and kick like a girl.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

psydude posted:

In the Army, supplements are banned during training as of June of last year. AAFES removed it from its stock, but you can still buy it off-post. There's not an actual "ban" on it; they've just made it slightly harder to get.

buttplug posted:

I can confirm that bodybuilding.com no longer ships Jack3d (or, per their disclaimer, no products with "Methylhexanamine" in them) to APO/FPO addresses.

Gee thanks, nevermind the fact that they're not banned in the Navy, just make everybody's decisions for them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Goons stick to weight lifting because muscles get chicks.

Crossfit makes dudes look normal and makes chicks hot.

I'm still skeptical of the whole crossfit thing. I mean, can't complain about it getting people to get off their butt. But still. The regiments are just weird and don't seem good for your body in the long-term.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rrail posted:

Crossfit is loving dumb as the main workout type. Lift weights.

Just did shoulders (after taking a percocet a couple hours prior), pretty sure tomorrow is going to suck because I wasn't feeling pain and now it's hard to use my arms.

You seriously took percocet 2 hours prior to a workout? Are you a loving idiot? You just trying to damage your shoulders more?

I see you're filling your alcohol void.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

5 hours isn't long enough.

I'm just saying man working out with any kind of pain-reliever is a bad idea. Especially if you already have an injury.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't know about eggs, but dairy is probably the worst. Once I gave up dairy I started slimming down dramatically. Also, in "The China Study" milk proteim was what dr. campbell used tp give rats cancer. funnily enough, he had actually set out to prove the opposite (that milk protein was good for you). Then he discovered that the group of rats given the high doses of milk protein invariably gave the rats cancer. It's a seriously mind-blowing book.

Wait, what? Dairy is bad for you? Seriously man? I mean don't chug a gallon of whole milk everyday but I'd much rather drink dairy for the health benefits than worry about the possible weight gain it'd give me. Or cancer. Not all fat is bad fat. I drink skim anyways.

Also, eat the loving egg yolks guys. It's where all the nutrients are. It's not loving bad for you unless you already have cholesterol issues.

Go vegan? What?

Bunch of loving girls. Stop worrying about denying yourself from something completely. There's something called moderation.

Vibrams own. Telling people who give me poo poo for them to f off owns. (They're NAVADMIN approved)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 7, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Only if you wear athletic socks with them! :saddowns:

I haven't had an issue yet even during the PRT with all the big-wigs running around with you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya'll a bunch of posers especially you vegans and vegetarians.

The only way to truly be pure is to be a "Breathatarian"

quote:

Breatharianism is a related concept, in which believers claim food and possibly water are not necessary, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana (the vital life force in Hinduism), or, according to some, by the energy in sunlight (according to Ayurveda, sunlight is one of the main sources of prana). The terms breatharianism or inedia may also refer to this philosophy practised as a lifestyle in place of the usual diet.

It's how I maintain my swoleness. Then I do crossfit and do 60 deadlifts with absolutely terrible form. Then 150 power cleans with more poo poo form. The gains, bro!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 8, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

First Muay Thai class tonight.

:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've mentioned it before but I'm still real skeptical of crossfit. I'm not saying it doesn't make chicks hot (and dudes look normal) or kick your butt. But something about the total randomness of the workout sequence, the lack of some sort of standard amongst gym/teachers/whatever they call them. All that and the fact of doing intense compound lifts at high reps with poo poo form just for the sake of hitting a quota irks me. 45 deadlifts with improper form or whatever? I like my back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress crossfit more chicks need to play volleyball

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 6, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The only way you fail the Navy taping is if you're fat as gently caress. Make all the excuses you want about it being inaccurate or whatever. You're too swole or your abnormally sized neck. But I only ever see the huge fatties fail. Not just the gut dudes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No.

I hear stories about the crazy stims like oxyelite, jack3d, noxplode, etc. from what I gather they're just rumors and discouraged for use.....for now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You should be using the flattest sole possible to squat. I know you guys get all snippy when Vibram elitist act....themselves. But they're really great to squat in. More support is worse for you. I've seen dudes do it barefoot.

