Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm terrified of this thread, because I'm fairly certain I'll be eaten alive for posting in it as I'm a terrified new cook, but I just had to speak up and say something.

Dino, I just bought your recipe book, and it has made me a very, very happy goon. I just went back to being vegan and I really hate fakemeat so your book is pretty much the holy grail for me. It's easy and not scary at all! Thank you for writing it.

Now could one of y'all please explain the difference between good cookware and poo poo to me? Because I have pans from 1902 and I'm kind of stupid about what is worth buying when it comes to the kitchen. I know it's not all the same, but it LOOKS that way if you have no idea what you're doing...

God I suck balls for not learning how to properly cook before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Fortunately I've quit the bodily fluids in a strive to be a better, and much less gross and confusing, person. Same with the whole "learning to cook" and all of the other "being an adult" things I'm trying out these days. It's an adventure! I am not good at it!

Thank you for the recommendations, dino. I'm painfully poor at the moment, but those three bits of kitchen magic sound doable on my budget. I actually didn't even know that pressure cookers were still something people bought. Shows what I know. I should say that I normally cook for myself and three other people. I assume that really wouldn't change much on recommendations. Four people isn't really much of a difference than one or two when it comes to buying pans, right?

As to other kitchen tools, I really do have the most wonderful collection of hideous but amazingly indestructible things. My rolling pin was made by my great grandfather. And there's this really groovy citrus juicer that my Mother bought in Mexico in the '70s that I have absolutely no idea how to use. It weighs approximately three tons.

I read those reviews, and rolled my eyes until IT HURT. People are morons, I can see why you hate them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I never put larger tomatoes in the refrigerator, but I have always put grape or cherry tomatoes in the fridge without thinking about it. It's never once occurred to me that this doesn't make sense. It actually bothers me deeply to think of leaving all types of tomatoes out on the counter together, but I don't know why. I've never even had a non-fridge tiny tomato. I'm an ignorant tomato segregationist and I never knew :cripes:

I can't live like this now that I'm enlightened. I'm gonna go buy some fresh, room temp grape tomatoes to taste and then leave out on the counter. The intolerance stops today.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 30, 2014

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Approximately how much better does this asafoetida taste in comparison to it's truly unholy smell? I've smelled it and immediately decided that: A) the first person who put that spice in their mouth was more adventurous or hungry than I'll ever be, and B) my fiance would leave me if I ever tried to keep that stuff at the house. It must taste of fairy farts and magic to be worth all the hassle of even having it around.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I showed my fiance the jook or die thread and a couple of episodes of Cooking With Dog. Came home yesterday to this surprise waiting for me:

with the note "There's noodles and veggies in the refrigerator, 25lbs of rice in the pantry, and the clerk at the Hong Kong Market picked the rest. I don't know if I got the right stuff, but I say we cook too much congee and pho and die happy anyway?"

His selection of goods hilarious, I don't think he has any idea what he bought. That's okay though, we're gonna have a good time figuring out how to use three types of banana ketchup and ten pounds of ginger. :3:

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 24, 2015

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Campari tastes amazing with high octane limoncello and Mountain Dew Voltage. Found that out this morning while making "please don't let this hangover be permanent" punch.

Don't get drunk in rural Texas.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, I needed a break from burning history books and buying new gun holsters.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Already in one, which is why the new holsters. Old ones weren't covered in enough confederate flags and rattlesnakes.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

therattle posted:

Join my gang. We're the Kilgore Goat-Fuckers. The South will rise again!

I've actually been to Kilgore. Like most of TX it's a shitheap.

Heeeeey! I'm with the Ram Riders out of Brazoria...you'd think the cabrito at the meet-ups would be more tender.

(LMAO at Kilgore being your definition of a Texas shitheap. That town has stoplights and everything.)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Chachere died in 1995, I'm sorry for your loss.

Prudhomme wrote my first cookbook and was my first TV chef, he will be very missed. That man lived a good life, if a tough one.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I went there on my honeymoon and all I remember is Fish Gaucho an their amazing cocktails and varied if slightly overpriced, food. Made an impression on a too high and way too drunk bride, at least. That's gotta be a good endorsement? Also we got a reservation with no effort, and probably could have just wandered in without it, so there's that.

