Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SubG posted:

The cognoscenti at the county fair call that a chili dog.

Or a coney. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Agreed!

I once worked a summer in Ireland, and the Irish were totally perplexed (and perhaps a bit offended) that I didn't claim any Irish heritage. Apparently, Americans in Ireland are supposed to lie and say they are Irish.

I suspect most Americans setting foot in Ireland do so because they feel themselves to be Irish (because their great great great grandma came over from Dublin in 1840 or something).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Well.. it was only that one time... with the sheep.... and you know - sheeps passing in the night and all that. What happens in cornwall stays in cornwall.

I think Cornwall was probably about the only part of Britain that wasn't Danish-ruled, however briefly, being southwest of Wessex. (Wales too, I guess)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

:stare:

Is this a typo, or have I been drastically misinformed as to what kind of show this is?

A pasty is a form of pie, if you were unaware.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

I forgot about chip butties, I retract this statement.

Daddies sauce 4 lyfe yo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Midniter posted:

One time in an interview I got asked what my favorite baseball team was and an FBI SWAT team immediately busted into the room and brutally murdered all the offending middle managers.

I dont think the FBI has SWAT teams.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

This thread has heard of http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html right

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

The only good use I can think of that isn't cheesecake.

I add a bit when I'm making pimento cheese, turns out pretty well usually.

Edit: that it's good on bagels kind of goes without saying, I would think :shrug:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 20, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Went out to dinner tonight with my boss while we're both here in Detroit for work. Hit up a New Orleans style restaurant whose menu looked good. I got the chicken jambalaya and it was suuuuuper disappointing. I'm in love with andouille and if I did a blind taste test, I would have bet that what they served was a chopped up hot dog. No spice, and springy as a mofo. The peppers and onions were cooked to within an inch of their lives, and the rice was mushy.

Literally the best part of the meal was the single piece of salmon sashimi I got as an amuse bouche, because this place does sushi too for some reason? Even that wasn't the best, but it was better than the jambalaya. What a letdown.

I hate to break it to you but this place's menu did not in fact look good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DumbparameciuM posted:

Actually, now I'm interested. Are there any non-Australians in the thread who have tried vegemite and enjoyed it? I can't stand the stuff.

Probably quite a lot of British people are going to be down with vegemite given our own proclivities, yes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry, that's disgusting. Any totally unsatisfying? Almost no protein. Looks like the kind of thing a fat vegan would eat.

Also, just between you and me... chips and french fries are the same thing!

Not over here. French fries means McDonald's style, chips means what you call steak fries :colbert:
Proper chips are cooked in beef drippings, too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dejawesp posted:

Yeah least popular. The latest was "Roquefort papillon"

I most interesting one was one I couldn't even get the name of. It was from a small town grocery store. The cheese wasn't in their system so they couldn't give me a name or even proper price for it. It came wrapped in plastic, foil and paper, Even while triple wrapped and stored in two Tupperwares it made the whole fridge stink. It was brownish, tasted very salty and was ridiculously strong. It stung my tongue like a 12 volt battery when I tasted it.

It wasn't blue cheese but the texture was closer to cloister cheese.

Roquefort is great. My ex used to call it 'brokefoot' cos of the smell. Lovely with some Branstons pickle.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Because the name is awful. "clotted" makes me think of bodily fluids... Same with "brown sauce", although I hate that, and I like clotted cream.

One of the two best known brands of it is called 'Daddy's Sauce' if that helps you any :sun: Goes great on some Mr. Brains' brand faggots.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I accidentally made double the amount of stuffing needed for a roast, I need ideas for the leftover.

It's chopped spinach, sauteed mushroom and garlic, and a tiny bit of bread crumb.

For regular stuffing at least, I'd do something like mix it with leftover mash, maybe an egg, make little fried potato cake patties?

Or mix it with butter and garlic, do a chicken kiev kind of effort.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

English mustard is not spicy. :stare:

Compared to French's it certainly is. What death mustard are you used to that makes Colmans taste bland?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

I'd love to live in Baltimore for a weeks just for the character and vibe, loved The Wire.

You watched The Wire and thought 'yep that sure is a city I'd love to live in alright!'? :stonk:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pookah posted:

I thinks it's highly modified version of indian curry which has been heavily modified by its passage through postwar Britain (very mild, very bland, add sultanas and probably turnips), 1950's Ireland (even milder and blander) to its final home - Irish chippers. I like it, but it's only for making into a thick brown sauce to slop over some chips; it's not even a nodding acquaintance of an actual indian curry at this point.

Surprisingly similar to Japanese curry though (they got it via Britain too albeit in the 19th century)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

No curry leaf, but does have fenugreek, that surprised me.

Known as methi in India. It is a thing; you can get curry with fresh methi too.

Also your chicken salad is a low rent Coronation Chicken which I can heartily recommend in a sammich.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

So, once, when I was much, much younger and much more stupid, I thought I could make Spanish rice by making regular rice and adding salsa.

I mean you kind of can, that's basically this -

https://www.oldelpaso.co.uk/products/chilli-garlic-one-pan-rice-meal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

If only there were racks of some kind with small compartments into which one could put water, and then the entire rack or “tray” into the freezer to freeze and make small blocks of ice. The person who invented the “ice rack” could make millions!

