Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
No need to risk it with razor blades, or spend money on delilding tools, all you need is a vice. I delidded my 3770K that way.

Not the dumb method where you smack the thing with a hammer, but instead setting it offset inbetween the jaws, so the heatspreader is slowly pushed off as you tighten the vice.

Then you just need a plastic scraper and some alcohol to clean the glue off everything. You have a 3570K as a fallback, you've nothing to lose!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hold The Ashes posted:

I'm curious to know what opinions there are for using a Noctua cooler with a single tower would be for a 9700-9900k. Since they're going to be soldered and I'll only be OC'ing to probably 5ghz at most, do you think I could get away with using a smaller cooler? I've exclusively used their DH14 and 15's for the past decade so I have no idea what a smaller one would do, I'm just tired of half my motherboard being taken up by the behemoths.

Specifically I'm thinking of a NH-U14S, could even do push/pull with it and it would still end up way smaller than a DH15.

Soldering be damned, we're talking more cores than Intel's ever before put on their mainstream platform. It's going to get hot at those clock speeds.
Why would you want to downgrade your cooler? The NH-D15S is the one to get, it doesn't get in the way of your first PCIe slot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Humerus posted:

I'm very new to overclocking but I'm trying to put off an upgrade until Zen2 launches (and maybe beyond?) so I'm overclocking my i5-3570k. I have an Asus P8Z77 mobo and I currently have my CPU at 4.2GHz, running Prime95 with max temp around 80C.

Questions:
Even at idle, all cores of my CPU are at 4.2GHz. Is that normal for overclocking?
I have XMP enabled for my RAM (sticker frequency: 1600MHz) but HWInfo is showing the clock at 800MHz. Have I done something wrong?

It should idle just as before, not locked at 4.2. If the only thing you changed was the turbo ratio (as you should have done), then it shouldn't affect speedstep..
800MHz is just another way of saying 1600MHz in this case, DDR.. (Double Data Rate) transmits data both on the rise and fall of each clock cycle, so it's effectively twice the speed of the actual frequency it runs at. 1600MHz is 800MHz in marketing speak, in other words.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Humerus posted:

So it's been a few days of me fiddling with settings in BIOS and my CPU is just constantly running at max...until I found a post about Windows power modes and the High Performance setting makes your CPU run at 100% all the time. Turned that off and now it idles correctly.

Thanks for all the hand holding guys, overclocking was so much easier than I thought.

Ohhh... yeah I forgot to mention that possibility, simply because you seemed to imply the problem occurred only after overclocking. High Performance just locks the minimum state to 100% and stops steedstep from working.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

eames posted:

FWIW Noctua released a new NH-U12A cooler with 7 heatpipes, 37% more surface area and new fans. It is quite expensive. Going by their previous statements it performs within margin of error of a NH-D15S but we'll have to wait for reviews.

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-presents-nh-u12a-premium-class-120mm-cpu-cooler

I'm just drooling over those new fans... I remember now, the ones with the new compound so they were even stiffer and had even tighter tolerances.

If only my PC didn't already have 7 Noctuas (of the older variety)... I just can't find a use for more...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

B-Mac posted:

Argus monitor.

Yup. Ever since Speedfan ceased to be updated, this paid alternative is the best thing I could find, too.