Also Buona Tavola was good, but not worth the price. I'd say nothing was worth the price in PR, but I'm from Houston and spoiled.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 20, 2016

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh my gosh, that's so drat sad. I'm going to make all the meals I've been putting of since I started watching that channel. And probably serve my dogs some tempura chicken treats after hugging them ferociously.

What a good dog. So many people are saddened by this because all he did was sit patiently and watch Chef cook, just like us :3:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The warranty sounds like a nebulous bit of blunderbuss that could wriggle out of anything. Don't blame the woman, blame the shiffty legalese.

I broke my kitchen aide to the point of no return and it has made me so sad I sobbed. Fortunately my birthday is 5 days after christmas so I'll get a replacement. I'll have all the fun add-ons...anyone have some good ideas to break in my new toy? I admit to already being prepared to use the dough hook to an astonishing and, frankly, almost unsafe degree.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wouldn't eggless pasta just be super gloopy? I'm trying to imagine the texture and all I can think of is "pasty with a hint of glue". Not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious how they came out.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Clearly I'm an idiot that didn't have that experience? It still sounds terrible, and I'm vegan so tell me more!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Huh, wow I'm an idiot.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

holy poo poo i dont know what happened, but I put some lovely vodka into grape juice and omg i dont know what the gently caress happened. It tastes like lovely bacon/smoke flavor which is not what i expected from grape juice.

What the hell? I did that with some Taaka and off-brand grape juice once. Son of a bitch, it tasted like a terrible bbq sauce and smelled exactly like a sterno fire. I just assumed I'd drunkenly grabbed a glass that wasn't cleaned well. I'm kinda fascinated that this wasn't a one time phenomenon.

Incidentally just shooting straight and chasing with the grape juice did not produce this effect.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

haha it was taaka and store brand grape juice from concentrate

Okay now I just wanna go buy more Taaka and experiment with juices. I know it makes bad cranberry juice taste like ketchup. I'm sure my liver is excited about this.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Reminds me when I found 1.5L bottles of masala on sale for 2.50 so I grabbed a case of them and mixed with limeaid from concentrate.

Masala and limeaide: two great tastes that taste like they shouldn't even be in the same room at once. Dear lord that had to be bad.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Last I heard it was used drug needles and found cigarette butts, but that was before Sazerac came along and cleaned house. You're probably right. Personally I prefer McCormick? Less chemical waste and more paint thinner. Sure it has the same burn as a house on fire, but that just means it's working.

edit: King Cake flavored taaka is made with real babies dipped in flavorless frosting, but you didn't hear that from me.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 28, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I thought I was being stupid and missing some obvious links on the SeriousEats site. Good to know I'm not a blind moron.

I just wanted to make fish fragrant eggplant, why you gotta be a dick and make it a pain to find delicious recipes SeriousEats? I had to google you like a common plebe.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Jay Carney posted:

Besides his love of salt, what is most people's beef with his recipes? Even his social media seems innocuous to me. I haven't had anything of his turn out poorly tho I do use my own common sense when cooking...is it a preference thing? He does have a tendency to bludgeon the tongue (umami bombs left and right) but I'm down with that as an ex-chain smoker who is frequently congested.

He's a bit of a shill, baffling with his salt ratios, and lacks even a hint of charisma on camera or in print.

I'll never stop making his turchetta or Thai beef, though. Just use his recipes that you had to google and don't read the "slice of life" print. And maybe cut the salt by a 1/3.

e: LMAO BrianBoitano coming in with the triple lutz.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 1, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're gonna call him a shill, please back it up with any shred of evidence. His whole brand is that he tests everything and doesn't take money to promote products. If you have any evidence of that happening, it would be a huge deal.

You know, I have to give you this one. Outside of being a suos vide obsessive and a pizza-thing snob I can't think of a single thing he's hocked for. Good point there. I think I'm probably conflating him with every other food oerson that has A Brand.

