Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sous Vide shortribs are one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Turkey day was at grandma's, so the only cooking I did was to make the gravy while my dad carved.

Gourd of Taste posted:

Push the stuffing into the sea

Great to have you back, man. :swoon:

Sorry about the meat stuffing, though... My sister's husband's family does that, and it's pretty gross. The stuffing weighs like 5 pounds per serving.

mediaphage posted:

if you've got a Whole Foods near you, they're an excellent place to start to learn about cheese - often overpriced, but they're a chain with a guaranteed minimum of cheese quantity, quality, and knowledge, which can make them a valuable resource.

Yeah, this is currently my best option. Over priced, but they built an enormous one in Dedham, and the cheese shop there has an impressive selection. The guys like to talk cheese, too.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I wasted an hour looking around at the chaos that is Thursday night "Black Friday,"

Ugggg... I went shopping with my mom at 4 AM. No one wanted to go with her, so I jumped on the grenade. I went because in her strange world, shopping is quality time, and she looked like a stricken puppy when I first told her no.

Hey, at least she bought me a nice suitcase.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh, and weren't we just talking mini-slicers? My grandma pulled this out of the back of her pantry and gave it to me. I think it's about 30 years old.

I sliced some mild hard cheese last night, and I was able to get some very thin slices. Motor bogs down while slicing, though, you sure never hear a Hobart do that.

I'm hoping I can make beef slices for sukiyaki/hotpot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Have you ever told her that there are better ways to cook that beef?

What, are you new around here?

Reading about Nosmo's inlaws' holiday meal disasters is a GWS tradition! Always makes me feel better about my family experiences. :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Wear a Danish flag sweater so that people know you are a foreigner and they will be more understanding of potential awkwardness. If things are not going well and you are concerned about making a bad name for your country, wear a German flag sweater.

Percentage of Americans who could tell the two flags apart: <5%

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

I am management consult, English abilities are imperative! I will need to go to Holland and US and Brazil and India and other places and work my rear end off.

This future is dependent on how fast I can get myself fired.

Tie is mandatory! Beard may have to go due to dress code!

I am a loving whore!

Welcome to my hell!

Happy Hat posted:

Now I am drinking and viewing the whole thing through the rosy veils of a pleasant yet somewhat surprised Alsacian tokayer, hugging my wife and reminiscing about back when we were real people and not having to lube up orifices before leaving for work.

Also - this is fuckin gonna kick rear end - they will never know what the hell hit them!

Yeah, you lost me here, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

Why did your pyrex blow up? That's the weird part here.

No, it's not weird. Consumer Reports looked into this, and they found that the company that bought the brand changed the formulation of the "Pyrex" sold in the USA. Numerous reports of them shattering, usually due to thermal shock, but not always.

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

420 use stock erryday. I know what you mean, guy. Almost every meal I cook uses stock in some way, shape, or form.

Yeah, I used to be that way... and then I started dating a vegetarian.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ug... Don't get high and go shopping at Trader Joe's. Specially since there isn't one close to my house, everything was SO shiny!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm about to have a banh mi orgy.

My kind of party!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mommy, mommy! The moon-language people are fighting about something! Make them stop! MAKE THEM STOP! :cry:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Just tell us another story about you & Mrs. Nipples, and they'll stop. Yes, for science. :flashfap:

Hmmm. Well, for xmas I bought Mrs. Nipples a set of bright pink, micro-fleece footie pajamas. She looks ridiculous wearing them, sort of like a giant pink smurf.

I know, not very fapable, but if we put bunny ears on the hood, that would technically make her a furry, right?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Why yes, of course you own a pair.

I went with the Big Feet brand, I bought them from Amazon for 50 bucks.
http://www.bigfeetpjs.com/pajama-sleepwear/703.html

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I got my first smartphone two years ago, I downloaded the Awful App, and deleted it after an hour. The standard Android browser works just fine, I'm genuinely surprised that so many of you use the app.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My grandpa has beaten cancer twice now, here's hoping he doesn't have to go for round three.

My grandfather had esophageal cancer, and the the third time was enough; he decided to go into hospice. He was 92, and he was done fighting. I don't blame him at all.
He didn't regret the first two rounds of cancer treatment, though, it bought him 5 more years of life that was worth living.

The crazy alternative "cures" seem pretty rampant on FaceBook, like that onion bullshit we were talking about a few pages back. Since my girlfriend's blog deals with healthy eating, it seems to attract a lot of that insanity, including the anti-vac folks. That said, they are still less crazy then the militant vegans that used to stalk her page.

therattle posted:

anti-vac people, for whom I hold a special place in my rage-filled heart.

