Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

In a lovely hotel right now in Vietnam and all I have for work out equipment is the 24 KG kettle bell, 16KG kettle bell, 10 lbs and 20 lbs slam ball I brought along. My E5 should be bringing along the bowflex dumbbell that goes up to 90 lbs and the dip bars when he comes.

Trying to figure out a PT plan for myself because all the teams coming back from our missions got a PT test the week after we get back.

I figure if I can do 15minutes of air squats I can run my 2 miles in 15minutes right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

PT test 2 loving days after my 45 day mission to Nam.

This is going to be awesome. My last PT test I went down 20 points from the 280 I usually score. Did the max max and holy poo poo I almost failed my run. Picked up smoking for this mission and did absolutely no cardio since my last PT test so let's see how horrible I'll do for this one.

But then again my last PT test was right after a mission as well where I smoked and didn't do any cardio besides walk up a miserable mountain to reach our truck to do a resupply.

On brighter note, thanks to a local gym by my hotel I did pack on 5pounds since I been here. gently caress yeah! I got to get taped now! 31 inch waist, 15 inch neck. Super excited about getting taped.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Vietnam and gained about 10 pounds over there. gently caress yeah! Bulked up nicely but lost my 6 along the way.

Got a PT test as soon as I'm off my month of leave so my goal right now is max-max-relax because I hate to do cardio and to be atleast 180 for my weigh in so I can get taped.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Martello posted:

Holy gently caress how true this is. First run since going on leave today, not as bad as I expected despite the weather. I decided it was a good idea to go out in 10-15 degrees with shorts, a jacket, hat and gloves. My legs were cold as gently caress until the end of the first mile, when they went numb so it was all good I guess. The road was icy as gently caress and barely anyone else was running and certainly not in shorts.

fortdrum.txt

I did insanity bro and let me tell you. It kicks your rear end.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

You gotta do pull ups to get better at pull ups. They're a real bitch to get decent at and stay there.

I don't know. I never do pull ups and just do wide arm lat pull downs, close arm lat pull ups, reverse grip lat pull downs and when I had a pull up competition with a few marines I did about 17. And they said the reason why I smoked myself at 17 was because I went too slow. So lat pull downs does help.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 8, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

This week is all crossfit for unit PT. SO loving GAY. I hate crossfit with a loving passion.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Laos and managed to get into amazing shape over there.

That was the gym my team and I had to work with for about 35 days.

Did a body builder routine while I was over there and managed to cut up pretty good. Only problem is I did not do any cardio (in the last 4-5 months I ran twice. Maybe?) because I hate it with a passion and worried about my upcoming PT test this Thursday. While I know I won't fail I know I'm going to barely pass due to not knowing my pace, the lack of cardio in Laos (My only form of cardio was the fact I took 30second breaks between each rep and exercises and about 2 hours of actual digging a day in the 90+ degree temperature in dry season in Laos.) Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much.

I think I'm going to do the same work out after this PT test. Trying to just look extremely ripped and cut up so lots of isolation, moderate weight and high reps. Adding some cardio into my routine so I won't have to freak out every time a PT test happens. Thinking about doing cardio twice a week and just do 400 to 600 meter sprints 8 to 12 times on the track and calling it a day.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

The Notes app

This!!!
That's what I use for my work outs. Blast internet radio, get my timer up for my 45second rest breaks, and get notes to record my poo poo with my prewritten work out.

My APFT was a failure. My friend and I who both just came back from mission did about the same (He's a better runner than me and way stronger. But I'm smaller and leaner.) I did 76pu, 68su, 16:18 on my run. He did 73pu, 74su, 16:00 run.

Still sore from doing legs earlier this week, did chest but i don't think it made me too sore nor did back. Skipped out on arms last night because I wasn't sure how I was going to do and went to Hooters for all you can eat wings night instead with my team before they go back to their home base. I went down about 20 points since my last PT test but not too bad considering I came back from a 2 month mission this weekend still heavily jet lagged and with no cardio. Now I can start on my work out routine. Doing a body builder work out right now and finally can do legs properly with the right equipment. Adding sprints 3x a week so I can get my run down to the low to mid 14's.

