Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ocrumsprug posted:

The combat is brutal, and honestly you don't do the IP justice if you softball it too much. When you are running something, you will probably have a number of fights over a few sessions until you end in the confrontation with the big bad. The players should have enough Fate Points to cover them for any potential fatalities that may happen here.

High Rank combat (at least in Rogue Trader) against a powerful foe is TERRIFYING. However you feel :black101: as gently caress when you win.

Nothing like fighting a Renegade Astartes with a mutated blade arm or Ork MegaNob with a power klaw in melee combat, knowing that even one hit from them will probably gently caress you up into criticals. Ag51+Dodge+20 and Refractor field dont' fail me now, these are the fights I live for. :v: And then the Renegade Space Marine pulls off an expertly rolled disarm and yanks the Thunderhammer out of your hand. :gonk:

Besides, who hasn't lost a limb to the crackling arc of an Eldar Banshee Exarch's power glaive? :gibs:

I love Rogue Trader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure bits of the Imperium turn on each other without Chaos being involved all the time. Two groups disagree on what the proper loyal course is in a situation, and welp.

Rogue Traders for example.

I've got at least 3 other Rogue Traders that would love to see me dead, and only one of them I think is dabbling with the Ruinous powers. One might've been a slaugth though, or that might've been just an impersonator and the real one is back in Calixis.

Speaking of the Slaugth, my GM was a bastard and introduced them as a big custom complication to the Frozen Reaches published adventure. They've caused us no end of trouble and have nearly killed pretty much every party member at least once. I loving LOVE IT. I am a pretty knowledgeable 40k guy, and I find it delicious to have an enemy that definitely feels 40k, but that I have absolutely no clue what its capabilities are, in character or out of character. I have no idea how much my GM is getting from the supplements (I usually don't read them, unless its full of toys for me) and how much he is making up.

Every single encounter with theses things has been :gonk: to the max.

Corrosive maggot xenos with completely unknown but undoubtedly sinister motives that can impersonate humans, just touching them is deadly, and they apparently have energy weapons capable of disintegrating the majority of my Engineseer Prime's massive armored torso in a single blast (he's stuck his brain box onto his combat servitor until he can restore his body).

I have no idea what the gently caress these things want or what they're capable of, they scare the poo poo out of me in combat, and I loving love it. :black101:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The higher up you get in the Mechanicus the more the mystical :techno: is replaced by genuine :science: (though still with a healthy dose of rhetoric and STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM X, Y, and Z)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I enjoy making overly fancy and corny names for Battlefleet ships.

Aegis of the Pious
Blade of Victory
Deliverance of Faith
Destroyer of All His Enemies
Agent of His Will

etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My Rogue Trader GM is the best GM and I am coming in here purely to brag. What makes him so awesome? Well besides running a fun as poo poo game, he decided to go and have portraits of our characters made:

Lord Captain Ododcavar
"The only man foolish enough to mistake being a Rogue Trader for a Noble Calling"

Seneschal Atellus
Master of Commerce and behind the scenes intrigue. Dabbles in Tek-Heresy.

Navigator Antigone
Immature hyper-optimist, never wears shoes.

Explorator Gracchus
Apathetic Walking Tank and technological genius, on his third body now.

Seneschal Lucius
This man should've been an Arch-Militant, he prefers guns and commando wetworks to paperwork and trade meetings.

My GM is the best GM. Apparently he's commissioning at least a couple more pieces of art as well, depicting some of our "greatest moments". :allears:

Also, yeah, Slaugth are pure bullshit, I was nearly killed by one when it got the surprise on me, only a desperate move that accidentally injured most of the rest of the party allowed me to kill it. Even then I had to be rushed back to the ship for emergency medical treatment as the Slaugth's toxins ate through the back of my armor into my spine, threatening paralysis (Thank the Emperor our Explorator is a medical genius in addition to his mechanical talents).

That said I love them, as a long-time 40k fan I know almost nothing about them! Its so awesome to have an insidious threat so utterly-alien in mentality. I mean OOC I know all about Eldar, Ork, Tau, Chaos, etc etc. Slaugth though? poo poo I know zilch, it took us a while to realize they showed up as nulls... until a big nasty one didn't. :gonk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys use miniatures in your games? If so which one? Any recommendations for a Seneschal?

