Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tbh i only like whole chickpeas when they're cooked to the point of being a little creamy. instant pot or other handy pressure cooker is a great way to get there in about an hour from unsoaked raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My butter keeps falling out of the butter bell and into the water. How do I prevent this? It seems kind of stupid that it's supposed to hold butter but doesn't

If it happens you have to invert it, let the butter soften, pack it in, then let it firm up a little. Honestly I hate them and prefer the other kind, especially because oxidation is only happening on a thin surface layer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

:same:

Butter bells seem too fussy. I'm also a family of four so butter doesn't stick around forever so a butter dish is fine for us.

even then the answer is to just not set as much out if that's a problem.

(i was forced to use a butter bell which now sits completely forgotten about in the basement)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Scientastic posted:

But neither of these methods involve direct contact between the water and the butter, and nor inverting your butter over anything! Presumably the aim with both is to seal and cool your butter, neither of these are techniques for having spreadable butter ready to go? I fully appreciate that not exposing butter to air is desirable, I just don’t understand why, especially in the age of refrigeration and shop-bought butter, why you would want to pack butter into a bell and suspend it upside-down... If you’re making all your butter yourself, yes firkin, but otherwise, fridge and butter dish is the way to go!

I guess we just use a lot more butter than I realised and live in a country that’s not hot enough, I’ve literally never had butter go bad, and was just surprised to see that the butter bell is apparently a real thing that people use.

I will stop now: no-one cares about my astonishment at discovering something other people have known about for over a hundred years.

Honestly mostly I just have half a block of butter sitting open on the countertop that I knife up over the course of the week.

I've never had butter 'go bad' but it definitely changes in flavour after a while presumably mostly as a result of oxidation. Tbh I think the dish (vs bell) is the way to go if you aren't storing your butter in brine. Makes me wish stick butter wasn't sold for 50% more here since one stick is the perfect size / shape to leave out for spreadability.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The best part about the butter bells imo is that they do a great job of protecting against scent absorption, which butter is good at. But most people don't need to worry about it.

Sur la table was always mildly fun to walk through when friends and partners were looking at stores in a strip mall. I don't think I've ever bought more than a spatula at one, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just leave my butter on the butter dish, and it's fine even in Vegas summer. It's good for toast. It doesn't smell weird. I go through about a stick a week like that.

Really this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I bet there's a noticeable change in the smell or taste unless it's reasonably cool most of the time. But that doesn't necessarily mean bad; sometimes it just makes it taste more like butter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Maybe I will... I would need two though. My son is coeliac so we have GF and unclean spreadable butters then a block of normal butter for cooking and baking which stays GF. I feel like our countertops are cluttered enough already.

If you trust yourselves, you could consider keeping the butter dish always GF. If you need some for wheat bread, get a serving of butter first and take it from there, which I think is more reasonable with a stick of butter versus a bowl of pre-spreadable stuff. You can also just keep the dish inside of the cabinets if you have room; it doesn't have to sit out.

Anyway GF chat, made some gluten-free brioche recently for some friends that socially distant came over for ribs the other night. Worked well, tasted / texture was more like a quick roll or other super buttery bread vs traditional brioche, but it got the thumbs up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gin is just too flavoured for some people.

now if you want to make this chili spicy, just add a half tsp of ground black pepper

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unpopular opinion i think tonic is loving gross

that said gin is nice with soda and lime

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I heard tonic cures COVID-19.

well gently caress me rip then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I didn’t respond. I appreciate the suggestion but it’s a solution in search of a problem. Separate spreadable butters works perfectly.

Fever Tree is good. Schweppes used to be ok but some years ago they started using artificial sweetener even in the regular tonic and it’s now gross.

oh yes i don't think you should change at all, this was merely thinking about potential future rattlesbutterdishpurchases. honestly for most eating on bread stuff, i actually think spreadable butters cut with oil are more than good enough :V

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

If you have a way to make ice cream a beet sorbet can be kinda nice. Brighten it up with some citrus juice.
Cook beets however you normally do puree them adjust sweetness, acid, salt etc...

It's also a good ice cream or custard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be honest i still think they taste overwhelmingly of geosmin but i enjoy them as an ingredient in things

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Congrats, dude!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Update: had the baby. My review:

Just like a food blogger, births need to get to the point a lot quicker. Just like butter, making babies homemade is worth it.

Surprisingly good food at the hospital, great nurses, but gently caress 3/4 of the doctors we interacted with, bedside manner-wise

"babby healthy, somewhat messy. too loud for conversation. TERRIBLE RETURN POLICY. 2 stars."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Probably not what you want to hear but I recommend making your own flour blends and then seeing which one makes the best pasta, as some of these are really geared to specific purposes. Then your pasta making (say, egg-based noodles) can just be a pasta recipe and not some recipe-specific blend. This also means that when a commercial blend inevitably makes a change, all of your recipes won’t suddenly start acting differently.

Ideas in food turned me on to adding skim milk powder as a source for protein and it works well - although now I have a kitchen full of weird protein powders to play with so it might not be as necessary as it once was (also problematic for vegans and allergics).

