Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

My usual group is pushing me to run either Dark Heresy or Black Crusade. Given that one of the players wants Black Crusade so they can play a half-daemon, I'm leaning to Dark Heresy. Any suggestions for running either? I've heard the combat is brutal and unforgiving, and if you have a group that tends to rush into things they will all likely die.

Not that you can't change it to suit your needs but a half-daemon isn't a thing in 40k, so if you are gonna change it, you can run it in whichever you want. Black Crusade is the newest one so has the rule set that has had most playtesting time, so you might as well use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kumo posted:

I've been thinking about modifying the rules concerning damage, Wounds, and healing in Dark Heresy in favor of the Players.

While I like most of the system, the combat & damage systems are a little unforgiving. It's all too possible for an acolyte to start play with 10 or less Wounds, and receive critical damage and/or be killed on a lucky hit. Yes, that is part of the reason why Fate points are there; however they are a limited resource that can be quickly squandered or used up due to a series of bad rolls.

Healing is another thing. There are few quick heals in the game outside of Psyker powers (which always run the risk of daemon summoning), and Medicae, which is not always accessible to everyone.

I was thinking of one of the following:

Allowing Players to begin with 1d10 + base Wounds instead of 1d5.

Increasing PCs Toughness bonus for damage reduction by 2 or 3.

Giving them better armor.

Having a Medicae Servo Skull follow them around (maybe they discover it early on) with a few 1d5 heals built in to it.

Your thoughts?

Either make them Ascension level characters or play Deathwatch/Rogue Trader and re-skin the classes as Dark Heresy ones (or just play those games instead), low level DH is not a combat game.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

So does that mean that unless someone has the "Multiple Attack" or "Swift Attack" talent, they can only say, do one standard attack a round even though it is just a half

This is what it means.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

I can see where you're coming from but you're already getting sales from the RPG and the wargame. Why not design a small set of rules to encourage using the 40k tabletop ruleset by having an extremely watered down version of it in the RPG book?

GW hates money.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

So how's your book holding up? My buddy that bought it is reporting that his is falling apart to the point that he's concerned its going to start losing pages after a week and building 5 characters for campaign he's working on.

Mine came with about 6 pages already loose.

It's a massive shame that it's so pretty but glued together with crap.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

This is basically the ideal Black Crusade experience in my opinion...argue, bicker, insult, boast, act selfish and petty, but when poo poo gets real everybody works together even if it's only because you view the other party members as your personal band of meatshields.

See: First Claw in the Night Lords novels. :allears:

They all hate each other, they just hate everybody else more.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
If you think that's the dumbest thing about 40k then you haven't even scratched the surface.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
That's almost definitely the head from the Chaos Marine he's stood on, so it's even worse since it's got chaos stars and poo poo on it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So because being the sperg is fun, rules as written:

- Parry specifically says 'An acolyte targeted by melee attacks can turn aside these attacks using the Parry skill.'.
- Standard Attack says 'The active character makes either one melee attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Weapon Skill Test or one ranged attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Ballistic Skill test.'
- Pistols are all in the Ranged section/have a range characteristic/make no mention of melee, so make ranged attacks and thus can't be parried.

Rules of cool:

Go ahead, though I'd give the weapons armour ratings and have them take damage depending on quality/power field, etc.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I'm assuming DH2 is quite close to OW when I say that I don't follow. Attacks made in melee, against a person you are also in melee with, are melee attacks. They may come from a club, your hands, or a weapon that can also make ranged attacks, but if they're in melee, they're melee.

The big question is what do you do about semi- and full-auto bursts from pistols in melee. Do these count as swift or lightning attacks?

The distinction is made in the pistol rules that they can attack 'in close-combat' rather than melee.

If you were going full-retard you could say pistols can't be used in melee because it say's close-combat, but then you can't use melee weapons in melee because they also say close-combat. Close-combat doesn't seem to be defined anywhere, but it talks about being in 'melee-combat' and 'in melee' in the disengage section.

Semi-auto and Full-auto count as Semi-auto and Full-auto, because they are ranged attack types that can be made in close-combat if using a pistol.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2015

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Also decieve isn't a WS check. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Drone posted:

So are all these awful reviews of the binding on the Dark Heresy 2e core rulebook pretty much universal? I'd kinda like to buy it but I don't want that poo poo to fall apart after one reading, which it seems like was happening to a lot of people.

And do the other books suffer from that problem? I know it's not a FFG-specific thing, since I haven't had a single problem with any of their Star Wars RPG books.

My DH2 had pages falling out when it arrived brand new before I even read it.