Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Phlux, that sux :(

Anyone else having total meltdown levels of "Oh my god all the fresh produce is coming in but my Real Job prevents me from going on a pick-your-own fueled cooking and canning extravaganza"???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Oh my god that is the whitest loving thing I have ever seen anyone do. The write up in the NYT on CK from June 1st is cringe worthy painful to read

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh drat yeah!!! I have lots of time to cook this year ;)

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok for cast iron, get a chain mail scrubber. Changed my stance on cast iron completely- I haaaate the mess that salt plus oil makes when cleaning and of course I didn't want to scrub them with soap. Hot water and a chain mail scrubber will get everything off of the pan and then you can dry it off on the stove top.

Love it love it love it!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
So... am I going nuts or did Morton Kosher Salt change the size of their granules? I swear they feel different.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
so.. y'all have seen The 2016 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog right? Because goddamn if it's not the highlight of my year, every year.

MOTHERFUCKING TRUFFLE OIL posted:

If you use truffle oil on ANY dish, Geoffrey Zakarian appears in a cloud of silver fog in your kitchen and slaps the living poo poo out of you.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
I now am the proud owner of an InstaPot.

Please to be remitting to me recommendations for pressure cooker recipes, because holy cow I have made two so far and how the gently caress do they taste so goddamned good?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

this video makes me want to find a mic and drop it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qJ3MAPxS8

Dear holy lord that is amazing (and opening my own butcher shop is a life goal). I can only hope to be that awesome one day.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

theres a will theres moe posted:

I joined a CSA for a season about 8 years ago and every week went out of my way to pick up a big plastic bag of wilted mesclun or kale.

Once I got a small white onion. Once I got a huge amount of garlic scapes. Once I got a comically small bell pepper. Once I was supposed to get eggs but I showed up a day late and they had given them away to someone else.

For $350, I found it to be abaolutely not-worth-it. I assume my CSA just sort of sucked.

Counterpoint, I've had a veggie CSA for multiple years and LOVED IT. Yeah, you do have to be prepared to cook with the seasons, however I found it to be a great way to find new recipes and stuff, and I learned about all different kinds of veggies I had never tried before.

I got the Lancaster Farms CSA- they have different sized veggie CSA's and add-ons for pretty much anything you can imagine (meat, dairy, fruit, eggs, cheese, herbs, flowers, bread...). The quality of the food was incredible- even better than what I can buy in season at the farmer's market, in most cases. The fruit CSA blew my mind, and had the best nectarines, peaches, and watermelon I've ever had in my entire life (including ones I've grown myself and ones I've picked myself).

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Serious Eats has a really good post about trying to get the perfect smash burger; I'm phone posting right now or I'd pull it offa my bookmarks. Should be easy to find. I tried it last year over a plancha set over a fire pit and even using grocery store ground beef it made the best burgers I've ever made and possibly ever had. They were stupid good.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

I prefer marmite, but vegemite/marmite is great. I use it in salad dressings a lot.

Neat, I've got a jar hanging out in the cabinet- how do you utilize it in a salad dressing?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mix a little in with some oil and vinegar?
I can see that adding a lot of umami to a dressing.

I'm OK with Marm/Vege -mite in low doses... it has to melt completely into the butter. The first time I ever tried Marmite, I spread it on thick like peanut butter, I couldn't get that poo poo out of my teeth for like a day. It's like tar.

Yeah I can see that. I've only recently discovered Maggi seasoning so I'm still learning my way around umami bombs.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

vermin posted:

Offset smoker. I'm using lump and briquet charcoal, a chimney starter, and some hickory chunks. I'm just not used to starting and maintaining fires. In fact I'm in anti-talent territory. It's about 6 hours in now and it still has another 80 degrees to go but that's probably normal for this sort of thing I hope. Of course it started raining hard in the middle of all this but at least that's keeping it from getting too hot? It's mostly fluctuating between 150 and 300. I'm wondering at what point I give in and finish it on the propane grill where the temp's fairly consistent.

Pretty much every offset smoker out there other than a professionally built custom one isn't going to hold temp like you want. Much easier and more consistent to do a minion method smoke on a Weber (look it up) or buy a Pit Barrel Cooker ($300, made in the USA, absolutely loving amazing and is the easiest thing to smoke on ever).