Well said. I almost wish I believed in hell, so that I could drat them to it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

But.. But... the nice man from Omaha Steaks told me that ALL restaurants used frozen, pre-portioned steaks!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The photos on their website, the ribeyes just... don't look right

I found an old Omaha Steaks gift card that I got for xmas years ago. It's got $100 bucks on it, so I need to find something on the site worth buying.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

No worries mate. Sounds like you defriended a militant rear end in a top hat, and the veganism was coincidental.

I'd like to agree with that, but based on the volume of hatred/threats the girlfriend received when she started using some dairy in her blog, I'm not so sure about that. That said, the more militant ones don't really seem to be very good cooks, or even really enjoy food, they just like being righteously angry and bullying people online.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

for clarity: dino you're an awesome vegan, this person liked to tell everyone else how horrible they were for not making the same life choices they did

Yeah, this is really the crux of it: the militant folks don't even see it as "making life choices", they see it as an ongoing struggle to force The One True Way upon all others.

---

Vietnamese Five-Spice is the flavor of the month in my house, and the woman just made a huge pot of vegan stew with daikon, taters, carrots and chickpeas, flavored with Five-Spice and some gochujang for umami. It's fantastic, a really lovely winter dish.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

What's gochujang?

"Korean Hot Pepper Paste", it's used pretty extensively in Korean cuisine. It is fermented, and contains rice flour, malt and fermented soy paste, so it tastes a bit like a thick, spicy, slightly-sweet miso.
Here is a link to Maangchi making some at home:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujang

therattle posted:

How spicy? (I'm guessing pretty hot).

It comes in different heat levels. The stuff I buy at Kam Man has no English on the label, but it does have a heat scale with arabic numerals. It's usually 1-4 or 1-5, higher being hotter. The 1's are fairly mild, and the 4's and 5's are pretty hot.

therattle posted:

Dish recipe please!

She is working on a full blog post; in the mean time you can go to her FaceBook page and give her some likes.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melomeals/116026025122857

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Marceline Abadeer posted:

Mangchi is probably one of my favorite food bloggers, she's just too adorable. I really want to try making her eomukguk but the fish cakes at my local international grocery place are kind of lacking.

Totally adorable! She's the one who turned me on to gochujang. You know how some of the cooks on Food network cook with this insane intensity? She is the opposite of that. :swoon:

Full post for the stew is up:

MeloMeals: Fusion Chinese Korean Daikon and Carrot Stew

But yeah, salmonella. Stuff coming out of both ends every half hour for 4 days. I didn't eat for the first 3, aside from broth and water. Lost 15lbs.

Not food poisoning, but I just got put on a second course of anti-biotics, and my guts are totally malfunctioning. Thankfully it's only coming out one end, but it's like a loving geyser. Hopefully some of my homemade live-culture kraut will help get the bugs back in order.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

For real, I'm totally jealous. My Masters robes are really cheap quality.

Every time I watch Nova on PBS, I get sad that I didn't pursue science as a career. :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mindphlux posted:

also what other folks said, that video should have been like under a minute long.

It didn't Gonk me, but if I owned a wok burner that nice, I'd like to think that my stir frying would be a lot more polished then that display.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Reminds me of that silly plastic trowel I bought for making tamales: hands just work better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've traveled pretty extensively, and I've never heard of this. I would be offended if someone declined my first offer because they were playing some kind of game; it's fundamentally dishonest. If I ask you if you want something, I'm expecting an honest answer, otherwise screw you.

Using words to communicate totally breaks down if you are expected to ignore certain ones.

The Japanese thing of communicating through deliberate omission makes a lot more sense then this.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Maybe this is why Mrs. Gunderson's guests didn't eat any of the curry hotdish; she just didn't offer it enough times.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Check your privilege.

I have checked it! I took a look at it just the other day, and it's rather large. Bigger then yours! :smug:

Happy Hat posted:

Also: I was confused as hell when I got the question "How are you?" at first in the states.. I tried to answer it detailed and in honest, which apparantly isn't what people are looking for, which is dishonest interest on their part, and clearly culturally insensitive to my minority!

Yeah, that's always bugged me a little, but I've just accepted it as a matter of idiom. Except when I was in Ireland, there they seem to expect you to gush effusively about how unbelievably positive your day is going, punctuated with a bright proclamation of 'Cheers!'.

This is because the Irish language is composed of 20-30% of the word 'cheers'. It has different meanings depending on context; their usage is a lot like how The Smurfs use the word "smurf" or "smurfy" in conversation.

This has been a message from Squashy Nipples, Cultural Anthropologist (extraordinaire).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

My cousin in Chula Vista did something similar. Not a truck, but they hired a woman and her husband and they brought a flat top and stuff for tacos/sides. Was pretty cool, yeah.

My favorite wedding reception ever was catered by a BBQ restaurant. Everyone loved the food, and it lent a deliberately casual vibe to the affair.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I'm one of them. I don't find it soapy but I don't like it. Neither does my father.