Also, where do you live that you can't just go to the store and buy a bag of ice?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Just drop the unopened bag onto the floor from waist height a couple times.

This. Works with an opened bag too if you're careful :sun:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do luckless forgeiners feed visiting Americans? Hamburger hamburger hot dog?

This- http://www.yeoldeoak.co.uk/our-products/american-hot-dogs

Yes, that is hotdogs in a can in brine.

:getin:

(This is vengeance for Olde English. I bought that expecting a pleasant pale ale and got...not that)

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 29, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dino. posted:

Why do the drugs people have our forum name. I’m so confuse.

You use spoons to make crack cocaine u see

Yes, it gets me on like a daily basis

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Whalley posted:

I grew up in Australia before the pickle craze finally hit my country, and I had an absolutely bullshit child's opinion that "pickles are bad and gross" that I embarrassingly held until I moved to the US in my mid 20s. I'm so glad I recovered from that garbage hell position.

Do you not have British-style spicy pickled onions in Australia? Mmm...pickled onions.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Whalley posted:

My wife's family has several friends who really like his stuff and think he's a genius and also told me not to go down the "ethnics" aisle in the grocery store because "you don't know what they eat" and that's the kind of person I think of when I think Christopher Kimball

I was very amused when I moved to America and the British food was in the 'ethnic aisle' at Meijer. Like, I'm not used to thinking of myself as an ethnic?

Of course, right next to it was the 'Southern' category because I guess they won the civil war and the Confederacy is a foreign country now?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

Speaking of shakshuka, Fekicity Cloake in the Guardian often tries different recipes to come up with a good one of her own. She just did shakshuka. She agrees that pretty much anything goes.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/mar/03/how-to-make-the-perfect-shakshuka

If by 'just' you mean 2016.

Warn them about Trump and Brexit, past goon!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Airbus indeed does a ton in france, spain and germany. aviation in italy is weird as they're in bed with the UK to make the next gen fighter jet. the uk is also out of the EU loop on aviation as well, so I'm not exactly sure why they're lumped in with the Airbus countries. Also, Airbus is headquartered in the Netherlands. Are they exempt/included? I don't recall ever having bought Dutch goods outside of a six pack of Heinekenq

Airbus isn't an EU project per se, the UK is one of the partner countries in it Brexit or not, and the wings on every Airbus plane are made in Wales.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

Nope, in 20 years the UK will be warm enough to bake a greater volume of good wine. Look on the bright side, guys!

English champagne is already a little bit of a thing in recent years, actually.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in this hypothetical, are we assuming here that the tariffs will eventually drag up the consumer pricing of domestic goods? Because "imported butter" and "european cheeses" aren't exactly staples of my fridge either

if there's a point i'm making it's probably that they probably aimed this to sound like they were sticking it to those enigmatic snooty coastal elites, because i'm squarely in the same income bracket as a lot of trump's base, and i'm still not quite seeing how this could affect me personally, at least directly

If people switch from buying those products to domestic products because of the price rise, supply and demand means the price of the domestic products will also rise, meaning you will have to pay more for them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

How do you make donair/gyro meat at home? Clearly it's a patchwork of meats, but bow do you do it?

I've used a fake doner meat recipe where you basically make a meatloaf and then bake it in a tin with a weight on top of the meat, then thinly slice. It's not a proper doner but it kinda works.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

How kinda works are we talking?

Still hits the spot after a few lagers with some homemade chili sauce?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^^ Heh? The cider I had at bars in the UK and Ireland were all lightly carbonated.

You don't go to a bar, you go to a farmhouse in the country in somewhere like Somerset or Devon and you take a plastic jerrycan which they will fill up for you. What you're after is generally called scrumpy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dino. posted:

She managed it though, and was settled in, when I rolled out the onion samosa

That is a very heartwarming story :3: but also i would like to know more about this

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I don't know about America but in the UK flour doesn't exist any more. I was smart enough to grab a 10lb bag a month ago but if I hadn't I would have no choice but to 'or die'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

al-azad posted:

Everybody worried about toilet paper hoarding and protecting hand sanitizer from resellers but I need the location of the active dry yeast black market, thanks.

My local Turkish supermarket has it, imported from somewhere that uses Cyrillic. For £1 ($1.30) per individual sachet. Black market is right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Resting Lich Face posted:

Is there a cook or die in the works?

If not I have an idea: meatballs!

I second this emotion

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

oh the thread continued

do they not have tomato hornworms in the UK? I thought they were worldwide pests.

I've never seen one. Wiki says America and Australia so you two can :hf: terrifying insect/invertebrate buddies!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

explosivo posted:

My family has a recipe for "filling balls" that has been made at thanksgiving for my entire life that's basically baseball sized wads of bread cubes, celery, onions, and a few eggs baked in the oven so they get a nice crunchy outside but warm, soft innards and for like 15 years I thought this was what filling/stuffing was. They are so goddamn good still warm and cut in half with gravy on.

For what it's worth stuffing often comes in balls in :britain:. More usually golf ball size though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Is this not due to it coming from a store bought tray and being served with an ice cream scoop though?

Err, nope? Like if you go to a restaurant it'll usually come in balls. If you buy the dry packet stuff it'll tell you both how to do it in a tray or make your own balls. The idea is you get more surface area with the latter and thus more crispiness I think. I would give Very Strange Looks to someone who served me cooked stuffing with an ice cream scoop.