Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I read in another thread about combining all three games into one epic campaign, and that is what I have set out to do.

The meta plot is that the last Old One who is sustained by a Platinum Throne is working with the Emperor to get himself reborn to fight back against the Ruinous powers and the C'tan.

The DH part of the campaign will first have them investigating the growing death cult on a Feral planet named Agra. Regardless of their success, the leader of the death cult, who is a latent psychic who has been promised great power by the Necrons, activates a relay station on the planet.

Once the relay is activated it will shoot a beam that will activate the Necrons that are hidden on a ghost planet that only comes out of the Warp every thousand years.

When that happens we will switch over to the RT portion. Since my players bribed me, I’m giving them two ships, one for each of the two Rogue Traders. They, being the ones that transported the DH characters to the planet, will be hit by the beam and phase into the warp as well. They will reach a virgin world (uncolonized world built by the Eldar) that has a strange energy reading in the center. Since their engines are disabled, Ill lead them down to the planet where, after a few Eldar related combats, they will discover a modified STC that has been built with one primary purpose.

The entire structure has been re-engineered to house and develop a single child, the reborn Emperor. He will of course awaken and task the RT with helping him develop his powers so that he can reclaim his throne. (the ultimate goal being them killing the old emperor so that he child can reclaim his full power)

Once they meet with the kid, Ill switch modes to a Grey Knight Death Watch campaign. On the shrine world of Luz Sagrada, the Grey Knights have been dispatched to perform Final Benediction on the planet along with the Ordos Malleus. They have given in to despair and sloth, letting a cult of Nurgle set up shop and allowed a Daemon incursion to happen.

The players will fight through the nurgle hordes and insane citizens all the way to the corrupted Basilica of the Eternal Emperor, where the Daemon hosted High Inquisitor Vartarious awaits. After a furious battle they will find scrawling in blood and pus all over every surface of the Basilica "The False Emperor is Born”

Also with the RT part, is that 3 of the 5 players are spies for the Tau (A Kroot), Orcs (Orc Freebooter) and the Tyranids(A perfect genetic copy of a human with access to the hivemind).
Im planning on setting up a massive space battle between all of the factions and the other two players who will lead Imperium forces.

I just hope it all works out.

Well, it's about your usual standard.

Me personally, I think the whole drat thing sounds dumb as hell, but hey, this is 40K- it's all about finding the level of dumb as hell that's right for you.

And as you've taught us in the past, you prefer a level of dumb as hell significantly dumber than most other people.

The platinum throne bit stands out as the stupidest part in a story composed almost entirely of stupidest parts, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

St0rmD posted:

It's not so much that there are flaws, as the whole thing in general just lacks any sort of restraint or evidence that you have even a shred of good taste. Lacking that, no amount of assistance can help you.

Though to be slightly more constructive: if this is for the same group that found the antics I linked to be legitimately high-larious, yeah, you're probably dead-on. I weep for your souls, but you're probably going to be just fine.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Signal posted:

A lot of that is up to the GM, and the source of the item in question. The Imperium has some planets where you might find a dataport implant in every sewing machine or leafblower. Another planet might have city-sized computers that run off of punchcards, steam power, and the screams of tortured children.

I know it isn't really a helpful answer, but "you decide!" is all I can really offer. I would err on the side of "doesn't have dataport" for most things, though. Direct interface seems like a much more sophisticated technology than most of what the Imperium would have available, simply because difficulty of data storage/transfer is a pretty key element in the setting.

As a general rule I'd say Adeptus Mechanicus stuff is almost entirely MIU-interfaceable, Naval stuff has it on pretty much anything important, servitors generally have something along those lines, and everywhere else it's limited to really big computer systems.

