Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Toriori posted:

I'm trying to go gluten-free since I think I have an intolerance and Christ almighty it is not a simple task. Why must gluten free foods be so darned expensive or require a bajillion weird ingredients?!

Have you gone to a doctor because you should go to a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The most often-cited number is 1 in 100 (which is not that rare if true), but my suspicion is that a lot of false positives are people who are actually sensitive or allergic to things that are put in gluten containing meals, and not people inventing symptoms

This is not what a false positive is this is someone being a moron about monitoring what they eat and self-diagnosing incorrectly. A false positive is when you are administered a test and the result comes back negative when it should be positive.

Toriori posted:

No, I just explained a few things that didn't feel right at a check-up, we just did some process of elimination stuff but since I don't smoke, drink and exercise regularly he just suggested that might be it and try the whole "cut something different out every two weeks" to see if it's what I'm eating and just said to start with gluten. Because I don't eat a lot of meat and eat a lot of grains, it's a weird transition.

There's a test for celiac disease go make your doctor give it to you.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Actually a false positive is a positive result when a test should be negative. This can happen when a person is legitimately allergic to some compound, let's call it PEANUTS, and they eat a small portion of PEANUTS, and are tested for like a hundred things and show allergic to loving ALL OF THEM. This is common. This is a false positive. hth

Durrr, yes, I wrote that backwards, you're obviously right and that is what I meant!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh, I did want to say that yes go to a doctor before you go gluten free because going gluten free is a huge and expensive pain in the rear end (and bread is delicious). Most insurance plans cover all the testing but none of the treatment.

Is the testing covered by your insurance plans? If it is, then it's kind of silly for you to not do the biopsy/endoscopy.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

whelp, I did it; booked tickets in October to Chicago. gonna try my best to get an Alinea reservation.

anyone got any chicago tips? restaurants to visit? cheap yet decently located places to stay?

GO TO NEXT AND AVIARY TOO!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wafflesnsegways posted:

Do we have to challenge every person with some kind of eating requirement to justify themselves before talking about food with them? I've seen this happen with vegans, people trying to avoid saturated fat, pretty much anyone with any kind of diet restrictions. People with allergies are told that they probably don't have allergies.

Seriously, the anger here is kind of disheartening. Who cares if it's a fad diet, and who cares if someone tries to go gluten free who isn't actually gluten intolerant? People trying to better themselves and control what they eat is a good thing.

Why not assume that people can care for themselves? Or why not at least keep it friendly, instead of challenging them aggressively?

I'm not trying to stir up poo poo, I'm speaking earnestly about something that bothers me on these forums, which I actually really like.

I think a lot of it is the same annoyance at how everyone on the internet also explains their social awkwardness by self-diagnosing as having aspergers.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KITTY

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pester posted:

Did you paint that kitty's toenails? :stare:

It was clawing up my furniture so I put softpaws on it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Friends please come take my survey so that we can argue about food:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494152

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hello friends check out dis douchebaggery http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493011&pagenumber=3#post405324400

Please note that her only competition is an adorable 13 year old.

http://www.comcastbiteofseattle.com/videos_contest_view.php?video_id=12

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 6, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I don't have kids and I'm grateful that I can spend 16 hours making ironic salad that I don't get to eat until 3am.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And I don't understand the crockpot hate. I love my crockpot.

Crockpots used as :3 little braising robots are great. It's when they're used because people want to mash a bunch of quick and easy canned poo poo into a pot and come back 8h later to a fully cooked meal that they're bad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

I love a good story. I did used to listen to that one podcast with all those storytellers, but stopped, because of the long plugs in the beginning before the story started. Help me, GWS, you're my only hope.

I like Big Ideas.

This one here is awesome: http://podcasts.tvo.org/bi/audio/2031655_48k.mp3

It's Simon Winchester talking about the history of the Oxford English Dictionary.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

You idiot, that's chewing gum you're thinking of.

Chewing gum stays in your stomach for seven years you imbecile.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phummus posted:

Combine your risotto with some breadcrumbs and parm. Add eggs for a binder and form into balls. Then coat completely with bread crumbs. Fry at 350 for 3-5 min.

You can throw the balls in the freezer for 10 minutes if you want them to be even easier to handle.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So if you used bleu cheese, they could be blue balls?