Most of these blends are some combination of rice flours, exotic flours (e.g. amaranth, sorghum, buckwheat), sometimes milk powders, and binding gums in the form of xanthan or guar.

I haven’t done a pasta in a long time, but I’d do percentages of brown rice flour, sticky rice flour, sorghum flour, maybe some milk powder or pea protein, plus a good helping of xanthan. Then once you have a good mix, try just making pasta with it and see how it responds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I cannot, but if you like them you can always pour vodka into sunscreen if you run out

what

oh haha. it took me a second reading to parse this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Farmer's market eggs are usually the same price as the bougie grocery store brand and you can usually go visit them to see their digs if you like, Portlandia style

not much use for male chicks on a farm all the time either though chances are good they aren't going to be boiled or ground to death

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this would be a good exhibit in a food museum: i have basically zero desire to ever eat that but i liked reading about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Enfys posted:

Cottage cheese is so good mixed with all kinds of different things. Experiment with mixing things in there, and you'll be surprised at some of the delicious combos.

I love a little pepper and some diced tomatoes (though I guess with oxalate you might have been told to avoid them). Also good with cucumbers and radish, scallion, bell peppers.

You can also mix sweet things in for a sweet and salty taste - berries, apples, etc.

You don't have to feel you need to eat a big bowl of curds but can just add a few spoonfuls to a bowl of fruit or veg for a snack.

big fan of cottage cheese and canned peaches

also big fan of 2% smooth cottage cheese, which is almost just a different flavoured greek yogurt or maybe skyr.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eat cheese live forever. Eat cheese never die.

i think there's a link between high casein consumption and prostate cancer he says, finishing off the 5oz of mozzarella he had for breakfast

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elephunk posted:

I'm doing a homemade pizza for the first time today, but the recipe just ends with "each ball will make a 10 inch pizza" and doesn't do too much more for the cooking explanation..

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017931-pizza-dough

I'll probably have to use a sheet pan, I don't have a round pizza one that's for sure. Do I grease the pan at all if I'm putting this fresh dough on top of it?

i can’t access the directions but the formula seems normal. personally i’d roll or pull or spin the dough out, put it in the well-greased pan (or, better, just line it with parchment), then top and let it rise a few minutes. then bake it in the oven preheated to as hot as you can get it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elephunk posted:

It went pretty well! I had "enough dough for two 10" diameter pizzas" and the best pan I had was a big, quality restaraunt that was probably 18x24".''

Stretching dough for pizza is frustrating; it rose in the fridge overnight and then covered on the kitchen table for two hours before I tried to work with it. I thought I would have leftover dough but I wound up using it all to fill out the sheet pan (and patched some holes, etc.).

Didn't have parchment paper so it was just the thick sheet pan and a liberal olive oil treatment before the dough went on. No pre-heat on the pan but the oven was about as hot as we could get it. This is the worst oven I've ever rented though, it goes to "500" but I don't believe it really gets that hot.

Bottom didn't have enough color but it was quite edible for a first-ever pizza attempt. Pre-heating a better pan and the parchment paper will probably help get color on the bottom. Didn't expect working the dough to be that frustrating, I knew I wasn't gonna be tossing it in the air like a cartoon but it took a good 30 minutes to make that rectangle of dough.

sounds like it went pretty well just the same! i guess you could do some side by sides but I’m a little skeptical that pre-heating a thin sheet pan is really going to do a whole lot. if you could immediately get the dough on and back in the oven, like all within 30 seconds, it might help a little. also, obviously, thinner doughs and fewer toppings will cook sooner.

if the dough is feeling tight, just cover it and walk away for 15 minutes, then come back to prep. additionally, you can add a little ascorbic acid and it makes dough really easy to roll out. it’s often pre-added to some yeast packets, if you don’t want to buy a bottle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elephunk posted:

It's a pretty thick restaraunt quality steel sheet. I already turned it a very different color following Ina Garten's roast chicken recipe so I'm not scared of nuking it. I would be more worried about safely getting the pizza/parchment onto the super hot pan without a burn.

if you don't have a peel, use the back of another sheet pan, if you have it, to slide the pizza off. since you'll have some time, i recommend cutting the parchment away past a half inch or so of the dough. it can burn and while i wouldn't say it's really a fire hazard, it can be annoying since it disintegrates if you look at it in a stern fashion

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea where to ask this, so I'll try asking here: I legitimately enjoy fortune cookies as a cookie. They're nice and light, and have just the right amount of crunch and sweetness. Does anyone know where to get bulk, unwrapped fortune cookies? I say unwrapped because I know you can get packs of them individually wrapped but that's kind of stupid/wasteful. Alternatively, is there an equivalent cookie/biscuit that is effectively the same recipe, minus the fortune cookie gimmick?

you don’t want to get them unwrapped. they will rapidly absorb water, leaving them chewy instead of crunchy. just accept this as a cost of doing business; in the grand scheme of things this is not so bad.

that said they are available in bulk both wrapped and unwrapped in my experience from supply companies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

good recipes for Vienna sausages.