I genuinely pity you. Now that the GF is living here, we go through two bunches a week of the stuff. Love it!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

huge piece of boarbutt.

I roasted a 20 pound ham for pre-Christmas, and it came out awesome.

I used Emeril's orange glaze:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/baked-fresh-ham-with-citrus-rum-glaze-recipe/index.html

Only thing I did wrong was let the pan drippings burn. If it's a big ham, it's going to take a long time, so watch for that.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 29, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wasn't this an entire chapter of The Restaurant at the End Of The Universe? Except that it worked.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It was the second-most efficient way to power intergalactic travel I'm not sure that's really quite the same.

No, not the drive. I seem to recall Ford running up a huge tab in a bar, and then offering a favorable review in The Guide as payment.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good curry leaves are hard to find around here. Kam Man has them sometime; we've got a bunch drying in the kitchen right now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This has been bouncing around social media this morning, so you may have already seen it:

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/20945530/2013/02/03/waitress-fired-after-posting-receipt-showing-pastors-complaint-about-tip

TLDR: woman "of the cloth" clogs up a large table with a party of 9 friends that ends up spending a measly $34 on appetizers. Then she has the nerve to berate the waitress on the slip for the automatic 18% tip: "I give God 10%, why do you get 18?"

What the gently caress, why do people always treat servers like parasites, and not people working for a living?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vlex posted:

Last time I went to Florida, I was twelve. But holy hell, do I still remember the humidity. Get a car!

Sometimes it feels like the air is attacking your lungs!

Scientcy, I appreciate your rugged individualism, but the bike is gonna get OLD come the hot months of summer. 90 degrees at 50% humidity is drat nice, at 95%+, not so nice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I get to be Jeffrey tonight!

(the GF told me that she is making a dessert for me with a recipe from The Barefoot Contessa)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^Cornbread. Baked in a cast iron pan.

therattle posted:

It has that fizzy feeling on the tongue and a pleasant vinegariness.

Yum! I love that. My live sauerkraut gets a little fizzy, too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't know if anyone else posted, but someone scooped up Guy Fieri's domain and posted a mock menu

The GF and I loving hate him; around our house he is simply known as "rear end in a top hat".

But we LOVE his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives; he really finds some amazing local food. I love to watch people put so much TLC into scratch cooking, specially when it's based on old family recipes. We've also been inspired to make our own versions of some of the food we see.

Guy's incessant mugging is loving annoying, and he is totally disrespectful to the cooks he interviews. God forbid the owner be a cute chick, and then his maturity level drops from 15 years-old to about 12. I'd like a "Garfield without Garfield" edit of the show where they just bleep out all of his dialog.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The best hot dog joint the world has a pic of rear end in a top hat on their wall, as well as a "AS SEEN ON DDD" banner on their website:

http://www.superduperweenie.com/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

The best hot dog joint the world has a pic of rear end in a top hat on their wall, as well as a "AS SEEN ON DDD" banner on their website:

http://www.superduperweenie.com/

This episode was on last night!
I didn't realize that the weenie man went to culinary school. His fresh relishes are loving awesome, it was cool to see how he makes them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Frozen toast. Everybody just dwell on that poo poo a minute.

Yeah, I used to stock this when I worked at a small local market back in high school, and I used to marvel at it even then. Defintely worse then 'pancake batter in a can'.

Good read on Huy Fong, I can never get enough about this miracle product:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-21/sriracha-hot-sauce-catches-fire-with-only-one-rooster

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I'm more complaining about how ridiculous the whole idea even is.

Yup. I don't like PB&J sandwiches, even with good ingredients, so I'm totally grossed out by those frozen wads. Looking at them makes me want to vomit.

dino. posted:

I guess meat is more filling than vegetables? I don't know.

Yes, it is. Although, protein in general is more filling, whether from vegetable or animal source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

http://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-MINI-SPATULA-SPREADER-GREEN/dp/B002SBQLG6/

Your wish is my command. At home, I buy PB in enormous jars, so the Tovolo spatula fits right into there. Don't judge me.

I bought this set a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-570-1121-3-Piece-Silicone-Spatula/dp/B000M8YMEU/

Wilton spoonula, spatula, and half spatula, eight bucks.

dino. posted:

@Halal: sweet gently caress please be joking. That stuff is hideous and disgusting. Just as much as I hate bugs? I hate having jam in my PB jar, or vice versa. When I heard that some people like to spread both PB AND jam on the SAME SIDE OF THE BREAD I about passed out from the vapours. It was too much for my delicate constitution to handle. The ziplock idea is so much :effort: though.

My girlfriend the veggie fiend eats a fair amount of PB&J, and her method might just kill you. She usually eats it with one slice of bread: first spreads the PB, and then the J on top, and then she sits there and runs her finger through it to mix it up. Actually, she might just do that just so she can lick her finger, I don't know.