Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've had a genuine actual doctor tell me that regular superglue is safe enough for small cuts, and is actually preferable to stitches in some circumstances, especially clean cuts on hands. This is no help for Nosmo, but useful information nonetheless.

I always keep a fresh tube of superglue and a pack of steri-strips in my knife roll, so that I can forget they're there when I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

The eldest child decided to run in grandma's house in socks on a hardwood floor.

Slip and whack head into the corner of the baseboard.

Several staples to close her scalp.

Unless she loses her hair or shaves her head, nobody will ever notice the honkin' sized scar on her noggin.

If anyone else in your family has an accident this week, someone is going to jail for child abuse. :-)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Darval posted:

Are you saying "Oh no my muscles are too big for my clothes!" in a internet food thread?

I should probably visit W&W more often...

so THAT'S why my jeans don't fit anymore! My love handle and rear end muscles are just too mighty.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

What is a "c" and what is an "HEB"? I'm just wondering what that translates to in United Statesian.
I used to pay about a $1.29/lb. USD for whole small chickens and the supermarket but I now pay about $2 at the butcher because I'm part of the solution and all that poo poo that bags you hippie chicks or whatever.

If you're joking I don't get it, so I'm going to take you literally.

c is "cents" and HEB is a texas-based grocery chain.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

Monsanto is leading a lecture on seed saving and on non-GMO heirloom seeds.

I can't even tell what's sarcasm anymore.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus, I am completely ignoring you and your son in the sincere hope that my cursed luck stays the gently caress away from your family.

(for those of us just joining us, I am flypaper for disaster.)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Walk Away posted:

Does anyone have a good New England-style clam chowder recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I can tell you how I (a genuine Mainer) make chowder, but I can't give you more than approximate amounts of things. Here is a list of things that do not belong in a traditional chowder:

tomatoes (this is non-negotiable)
scallions
red potatoes (debatable)
corn
mushrooms
WATER
dried clams
pasta
flour

I use:
salt pork (other cured pork can be subbed in a pinch)
yellow onion
russet potatoes
Sea Watch brand canned clams (fresh is better, but SO much work)
liquid from canned clams
evaporated milk (helps boil-proof the chowder)
cream (optional, sort of)
pepper
salt to taste
crackers to crumble in as garnish.

I like to add white fish to my chowder- something flaky and tender like flounder. I toss the fish and clams in right before I take the chowder off the heat. Russet potatoes help thicken the chowder. They can add a bit of a grainy texture, but that's what I grew up with, so I don't find it offputting. Clam chowder shouldn't be overwhelmingly fatty or thick.

Hope this helps!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

See, Phummus, the Terminator was right!

(I now resume vigorous ignoring)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Scientastic posted:

That's pretty much what we're going to be doing, too. He still doesn't seem to be too interested in food yet, but we sit him at the table with us when we eat, so hopefully he'll start showing a bit more interest soon.

Edit: And if he doesn't like the purées, I'm sure I can find a use for them... Parsnip purée with chilli-infused vodka?

Parsnip purée rules. If babby doesn't think so, just adult it up with some butter and salt and pepper and eat that poo poo with a pork chop.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

I never realized how basically lame my mom's cooking was until I started cooking for myself.

My mom is also a pretty horrible cook. But she tried really hard and did her best to put healthy food on the table every night, and cater to my horrible kid tastes and my dad's horrible Bostonian tastes. And it must have taken a lot of resolve to constantly do something that didn't come easy for her and wasn't always appreciated.

So now we have a symbiotic cooking relationship. When I visit she buys whatever groceries I want, I play around making terrines and other stuff I can't afford to do at home, and then dad does the dishes.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love wrought and all, but she's fooddumb about a lot of things.

edit: well, at least about two things...

edit 2: Put me in that there left column.

...says the krab apologist.

Far be it from me to disagree with Saint Fergus, but flat leaf is simply the superior parsley.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

Day 1 of quitting smoking and I am seconds away from caving at every moment of the day.

This sucks. I wish this was the 40's and it was acceptable to smoke everywhere with abandon.

Quitting smoking/getting on a diet simultaneously will prove to be a terrible decision.

