Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fp15195coll34

They loving love boiled meat though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Ricola, those old menus are awesome. Sending the link all across the office now.

Did you come across these as part of your dadjob?

No, Mrs. Ricola found them while digging through archives of old books!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

OmniElk posted:

I'm terrified of this thread, because I'm fairly certain I'll be eaten alive for posting in it as I'm a terrified new cook, but I just had to speak up and say something.

HELLO NEWFRIEND!

Come here: http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

I want to compliment all the kimchis but I'm afraid that if I post in that thread ricola will make me go back in time and Kim some chi last week.

You could compliment the kimchi and then eat 6 bird's eye chiles and dance the abracadabra dance.

That was fun so we're doing another one too!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466668

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

SEE ALSO: Assholes who are inconsistent. Honey is loving not vegan.

Some people are vegan because it's a matter of consent. What about abandoned hive honey?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

O_O Is there any relation to that powdered cheese like they put on popcorn and stuff? I used to like that cheese popcorn they'd sell in those giant boxes with the caramel, butter, and cheese popcorn. Those boxes are rather tiny. I see pasta on sale for like $1 for 2 lbs. I guess it's because the sauce comes with it? Still, if you're adding your own butter and milk, why not just add some cheese to the thing and have done with?

Kraft Dinner really, really is that much cheaper than buying your own cheese.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Plastic Jesus posted:

No it isn't. It takes less time to make the sauce than it takes to bring the water to a boil and cook the noodles.

It takes 20 minutes at a minimum to make a not gross roux thickened sauce.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Wait, what? My quick n dirty mac n cheese (bechamel plus cheese plus pasta) sauce cooks in the same amount of time that the pasta does. It may not be as silky as the roux sauce in a 3-hour beef stew, but it'll do in a hurry.

Roux-thickened sauces taste like flour if you don't cook them for 20 minutes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

20 minutes? 10-12 for a blonde roux, which doesnt taste like flour at all.

Sorry you don't know what flour tastes like I guess. Next time you make a roux-thickened sauce, pull some of it off after 10 minutes and the rest after 20-30 and compare them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess not... I have always gone 12 minutes on the roux and then moved on with the sauce. Never had any complaints. I will try taking longer next time.

Oh! This includes the sauce-cooking time. You need to cook the flour and fat for about 20 minutes total. Simmering the sauce for ten minutes will do it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

What? Everything I've read says 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

To thicken, not to get rid of the taste. The time spent making the roux counts towards this time too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

How do you break a sauce that is based on flour?

I have never experienced that happening!

The dairy can break, but you have to screw it up pretty badly for that to happen.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

What is ABD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_but_dissertation

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phummus posted:

When next there is a mod challenge, I propse chickenade. Boil one whole chicken for 30 minutes. Remove the bird and do what you want. Mix in a quarter cup of sugar and strain into a container to cool, serve over ice.

That sounds like my recipe for iced hot ham water.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How long is that going on for, anyway?

Until people stop doing them I guess. Vague categories and short deadlines like that are pretty good at keeping it interesting.

I've been too busy to write a new one. I or someone else will post one up soon. I am excited to see people make lingweenie.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

icehewk posted:

gently caress chickenade, make chicken ale.

pfft it doesn't count if one of the ingredients is 10 gallons of ale.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So um what's in a Tahitian Tee-Hee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

I suspect it would smell more like a mass burial than a condiment, though.

Yep that's garum.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

The lady I used to do yard work for told me she learned to cook in a wood fired oven, and there were some tricks: one is making cookies before you bake a cake to make sure the oven was up to temperature, and putting a sheet of paper in the oven to see if it would brown to check the temperature before putting in bread.

But yes, a lot of cooking was boiling and using bean pots, and roasting was done with a lot of basting to keep and eye on the meat and to try to keep it from drying

There are some recipes that call for you to sing a certain hymn three times through while boiling an egg, kind of like singing "twinkle-twinkle little star" while washing your hands.

The gill (jill) in the US is defined as half a cup, or four U.S. fluid ounces, which in Great Britain the gill is five British fluid ounces.
Pepin's biography has a huge section about his apprenticeship and learning to cook on a huge wood stove (and is otherwise awesome).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab, i shoot friendlies, you both have horrifying brain opinions about how people should be treated.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I was positive that this was an article by The Onion.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

What happens if you cook the dark green part of a leek? Every leek recipe I've seen has huge warnings against it.

It just never gets tender, you end up with chewy grossness.