hooo. not my thing.

you could spread them on toast with some diced cooked/raw onion. i'm not sure about recipes, really, they're more of a ready-to-eat thing. i bet you could use them as the base of a pate, maybe, too. probably a good breakfast food served in a full breakfast sense.

cut in half, breaded, and deep fried?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Get one that has its own compressor so you don't have to put the bowl in the freezer.
They never stay cold enough to properly churn ice cream.
I got mine by watching the shop goodwill auctions site like a hawk until I got one at a price I could live with.

i'm sorry you have had troubles with them in the past, but this is completely wrong. the freezer inserts - assuming you keep your freezer at ~ -20/-4 - do an absolutely superb job with making ice cream, often surpassing the compressor machines. if you're quick, you can even do two batches, but that's pushing it. the singular downside is the freezing ahead, which puts a crimp on making multiple batches in one day (you can buy more bowls, though).

excellent bird guy posted:

Can you make ice cream/gelato/whatever without sugar? Sugar bad. I'd like get pure leaf stevia and try to blend it into a puree or something off the wall like that if I needed sweet. Or go full nutso and use ginger, make it a little hot and tart instead of sweet.

yes. sugar, as mentioned, accomplishes a few things in ice cream: it sweetens, it adds to the texture, and it lowers the freezing point of your base. if you're going to replace the sugar, you need to figure out how to make up for the lack of all of those things. but that's easier to do these days, thanks to the power of modern chemistry.

you're going to want to use a blend of sweeteners to replace the sugar. get your hands on erythritol (if you use 100% erythritol, your ice cream will be rock hard), polydextrose, allulose, and liquid sucralose, monkfruit, or stevia. Erythritol, with its small molecule, is great at freezing point depression, while polydextrose (bulk, texture, no sweetness), and allulose (bulk, texture, sweetness) also work to replace the physical effects of sugar and preventing the recrystallization of erythritol. Those three, together, should add up to the same volumetric amount of sugar in your ice cream base (for the record, i like less sweet ice creams, so my bases are always 4:2:1 milk:cream:sugar before any additives). generally the erythritol goes in at 1:2 or 1:3 vs the rest of the granular/powdered sweeteners.

none of them are as sweet as sugar, though, so you'll use the liquid super sweeteners to dial in the actual flavour sweetness that you prefer in your ice creams (remembering that cold inhibits flavour release and things will taste less sweet when cold).

after that you can proceed as normal. i like using the fairlife coke milk because it's 6g of sugar for a cup, making the whole base very low. you can add small amounts of gums or stabilizers (including yolks, if thats not an issue) with a negligible effect on the carb count. if everything's good but it's still a little bit too hard, a tablespoon or two of a neutral, high-proof spirit (such as vodka) will serve admirably.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 15, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Because it's an interesting question and a valid choice to go low or no sugar?

yes which is why i responded but petracore is right; "no sugar, i know, ginger" will lead to terrible ice cream.

now, on the other hand, ginger ice cream is good...but it needs to be sweet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

prayer group posted:

Oh man, growing up in Michigan we'd make vanilla ice cream floats with Vernors ginger ale and call it a Boston Cooler. No idea why it's called that, but a Boston Cooler ice cream with ginger and vanilla would be really good.

would. we just had brown/black cows (root beer floats) and red cows (red cream soda floats).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i just want to chime in again with a defense of freezer bowl ice cream makers. they will often beat out compressor machines below the musso level. they're also a lot easier to clean, as some compressor machines don't allow for removing the bowl in which the ice cream is made. they're super easy to use and make good ice cream. honestly the only pre planning you have to do is freezing and i scrape out my ice cream (into a bowl for hardening), rinse out the bowl, and put it back in the freezer. it's very manageable.

if you really want a compressor machine, by all means buy one. i just don't want people to think they're at all required to make good or easy ice cream.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

They're also a great excuse to get a garage fridge/freezers so you can keep the bowl frozen the whole time

agreed but i bought the accessory freezer for zero defrost storage of a quarter beef and premade foods. i actually keep the ice cream bowls in the kitchen freezer :V

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t understand how people eat peanut butter without salt. almost all the Canadian peanut butter is unsalted. terrible.

pb chat: food processors make pretty good but butters, though a wet grinder is where it’s at. also: pecan butter is everything you like about peanut butter, except better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Peanut butter in savoury dishes is fantastic.

aside from things like satays and groundnut soups, etc., i am partial, from my school lad days, to dipping a toasted peanut butter sandwich into chili

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Can't imagine ordering something called that, maybe a pet peeve but wish places would name their menu like adults if it's adult food.

???

lol stop being so uptight, man. goober's an old word for a peanut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

There is a cafe near us that does what I think is the best sandwich: smoked mozzarella, peanut butter and sweet chili jam. It’s amazing. The non-veg version uses bacon.

i was just gonna say that it reminded me of a childhood favourite, which is peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. sometimes peanut butter and banana. sometimes all three. i’ll eat just about anything with peanut butter at least once.