My group, being IRC doesn't obviously*, however, what kind of character style did you have in mind, and are you looking for GW minis or potentially elsewhere?

* Though I did make Minis of the Deathwatch Demo game pregens once upon a time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MaliciousOnion posted:

This is the only GW model I could find that's Rogue Trader-ish.

I've seen at least one really awesome conversion of Jerico there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, that makes my group look pretty mundane. :ohdear:

I guess we are, really. Though I'm possibly the only Rogue Trader in the universe who still believes in the original purpose/concept of Rogue Traders.

[edit] Oh that bloody bastard, I was just talking to him a couple hours ago and he didn't mentinon THIS:

Our near-crippled Light Cruiser, about to ram an Eldar Dragonship that ambushed us. I swore I was about TPK the whole party, but somehow through a monumental effort of assist actions we managed to hit the xenos ship and utterly devastate it, breaking her keel/spine, and barely took any damage ourself. :black101:

Would've preferred the moment of impact personally, but thats still awesome. Best GM. :3:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You rammed an Eldar starship and you were surprised when it broke apart like it was made of delicate china?

No, we were expecting our ship to break apart as well, since it was repeatedly gouged by puslar lances and blasted by Eldar Attack craft. Pretty much we decided if we were about to TPK, we were gonna make sure those Craftworld Eldar died alongside us. Then we rolled pathetic damage to our own ship in the ram (the Dragonship is the larger vessel and the ram should've hosed us up given how little hull points we had left).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Asehujiko posted:

Who the hell is that? Tineye says he's from a DH adventure.

Maccabian Janissary from the Shrine World Maccabius Quintus. They're apparently hardcore motherfuckers. That mask is an effigy of Saint Drusus too, if I recall.

FFG posted:

These regiments are raised from the arid planet of Maccabeus Quintus, a place of fierce and stoic people and iron-strong puritan faith in the Imperial Creed. The Conclave Calixis has oath bonds with the fifth Maccabian regiment and has called on the honour debts owed to them to procure the services of ten of the most resolute and effective soldiers in the sector, lead by two experienced NCOs. The Janissaries are tough and battle-hardened men and women who are bound by oaths made in seven shrines on Maccabeus Quintus. They see serving the Emperor’s will as a sacred duty and have a grim attitude; they are not given to frivolity or humour. They spend much of their time preparing for their mission, either performing combat drills or weapons maintenance, in prayer or studying information on the environment and situation of the station on Mara.”

From the teaser for the DH adventure they first appeared in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're hardcore fanatics, basically at the level of Krieg.

Kriegers and Janissaries both have the "Only One Life to Give" trait which says they have to roll a Willpower+10 test in order to retreat, "or otherwise act in the interests of self-preservation".

Grenade gets thrown into the Trench? The Krieger or the Jannisary jumps on top of it without hesitation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Asehujiko posted:

What do they have to differentiate themselves from Krieg then if they share traits? They seem like they'll get snowed under if they share similarities with something orders of magnitude more popular than them.

That is only one of the traits of Kriegers and the Janissaries, their other traits are pretty different from eachother.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey that case of 144 packs of Lhos might as well be a suitcase of gold bars in a warzone if its anything like WWII. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've decided that if I ever play Only War, it will be as a Gentle-Giant Ogryn with a good BS and I'll try to get my hands on an Autocannon with red-dot sight (that should be simple enough for an Ogryn to use, right? "Put glowy-thing over bad-person and pull trigger"), then get someone smarter to customize it with a Custom Grip and Modified Stock.

+5 BS (custom grip), +10 Single Shot, +12 Half-aim, +10 Red Dot Sight +10 Short range (150m short range!) = "Sniper" Ogryn putting 3d10+8 Pen 6 autocannon shells downrange. Who neds Ratlings? :golgo:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The ability specifically says "Rounds" so it is only active during structured time, which is almost exclusively during combat. Though really if they're being jerks and begging for a bonus on every test, just tell them to shut the hell up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've been doing some musing on a one-shot or short campaign based on an Armoured Regiment and I've made an observations regarding vehicles, Tanks are stupidly durable.

