Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The UFO thing would probably be hard to pull off, as any Imperial ship likely carries sufficient firepower to devastate the planet, if not sterilize it completely. Calling in rods from the God-Emperor, while satisfying and dramatic, would probably trivialize heretic armies and strongholds unless there were some reason not to use overwhelming firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

An untouchable in one of the Ravenor books actually acquired a soul after exposure to a mirror psyker over a long period of time. Going from anti-psyker to normal kinda counts, maybe?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

zeal posted:

Bequin gets to be a real girl in the end? good for her, i never read Pariah

Not her. The guy who would read smut to Zael while he was in a coma.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That dude looks like he either just started out as a rogue trader or he’s navy. Not nearly enough bling. Awesome art though, he does look like a badass.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I wish someone would make a really good 40K movie but I don't see how it would be possible without being a CGI piece of poo poo.

Event Horizon exists and is really good, though? :v:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Have the vile greenskin hordes consist mostly of grots, with a few dozen actual boyz and maybe one nob?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I may or may not be watching the Friday the 13th movies for inspiration on how to roleplay an Eversor.

You pray to the God-Emperor that you be released from your sarcophagus to kill. Once it opens, you emit a loud SKREEEEEEE and don’t stop until you either die or everyone else does.

Also, watch Jason X. That whole movie is pretty eversor-y, in retrospect.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can I please get some name suggestions for an Ork that (one of my players reads the thread) Is basically an Ork tech priest. Huge, mechadendrites, digital voice. speaks in unemtiotinal pseudo code but it will all be tinged with his Orky anger/stupidity. I'd like the name to specifically allude to his digitally encrypted voice which, to those without access (the party, at first) will just be bursts of static/noise.

Uguz Dvork

Preechr fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 29, 2018

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Blokchain the Block'ead

He’s ‘ere to talk to youz ‘bout Gorkcoin.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Kaldor Draigo. When he gets bored with non-stop slaughter in the Realms of Chaos, he vacations there to recuperate.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Once you’ve been on the salt for a while, those around you that do not partake start seeing increasingly horrifying hallucinations around you, escalating in complexity and brutality. You never experience these hallucinations... until, inevitably, they begin to manifest physically.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Hammer of Industry, affectionately nicknamed The Company Store (as in the song Sixteen tons “I owe my soul to the company store.”)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

JcDent posted:

I suggest that maybe, _maybe_, having lascannons, a crew served anti-tank weapon, be made to be man-handled by a single acolyte (and not a power-armored Space Marine) is a bit daft.

It's like making a modern game where some investigator dude can be a one-man Javelin team, able to fire an ATGM every turn.

I mean, did you ever play COD4:MW?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Challenge: construct the backstory of a 40k character using one sentence.

I'll go first.

Veteran of the Flavor Wars.

“The Administratum Auditor was ready when the Inquisition came to call.”

Preechr
May 19, 2009

“Who’s the man who purges all the heretics? LORD INQUISITOR SHAFT! drat straight.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I seem to recall references to Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, which I had always assumed were just regular storm troopers with fancy =][= badges on their helmets permanently seconded to the Inquisition.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so. I guess all I need now is grimdark name suggestions for an elite unit that does hot drops, infiltration, long range reconnaissance, and other special forces type things.

The Most Holy Ordos of the Emperor’s Inquisition Subdepartmentum of Corrections

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The 695 001.M41 Commission

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Someone should just send FFG a nice apology card and a cookie basket?

Frustrating as it is, I really do appreciate FFG’s 40k products. I would love for them to pick it back up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I think the Lathe Worlds supplement for Dark Heresy has a bunch of integrated weapons and other Mechanicus stuff, if that helps.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm, uh, asking for a friend; what rpg is just this.

FATAL

Preechr
May 19, 2009

One of the eisenhorn books had a magic door that opened to different places and required a room full of psykers to operate. If you went in, you couldn’t come straight back, it brought you to a circuit of places first. One of them had tyrannids. I believe it selected destinations based not on where the user wanted to go, but to where they needed to go, following some unseen criteria.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

My navigator is excessively paranoid (or not paranoid enough?!) and will often suggest the most horrifying solutions to problems as being the only sensible choice. These solutions are all terrible loving ideas and the rest of the party has been cautious enough to shy away from them, so far. But now that our voidmaster is touched by the warp and carrying around a hellblade while searching for skulls for a throne that is possibly not as golden as he thought, the others will turn to my now-thoroughly blind (thanks to our mind-controlled kommando) dumb rear end for measures that surely won’t get us viciously hosed by the radical inquisitor whose base we probably broke in to.

