Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Thinking up a rogue's gallery (Ha ha) for a potential Rogue Trader game. I always have an easier time with big open ended games like RT by making characters and antagonists and just having them slot into a story where appropriate. How much sense does it make to have a rogue trader who is outwardly every bit the noble Imperium-serving nobleman that traders "should" be but is secretly 100% converted to the Greater Good and is essentially running espionage for the Tau, some of which are on his ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I both A. love using the current 40k canon as an excuse to set up proper mixed adventuring parties and B. hope there's enough material for an entire party of orks for a really dumb one shot that will end with everyone dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Where's all this art being posted?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would infinitely rather have an RPG system that lets me play a variety of characters with one book than four loving different gamelines all containing minor variations on the same system that makes trying to do any crossover work just enough of a hassle not to bother with

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe what they've said is that since the default setting for the game is the Dark Imperium things are way more loose with who gets paired up with who on missions out of complete necessity.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the Dark Imperium isn't used for WnG because Games Workshop "gave" them the setting (they just made up a sector to use as a default setting much like FFG did) but more so because it's as good an excuse as any for space marine/eldar buddy cop adventures and other mixed party shenanigans.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
one of the campaign framework suggestions in the WnG core book is a group of orks stranded on a bizarre alien planet, hunting through ancient ruins for junk to build a ship with while also fighting off monstrous fauna and rival ork mobs

I am way into this but I feel like that's going to need more ork archetypes available before its really a thing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah like I'd say the big difference between FFG 40k and WnG is the latter is something I could see myself actually playing and enjoying

I like the ideas of the FFG games but there's way too many fiddly bits

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 19, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The only thing I'm really looking forward to from W&G is Eldar stuff. I was kinda bummed that FFG never put anything out for that really, so if we get some really cool sourcebooks and adventures, I'm down.

That being said I'm probably going to play Warhammer 4th more (which hopefully doesnt suck)

I think they said the second adventure book was going to be Eldar focused but there's also an Eldar mission in Dark Tides

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
you can just like

not let anyone play an ork or an eldar or whatever in your game

I also think it's absurd to think of FFG's 40k RPGs as being about "focus" instead of being about making you buy more books

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Speaking of which I'm not sure what Tech interaction attacks are supposed to be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schadenboner posted:

Did they literally cause the great rift?

No that was Abaddon

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dachshundofdoom posted:

It's Warhammer Fantasy Deathwatch.

This makes me want to play it more than anything

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man Black Crusade's got to be high up on my list of games I've always wanted to play in but nobody ever runs

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me we still haven't gotten that Aeldari splatbook for W&G

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They know it is dead now they can finally make their own game, so I would be surprised if we see anything else for W&G.

I would hate to lose the 40k game that actually lets you play a wide variety of things for "Dark Hersey Again"

Like the games are different enough both mechanically and in scope that I would think there's room for both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm taking credit for manifesting this book into existence