The Vanquisher Cannon, which in the fluff is one of the Guard's Premier tank-killer cannons with a "high first-hit kill ratio" can barely scratch a basic Leman Russ' front armor.

The Leman Russ has 45/35/25 Armor and 70 structural Integrity Points (vehicle wounds basically). The Vanquisher Cannon 3d10+5 X Pen 16, Accurate. Thus a hit to the front armor with a Max damage roll will deal only 6 Structural integrity points (35 damage - 29 armor (45-16)) or a whopping 8.5% of the Russ' SI. Ignoring Righteous Fury it would take a full dozen max-damage hits to put another Leman Russ into critical damage. I know Tanks should be hard to kill on the front armor, but that is a bit ridiculous when in the tabletop, the same cannon has a very good chance of knocking out a Russ in a single hit even to the front.

Obviously an RPG shouldn't be quite that lethal, but that Vanquisher cannon should have a decent chance to take out a good chunk of the Russ' SI in a single hit even to the front armor.

Comparatively the standard Russ' Battle Cannon is 3d10+10 X Pen 8, Blast (10), Concussive (3), meaning it will only do 3 SI damage on a max damage roll to the front armor. Its actually more effective to aim BEHIND an enemy tank and use the Blast radius to strike the rear armor. Feels kinda cheesey to me.

"Anti-Tank" rounds are available for both guns, but all they do is change the penetration to 12 (a downgrade for the Vanquisher!) and thus don't change the Battle Cannon's Blast rating at all. They're also a bit hard to get at Very Rare availability, which is a -20 to logistics test to try to get them even when there are multiple Regiments deployed to the region. Given if you're playing an Armoured Regiment game you're likely to face enemy tanks, this is a bit rough.

As it is, the most reliable Anti-Tank weapon right now is the LasCannon, which is 5d10+10 Pen 10, Proven(3), which on a Max Damage Roll to the front armor of a Russ will do a respectable 25 structural integrity, on a MAX hit. On an average hit it will do 2-3 Structural integrity. Though regardless it has excellent odds of scoring a Righteous Fury. The Lascannon being so awesome is true to fluff, but the Vanquisher is arguably better at killing tanks and sucks compared to it.

A possible fix I can see would be increasing the Penetration score of the Vanquisher Cannon and changing Anti-Tank rounds to a bonus to Penetration but removes the Blast Score.

Alternatively, you could simply take the missile launcher approach and make the Vanquisher and Battle Cannon's damage and specialties depend on what kind of ammo is loaded into it, though that makes the artillery shells a bit less generic/one-size fits all.

Finally, I have a question regarding the Battle and Vanquisher Cannons. What are their clip size and reload times supposed to represent? Is the "clip" the number of shells kept in the turret near the gun breech? Is the reload time how long it takes to draw extra shells from the ammo store inside the tank's hull? As-is switching tank shell types on the fly (such as loading Anti-tank shells when your Russ suddenly stumbles across a Chaos Predator while slaughtering cultists) is extremely prohibitive when it should simply be a case of grabbing the couple of AT shells you keep near the gun "just in case" and tossing it in on the next shot while someone else pulls more from the Hull bins. In the fluff the Russ carries a total of 40 shells and the Russ Vanquisher 28. I'd personally like to see the "clip" size reduced to 1 and the load time changed to 1 Full (which is handled by the tank's loader each turn).

I see a lot of house rules in my future for all this if I do decide to do a Tanker One-shot/Mini-campaign.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hull Crit table:
1. Anyone not strapped down might be stunned for 1 round
2. -20 penalty to all actions until someone takes a round to stop a opaque gas leak
3. Anyone not strapped down might be stunned for 1d5 rounds
4. random crewmember takes 1d10+6 damage and a level of fatigue
5. Hit facing loses 1d10 Armor

Turret Crit table:
1. Turret crew stunned for 1 round
2. Weapon is jammed, must be cleared
3. -10 accuracy penalty to all turret weapons for 1d5 rounds
4. turret seizes up
5. turret loses electrical power