Use it as an aromatic that you plan on straining in a sauce/soup/stock.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We pay $5.99 for 12 packs of PBR, Hamm's, Olympia, and Busch here. If you're into nasty beer though you can get 24 pack suitcases of Natural Ice for $8.99 or $9.99 depending on which gas station you're buying from. Quarts of Coors, Carta Blanca, etc. are usually 89 to 99 cents. This is a good place for yard beer.

12 cans of PBR here are $18.

:catstare:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm bored of custards.

MAKE A SOUFFLE GEEEZ

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

What says GWS on leaving eggs on the counter? They're rinsed, but fresh from the chicken butt. My mom is all "jesus you're gonna die", but I've always left fresh eggs out.

Who is right?

Shouldn't have rinsed them, but if you eat them soon they're fine. In the fridge they'd last a month or more easily.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Very nice indeed.

Make Kraft mac n cheese. All by yourself.

Excuse me we make Kraft Dinner in this country.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Charlie Burger hosts pop-up restaurants in Toronto. Recently, he hosted some chefs from France's Le Chateaubriand, which is 9th on on the San Pellegrino list of top restaurants.

On May 6th, he's hosting this event.

http://t.co/CS1HT0cP

:catstare:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

What the gently caress is a "Virtual Chocolate Cake?" Is this some WIlly Wonka Mike Teevee poo poo or something?

You smoke it.

From a pipe.

(I have cooked in this guy's kitchen, and am being serious)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trap Star posted:

Yeah, the stovetops all work but my oven is insane and will burn a frozen pizza in ten minutes. I've tried cleaning it a few times but it's still crazy as hell.

I'll check out the thread you suggested, I've been looking for a way to cut down on the number of dishes I'm washing by preparing as many meals as I can at a time, but almost every recipe I've been interested in starts with "preheat oven to 400 degrees" :smith:
Put a thermometer in your oven instead of relying on the dial.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trap Star posted:

I'll try baking something maybe tomorrow or so, but there's definitely an issue with my oven. I'm guessing it's heating up a lot more than the dial indicates.

Right. So get one of those thermometers that you put in it and leave in there so you can see what temperature it heats to.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, exactly like that. Try it in a few different spots too, some ovens are really bad for hot/cold spots.

Edit: you can probably find one that will serve just fine for like $2-3 if you try, too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pics are up from that 100 course meal I posted about earlier, and they're hilarious:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/this-is-what-a-100-course-dinner-looks-like/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phummus posted:

I made peppermint frozen custard with chocolate chunks last night. 'Tis the season. I have more mint than I know what to do with.

Can I soak it in vodka and make extract? Freeze it?

If you have an isi you can quick-infuse it!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I'm ready for the weekend to get here. I'm going to make fajitas again (way easier than I thought it'd be, except for the easy-but-tedious pico), and probably throw some salmon/ribs on the smoker on Sunday or Monday.

How is pico tedious? you just chop a bunch of stuff and then eat it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Dino!!!

What is that lying on my desk?

What could it be??

I love you dino!

:siren: THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT THIS VERSION OF THE BOOK HAS DINO'S MARRIED NAME :siren:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

awwww :glomp:

sorry for the wall of text, but I just kept on going back as far as I could - apparently August of 2005 was when GWS started. Here's the first page of threads that pops up when you pull GWS August 2005 from the archives :shobon:

ICSA round 1 !!! you guyysyssss I'm gonna cryyyy.... life.... life is so beautiful...... :cry:

Here's an archive of the old gbsfood site, it's every bit as horrible as you might expect: http://stopfuckingposting.com/www.gbsfood.com/index.php

So many meatlogs.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Here's an archive of the old gbsfood site, it's every bit as horrible as you might expect: http://stopfuckingposting.com/www.gbsfood.com/index.php

So many meatlogs.

http://stopfuckingposting.com/www.gbsfood.com/1522672/

Oh yeah so edgy.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

You'll have to experiment because it depends on how brown you want stuff. For a really vague metric, the bigger something is, the lower the temperature you want to fry it. But again that's extremely rough. You want to fry at a temperature where the thing you're cooking is fully cooked, not overcooked, and the right texture/color on the outside.

You'll usually be between 160 and 190 degrees. Consult individual recipes though.

190 is over the smoke point of lots of oils, so this might be unwise.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

375f? That's what I cook french fries at (second fry).

Canola is fine, but as a one-temperature-fits-all it's going to cause grief with lots of oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trillian posted:

It appears that was posted in GBS and then gassed, at least.

There are tons more equally lovely threads that weren't gassed and that was in GBS before GSS existed.