It gets easier, I promise. I quit a few years ago and it is so worth it. I've saved over four grand since 2008.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Connie had a problem

And Dexter had a strange fetish

But after a stint at Dr. Drew's Catte Rehab (season 1), it's all good.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

Oh, that reminds me! I can get lobster for $2.50 a pound today.
Actually nothing reminded me of that; just wanted to brag.

It sucks for the lobstermen, but it means I can actually afford to try something new with lobster, even though I know that the two best lobster dishes are:
1. Some lobsters
2. Some lobster rolls
with
3. Lobster ravioli coming in as a very distant 3rd.

I'll probably try halved and grilled, scampi (the butter + garlic Ameritalian dish, not the European breaded + fried whatevers), benedict.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a shumai style dumpling?

Buy more than you think you need. If they're summer newshell lobsters you get less meat per inch, but it's way sweeter.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

yeah, it was pretty annoying last time I made a big batch of like 20 legs "The Traditional Way". I literally had to buy like 20lbs of unrendered duck fat from my butcher/farmers market, and render it all out. Well, that or pay like 40 bucks for a gallon of rendered duck fat, which gently caress that when raw duck fat is like .79c/lb.

anyways, I still ended up not having enough fat to fill all my jars, so I had to eat 5 of the legs within the first week or so period. :( oh god let me tell you it was horrible

hehe

What would you estimate four cups of rendered goose fat would cost? I need to know for insurance purposes.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

close to toast posted:

Has anyone here ever experienced steaks tasting distinctly soapy?

I was proud of myself for having (finally) settled the butter/no butter debate with my husband when searing rib-eyes, got a great crust on medium rare, and then the meat tastes of soap. Wtf. A bit of googling tells me improper aging is the most likely cause.

Edit: obv in the 'no butter unless at the very end' camp

What was the cut? Were they supposed to be "aged" steaks? Did you get them in a cryovac or styrofoam? Did you age them at all in your fridge? Were you using a very old nonstick pan? Was it a cast iron pan that hadn't been used in ages? Were you flipping with a rubber/plastic spatula? What (if anything) did you put in the pan, other than butter at the end? Do you use hand sanitizer a lot? How well do you wash your hands?

These would be the usual suspects. I think it's far more likely that something was on your steak, not in your steak.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Misanthrope-

Your tagline is exactly what goes through my mind when I look at your userpic. Is that intentional irony or am I supposed to find smug cheffy chef to be somehow menacing and/or badass? Are you smug cheffy chef? Thanks for your explanation, I can be a little slow sometimes and I really need to figure out which snap judgment to apply to you based on your av/tagline choice.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What a nice thread to come back to after a crazy weekend. I like it when everyone is nice to each other.

dino: hugs

So I got a call for a job interview with a huge multinational that Wiggles would probably burst into flames of righteous indignation were I to speak its name. The exec chef got my resume, but I have no idea what the job is. I'm sure they didn't say who they were in the ad, and it was craigslist so the ad is probably expired by now anyway. Is there any polite way to ask, or should I just wing it? It could only be for a small list of positions...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bombhand posted:

Well, I think you may have missed the boat for the best time to ask, but the question would be "I'm very sorry, I don't recall specifically applying for a job with your company. Was your ad listed under (company name) or was it a confidential listing? ... And what position is it I'm being considered for?"

Don't wing it if you have literally no idea what the job's going to be. Call up your contact if you have one and find out, because you don't want to show up unprepared for an interview. (I did this once! The job posting was totally vague, no useful info available by Internet detectiving, and I was too embarrassed to ask. And one of the first questions was basically "What's your expectation of this job's duties" or some poo poo. I did not get the job!)

I think I figured it out. I responded to one ad that mentioned no evenings and no weekends, so that's almost definitely it. Hours, pay, bennies and even the commute would be great, but it's not management and the food may well suck. Plus the company is seriously evil- to the point that would call into question my ethics re: sustainable food production. Why is it always the job you want the least that gets back to you first? Interview is either today or tomorrow, I guess I'll find out then, but I'm leaning toward no.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

HH you need to have about six more kids and start a traveling family band.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Walk Away posted:

You know, I've never made it with anything other than mozz. Maybe you could get a couple of different cheeses and do a few of each to see out they turn out. I'd be interested in the results. Gruyere might be delicious.