You might feel like a douchebag but this is better than your $200 new balance

That being said. Nothing wrong with a 2.5 lb plate under your heels.

Otherwise you might be leaning too far forward. I have a bum ankle and lost a lot of flexion and don't have troubles.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Godholio posted:

I like all-stars. :mad:

I'm just saying a lot of people probably think dudes working out in those are douches when they're actually better for lifting than their fancy running shoes.

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

Doing squats sucks and it's hard to get the technique down. You're absolutely miserable during the set and almost pass out when you're done. But obviously once you get past that you feel amazing. Watch some youtube videos of people doing it PROPERLY.

Here's just a couple tips to keep in mind while squatting. Seriously, run some of these through your head and you'll literally feel the difference instantly.

*Feet roughly shoulder width apart
*Toes pointed just slightly outward
*DO NOT LOOK UP. Common mistake. Always look straight
*Back flat
*Drive your hips forward. This is probably the most important thing in squatting.
*Imagine your standing on a towell and while driving up you're trying to rip the towell in half with your feet
*Don't flare your elbows out
*Keep your breathing in mind. Once you get your breaths backwards it'll really mess yo up. (in on the way down, out on the way up)
*ATG! (rear end TO GRASS) You want to touch your hamstrings to your calves. Or as deep as you can. None of this "stop at parellel" bullshit you learned in High School. (note a lot of people will probably disagree with this, go google for yourself)
*Do not bounce up
*imaging your squatting to take a poo poo out in the woods. Butt way down. I've been told your knee cap shouldn't go past your toes when squatting but I've also heard that it doesn't matter. Not 100% sure.

oh and this

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm telling you man. It's the little things in compound lifts that determine if you're going push more weight and possibly injure yourself. They're just so tiring you forget the basics. Just remember to breathe and run all that poo poo I posted through your head.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:eyepop:

I suck at push-ups. Always have. But I've always been pretty good at pull-ups. Anyone use the perfect pushup extensively? I guess they have a V2 now.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-31001-V2-Pushup-Bar/dp/B008DNAJ5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358500082&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+pushup

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

The worst part about not lifting in forever is how drat sore I am the first week or so. And then how bad I am at cardio now...

Squat/deadlift DOMS are the worst. Trying to shuffle up stairs and bend over.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

I really need to learn more about weight lifting. Pretty much my workout that isn't running sucks and consists of sets of diamond push-ups, rowers, pull-ups, various plank holds along with a few random dumbbell excercises. I don't care about being swole, my only interest is overall fitness (strength, injury prevention, not being fat) and doing better on the APFT.

Also for HIIT, how do you gauge effectiveness? I use a HRM and my HR during fast intervals is > 175, sometimes up to 190ish which is above 85% for my age. Since it's cold and icy outside I've been setting the treadmill to 10% incline and running at 8-9 mph (which is the equivalent of running a much faster pace on level ground, 5-6 minute mile AFAIK) for 30 seconds and walking for 1 minute. After the first 3 repetitions I'm feeling pretty lovely.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

vacation in kabul posted:

edit: Or do that thing Christoff posted, looks like a basic HS football strength training program (which isn't a bad thing).

It's called "Starting Strength" and is probably one of the most popular (well known but not like crossfit) introductory lifting programs. It provides a great foundation for whatever your goals are and teaches you the fundamentals and basics of achieving results and proper technique.

There's a popular "modified" version that's floating around. Pretty sure there's a thread about it in the fitness forum.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

So I started stripped 5x5 yesterday. Any suggestions on iPhone apps for keeping track of lifts?

Check out "Strong" it's the best one without all the bs IMO. I think its $1?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Guys seriously try the "Strong" fitness app if you hate all that other bs

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if you guys want hot fitness chicks

http://sweatingmyassoff.tumblr.com/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ashmole posted:

I feel like my other lifts are going up, but my bench sucks. What are some options to break the plateau?

reset weight?

rack lock outs? Which I assume is what ^ was talking about Idk if this is good form or not but yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmyVQVMcVS4

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Or do dumbbell bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you guys are looking for another solid all around program besides 5x5/starting strength that gives you a lot of flexibility then try WS4SB

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html