With the occasional wierd-rear end inexplicable relic that's got a data port on it for some reason, of course.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Liesmith posted:

Bolters have machine spirits, and a high quality astartes bolter might have thousands of machine spirits, each serving a sacred purpose in the gun. They are ludicrously advanced weapons. The only reason they might not be MIU compatible is because they are TOO COOL for your run of the mill MIU and will fry anyone who even tries to link with them unless they are an inquisitor or techmarine or similar worthy. IMO.

loving Iron Hands bullshit up ins. Yeah, I know, your Master of the Forge has you spending your maintenance-hours listening to servitors 'lost in contemplation of the Omnissiah's glory,' after long enough I'd start buying into his bullshit too just to shut him up. Everyone else just calls it 'mind-lock,' goddamn.

And yes I know about the time the Prophecy of Ajax-183 saved an entire sector from being overrun by Orks, that was just a coincidence.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zereth posted:

Do they have the "Of course it has a machine spirit, it's a machine, right?" machine spirits or the "accessible with proper tools diagnostic computer interface" machine spirits?

The Liesmith version of 40K, kind of like the Liesmith version of Mage, takes a few liberties with the source material but is internally consistent.

The Liesmith version of 40K has as its core conceit that the Adeptus Mechanicus is not, in fact, a bunch of guys doing things by rote who occasionally accidentally stumble onto actual science. Instead, they are 100% right. The reason human technology is so resilient is that -everything- is on some level vaguely aware, and the reason the Tech-Priests perform rites that seem to our (woefully primitive) understanding to be pointless is because those are, in fact, the best ways to deal with the fantastically advanced technology of forty thousand years in the future.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zereth posted:

The fantastically advanced technology of forty thousand years in the future which is in nearly every case massively inferior to the fantastically advanced technology of twenty thousand years in the future? :raise: (Or whatever the actual figures are, I don't feel like looking up the timeline here)

Like I said. Takes a few liberties with the source material. I like the interpretation and all, but I find it less entertaining than the idea that the Cult Mechanicus is a pretty batshit mix of people who know what they're doing and people who are just making it up as they go along.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

'Cause he's a bad guy. :ms:

loving Amalatheans. None of you have the slightest drat clue about how the Imperium functions. How many of your coterie come from a Pleasure World? Not a goddamn one of them? WOW, that's a shocker. How many denizens of peace are of any use in this galaxy? Same number? HOW DESPERATELY UNSURPRISING.
One world burns so that a dozen might be saved. Math ain't that drat hard, people.

This message brought to you by the Istvaanians: Strength Through Other People's Suffering.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

robziel posted:

In Deathwatch all Righteous Fury rolls are auto-confirmed and you roll more damage.

...against xenos. Anyone else, you have to confirm your Righteous Furies.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TehWarsmith posted:

Rogue Trader.

The players are Julius Mourn, Rogue Trader and captain of the ship. Maximus Rex, another Rogue Trader who's lost his ship and his assets and is now working for Julius, and me, Gaiman Holdt, Arch Militant and Julius's security chief. Julius is more even-handed and handles all the business decisions, while Maximus is more impulsive and arrogant, and way better at violencing people. He is also super religious. Holdt is trying to escape his past as a corrupt arbitrator and attempts to be professional while also making massive amounts of space cash.

While stopped at a station to resupply, a guy attempts to sneak onto the ship. I arrest him, and Julius decides he wants to meet anyone who has enough balls to try to sneak onto a Rogue Trader's ship.

The guy turns out to be a cowardly schmuck named Novus who lost a ship full of unbelievably valuable cargo out in the expanse, and was thusly cut off by his noble house and stranded out here. He's been trying to con someone into helping him recover the cargo ever since. Julius decides to help him out, while describing to us at least six different plans that all involve Novus spaced or stranded and us that much richer.

We finish up our outstanding job and then strong-arm Novus into telling us that the cargo is some kind of incredibly rare, incomprehensibly valuable, and EXTRA heretical ancient technology.