Just shred the gruyere (or other harder cheese) first. Good breading technique will help keep the balls from exploding.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I'd make a cheese sauce with sodium citrate and carrageenan, to be honest.

Well aren't you just special!! *cheek pinch* ;)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

We got married at the city hall, only witnessed by my wife's grandmother (who was sworn to secrecy), and a year after we redid it in the church.

We asked the minister (a female one), to inform the guests in her speech about the fact that they weren't at a wedding, but rather at a blessing of an already excisting marriage.

The bolded part is key. Mother-In-Law turned the quiet legal ceremony into an EVENT, my parents (whom I had specifically told not to be there) understandably flipped out. Then MIL decided she (and the rest of the fam) wasn't coming to the actual wedding because she had already seen us get married once, and my mother got so angry at me for telling her not to go to the courthouse and then trying to plan my own wedding (she wanted me to fly HER minister cross-country for the service. I had never met him) that she threw a tantrum and said she wouldn't go to the wedding either.

End result: Bride and Groom didn't get anything near the wedding they wanted, serious family resentments are born and a wedding dress hangs sadly unused in my closet. But my MIL finally got to live out the wedding she had always wanted!

Please, learn from my mistakes.

Jerry's Final Thought: We still ended up married. That's the important thing.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bartolimu posted:

The world would be a better place if everyone had to support themselves for at least one year working a tip-dependent job.

Word. Of course, best case scenario would be a world where everyone is paid a living wage for full-time work, but that's never going to happen in the US.

It's not even so much the wage instability as it is the attitude that it engenders in customers- that if they are not sufficiently impressed, the person serving them need not be paid more than $2.13/hr. Can you imagine that standard being applied to any other profession? It's humiliating to have to tolerate abuse to make money- some people take it better than others but it always sucks.

I speak from experience when I say that standard restaurant labor practices are broken from pretty much every direction. But one thing everyone should agree on is that we should treat tipped employees with respect, and respect includes the right to a fair wage, no matter who "should" be paying for it. It is what it is- work to change the system if you want, but don't penalize those who are living in it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I could give two shits about what people like or do not like in their food. But I hate the idea of my food ever making someone sick or god forbid endangering their life, so when customers tell me they're "OMG SO ALLERGIC TO TOMATOES I WILL DIE!" I am going to go out of my way to get all clean utensils and pots and pans and prepare their meal far away from anything that ever could have touched a tomato ever. It will take me a long time and make everyone's food late, but I don't mind doing it if it means you can enjoy your meal without worry.

But if what you really mean is "I hate raw tomatoes, could you leave them off my salad?" and you think that I won't take you seriously or I'll spit in your food or secretly put tomatoes in it if you don't tell me it's a life threatening allergy, then I hope you develop a deathly allergy to everything except tomatoes and Olestra.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

At the county fair, eating fair food, drinking cheap beer. The girlfriend won a few ribbons in the canning competition, the livestock show is well attended, and it's almost time for the kids to do the mutton busting and the pig scramble.

Enjoying the country life.

Wiggles, as someone who's "known" you for a few years now, it makes me really happy to hear that your family is so happy! Fair sounds like fun.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bartolimu posted:

The breweries Dieu de Ciel and Unibroue are both in or near Montreal (Unibroue is in Chambly, I forget exactly where DdC is) and make delicious beers.

Oh yeah- Unibroue has a pretty awesome restaurant, too. It's traditional acadian foood (updated a bit) and they use their beers in many of the dishes. They also have all their beers on tap, many of which taste very different than the bottled version.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

The recipe will be stolen, poor quality, and slavered upon by ill-informed neckbeards.

And the recipe will actually be a collection of recipes for jello molds, but Assange will keep insisting that they are, in fact, the most meaty of meatballs.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

kiteless that is a beautiful backyard!

hey guys I bought steaks from the sketchy meat truck! despite the fact the one dude tried to tell me their hamburger was dry aged for four years, I bought some decent-looking cuts for fairly cheap. I'll throw some on the grill tomorrow and report back!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Not dead yet. We went out for burgers today so we're putting off trucksteak until tomorrow or Monday.

I did have a delicious but potentially lethal dessert called a "cheesecakeadilla" though. Totally stealing the idea.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tomorrow is my first paid holiday EVER.

