Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm partially convinced that the Mechanicus don't believe any of the poo poo they preach at all, and are essentially running a long con on the rest of the Adeptus Terra to hoard all of the good stuff for themselves and keep all the rest of the benighted loving barbarians in the Imperium from wrecking their cool ships and robots by poking their fingers in places they don't belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

ItalicSquirrels posted:

You know, if you could make DH into a more Call of Cthulhu type of investigation game, that would be a pretty cool premise. You're sent on a mission by your (slightly rogue?) Inquisitor to find out the secret of Binary or whatever and it just digs you deeper and deeper. At some point the Inquisitor proves to be too inquisitive and gets killed off, and before too long the acolytes have started to stumble on data that the Tech Priests are dicking the Imperium over. Cue sanity-losing series of sessions that end with half of the team dead and the others too insane to be believed.

Done! I'll report back when I've finished. It'd probably go better than my ultimately abandoned Rogue Trader game.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Glad you like it. How far along are you?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Heh, awesome. I kind of wish I'd written that. I did "Playing the Game" and the Game Master chapter in that book.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Find whoever proofreads/spellchecks your stuff, and shoot him- even Nurgle wouldn't approve of such sloppiness :mad: Seriously, while most of your stuff is good, and your rules are loving gold, The Black Sepulchre irritated my OCD something awful.

Sigh... I have nothing to do with editing/proofreading, and this is one of the most common complaints with gamers. Did you ever follow my "Ask me about writing in the games industry" thread? We had a discussion about the ins and outs of game editing in there. Suffice it to say, it's never going to get better.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, wow, really? Tell me what it was like working for FFG. They seem pretty swell.

FFG is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Seriously, they're among the best in the business.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 14, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please tell me someone out there is working on an Ork book. I'm winging it pretty hardcore on my CYOA but it's a ton of fun.

Allow me to refer you to my fifty page Non-Disclosure Agreement that's dense with legalese and festooned with the sigils of the Ruinous Powers...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Heh, typical. My answers are, "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and dunno." If you want, I can talk about books that are already on shelves. That's what my NDA lets me talk about.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

Problem - My Ultramarines character has three different bolters, 3 different swords, a knife, and lots of grenades/magazines as a result of character advances giving me lots of freebies. I cannot use all of these at once and I have no clue what to do with all of them.

Solution - I spend 400 XP on getting up to Trained rank in Performer/Juggling. Uses have been found! :dance:

Your other option is a Techmarine, the Twin-Linked weapon quality, and a pile of thrones...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

Or poach the Wrist Mounted upgrades from Rogue Trader and walk around telling everyone you're Marneus Calgar.

That too.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Yeeeeeeessssssss. Finally! Also, they used one of my flavor quotes in that press release. As usual, I can't give any real details other than "It's rad". The only more detail I can go into is, "It's loving rad and was the game I wanted to work on in the first place!"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that FFG put this in- or the fact that I'm still giggly over it:

Wow, that beats the hell out of all the Falco/Der Kommissar stuff I shoehorned into the write-up on Commissars in OW Core. I'm not sure who did that, but I know who approved it, and I'm definitely buying him a beer at GenCon.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

That was a quick turn around. I turned in my part of Stars of Iniquity sometime in September or early October.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Liesmith posted:

which part did you do? This is a really tight book if you're a DM.

Also it seems like the system generator is the same as the one in the DM's Guide, reprinted here so that all your system-planet-colony-treasure stuff is in the same place. Is that the case? Not that I'm complaining, there's a ton of great new stuff in here and the system generator is convenient. It's only $20 on drivethru right now and I'd say it's totally worth it for a GM. Not so much for a player.

I did the colony rules, which were really fun to do. I can't wait to see what happened to them in editing, it's always interesting to see how much stuff gets through and how much gets left on the floor, as it were.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Yep, that was all me. I'm glad you like it! I'm one of the go-to guys for rules at FFG, although they recently gave me a break and are letting me do a whole chapter of fluff on my current assignment. Hell, my first assignment for FFG were the expanded Endeavour and Social Interaction rules in Into the Storm.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Liesmith posted:

Nice! I'm using those, although I'm also arranging social elements like combat with initiative and turns and stuff because I have so many players it's hard to do everything at once

Oh man, I like that initiative idea for social interaction. I wrote those rules right after I got laid off from Palladium (after three or so months of heavy drinking and dicking around with resumes and new business cards) knowing precious little about the system or the setting. I'm glad you're getting good use out of them.

Scoobi posted:

Whats going on over there? I think outside of Hammer of the Emperor theres nothing 'coming out' soon. Any rad hints you can drop? The colony rules are cool!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... Due to NDA embargoes and not really knowing all that much (I'm in Detroit, FFG is in Minneapolis) I can't talk much about what's going on. I can tell you we're crazy loving busy, though. In the last quarter of 2012 I wrote something like 250,000 words on a number of different projects, which was loving stupid on my part. I over committed because my 2012 summer was absolutely dead. Dead enough for me to start looking into shooting ads or cooking professionally again. Then GenCon hit and I was underwater until, well, now. So, I can assure you that poo poo is coming, lots of it, but I don't really know what or when. :shobon:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nah, I didn't work on that one. I like Deathwatch okay, but I'm kinda meh on Space Marines. Only War is my jam, though. I love the Guard.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

They're getting the guy who wrote FATAL to do it.

I really want to work on that Slaanesh book (and Papa Nurgle), don't know if I'm in the running, though. I love the ideas behind Slaanesh, the freedom and consequences discussion and the pleasure/pain dichotomy, but man, that poo poo is usually written like a thirteen year old's fever dream. I know a lot of people are really leery about doing that one.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can pretty much guarantee that we (the writers and editors) will be on a tight leash when working on that book. We're all pretty committed to making things cool, and to not taking part in a lot of the excesses in the setting.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Manifest posted:

I want chaos dreadnoughts with tits. Nothing else will suffice.

Now you're thinking like a GW content developer!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

What do you guys recommend for maps? I'm ginning up an Only War game for cons/home game nights, and I want to actually use some grid maps since there's going to be a fair amount of vehicle combat. Any good sources for pre-made game maps you all know of?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

kannonfodder posted:

Problem with grid maps for only war is the massive range that weapons have in this, especially if you are planning on using vehicles. When maximum ranges of weapons can get up to 800+ meters, and if you are using a grid of 1m=1inch or cm, you are going to either need a massive table to play on, or all of your fighting will be at point blank ranges.

I'd recommend you either lose the grid and just use measuring sticks (and have all of your models be pretty small) or ditch miniatures entirely (as my group did for this) and learn how to picture it all in your head.

At home, with my guys, we do it all in our heads no problem. It's how I ran my Rogue Trader game, and that had a lot of ship to ship combat. At cons though, I feel like I need something more concrete as strange players can be, well, strange. I have been accused of cheating at GMing because my interpretation of rules and game mastering is different than some greasy, long-haired grognard in a titmarine t-shirt.

You're probably right, though. A map is just one more thing to complicate the game.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thank you, gentlemen. I'mma take all this into consideration. I like the illustrating hot spots idea, as well as dumping the grid altogether. Sometimes I'm still stuck in AD&D mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Blueballs posted:

The characters in Black Crusade aren't evil. They fight for the gods themselves against the false Emperor. What could be more just and right?

This guy knows what's up.