We arrive in the system where he lost the ship, only to find an asteroid belt full of similar drifting wrecks. We scan the belt but can't find anything. Novus tells us that there are pirates operating out of the belt, people who have been out there so ling they're more like tribal voidsmen than pirates. We figure we can get them to tell us about any ships that have come into the belt easy, and the captain puts me in charge, as I am much better at violencing than he is.

My plan is for me and Maximus to teleport onto the pirates' moon base with a whole bunch of troops, surprising and frightening them, and demand information. We assemble in the teleportarium and off we go!

We arrive, and immediately hold up our guns, ready to fend off pirates! There are pirates alright, but none of them are armed or armored in any way. At the far end of the room is a woman in white and a man in gold, being attended by a guy dressed up like a shaman.

We have crashed a wedding, and we are standing on the buffet table. Most of my troops have teleported into the food.

So what does Maximus do? He shoots the groom in the arm and demands information, while informing the pirates that they are filthy heathens who do not live in the Emperor's light and if they don't tell us what we want to know he won't feel bad about killing them. :doh:

The player is saying in OOC "Don't worry, I have a plan" while I am laughing too hard to breathe and saying "YES, YOUR PLAN IS TO SHOOT A DUDE ON HIS WEDDING DAY, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM"

The pirates proceed to tell us what we want to know (someone got to the wrecked ship first and towed it into the nearby nebula) with absolutely no trouble, and honestly don't act particularly offended that we busted in on their ceremony and shot the man of the hour. So what does Maximus do?

He kneecaps the groom for good measure, demands that the pirates give us a guide to help us follow the missing ship, and says "We're taking the bride as collateral." :psyduck:

At this point I have given up all hope of survival and am considering voxing the captain to get us out of there, but again the pirates do not really react. They agree to send the guide, Maximus's indentured feral worlder takes custody of the bride, and we teleport back to the ship.

The captain demands to know who the woman is, and Maximus starts running his mouth and bragging; "Oh, just some young lady who took a shine to me..." Eventually I give the captain the report of what actually happened and he momentarily freaks out ("You interrupted a local custom?! I've lost whole expeditions over things like that!!") but is pleased that we managed to get a guide and all seems well.

Maximus jokingly asks the GM "So, is this tribal pirate girl hot?" The GM pauses, and says, "Roll a D10."

So he does.

It comes up 3.

"Yeah, she's pretty attractive."

Maximus's player crows in triumph and declares that he is going to start rebuilding his dynasty here and now!

Then the guide (who speaks much better Gothic) turns up and greets Maximus as his brother. We all go "what" and he explains that she's his sister, and since Maximus was able to take her by force, according to tribal space pirate custom they are now officially married.

I am very close to death by this point as I am laughing so hard.

On top of this, if Maximus can keep other suitors from getting ahold of her for long enough, he will become a member of the space pirate clan.

Next session we head off into the nebula to complete our actual mission but I don't give a poo poo because there's no way it can top Maximus, Wedding-Crasher and Conquerer of Space Pirates.

This is all going to end in tears. Also, possibly ovipositors.

Pirate clans of the outer darkness get some wierd stable mutations, just gonna point that out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TehWarsmith posted:

UPDATE ON MAXIMUS, CONQUERER OF SPACE PIRATES

He got into a fight with the GM about his pirate bride sneaking off and hiding in the lower decks and then when he found her again he had an argument with the captain and then executed her.

Welp

drat, I was holding out for ovipositor.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

That's because my insanity manifests as both fanatical loyalty to the Emperor and rampant paranoia. I'm smitten with the Grey Knight and he's believed my stories about how I "purified" my "psychic rituals" so they're totally not heretical, no way!

The paranoia also means I can kill any member of the party, given a full action. Psychic supremacy! :black101:

Ascension: Only Slightly Less Busted Than Epic Level 3.5 D&D.

(this is exactly why every single book printed since Dark Heresy has not featured the Biomancy discipline, because it is busted as gently caress.)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SlothBear posted:

Thanks to everyone who found maps!