Motive System Crit table:
1. Driver must roll to avoid the vehicle changing direction randomly, gains fatigue level
2. may only move tactical speed next turn
3. motive system impared damage
4. vehicle may now stall out if it tries to go faster than tactical speed
5. vehicle temporarily goes out of control

Weapon System Crit Table:
1. Weapon's gunner stunned for 1 round
2. Weapon Jams and must be cleared
3. Weapon suffers -10 BS for 1d5 rounds
4. weapon seizes up and cannot be moved
5. weapon is disabled (but not destroyed)

A few of these might result in mobility or armament kills, but I don't like the idea of relying on them to take out an enemy vehicle. Maybe I'll do a test tank battle to see how things go.

That said, one of the best tank killers in the game is the humble Molotov Cocktail. The rules for vehicles being on fire are quite nasty. On a 10+ on a 1d10 something in the vehicle explodes and the vehicle takes 8 crit damage ignoring armor. You also add +1 to the roll each round, so after three rounds of being on fire you've got a 30% chance of something exploding. The crew takes -20 to all actions while the vehicle is on fire and its a Agility-20 test to put the fire out.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 28, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm not talking about infantry fighting tanks, I'm talking about tanks fighting tanks. Yes even then it should be hard to damage another tank shooting at it's front armor, but a max damage roll for a dedicated high-power Tank-killer cannon should do more than scratch a tank on front-armor hit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The rules for Accurate specify only Basic type weapons get that bonus damage for extra DoS.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How about if the Plasma Destroyer overheats the weapon gains the Weapon Disabled damage effect. Also if ]the Plasma Destroyer is ever disabled or destroyed the tank catches on fire as the plasma loses containment. That way the gun is knocked out and the tank has an increasing (but not quite instant) chance of exploding. Also give it the Extremely Volatile trait, to make it even more likely to explode. :supaburn:

That should encourage the crew to bail at the first sign of trouble.

If you want to be real mean, apply a penalty to put out the fire above the normal -20 Agility test.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Awww c'mon, you know you want a tank that has the potential to become a fiery deathtrap. It'll be fun!

I think the variant should still at least get the Extremely Volatile trait, even if the Plasma Destroyer can't "overheat". It is still carrying around one or more very large plasma flasks.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 29, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Vanquisher fix is decent, but there are still other anti-tank weapons that are thoroughly mediocre.

Also they took away meltaguns from weapon specialists, this amuses me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ogryn-Proof simply means the weapon can be used by an Ogryn. Ogryn's can't use most weapons because they are complicated and fragile (from an Ogryn's PoV) and they'd break them.

Currently there are 3 Ogryn-Proof ranged weapons.

Ripper gun, Heavy Stubber, M36 Autocannon

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, the Battle Cannon has the benefit of exploding everything in a 21m diameter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MaliciousOnion posted:

The extra two damage on the battle cannon might not look like much but it also has a vastly superior range and is Blast (10), Concussive (3). Not to mention the battle cannon is mounted on a tank.

Yeah, but with a quick-lick of house ruling, you can have a Leman Russ Exterminator, twin-linked autocannon tank! :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The hell is that? Someone's custom Leman Russ? I don't recognize it, but I'm not super familiar with Forge World vehicles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could always use the aptitude system from Only War (Beta).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The new Swift/Lightning Attack + Hordes can be so fun. Especially when you're using two swords.

The reaction of my RT group's GM when my Lord Captain dove into a pack of orks and blendered a dozen almost in one Lightning attack round of my power swords was great. Then again if I hadn't murdered most of them, they would've killed me in return given you can't dodge/parry horde attacks. High powered Rogue Trader combat is so terrible/awesome, its pretty much Do or Die. Its like Epic level D&D with level 1 hitpoints almost. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, at least with the new Righteous Fury version in Black Crusade/Only War they could've at least nibbled you to death. It would be unlikely, but vaguely possible.

My group are gonna start playing Only War for a few weeks starting this afternoon in a couple hours. We're playing a Drop Regiment who are going to be some of the first boots on the ground on a world that has gone silent(rebel?). We no idea what we're jumping into, if Command knows anything, they aren't telling us. All we've got are some exceptionally vague rumors of terrible things discovered by the Rogue Trader who investigated the planet's blackout.