Said inquisitor might not exist. But we have to act as if he did, or we may not live long enough to awaken the machine world to shoot down the admech battlecruiser in orbit before eating us.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2020

Preechr
May 19, 2009

S.J. posted:

The 40k universe is pretty FATAL to the characters in the stories, right?

When you roll Perils of the Warp when rolling for anal circumference :discourse:

E: at least it’s not Palladium.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So what weapon would you suggest for fighting an enemy who can count? :cheeky:

Math.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Play as Da Emprah’s Greenest. A bunch of orks tithed by mistake as “ogryn,” given commissars that know better but also know that attempting to point it out will just get themselves killed. They have been called up to suppress some “eresee” by a planetary governor attempting to lead his world to join the Tau after feeling that the Imperium was providing insufficient protection against other xenos threats. With Da Emprah’s Greenest en route to return the world to a state of compliance, is the governor wrong... or right?

Preechr fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 26, 2021

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Our Rogue Trader group ran up our space credit cards to their limit and hosed up so badly with so much heresy, that we ended going back in time. We are now planning to live our lives on the straight and narrow, having turned a new leaf, by becoming drug dealers and flooding Imperial space with home-made Dark Eldar narcotics.
10/10 would erase an entire detachment of Sororitas from history using tech heresy and infect our ship with an abominable intelligence again.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Anyone have house rules that make psykers not feel just the worst to play?

Rank up until you have delude (which covers all your social interactions) and can perform all physical actions via telekinetic manipulation, then carry two riot shields and use your mind to fight with a force sword? If your GM won’t let you get a force sword, then a man portable las cannon or something, just floating along with your mind.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2022

Preechr
May 19, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

The fact that every single time I have played one, barring once, my character has been rendered unplayable on the first power use.

Oh, then play an Astropath in Rogue Trader, they get a bunch of ways to avoid that unless you deliberately leave that option open.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If your GM doesn’t let you spend fate to reroll perils, they’re a jerk.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

A bunch of explorator traits let you use your Mechanicus implants to do various things. One example off the top of my head is you can repair a burned-out forcefield in like a minute instead of an hour with luminen charge, drawing on your potentia coil, instead of having to dick with it by hand. Hallucinogen grenade made your enemies drop their guns for a round? Ferric lure that poo poo.

Also, the only difference between an orthodox cogboy and a heretek is time and the right piece of tech; you can surely find someone willing to replace more of your frail meat with the sacred machine.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Here's a question for DMing Rogue Trader:

I've noticed that the players' ship is reliably faster than NPC ships. Part of this is down to rewards the players have earned, but most of it is down to the way the Flank Speed action works, and the fact that any decent techpriest will soon have tech-use pushed into the 70s where he pretty much can't fail and is likely to push the ship's speed by a good 30%.

It's an adventure fiction staple that the heroes' ship is fast and well-handled, so it's not really a problem that they are faster than their class suggests. The problem is that not all of their opponents should be slow by comparison. It's hard to have an interesting stern chase if you know your frigate is likely to catch and defeat every raider you see, and is almost certain to outrun any cruiser.

The thing is, ships need to have command crews to use actions like Flank Speed, and I don't want to bother creating command crews for every NPC ship and determining whether they're going to be good at going fast or not. Any suggestions for how to vary the NPC ship handling, so that my heroes aren't guaranteed to run down any opponent they want?

That raider has an archaeotech plasma drive, that one upgrade that lets you juice speed until you gently caress up, and a crew with a rating of 55. Their enginseer has a Good MIU so that 55 is actually a 65 because he’s plugged in; occasionally their navigator will use that action that will give the helmsman +10 x DoS to his next maneuver action; the captain will sometimes dedicate his turn to Assist for +10. Maybe the crew has, collectively, 1-5 fate points that can be spent but not burned. You don’t need actual crews, just use the crew rating you pick and keep a small chart of bonuses that could reasonably apply to those rolls based on how hard you want the fight to be.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 17, 2024

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

So how much profit factor would you say looting a mostly-intact Drukhari raider should be worth? It's quite a bit of spiky xenotech and no pesky costs associated with refurbishing the hulk.

Does it have any surviving crew, and does your party know a Stryxis?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

lines posted:

My character who has this is a Genetor so I'm not sure what the Biologis equivalent is.

Blessed be the Omnissiah, for the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Let the pee stored in His balls rain down upon us and strengthen us against Error.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Well, that’s unfortunate!
In all seriousness, maybe 3-5pf plus a few rolls on the random treasure generator from Stars of Inequity, locked to xenos origin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

So the players and the GM aren’t fighting over the same book?