I guess it was. I just got the impression reading Black Crusade that there was a lot more to the setting than just that, but I guess it's all sort of unmapped and left up to us to create, which is fine.

Also Black Crusade is amazing even though its taking me like a month to read.

Between the four FFG settings, they've got a pretty well-designed mini-universe.

Way way up in the galactic northwest lies the Calixis Sector, where Dark Heresy is set. It's a fully inhabited Imperial Sector, with a host of worlds and politics and so on and so on, whose chief Scary Thing is the Tyrant Star, a phantom green sun (that may or may not just be eclipses) whose appearances coincide with Wierd poo poo happening.

To the galactic west of the Calixis Sector lies a massive warp storm. A few centuries ago someone found a way through it into the Koronus Expanse, where Rogue Trader is set. Beyond Footfall Station on the opposite end of the Maw, it's the wild frontier. Eldar, Orks, Chaos, and a few dead alien races like the Yu'Vath dwell there, and humanity's most money-grubbing and brightest are alternately fighting, trading, and looting all of them and each other at the same time. Their chief Scary Thing is the Hazeroth Abyss, on the far end of the Expanse, from which only one ship has ever returned.

Hidden within the Maw separating Koronus and Calixis is a warp gate leading across the galaxy to the Jericho Reach, where Deathwatch is set. The Jericho Reach has a big old crusade going on, and is currently a three-front war. Nids to the north, Tau to the south, and a big-ol Gonna Grow Up To Be A Nasty loving Warp Storm Soon in the middle.

And to the galactic southwest of Footfall Station, in the Koronus Expanse, lies the Screaming Vortex where Black Crusade happens. All the Chaos you can shake a stick at, but the Eldar and the Necrons occasionally wander on in to poke each other and also the dread champions of Chaos with sticks.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Allow me to refer you to my fifty page Non-Disclosure Agreement that's dense with legalese and festooned with the sigils of the Ruinous Powers...

Look the section about you being reduced to a gibbering pile of mouths wailing for a death that will not come is -clearly- just standard legal boilerplate.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The Vommarine's Oath.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Turtle before the Storm posted:

How do you guys handle doling out experience if its play by post? Is it too slow if I give a rank per mission? Too much?

PBP goes at a glacial enough pace. For Dark Heresy, I'd say a rank per mission easy. For Rogue Trader and Deathwatch I'd say half a rank per mission, with bonuses for neat stuff.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'm going to be running Rogue Trader soon and the Explorator wants to become Doc Ock. Is there anything that limits the number of mechadendrites a player can have?

Toughness bonus. The cool kids cut off their arms and ask for two more mechadendrites for them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

Medic is the most boring class/speciality in an RPG ever made.

"Ok Bob, I got wounded in that last fight where I used my assault training to take out a bunker full of enemy special forces, now it's your time to shine!"

-rolls Medicae skill of 32-

This is why you give Apothecaries Chem-Use, Demolitions, and that poison special ability, turning them into a horrifying corpse McGuyver.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't play any of these games actively right now, but I had this idea for a Salamander character inspired by a long-ago White Dwarf issue Chapter Approved for the Salamanders that pointed out (correctly in my view) that traditional assault marine tactics didn't jibe at all with their style or even work very well on a world known for its wildly fluctuating gravity.

So in the chapter-approved, a lot of the assault marines ended up fighting with thunder hammers and/or flamers and meltas, and no jump packs at all, working more closely with the tactical squads than normal. So naturally this got me thinking about an assault marine character from the Salamanders who would not, in fact, have a jump pack or a chain sword.

Then I saw the Salamander rules in First Founding which are, in my opinion, insulting. Okay, I know, everyone has their favorites and the Sallies are my favorite First Founding dudes, but they got the shaft really drat hard in the First Founding book. If I recall they had one (1) melee weapon which was basically a snazzy chainsword, one ranged weapon which was basically a heavy flamer but worse, and the one super-iconic wargear they had to have, the Salamander's Mantle, ended up with a "counts as" rule.