Gotta do a PT plan for my team for next month. Thinking about doing that LTC's strength training for his cadets. Does anyone still have that link?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

I dunno about a link but I saved the PDF to my desktop when I read it. I can email it to you if you want.

So now that I'm doing stripped 5x5, would it be bad to also do sets of rowers/sit-ups and plank exercises afterwards to further workout my abs/core? Also sprints/HIIT after lifting Y/N?

can you email it to me?

wilson.ly @ gmail.com

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

So rear end pics of females you say? Signing up.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Martello posted:

How old are you? I thought you were 27 or so? That would put you at a 252. Not good at all, but not failing.

Not failing but it's still a poo poo score. My next record PT test is this june about a week or two after I come back from another recovery mission so I got a few months to get my run down to a 14:30 and hope my run time doesn't go down more than a minute. I swear my 1SG does this on purpose sometimes. Making the teams do PT test right after missions.

DoktorLoken posted:

So now that I'm doing stripped 5x5, would it be bad to also do sets of rowers/sit-ups and plank exercises afterwards to further workout my abs/core? Also sprints/HIIT after lifting Y/N?

How do you have energy to do sprints/HIIT after lifting?! I'm usually worn out and ready to go home and take a shower and lay around all night! When I do cardio (hardly ever) I usually just do it in the mornings before I go in for work and then hit the gym later the day during lunch or in the evenings.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I feel like my other lifts are going up, but my bench sucks. What are some options to break the plateau?

Do crossfit.

Today is an off day but I feel fat and gross from drinking a bottle of vodka and cranberry. Off to the gym to do some cardio I guess.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

a person wants to lift More Weight and you recommend crossfit? lol

You see, CrossFit makes you a total athlete. Yes he might be able to bench 300 pounds a few times. But can he do 45pounds a 100 times?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm not being serious. It was just something the owner of CrossFit Oahu said to a bunch of JPAC guys when our old Detachment Commander use to send us to a CrossFit train the trainer type class that ran a thousand something per person.

"You see a power lifter can dead lift 600 pounds. But I bet a CrossFitter can do 135 pounds 200 times and the power lifter can't! It's because we're an all around better athletes!"

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Wed is mandatory CROSSFIT WEDNESDAYS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7fBtj81c

When it's my turn to run the unit WOD I'm going to seriously make them to kipping push ups, kipping sit ups off the ball, and kipping squats. It will be EPIC because we make fun of the Navy for their stupid work outs. I think at one point they did Tae Bo on the field. Or was it p90x's cardio thing? Whatever it was, it looked silly.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 6, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

Are we not supposed to take PT tests with proscription strength antiinflammatories and caffeine pills? Oops.

How did you do? Because that sounds kinda AWESOME.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Been on a strict diet of fish/veggies or chicken/veggies 4 times a day, taking in about 120g of protein from shakes throughout the day and doing a body builder routine. Trying to get as big as possible so I have to get taped my next PT test and getting a 8% body fat thing on the army tape test. I'm about 8 pounds away and probably going to fail my run. But gently caress it. YOLO right?

I did up my cardio from never doing it to twice a week of 30/60's. Hopefully I get a 15 minute mile and that'll be my 70 bringing me to a 270 on my PT test. If only my next unit PT test isn't when I return from a 40 day loving mission where I won't do cardio and have a poo poo diet of mountain house meals and whatever the gently caress the locals in my village is serving.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 9, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I meant 2 mile.

And I did my first mud run. It is in fun alot like basic training. In the sense that both were extremely gay.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I've got a pretty wide chest, I do well on push-ups, and I can lift a lot on a machine but my bench just loving sucks. I think it's either ne being a pussy or I have bad stabilizer muscles. Are there any exercises that target the stabilizers exclusively or should I man up and just do low weight bench presses?