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

vermin posted:

Is the Pit Barrel a smoker? I read somewhere that if you add wood to it it'll ignite and throw the temp control off. If you can use it as a smoker though I'll save up for that next spring.

And thanks, btw. I read up on the minion method. Im considering making a lovely DIY snake charcoal box so I can pull it off in the firebox. Or at the very least try an improvised version of it.

If I wrapped the wood chunks in foil without soaking them and poked a few holes in the top would that give me good smoke or bad smoke? poo poo man, barbecue information is conflicting I've read seasoned pit masters argue both sides of the argument on whether wood should smolder or ignite.

Pit barrel is a smoker, the way the air intake is set up everything in there will just smoulder one you put the lid on. I really like amazingribs.com for all things BBQ- they'll get you educated on minion method, pit barrel cookers, and everything in between.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, as much as I hear "oh only use kingsford blue bag!" Every single time I use that poo poo I get pissed at how it ashes itself to death.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

vermin posted:

Hey, hell of a pro-click. I've been soaking as much as I could in from Amazing Ribs since you mentioned them. Their Memphis Dust rub blew the barbecue rub I've been working on for a while out of the water. I smoked some chickens with it tonight and it was the best drat barbecue I ever made. I'm going to put to rest my old rub recipe, because it will never live up to it. Take it for a walk by the river. Talk about the old days. It won't feel a thing.

Good vibes your way friend. You have a good day tomorrow.

e: when I asked my dad if it was better than my own brand he immediately said Yes :qq: didn't even try to soften the blow lol

Awesome, glad to spread the love! That site is amazing and I highly recommend spending the money to get a subscription to the forums. People are GODDAMNED PASSIONATE about their BBQ and are happy to share expertise.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Seconded. Cúrate is tits.

I didn’t know anyone else knew about this place! Hands down best food I’ve had in my life. I was lucky enough to eat there twice in one week.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly I’ve found all of my yeasted anything turns out better if I do a long proof overnight in the fridge. My pizza dough does a 14 hour proof on the counter plus 48 hours in the fridge and it turns out amazing. Slow cold ferment is absolutely the way to go to get amazing bread flavor.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

If you have no other reason to have a KitchenAid they're a cheaper option for a dough kneader. Their core issue is their shittiness at replacing an oven. Timers are cool.

With slow ferment you don’t even need to knead. Just fold a couple times over the course of a few hours before you do the first proof on the counter.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Went to see Alton Brown's "Eat Your Science" show a few nights ago.

Total science demos: 2
Total songs he sings (poorly): 6
Total percentage of show that is him doing standup: 50

I was pretty underwhelmed. Looked like a vehicle for him to sell merchandise and not much else.

Same, I went Saturday night. I love the man but........... he’s not Weird Al nor is he Adam Savage and I feel like he’s trying a bit too hard to be both.

Honestly I think Kenji Lopez-Alt is the new Kitchen Science Dude and Alton should either start doing collab stuff with him and other Big Food People or just keep co-hosting shows on TFN and semi-retire with his bajillions of dollars.

Also apparently they’re doing a Good Eats reboot? And I’m like nooooo the horse is dead it’s been dead for years don’t!!!!!!!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anybody tried any Milk Street recipes? Pretension aside, I like Chris Kimball and I've listened to his career reboot company's podcasts, but not cooked anything from them yet.

Their ads for their eponymous cookbook tout a stovetop cake and a steamed chicken, which could be :psyduck: or could be ATK surprising tips reincarnated.

(Fake edit: after cursory googling, steamed chicken appears to be a regional thing, but stovetop cake still looks sketchy)

I think Milkstreet is actually really good, the recipes are well researched and stuff I’ve never heard of before. Definitely NOT flavorless, as that’s exactly why Kimball left CI. Most of the serious articles are ethnic stuff where the writer was in [country] for [a week to a month] and then went to find the most authentic [thing] and wrote up how it was made and the best way to re-create it at home. It’s the polar opposite of CI these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp, that sold me a cookbook. Butter chicken is gooood and for some reason i cannot for the life of me make daal right on the stovetop.

Sold me a cookbook too!