The extra tech use and toughness stats are really appreciated, I won't fault anything there, but the chapter... trait, I think it was called? was Resist Heat. I think if you level up enough you get to be actually resistant to fire damage. Okay, but that's 1: boring and 2: makes no drat sense. How often is Resist Heat going to come up in a game compared to an interesting trait? How do Salamanders get fireproof skin? Couldn't they have had some kind of bonus to using flame weapons or something, something that made sense and could be flavorful? Oh, and their Primarch's Curse gives them worse cohesion penalties than the Iron Hands'. Salamanders - worse than the Iron Hands at working with allies.

But this next thing is just great; it really sets the tone for the Salamanders treatment through the whole book. In the included scenario, the Killteam lands on a volcanic world in constant tectonic flux, with massive volcanic eruptions and earthquakes all over the drat place. To recognize that one First Founding chapter hails from exactly this kind of planet, the book gives a +10 bonus to navigation test to... Space Wolf characters.

I know there are people who work at FFG in some capacity in the thread and I have to say from what I've seen the company has done a great job with all these titles. I have to admit I don't even own this title that I'm complaining about, but, but the Salamanders... Three pieces of wargear. The other chapters have how many? Heat resist is ever going to get used? The volcano planet gives a bonus to Space Wolves?

But what I was really, really hoping to see in there was what I mentioned at the beginning of this post, now rant. Some alternative assault squad rules.

So for people who actually have gotten to play this game and have some experience: how hard would it be to get a Salamander assault marine character a thunder hammer and/or storm shield as standard issue?

And if you think that's not ambitious enough, how about that storm shield being made out of a big shieldlike salamander skull? These Deathwatch guys are supposed to be badasses already, and Salamanders kill like three salamanders before breakfast on a normal day already, so I'm thinking this guy took an especially impressive specimen back to his forge, dipped its skull in adamantium, and then built a storm shield field emitter into the underside/brain cavity. You have to admit, building wargear out of dragon skulls is kind of what the Salamanders live for.

So if you're still thinking, "okay, that's not really overpowered or unrealistic in Deathwatch" how about we stick a flamer through the skull's nasal passages so the nozzle sits just inside one nostril hole, and the pilot burns in the other, and then connect the whole drat thing to a backpack tank through the foramen magnum. I guess in the rules you'd call that an arm-mounted flamer that is also a storm shield, depending on how you want to use it that turn.

So now you're looking at an assault marine who doesn't have any of his normal assault marine wargear, and instead has a thunder hammer in one hand, and a flamer/storm shield in the other hand, and probably a bolt pistol, and a Salamander's Mantle of course. I mean just duh. I don't think they even let you into Salamander meetings unless you're wearing pieces of at least three different native reptiloids.

Oh and he probably would need like, an entirely new advance scheme, because he sure as hell isn't touching all those dual wielding attack skills or anything that mentions rending damage.

So GMs, how game-shattering is this guy, and how much XP would you have to spend to convince someone to let him take that poo poo? I think it's pretty fluffy but I can see it being somewhat unorthodox. Crush my dream. Or don't.

There is no tl;dr. The post is not coherent enough for that.

Thunder Hammer from step one: yeah no. Storm Shield from step one: yeah no. That's pretty high-level wargear right there.

Could see Salamanders Assault Marines swapping out the jetpack for a free Combat Shield though. And the adamantium-dipped storm-shield-that's-also-a-drake-skull-with-built-in-flamer is Samalander-y enough that I'm kinda shocked it didn't make it in as one of the relics.

Oh yeah to be fair the Salamanders did get a pretty nice piece of wargear in Rites of Battle, it just wasn't explicitly theirs. The Triflame Vambrace is a wrist-mounted heavy flamer that can also be set to meltagun. It's about as salamander-y as things can get.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

InfiniteJesters posted:

What if you bump into some Grey Knights FIGHTING a Bloodthirster? :v:

Anyone who does not poo poo themselves in terror will be quickly used by one side or the other as a delicious mid-fight Blood Of The Mighty pick-me-up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Combat shotguns absolutely wreck anything that doesn't have much in the way of armor.