Gonna be fun. :dance:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Young Freud posted:

Wait, I've seen this movie.

"Let's rock!" :black101:

Nope, just rebels/secessionists(?), however our female Heavy Weapons Guy didn't even try to hide it and named the character Vasquez. She's got a Missile Launcher right now, but I think she'd murder half the party for a Heavy Stubber with a Suspensor, Targeter, and Motion Predictor.

In other news, flamers are fun. Not Pictured: Two guys doing the burny dance :supaburn:, one of them a heavy armed with a Multilaser.

I just wish map-based combat didn't take so long on IRC.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I believe our GM is just using Paint.net, GIMP or a similar program and uploading it to his own hosting. We play on IRC.

We've been considering a move to some kind of map tools, especially if we keep the gridded combat (unlike RT where we usually didn't bother). However, none of us really have any experience with map tools.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pointed out Roll20 to my GM and he took a look. Liked it a lot better than map tools, but didn't like that you could only reveal fog of way in rectangle shapes (meaning revealing a large rounded area would be a huge pain) and that he couldn't figure out a way to rapidly change the background image.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The new codex, apparently they're more like tombkings in space or something now.

Not that FFG can do too much, I don't think they can make huge sweeping changes to the setting. Given All their games take place in the 810s.M41, well over a century before the perpetual "now" of the tabletop game, Necrons haven't even "officially" been encountered yet by the Imperium, so whatever happens in Death Watch stays small scale (relative to the Imperium) and gets hushed up quick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you've got the Only War beta rules, people have done house-ruled "Specialties" for the various Dark Heresy character types. Toss out keeping track of individual Scints/Thrones for a version of the Profit Factor/Honor/Infamy/Logistics mechanic and you'd be good to go.

I really like how across various versions they've slowly condensed the skill lists down to something more reasonable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The rich and powerful of the Imperium can get a variety of Rejuvination treatments, which can considerably slow and sometimes even halt or mildly reverse the aging process. Add in organ/tissue cloning, advanced bio-cybernetics and other technology 99.999% of humanity will never hear or see and people like Inquisitors, Rogue Trader and super-rich/successful imperial governors and other powerful people can live for hundreds of years.

In addition those that frequently travel between worlds will seem to live longer because time passes slower in the warp at a variable rate. While it may seem like a journey of a couple weeks to the people in the ship, in the materium months could have passed, sometimes even years if they're traveling off a well known/calm warp path. Of course, sometimes things get really freaky and you pop out days/weeks before you left!

So add the two together and you can get people who were born millennia ago and are still fit enough to smite some xenos and purge heretics.

As an example, my GM and I decided my Rogue Trader is, depending on how you look at it, in his early 30s (physically, thanks to age slowing rejuvs) or his late 60s (how many years he has perceived), but was actually born almost 170 years ago (his occupation and navy background involves plenty of warp travel).

Warp Time Dilation is especially a potentially fun tool for GMs. A Rogue Trader can go and get himself a political marriage (or just a fun tryst), have a kid, leave his beloved and child on some planet, go off adventuring for a few years (to him) and pop back home once in a while to visit and see their child seemingly rapidly age into an adult.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 31, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You forgot to mention that M36 lasguns now get variable power settings.

Quite nice changes, I'm rather pleased with how things are going. My group is enjoying our game quite a lot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They changed it in Black Crusade and onwards. Swift and Lightning Attack now work like Semi-Auto and Full-auto fire for melee weapons.

Turns my Rogue Trader into an absolute blender with his power swords. I sliced a Rak'Gol to ribbons in one desperate aggressive-stance Lightning attack. (we've constantly updated our RT game to use the latest rule mechanics)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Suppressing Fire is great. Pinning is a bitch.

Ever since Dark Heresy I've been trying to get this across to my fellow party members (somehow I always end up the guy without the full-auto weapons), they never learn. :saddowns:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It is an odd omission. It has been that way since the first beta pdf even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think a lot of those are fan designs. Also, no Storm Wardens from what I saw.