Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Being that Pariah's creep the gently caress out of everybody (see the first Eisenhorn novel), his being the Chaplain may have actually DRIVEN his brethren into the arms of the chaos god... because when the word of god makes your flesh creep, why follow that god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Liesmith posted:

Making people super uncomfortable is not exactly a negative in a lot of religious figures. You're supposed to fear your God.

Not at the point of the heresy, as the emperor wouldn't even ADMIT to being a god, and the cult was outlawed by his own decree.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Signal posted:

I'm actually pretty sure that most Space Marine chapters don't acknowledge the idea of the Emperor as a God. He's seen as the apex of mortal man, but not quite divine. Of course, I don't remember where exactly I'm remembering this from, but it's part of the reason why you have things like the Space Wolves being gone after by the Ecclesiarchy for their Wolf-Gods.

3rd or 4th edition Space Marine Codex contained a daily schedule for the space marines, which included multiple hours of prayer to the God-Emperor... also, something like 2 hours of sleep and SOME chapters gave marines 15 minutes of free time every day. Most of them think that 15 minutes a day is excessive though.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

3rd edition codex is from the mid 90's, 2004 would be 4th edition, so its probably not in there.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A psyker on ice is a psyker who can't control their connection to the warp. It is... not advisable.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Read the various Felix and Gotrek books involving Skaven, since the Grey Seer is constantly sniffing Warp Dust. Grants magical power, overdose can kill, causes concentration problems, visions of destruction, and massive megalomania. MASSIVE megalomania.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

You did have people smoking wyrdroot with warpstone mixed in, in the first book. The warpstone dust is just a refined form meant for inhaling. I'd say warpstone is going to act like cocaine, LSD, and spook mixed into one.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

All of it

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

gently caress the overpriced plastic men, just read anything Dan Abnett.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Eh, it goes both ways. The poo poo that more popular authors write tends to get rules in the next edition.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Yeah, they keep trying to make everything MORE human

The best part of the setting was how chaos and aliens were so inhuman that we couldn't even BEGIN to understand their motivations, and even trying to understand them usually drove people insane to one degree or another. Now necrons are just... humanoid robots who were once a flesh race. And Eldar are poncy humans who see the future and really obsess over poo poo, and Tau are just regular human-like dudes who are brainwashed into believing in the Greater Good.

The only awesome guys left are the orks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Necrons were the horror of immortality. Eternal existance granted at the loss of the entirety of who they were. The Necron Lords woke to rule over the silent bodies of their friends and family.

They got what they wanted, but had never understood the cost.

The necrons were a horror story.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

When I ran Deathwatch, I went full ridiculous with it. Any time they got the paint blasted off their Rhino or their armor, I'd describe the metal underneath as having a glossy grey plastic sheen. I also made them fight a Slaneeshi version of the Ginyu force in a series of one-on one duels to determine the fate of an entire battlefront.

You did it right. Good job man.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Have the crew be the only living squats, but the ship has a cloning bank and all of the genetic info of their race.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Squat ship design probably runs towards the superheavy, I'm guessing, going by their war machines, so I suppose a superheavy industrial ship would fit in.
What's the lightest fastest ship that can mount a ram? A cruiser? A high speed raider with lascutters and filled with Slayers might be an interesting alternate tactic. Haha, reskin the murder-servitor upgrade as a Slayer cult shrine.

Damnit, now I want to make Spacehammer, Warhammer Fantasy in space that isn't 40k. All the 40k races gain spaceflight via magic or tech, but retain their land on the homeworld. Fighting over planets they can strip the resources from in order to support the behemoth warfronts that have evolved.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

And I thought I went apeshit with my game! Suddenly, having my Dark Heresy crew break into the Golden Throneroom through the webway backdoor in order to help a Mekboy use warp-proof necron-metal plates to perform emergency throne repair doesn't seem so nuts.

I like this plan more than the "go kill all the gods and all the bloodthirsters" idea. But to be fair, anything that involves PCs supporting a mekboy is good in my books.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Navies are PDF run, mostly exist as anti-piracy and anti-rebellion things.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PDF varies from world to world, so put them at whatever tech level you want. Some worlds have PDF fighting with WW2 style weapons, others are better armed than most guard regiments.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Yes. A lot of the enemies in OW Core were ported directly from other systems, and are rather... higher powered than they should be in a game of Guardsmen.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Dan Abnett book about air combat had some mention of ships patrolling the sea.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

A Rogue Trader has authority on the same level as a Chapter Master

I wouldn't call it the same level. A chapter master can call down an exterminatus. I'd just say "a RTs authority comes from the same source as a Chapter Master, but is used for different purposes."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

This actually seems to vary, depending on the source of fluff. There are several worlds mentioned in older fluff that have been uninhabitable for millenia after virus bombing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Imp Guard fired virus bombs into a Hive Fleet ship, and the ship incorporated the virus and started firing the virus back inside it's own projectiles.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

In BFG the ships could have so many spores floating around them that the spores count as a shield. Dunno if you would want to use that in RT or not.