The second something pops out the Unnatural Toughness or something carapace-armor grade, captain von shotgunhaver goes to poo poo in a hurry.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Karma Guard posted:

Well, good thing they're going to be dealing with things with armor. The Cleric's best friend (outside of the Emperor) is her Combat Shotgun. It's beastly.

Redemptionism is the light, my friend. In both a metaphorical, spiritual sense and a literal, burning, screaming, dying sense.

There's a bit in one of the published adventures for deathwatch where you run across an Imperial missionary. There's a big diplomatic Thing that goes to poo poo, and the adventure notes that his table is doing just fine courtesy of the Missionary's rallying his table to fight the enemy while laying waste to them with a flamethrower. There is the beautiful moment where the part of you that is still a sane human being asks "why the hell would a cleric bring his flamethrower to a peaceful diplomatic function," and the part of you that is into 40K responds "because it would be weird to borrow someone else's. duh."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Miruvor posted:

Does anyone have advice for which psyker rules to use when running a DH campaign now? I'd kinda like to avoid that outcome.

Easy Way: Axe the Biomancy discipline. It does not exist, you cannot take powers from it, gently caress you.

Has A Conversion Guide Way: Use the Rogue Trader rules; they include a conversion guide for DH powers to RT powers. Also, axe the Biomancy discipline. It does not exist, you cannot take powers from it, gently caress you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

I combined Seal Wounds and Regeneration into one power myself (asked the DM for permission and all); basically, Regeneration with Seal Wounds' Overbleed and basic effect. Still handy, but doesn't make you gamebreakingly unkillable.

No, if you're looking for gamebreaking, the Telepathic and Divination Disciplines are where it's at. Scanning Auras is like Detect Evil, except a little more effective, and don't get me started on Psychometry.

I have a player Librarian with those powers. Fortunately, he is a Rune Priest, and so I can obfuscate the answers to all of his questions behind what the runes are telling him.

"What is the most dangerous enemy we will face?" prior to gaining requisition.

Degrees of success: three. So three Runes. Four makes one rune unambiguous.

"The runes show Treachery descending, Sloth ascendant, and the Fortress ascending. So Sloth is your most dangerous enemy, caused by Treachery, in the context of the Fortress."

A field of Necron Monoliths (the Fortress), whose activation cascade's been kick-started courtesy of a bit of treachery (duh), will stand between you and your objective at one point. It will help to be able to run like hell.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

The thing about Psychic Powers, especially in Deathwatch, is they are so expensive and you get so few of them, that you have to toe the line. On one hand it's totally gamebreaking to say "yep, it's the Imperial Guard Commander that's gonna be your most deadly foe here." But on the other hand you can't just go all vague and Mystic Meg on them, waving your hand and go "your true enemy will be YOURSELVES!"

...because then they would quite rightly demand their XP back.

Completely true. You have to make sure there's something worthwhile in there.

Also, if they succeed like crazy, make sure to just break down and reveal exactly what it is they're looking for. Guy rolled an 01 on Lifting the Veil in a ransacked room.

"The runes tell the story of this thing reaching back a century or so, highlights conveniently marked out. It's largely boring up until about two months ago, when [PERSON1] got it, and then 3 weeks ago, when [PERSON2] took it from him by force, and used it to do [BAD THING], burning it out in the process. [PERSON2] was probably headed back to where the thing was originally found by [PERSON1] to find another. Probably a good idea to stop 'em."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Yes, the alien technology is considered inherently unclean, in principle just as bad as a daemon weapon. Dressing up a daemon weapon as a Imperial relic might fool people too, but it doesn't make it less heretical. Even incorporating an alien part into a production line of otherwise Imperial weapons would be heresy, and no one will think a weapon with dramatically different operation from any they've seen isn't at least a little suspicious. Of course, some clients will need to be conned into believing just this (if you're willing to con entire PDFs and militias into heresy).