Blue cheese, not bleu.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The worst part of my meal was trying to calculate a 3 figure tip while seeing double. Sure, the wine pairings seemed like a good idea at the start, but then you don't want to be wasteful so you drink them all and before you know it you're watching an old french guy grope your wife while the sommelier goes on about Alsace and the room starts to spin and oh god I can't tell how loud I'm talking

Four stars, would go back again

Mediaphage, pf and I (plus spouses) went to a tasting menu place for a 5-hour, 16 course meal on NYE and by the end of it we were all completely drunk off our minds. The first course was paired with a shot of vodka and it kind of went downhill from there.

Without the pictures I think the only courses I would remember are the pickle course and the one that came with a fried squab head.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Here is the one true BBQ Sauce:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hey how about saying "oh no I have tried a very similar canned brussels sprout and tater tots bake and I am really not a fan but thank you! I like them a lot ~otherway~ though!" rather than lying to people that are presumably your friends because you're unable to have a grownup conversation? Alternatively, get less lovely friends.

Edit: or are you one of those silly people that ~has a genetic condition~ that makes cilantro taste like soap?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Semisponge posted:

I tried to eat the leftover half of sandwich but it's indedible.

Look at that! It's black with sweet soy sauce! It's like biting into a sugar ball! You can't taste anything else!

That's not banh mi that's a mysterious mass of brown.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wait no cancel your order and buy this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Biosciences-BEEF-EXTRACT-2Kg/dp/B008JF64HQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1344974281&sr=8-19&keywords=beef+extract

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bovril calls itself "beef extract" so I assume that I just linked to 2kg of purestrain bovril

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pied de Cochon was ridiculously underwhelming.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Toast posted:

Aside from dino's?

Yep. Get dino's book: http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345489786&sr=1-1

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So, Epicurious did a thing where a bunch of kids got to be published in a cookbook and then to visit the whitehouse for dinner.

Look at all these bad parents: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152064187040204&set=a.10150397503130204.616648.12770210203&type=1

Also: rabid republicans have been swarming the page complaining about how this is getting any coverage at all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just gonna leave this here as the best bitters-containing recipe:

quote:

Whiskey is a hard drink. The burnt wood and grain flavors deepen your crow’s feet and punch your nose with the scent of every frontier saloon, juke joint and speakeasy from this young country’s mythology. Whiskey tastes like hardship.

Mix a couple of ounces of struggle with the right ingredients and it changes. It feels unexpectedly lighter. Energetic. Refreshing. Whiskey is always full of surprises.

Last summer, I met a friend at one of those fancy cocktail bars in New York. You know the type: Leather-bound menus, fancy couches and yes, they have fancy ice. After years of X-tini bars and vodka bullshit, I wasn’t expecting that much but the Pegu Bar’s menu kept batting its eyes at me.

The first thing I noticed were the drinks themselves: A Sidecar, Gin-Gin Mule, French Pearl. Sophisticated drinks with simple descriptions and zero affectation. The second thing was that the lone whiskey cocktail wasn’t a julep or an Old Fashioned.

Whiskey Smash

“This is whiskey?” I repeated what I’m sure the Pegu staff has heard too many times. The bright yellow color of the drink will catch you off guard. It’s at once minty and sour and, I don’t know, thirst quenching. It certainly doesn’t contain any of whiskey’s violence.

Jerry Thomas1 created the Whiskey Smash in 1862. His original recipe was basically a lazy Mint Julep:

1 tsp. fine white sugar
2 tsp. water.
3 or 4 sprigs of young mint.
1 wine-glass [2oz.] of whiskey.

Put the mint in the glass, then the sugar and water. Mash the mint to extract the flavor, add the Whiskey, and fill up the glass with shaved ice. Stir up well, and ornament with two or three fresh sprigs of mint.

At some point in the last 150 years some pioneering bartender made a couple of modifications to Thomas’ drink to give us the modern Whiskey Smash:

2-4 lemon pieces (cut a lemon in half and then quarter one of the halves. Bam! pieces)
5-10 mint leaves
3 dashes bitters
1/4 to 3/4 oz. Simple syrup to taste
2-3 oz. Rye, bourbon or whiskey2

Muddle the lemon pieces, mint leaves, bitters and simple syrup in the bottom of a shaker glass. Add the bourbon and shake well with ice. Strain into a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with a mint sprig and a lemon wedge.