Stop doing the machine. More dumbbell bench and barbell bench.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 20, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Manmower posted:

How does CrossFit compare to a program like p90x? p90x currently seems pretty convenient for me as I can do it at home, but the cardio seems a bit light. Currently supplementing it with lots of running on the side and it seems to do the trick. From what I've heard being able to run fast and often is the most useful skill in the military, but this advice is coming from folks who don't exactly look like they do a lot of cardio.

Also I drank skim milk growing up as a kid =P

P.S. Another vote for dumbbells, they are great.

P90X is the biggest waste of time ever if you're in decent shape. If you're a giant fat lard of a waste of space, then yes it's awesome. I personally hate CrossFit but it's great for some HIIT and cutting down. I do it once a week because I'm doing the CF body building routine right now and it turns my off day on Wed into a HIIT day.

And hammer strength machines are AMAZING!!!! I stopped doing barbell and dumbbells and starting to cut with the CF body building routine. Just use the iso machines and my chest/shoulders/back are looking amazing because of those machines.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Manmower posted:

So CrossFit is more of a social outing, likely on par with a Yoga class with guidos. I just picked up p90x because some Navy folks mentioned it as a good tool and I have always been of the mindset that fitness programs are to get fit, rather than show off. I was lifting 3 times a week and running before this, so I think the fact that I do any exercise will give me a leg up. I like your delivery style Godholio =).

The only people who saids insanity or P90x is a good tool for fitness is people who don't work out/eat healthy to begin with. It's great if you're a couch potato, but not if you're in decent shape. Weight lifting and sprints is all a man needs.

I just rediscovered the row machine and remembered why I love it so much. That thing is amazing.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Anyone got a good pull up program? I want to be able to do a billion pull ups. Right now I can currently do about 20ish max (Palms in. Palms out about 16). When I add that into my work out, it's usually a AMRAP kinda work out. I gun for 15 reps for 5 sets. But it ends up being 15-10-6-4-2 with palms outwards. Started using the assisted pull up machine so I can get 10 good ones in per set but I don't know if that's hurting my pull ups or helping improve it.

EDIT: I only do pull ups once a week. I probably should start adding it in after I do my morning cardio.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 22, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Looking at old pics of my time in Germany and holy poo poo I was a fat body.

I was 174 in that first picture. 169 right now. Not much of a change weight wise. But my waist was 38 in the first pic. 31 now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yes. Someone took a picture of me pissing.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

You can't piss straight when it's a hang over piss from booze infused marathon raving in some abandoned warehouse in Bulgaria where the locals who never seen Americans or foreigners in their bumfuck town. (Went to Bulgaria to party at my ex wife's village. It was epic. Went with a group of friends and one dude disappeared for 5days. We were about to ditch him and fly home without him.)

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 23, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I bet most everyone on GiP has a picture of themselves pissing somewhere overseas.

I cut out the dead bodies of hookers I raped and killed that I was peeing on.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

left is deployment after I dropped about 30 pounds. Still a fat body. Right is burry as poo poo, but it was after my deployment R&R weighing in at exactly the same weight, about 170. You can tell the difference in waist/cut. I don't really have any pictures of myself shirtless prior to that, because I deleted every single one of them.

When I first arrived in Germany I wore medium pants with the top button undone for a little bit. Now small is just a tad too tight, but mediums is way too loose.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I got hemorrhoids and it hurts to squat. It feels like my rear end in a top hat is going to burst out and spill onto the floor when I do rear end to grass.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Gross. How'd you manage to get them? Squatting?

No, I changed my diet and not taking in enough fiber I guess so it came back when I took a massive poo poo. I go light when I do squats. Naturally have thunder thighs, can't be getting them any bigger or I'll never be able to fit into jeans again.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Doesn't it suck? They don't make anything for us. Underarmour boxer briefs are so amazing, but not designed for our massive thighs, so it just ends up riding up after a few hours.

Same thing with boxer briefs, the elastic just gets all loose within a few hours and then those things ride up too.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Holocaust bloopers and I are denim snobs.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

It's 2am and I can't sleep. Shouldn't have taken 2 scoops of C4 to get my pump on at 10pm. FML.