The ships also inflicted auto-hits on enemys if they came in close. Which made them the ONE fleet that could munch on Necrons as if they were candy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The old system or the OW system?

I still dislike OW and BC because it tends to reward highly focused characters instead of having a way to force you to take poo poo that doesn't apply to your optimized role. It ends up just feeling very... crunchy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Which is sad, because the core book REALLY wants you to infiltrate.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The core rulebook was basically completely unsure of what it wanted to do. Non-marines basically existed for infiltration and leading tons of minions, but mutations made it (nearly) impossible to infiltrate. Marines didn't mix with non-marines in any way... All sorts of inconsistencies. It basically felt like the book changed hands halfway through development and instead of starting over, the new person just tacked poo poo on without thinking about it.

I assume they were trying to let the game do anything, but it came across as something with no focus, lots of broken rules, and no good way to play anything. The horrible clusterfuck that is the Minion rules is one good example of that.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Xenos deals directly with aliens, with alien tech in human hands, with dangerous alien lifeforms...

Think parasites that control their hosts, alien diseases, alien created crops, better versions of tech that aren't authorized by the mechanicus...

You can have an entire story based around tracing down the source of xenos-made artifacts that are actually ENTIRELY beneficial, but completely unauthorized, and the mechanicus has outright refused to approve of them because they can't replicate it. What kind of moral quandry will you have when told to destroy the only source of something that regrows limbs or cures horrible diseases, and destroy/confiscate any that you find?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

space marines if you just want to kill poo poo, humans if you want the game to include non-killy poo poo. Then be aware that a number of the badguys are designed for the marines to kill, and humans probably can't kill it without aid.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Poor Dinci (psyker in one of the BC games on the forum) got 1-hit KO'd by a horde with lasguns. And that was a weak one.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The crunch answer is "yes".

The roleplay answer is "only if it helps your dude be interesting without making him a gimmick who can only do one thing"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Only War is decent for a One Shot, but it's really hard to keep it interesting for anything that's going to run for any length of time. Very little variety and EVERYTHING is based around combat and killing poo poo. You don't really get a chance to be social or anything.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I know Dan Abnett is kind of an overused go-to but really, I think the Gaunt's Ghosts novels (or even the Ciaphas Cain series) are a reasonable counterargument to this. Yeah, there's a lot of shooting and exploding and stabbing going on but there are also breaks in the action, social shenanigans, drama, espionage, etc. All it takes is not constantly going from big shooty mission to big shooty mission without pause and actually including some opportunities to do things that aren't all about "go here, kill these guys."

You have to move away from RAW if you want to really do anything outside of combat. They put a basic framework in for non-combat stuff, hedged it in with a bunch of rules and Challenging (+0) rolls and made it basically worthless. poo poo like requisitions, "Oh, make a requisition roll" instead of actually having your dude go argue with the munitorum clerk. Who needs Charm or Decieve when you can just boost your logistics rating!

My point is that you CAN do all that out of combat stuff, but you need to really push for it and be creative with it, instead of just following the rules blindly (as far too many people do), or you might as well not do it. And for someones first introduction to the setting, they are probably going to be a bit lost when it comes down to how the IG and the munitorum and the techpriests all interact.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I love those warp engines. Rogue Trader really is the sweet spot of awesome RP opportunity and awesomely powerful dudes. I just wish it had more books describing infinite variations of goods. The variant creation system from OW would be perfect for RT.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The treasure generator is just a d10 list that sends you to a list of 8-10 stock items that you also make a d10 roll on. No customization of the items at all, just a flat statline for each one.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Warp travel is more like a boat sailing on an ocean without a map of the currents or navigational hazards. Going straight from Point A to Point B may be the shortest physical path, but it's not necessarily the fastest or safest path.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It depends on the STC, but yes, most only make one thing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The STC itself is a device that produces something based on instructions. The STC Template tells it what it can build. Most Templates are found inside of an STC when it is discovered, and usually only the inserted Template is found, so "most STCs only make one thing". Templates appear to be something that cannot be reproduced with current tech, so you get stuck with either a single STC dividing it's time between multiple templates, or multiple STCs working full time on single templates. The imperium appears to favor the second method.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Standard_Template_Construct

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The WFRP game Dyne is running on the forums managed to have BOTH of the spellcasters TPK the party, in the same turn. Even with multiple rerolls. After something like 4 rerolls, we had results that didn't insta-end the game. The elf managed to cause every single person related to him to go sterile, instantly, and everyone was de-pantsed by the ice witch.

I loving love the bad poo poo that can happen if spellcasters/psykers gently caress up in the Games Workshop universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

You also have xenos races that control multiple systems in a small area, ones that humans just never bothered to eradicate, or found it too much trouble to eradicate.