The Pegu Club uses a brandied cherry for garnish and a huge fancy ice cube. Variations include adding a slice of fresh fruit like peaches or rhubarbs before muddling or topping with a splash of soda. Try flavored bitters. Experiment a bit.

The Whiskey Smash is a natural on a warm summer evening of socializing with friends. Almost too natural. In just under two hours my friend and I dusted off 10 of these fast girls and forgot all of our problems. And how to get home.

Thomas is known as the father of mixology. Check out Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to Taster’s choice but I’m of the opinion that the best mixing whiskeys cost $10-$25 a bottle.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is a crantini a martini?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pfft the domestic abuse ones are way worse than the "don't spill a huge pot full of boiling oil all over your face" ones.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://wheelof.com/lunch/ is far superior, anyways.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

OH MY GOD GUYS THE PIZZA CONE STORE IS OPEN

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Stop being so negative, how could something made with a machine like this go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGrIsFYzo8

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's very nice!

Quick question - The girlfriend is bringing home some live clams for supper. I'd like to toss them in the pan (in shell) with olive oil/garlic/tomatoes and serve on linguine. So do I boil the clams first, or just rinse and then into the hot oil they go? Forgive the silly question, but it's been a long time since I've been able to cook with fesh bivalves.

Scrub them well then into the oil, then throw in a splash of white wine to get a bit of steam in there!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gently caress YOU I'M RICK BAYLESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN3o-rclDtU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Here is Stovetop posted:

For me beets taste like sweet dirt. I don't mind the texture either, and maybe if I had some from some other part of the planet, or some really fresh ones (only ever ate canned ones growing up and they still make me want to vomit.) The smell alone of beets is a turn off for me. I still soldier on and make them for the old lady when she wants them but ick.

Maybe you have that gene that makes beets taste like dirt the same way some people have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

is that a thing? Because I think beets taste like dirt and that is awesome

No, neither of those are a thing.

mindphlux posted:

last time I ate beets it was before going out getting completely sloshed and to the club

I woke up the next morning already feeling like I might be dying, took a dump, and shat myself for 20 seconds thinking I was quite literally dying until I remembered I ate beets the night before. :(

I'm guilty of going to the doctor freaking out about bloodpoop. The first question she asked was when I last ate a beet.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You are joking. Who the gently caress says "sammie" to mean a sandwich? I don't believe you.

Edit:

Is that named after the famous Count von Hamburgensammichessen? That apocryphal story about the nobleman who was hungry while gambling: He was too stupid to pronounce words properly, so his servants just ladled nourishing gruel into his drooling maw.

gently caress you very much, Quiznos.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So, this lady is basically the best ever. Everyone make her foods.

http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.ca/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is full blown crazypants hilarious/awful:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-apple-pizza-fort-pierce

quote:

Well.. I'd eat there but after seeing the owner grab our leftist President I felt compelled to disrespect his establishment as much as the President disrespects our constitution. Shame on you Scott Van Duzer for thumbing your nose at all the small business owners this President has disrespected for the last four years. I guess you DIDN'T BUILD IT!
I hope you're prepared for many more Yelps like this!!! Maybe you weren't thinking, or maybe you are the only liberal pro Obama business owner, who knows.. but you won't get mine or anyone else's business for your treachery.

quote:

Cottonwood, AZ
1.0 star rating
9/9/2012
Talk about committing business suicide. After picking up Obama, your books are gonna be in the red pretty soon. Not too smart.

:catstare:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

3. I got sucked into a really awkward political conversation in the checkout line at the PX. I was buying a National Enquirer (don't ask) and he was reading the cover as he scanned it. I said something like "I love to see what crazy stuff they make up about people" and he asks me if I'm an Obama supporter (I say that I am) and then launches into this weird anti-Obama rant, as if it had something to do with the National Enquirer. I guess I need to learn to be meaner, because I just kind of stood there looking bewildered until he finished.

Pfft, just preempt it by talking about orgone generators and Ron Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Daeren posted:

So, what the hell causes the pollock in this crab dip to play nice? Maybe the oils on it are washed off or something? Something about the krab making process? Cruel fate?

The fillets of pollock were raw, right?