Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Looks like Nan's gaming has the 2011 retention kit now for the Thermalright heatsinks. Also, the True Spirit that they sell is another really good heatsink, from the reviews I've seen. I'll most likely be throwing on of those on a q9550 that I have laying around and use it as a server. The 120mm version is only $30, which is a great price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ShaneB posted:

What's insane to me is how FAST the cores claim temp changes. Dropping 40-50C in a few seconds when load drops from highest to 0.

The core is pretty small, you remove the source of heat and it will dissipate pretty quick. It doesn't sound like the heatsink is going to handle much more of an overclock though.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Stuff like Prime 95 small FFT and intel burn test pushes the CPU past anything that it will see in any day-to-day situation, right? My system is stable at 4.3ghz running those, but the CPU can hit ~95 or so due to my employment of the Hyper 212 vs something more beefy. It idles in the 30s, though.

CPU is probably throttling, if you are getting that hot. Note the Gflops in IBT and compare them as you lower your overclock a bit and test some more to test for throttling. You'll see the Glops increase as you lower the speed, if it is.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

highme posted:

So after about a month+ running my 4670k at 4.4ghz with an H100i doing the CPU cooling, it seems like my cpu cooler is constantly pegged and is much louder than what I expected a liquid cooler to be. Is 2330ish RPM what I should expect on the pump?

Well it is only 37 degrees, why not slow the fan way down if it is loud?