Likewise, selling fake alien relics and technology is punishable as if they were real.

Counterpoint: it's not heresy if you've been trained by the AdMech to do exactly that for decades.

The Resolviate Crucible is a faction of the Adeptus Mechanicus dedicated to finding a way to purify xenos technology so that it might be both used and replicated for the glory of the Imperium. Nobody trusts the Crucible's tech-priests farther than they can throw them, but the Lord Militant Achilus considered them a possible ace in the hole given the Tau presence in the Jericho Reach.

The Deathwatch is occasionally called on for field-consecration of a new Crucible weapons system. The theory goes that no machine spirit is going to dare sass one of the Holy Astartes, and if it dares to they stand the best chance of surviving to report exactly how things went wrong. Basically to figure out how to use the Resolviate Crucible in a Deathwatch game, think R&D from Paranoia and you won't be far wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Scoobi posted:

He is a tech priest and this is a really easy way to hook his character into receiving MORE augmentation to repair the damage. Dark Heresy is unforgiving, but the warhammer universe is so hosed up there are plenty of ways to resolve something in a way that is satisfactory in terms of consequence for the GM and character resolution for the player.

In terms of 'session resolution', depending on how augmented he is you could have had the brunt of the burst eat up his components, and force the players to scramble for black market replacements while the tech priest leaks oil and synthetic blood all over the floor, give him some penalties and make it so he receives heavy negative reactions from civilians and non-mech Imperium people.

Fond memories of one of my Deathwatch players deciding he was going to use his force staff to bat away an incoming plasma grenade. And rolling a 99 on the attempt.

That was the day Rune-Priest Albius became Albius Iron-Arm.

Also, the time that the Dark Angel sergeant decided he was going to hold off the rapidly incarnating horde of miscellaneous nurgle-y Daemons on his lonesome. Context is a mite spoilery for one of the published adventures: Okay so you know how in The Emperor Protects the climactic mission is heading to a corrupted forge-world? Our Heroes head straight for the big ol' Grinding Psykers Into Grist For Turning Tech-Priests Into Cut-Rate Thousand Sons device. They engage the sorceror who's running the thing. I have him Push his first psychic attack, and as per table tradition, I walk over to where the book is held to roll psychic phenomena. [I'd incidentally changed the story a bit: the sorceror was a thought-lost Deathwatch guy from the Dark Angels, who'd made a deal with the sorceror running the whole show that he'd do the Thousand Sons' bidding if they made sure the thing he was supposed to keep locked up was kept locked up.]
He rolls the "A Daemon Prince incarnates" result.
In a place full of psykers dying and surrounded by toxic sludge.

He actually makes it until the Speeder's within range to pick him up, when a plaguebearer gets him in the face with a plaguesword and crit-takes off the majority of his face.

What followed was the Chacharodon Apothecary grabbing the Scout he'd made (long story- I ran the scout as an NPC) and dangling him over the side of the Speeder in order to grab the falling Dark Angel. As a generous DM, I don't make them roll for this, it's just that sweet. What does get rolled on is the Apothecary telling Iron-Arm "You drive" while he gets to tending the wounds his brother has suffered.

He rolls crazy well, and so it ends up being narrated as he's hacking into the Dark Angel like he would into one of the enemies of the emperor, plagued flesh flying everywhere, large segments of the guy's face and upper torso coming clean off and having fast-sealing plastic applied to stop larger segments of the bleeding, and the initiate just watching with huge-rear end eyes. Eventually, Apothecary Marko is done, turns to the initiate, and explains "And that, Initiate, is the Emperor's Trial of Pain. Hope you will face it as well as he."

Maiming: It's Half The Fun!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 9, 2012