Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

If you're a Marine or wannabe debil dawg, and you struggle with pull-ups, then you need to check out the Armstrong Pull-up Program This program works very well for most people. Don't use bands either. 4 weeks before I went to boot camp I could barely do 5. I did this program for 4 weeks and got 12 on my IST in MCRD San Diego. I wasn't even doing the push-up portion.

If you can do a decent amount of pull-ups already (15+) another way to get them up without doing pull-ups 5x days a week is to do heavy bicep curls and lat pull-downs 1-2x times a week and do 3-6 sets of 4-8 reps of pull-ups at the very end of your workout.

Do you really find curls and lat pulldowns help chin/pullup numbers? I find they're terrible and adding weight to chins and pullups is best by a mile

For reference I could do 3 sets of 12 chins at 230 lbs, used 25-45 lb weights at 6-8 reps to get better for the most part. Lat pulldowns seemed quite useless and maybe curls helped but I dont really know

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

That's how I finally managed to break the 20 pull-up barrier (from 17 reps to 23) and did it pretty quickly. I still would do body weight pull-ups at the end of my workout.

The gym I went to at the time did not have anything I could use to comfortably do weighted pull-ups. Now I do weighted pull-ups with a vest instead of lat pull-downs and do curls after. Either one will work.

Totes jelly of having a weighted vest :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
edit: nevermind :)

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Pinuyasha posted:

I started at not even being able to do 1 around the beginning of 2011 and it took most of the entire year to get to that point. Hard work does pay off eventually, but drat does it hurt.

My biggest mistake was following a low carb diet, which put a screeching halt to most of my gains for a long time. 3 months of straight lifting without a single pound of gain despite being an absolute beginner and following the 5x5 routine should've told me something sooner. And I know calories wasn't an issue, because I ate loads of bacon, eggs, and more eggs the entire time. Followed by topping it off with more bacon. Makes me want to bring Dr. Atkins back to life so I can deck him in the face. I guess there's still Gary Taubes.

Nooooooo you quoted it :(

But seriously 135 is drat low unless youre like 5 nothing is all Im saying. I dont know about unhealithy low or anything but still crazy low. And yeah low carb sucks and makes you loving miserable, also I dont care what some people in w&w say, it cant be healthy to eat that much saturated fat in everything. Complex carbs rule anyways

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Christoff posted:

Change your socks and hydrate

The best sick call corpsman

Also cold pack

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

I've noticed that having two beers roughly 2-3 nights during my week has helped me from drinking crazy amounts of booze during the weekend.

This but with 10-12

:smith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

Maybe I should just get a scrip for anabolic steroids or HGH. How bad is a cycle of steroids for you, again?

Just test isn't really bad for you at all. Orals are much worse for you because your liver has to process them. If its just hormone therapy you don't have to worry about poo poo like PCT after a cycle because hormone therapy poo poo is basically for life

Honestly if I did a cycle of test I'd be more worried about properly injecting/having a good source/cleanliness than the actual testosterone itself. HGH I have no idea because its loving expensive and before made synthetically it was literally stolen from dead people

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

Testosterone can be dangerous if you don't cycle correctly. You get a lot of bad side effects from the use of testosterone, however many things such as shrunken testicles, and back acne can resolve on their own. However, bitch tits and severely increased hair growth can be permanent.

I wanna take test so my 90% beard will fill out :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

pro hormones aren't all that great, unless you take a huge load of them. All they do is de-methylate the compound and sell it. the bioavailability after metabolism I believe is like 10-20% potency of the actual steroid.

I've heard people say they got small-ish gains from pro hormones that were similar to deca durabolin, but once you got off the "cycle" he lost pretty much any strength that he gained from it.

depends

if you live through 4 weeks of mdrol get back to me(though i'll never do it again it was god drat AWFUL)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I find front squats pretty painful but maybe I just cradle the bar wrong. I like back squats because I can move more weigh vov

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

Is it resting on your deltoids? If you don't seat it properly when you first pick it up then it can ride a bit too low and sit on your clavicle, which is painful.

Yeah but I just don't like them in general, they murder your quads though I'll give em that. I also feel back squatting helps deadlifting way more and don't really care how big my quads are for the most part

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
pussy

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Crazy Mike posted:

I totally lost my deadlift. Could not lift 275 more than two reps today. Kill me now.

Its cool bro i'm pretty civilian fat too so theres that

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I like what I call the leaky tire, when dudes hiss a fuckload and cant just breathe normally

also no poo poo tonight this group of 3 guys were taking off their shirts and taking cell phone pics of each other in the middle of the dumbbell area 0_o

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

whats your fran time

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
People pay like 200+ bucks a month to crossfit in some places lol I guess its prolly the same crackers that pay like 75 bucks to run a 5k through the mud though

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I'd ask in YLLS but I don't feel like being called a retard for not reading a 125 page thread. When I squat, I can't keep my heels on the floor around the point that my thighs are getting parallel to the deck.* I can squat if I put my heels on small weights but I'd like to be flexible enough to not need to do so. I also don't want to buy special shoes in order to squat. What should I do to improve my flexibility?