I plan on sleeping late and doing laundry to celebrate.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

I had an awful dream that Wrought and Mr. Wrought showed up at my house while I was in New Hampshire with my friends this weekend. Because I had apparently planned a massive get together at my place the week before. But nobody (even the Wroughts!) had RSVP'd so I cancelled it. Unfortunately, they didn't get the cancel notice and showed up to my empty apartment and were sad. I woke up in tears, and then Puppy made me feel better so I went to sleep again somehow. And then I came here to make sure that I didn't actually invite Wrought to a party that I cancelled. :(

Awwwww! We've been down here in Virginia for the past month or so. We'd love to come up and hang with you two, but with work schedules being what they are we probably won't get up that way until we're on our way to Thanksgiving in Maine. Rest assured you didn't invite us to any cancelled parties!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

1. Horchata 4 Eva

2. Tried to be smart and ate lunch before I started drinking on Sunday. Bartender seemed to be pouring a little heavy but no problem. I'll have another. Hm. Starting to feel a little buzzed... one more. BAM. WASTED. I watched bartender pour someone else's drink, and by my count she put at least three and a half ounces of booze in it. The food had slowed down the first drink and a half and then it all hit me at once. I spent the rest of the day passed out on the couch. Not a pro move.

3. I got sucked into a really awkward political conversation in the checkout line at the PX. I was buying a National Enquirer (don't ask) and he was reading the cover as he scanned it. I said something like "I love to see what crazy stuff they make up about people" and he asks me if I'm an Obama supporter (I say that I am) and then launches into this weird anti-Obama rant, as if it had something to do with the National Enquirer. I guess I need to learn to be meaner, because I just kind of stood there looking bewildered until he finished.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

Worst thing? I started dating a vegetarian (former vegan) who says she'd eat beef or bacon before she'd eat Indian food. Goddammit.

I mean. Do I even need to say this?

But, uh... sever?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

poo poo that was my next thought. :(

whelp, that sucks. I thought taxes were supposed to go down when you got married goddamnit - not up.

You have to be careful when filing jointly if your incomes are very different because it's really easy to have too little tax withheld from the person who earns less.

After Mr. W and I got married and moved to Louisiana, I got two jobs. I filled out both W4s as married filing jointly/withhold at higher single rate figuring I'd be fine and get a reasonable refund. I didn't realize that there is a second page to the W4 (I don't my employers did either) and the IRS happily assumed that both jobs were my only job and didn't tax the first 8k(or thereabouts) from either. Mr. W was two tax brackets north of me that year. We ended up owing a lot.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

pr0k posted:

Hit 'em with the nam-shub of Enki!

Oh god.

A few weeks ago I was listening to some interview on NPR with a linguist when some idiot calls in with a question about whether they believe that glossolalia was some sort of subconscious return to a universal human language. I wanted to crawl through my radio and smack a goon.

(that said, it's still one of my favorite novels)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Did the linguist at least shut them down?

The linguist handled it like a champ. He said something along the lines of "Interesting question! You're right that glossolalia truly is a fascinating thing to study. [several interesting facts about glossolalia, none of which have anything to do with the question.]"

erotic/kinky hypnotists? PUAs using NLP? No offense, Squashy, but I'm so glad I'm done with the whole dating scene.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

Grabbed my dick after chopping jalapenos, girlfriend (who didn't break up with me!) ended up holding my schvantz up to a frozen water bottle as I shredded chicken.

Burritos were had.

~~true romance~~

I want to know how it made more sense for her to hold an icepack onto your schlong as you shredded chicken than for her to hand you an icepack and tell you to sit down while she shredded chicken.

Is your girlfriend incapable of shredding chicken?!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Congrats, Halal!

Mr. W (who is an Army journalist) says "gently caress yeah, man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have good news too!

The GM (at the job I've been at about two months) gave me a $50 gift card and added four extra hours of OT to my timesheet last week because I've been working so hard and doing what needs to be done regardless of whether or not it's "my job."

Honestly that's just how I always work and I was psyched enough to be authorized to work OT period, but it feels really loving good to be appreciated.

Since I turn 30 next week, the timing is perfect! Now how should I treat myself? :-D