Going back on mission in a bit. It'll be jailhouse kind of gym again. What are some good back exercises to substitute lat pull downs with? Besides pull ups?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

CROSSfIT!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQnHOXyqEg

So I learned to keep my opinions about CrossFit to myself when doing it with officers who are all about it on UNIT CROSSFIT WEDNESDAY

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

They need to make pants so people can see the fire growing in my loins as soon as I walk through the front door of the gym.

You/re welcome
http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=NAKE-MJ89&c=Naked+%26+Famous+Denim&d=d

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I don't do enough and I can't get the 6 pack of my dreams.

Forever bulk.

Bulked up quite a bit to 180 from the 168 I was a few months back and now trying to cut. Jesus Christ it's miserable. Attempting to eat as healthy as possible really loving sucks. If I eat another piece of fish I think I will puke. Thank god I have a mission coming up soon. Atleast digging for a few hours a day + lifting at night will lean me up.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 17, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

If a red panda can do a strict pull up, so can you. Kipping is for assholes.

The kipping pullup has many benefits over the dead hang/strict pullup.

Firstly, one can generate more power in the kipping pullup. Power is Force multiplied by distance over time. (Power = Force*Distance/Time). You can generate more power because the amount of force being used is greater, you are going over the same (or more distance) in much less time rep for rep.

In training, power is directly correlated to strength increases. In fact, it is the metric that is MOST correlated to the rate of strength increases over time. That means if you train kipping pullups you will gain more strength faster than if you do deadhangs. If you train kippings, your dead hang max will increase as well as your kipping max. If you train dead hangs then your dead hang max will increase but your kippings will sorely lag behind them. That means that u can brag to your bodybuilding friends that you can do more pullups than them...both ways...even if they say ur kipping pullup is "cheating"

Secondly, kipping trains multiple movements, whereas dead hangs only train a pulling movement. Kipping pullups, when done properly, will train hip flexion and extension which is crucial to life, especially parkour. Mostly, the kip will train your hip extensions and get your hip extensions in much better coordination with the rest of your body to generate the most amount of force needed in key movements like kip ups, dash vaults, vertical leaps, flight from an underbar, etc. Examine your moves in parkour on video and oyu will see that many of them involve an explosive hip extension that is trained rigorously through kipping pullups. Strict/dead hangs simply do not provide this benefit.

I could probably write a volume on the benefit of kips over dead hangs, but i think that you have a good idea of what the main beneifts are. If you want to do dead hangs, you should try L-sit pullups. Maintain an L-sit and perform the pullup, you will find that this is much more difficult as whole muscle groups are deactivated when they are used to hold your legs in L-sit position. It gives a good isometric workout just as a L-sit hang would, plus adds the benefit of isolated back workouts.

I would train kipping pullups above all else, and work in L-sit pullups and dead hangs just once in a while.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

CrossFit is gay. I got that from some douche at a CrossFit™ forum.

When I'm forced to do unit crossfit Wednesday I wear girl shorts and a Pug face shirt. I got my shorts in Thailand at the lady boy section and hike them up as far as they will go when I crossfit in them. The ladies all want me. I even had sailors whistle and do cat calls when I crossfit pass them. They're so gay.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2013

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

I think I have half of a tub of the original Jack3d left. Currently selling for $250 OBO.

$100 broski

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I know a guy doing D-bol. He refuses to lift while on it because he has bad shoulders and does crossfit instead. It makes no sense to me. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

APFT a few weeks after I get back from mission. At least this time the unit was nice enough to give me more than a few days and an advance warning before my PT test. My last one I scored a 250ish 3days after I arrived back in garrison and had a day warning after I did legs the night I came back, and chest the day after. 80 push ups, 65 sit ups, and a 16:20 run. Went down on my sit up and run but not too bad considering the circumstances.

I haven't done any sort of cardio this mission. Just been digging holes for a hour or two a day and lifting weights after work to maintain. When I get back I need to get into a cardio heavy routine. I'm thinking of just doing 30/60's 3x a week and doing a hour of some low impact cardio before I lift. That should get me ready within 4-5 weeks right? Hopefully to get my score back up to 270+.