He's still exhausting though.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I always appreciate a restaurant that understands being a severe type 1 diabetic. Two decent low-sugar options and maybe a light fruit dessert or cheese plate can mean the world to me. They're oddly rare, too so it's extra amazing. Also having a server that doesn't say "Oh come on, you're sure you don't want a drink/giant cheesecake?" after I refuse is nice.

Diet Ginger beer would just have me moving into their dry storage room to beg for pints of the stuff. GodDAMN, I'd love that.

I miss going out to eat so much :(

E: I meant to add that it's extremely wonderful if the low sugar/dietetic options are noted on the menu or website. It's very hard to guess, even as a former cook, what's actually in a dish. Getting confirmation that my wild guess won't mean me burning a bunch of insulin is amazing. Also exceptionally hard to do truthfully, I do understand this.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 11, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

DaStampede posted:

No sugar, no caffeine, diet, and non-alcohic? So, water.

Don't be an idiot. He straight up mentions diet ginger beer in the post. There's legions of delicious things to drink that full under those needs. Seltzer with lemon, lime and bitters is the best drink on earth. If you can't think of a drink without sugar or booze that's delicious, then you are extremely tiresome.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I only use organic single batch salt harvested from Polish mines by blind slaves and I only drink artisan charcoal water made with sustainable locally processed spring water and charcoal naturally found in ancient burial sites.

I am okay with this because it stops the lambs screaming in my brain, telling me I'm not spending enough on life.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's just green food dye, it'll still taste like meat and potpourri stew. That hashtag looks passive-aggressive as gently caress haha.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
How in the world did you come to rest on tahini as your replacement for cream? I don't think that would have even crossed my mind as a substitution there.

Having said that, I'd eat tahini broccoli soup. It would at least be something new.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I collect those Church/Auxiliary Ladies cookbooks myself. Down here there are always a fair few interesting and fun new techniques for cooking offal or game. We're a town made up of more cows than people and more deer than cows and 15x more squirrels than anything else including trees. It's always great to peel a few old pages apart and find a fun recipe for squirrel and dewberry stuffed venison loin. I find a new weird recipe for veal brains every time I flip through em.

As for normal cookbooks, I read them cover to cover like a delicious novel and then mentally note what I wanted to make out of them. I'd say this works out approximately never, but it's a method.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What hotels is he staying at that he is willing to use their knives? Gross. Out of everything on that horror show page, the thought of using a weekly hotel suite kitchenette knife is the most disturbed. Those aren't really a thing, yes? People don't stay in public housing and just grab the nearest blade and go about making food with it.

That guy is soylent-stupid and terrible at self promotion. I bet he breaks a million in sales by April.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

You understand the concept of "cleaning" yes? Do you bring your own knives to restaurants?

I would bring my own knives if I was the cook, yes. You really don't think it's weird to just randomly use kitchen gear that you have no idea where it's been or how it was used? That's insanity to me.

I travel with my knives like a normal person. Good grief.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Besides quality, what does not knowing what they've been used for matter?

I guess wood handled knives could harbor bacteria despite cleaning, but otoh wooden cutting boards are more anti microbial than plastic so shrug

It's the general idea of I have no idea what this was used on and where and who used it. Plus gently caress yes quality. Come to think of it, I have never cooked in a hotel room or air bnb kitchen. I might have A Thing.

I still travel with my knives because a food-based emergency can happen anytime.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's not nachos until you're eating a loose casserole of delicious flavor. If you don't need a spoon by the end of the plate, you've failed at nachos.

I call all of the pickled jalapenos. Also a margarita or three supplemented with the flask in my purse. gently caress drat I love Chachos. Everyone go to one immediately.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I didn't even know weirdos used white vinager for any good meat. We use Bragg raw unfiltered ACV for anything redneck-taco related. Find that brand if you can, totally worth it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I will mix up tomato juice (or clamato in my case), worcestershire, hot sauce and horseradish in a shot glass the night I drink like a champion. I toss that over two raw eggs cracked in a pint glass in the morning. Adding the mix to the raw egg and letting it set overnight will just make that even less appealing in the worst way, but mixing up everything but the egg makes it DTs proof.

I don't know if it cures a hangover, but it keeps me from shaking too much before I can function.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Seolleongtang