*intentional use of naval terminology

it sounds like you lean way too far foreward towards the bottom, it isnt really terrible to use some small plates over your heels tough, works the quads more. it took me a long time and massive amounts of youtube spergin but the thing that finally made squats click for me was being told to break at your hips, not your knees. maybe itll help another goon out there some fateful day~

also before squats to stretch i get in the deepest squat stance i can manage and hold it for 20 seconds, really loosens me up ;)

converse are gay and dumb

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
basically the first motion of a squat shouldnt be to bend your knees, but your hips/waist/we the gently caress its called, this keeps my knees from shooting forward and keeps my torso straighter, thus the weight will be felt further back on ur feet. if that makes sense

the bar youre talking abt is called a safety squat bar iiirc, they own i wish i knew a gym that had one

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
rear end to grass only and not looking up are pretty dumb tbh

Idk what the gently caress you mean by high school coaches or whatever because pretty much the standard for a proper squat is parallel

most idiots in the gym do 1/4 or 1/2 of that which is dumb

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 16, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vacation in merica posted:

Looking up is likely to help your form, but it's not really necessary to do it forever once you got like muscle memory or whatever.

Yea but his tips or w/e said never look up only straight, im saying it doesnt matter

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnymnemonic2

This guys series is prolly my favorite

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

Bro...wow...thanks for the stunning insight into building one's calf muscles. Mind=blown.

tbqh i dont ever do calves bc the size gain is not worth all the effort it takes :|

easiest way to get swole calves: get super fat and walk a lot

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I read on some body building blog you have to do sets of 50 or something ridiculous.

or do roids or synthol or whatever.

Yeah i mean just my own experience calves take way too much for what you get out of it. Not joking about the formerly fat people have awesome calves thing either its ridiculous

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Not tryin to be a dick but why even care about calves? Seriously do girls find them hot im out of the loop *inhales cheeto*

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

vacation in merica posted:

One of the hottest chicks I ever met was in love with calves. She gave mine a 7.9 and I only got an HJ. So yah calves are pretty important.

Just reminds me of johnnny drama on entourage, i dunno sluts love sexy arms and stuff but calves seem unimportant

*loads animes*

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

curls get gurls bro.

I don't know. I don't even like wearing shorts that much and I don't really know how important calves are for big lifts like deadlifting or squats.

for lifts? not important in the slightest. theyre the most glamour muscle there is tbh

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head since then.

Oh well, I just wanted to bro out and talk about lifting weights so mission accomplished.

haha oh deathy(love u bro)

but yeah calves don't matter man unless youre a bodybuilder or some poo poo

i mean if you enjoy it go for it but really youll do them for a long time and realize not much is happening, its true for most people

but srsly i hosed up my back i can barely walk im real mad

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I cant imagine how bad the chafing is :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I don't have any real shoulder issues. I'd just like to give them a rest from barbell benching for a few weeks. I think I'd prefer to do dumbbell exercises over barbell and incline over flat.

I do dips at the end of chest/tris day since they work out both.

neutral grip db benching? i havent done them in forever but they're easier on your shoulders iirc

Really not many good compound chest lifts that don't involve shoulders to some degree

my chest day is pretty simple and i've never had shoulder issues but 3 of them stress your shoulders decently

flat bb bench
incline db bench
dips
skullcrushers

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
yeah theyre a triceps thing but i still throw them in @ the end

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
If you're fairly week upper and lower days can be pretty sweet, can do a ton of compound lifts in one session

I hurt my back so I only do 3 days a week right now :smith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Some epic fails in there mate

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
bench in a power cage(if your gym is ungay enough to have one)!!!!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Did you buy one of the sick Operator 400 dollar backpacks???

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

I got one of the OFFICIAL GORUCK GR1 bags and regret it.

cmon deathy :smith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

ahahahah what a ripoff. You paid $400 for a $50 PX daypack.

This pack is $400 and worth every penny.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/satl-assault-pack

its "only" 300 my figure was a bit inflated ;)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Deathy McDeath posted:

Where are you getting 400$ from? The GR1 is 300$ normally but they take 30% off if you buy it when you register for a challenge. Still wasn't worth 200$, though. I will say that, internally, its really well designed and protects your back from getting roughed up. The straps are okay. Everything else is fine.

my made up number probably heh

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I wear a sleek sexy jan sport i got at academy, its pretty tactical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

xwonderboyx posted:

Obviously I have a huge hardon for this company, but they do have lifetime free repairs on their bags. I have a few friends who had the zipper break or have some fabric tears and all they had to do was pay to ship it to the company and have it repaired for free.

Then again, I make fat contractor stacks so this poo poo doesn't bother me.

Sounds like they're quality made. Heh.

What I'm saying is for 300 bucks you probably shouldn't know multiple people who have already broken them if they were worth that much ;)