Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No literal thermometer, just a display.

The temp is clearly wrong, so I’m figuring 30@425 is probably better. Broccoli/sweetpote/garlic cloves, if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

The temp is clearly wrong, so I’m figuring 30@425 is probably better. Broccoli/sweetpote/garlic cloves, if it matters.

Is broccoli a root vegetable? Mine cooks in about 10-12 mins at 180C.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Wait, you said root veg so I was thinking beets and parsnips etc.
Broccoli is 10-15, garlic cloves 5-10

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah if I'm doing broccoli florets it's like 425-450 for like 10 minutes. You can tell when cruciferous veggies are roasted correctly cuz they'll smell amazing.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Pollyanna posted:

Just get a thermometer for 5 bux if you bake at all. First time I used this oven I burned the hell out of dinner - turns out it runs 75F hotter than the dial says. Fortunately the dial is in 25F increments so I can compensate easily.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah my number was for like carrots and parsnips

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought and seasoned a carbon steel wok last night. This morning I made bacon in it because I saw a suggestion that you should feed it fat early in its life.

I can see myself falling in love with this thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I cook broccoli and carrots together usually, then I started adding sweet potato too. I guess they don't all cook at the same rate v:v:v

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought and seasoned a carbon steel wok last night. This morning I made bacon in it because I saw a suggestion that you should feed it fat early in its life.

I can see myself falling in love with this thing.

And then the wok roared again...it had been fed, but not satiated. It was hungry...for blood.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
from the schad thread:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If this gets buried underneath the hot oil stupid steak schad I might ask again in a page or two:

Are there any things that an otherwise unremarkable restaurant can do that totally wins you over? I'm a sucker for home made jam in a breakfast place, especially when you can buy jars of that jam to take home (related to my current snack.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Real maple syrup, like real real.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

If this gets buried underneath the hot oil stupid steak schad I might ask again in a page or two:

Are there any things that an otherwise unremarkable restaurant can do that totally wins you over? I'm a sucker for home made jam in a breakfast place, especially when you can buy jars of that jam to take home (related to my current snack.)

have anchovies on their caesar

have hot chicken

have $3-5 glasses of wine, or bottles under $20-25

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Good rolls or bread, butter that's not rock hard, sensible portions, good salads, good dressing, not charging me for soda water, selection of local breweries on tap.

I eat primarily salads when eating out, so the more interesting stuff you can put on a salad, the better. Like, small portions of grilled meat or fish, nicely presented on a big bed of greens and sliced veg. Dressing on the side. A really good salad is what impresses me most, and I fondly remember many restaurants with excellent salad. I once had a bacon pecan salad in St. Louis that made me cry (after 3 days stuck in Tennessee eating only badly fried food).

So if you can have like three good meal salads on top of like the regular side garden and cesar, I'm more likely to go back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mindphlux posted:

have hot chicken

oooh real anchovies in anything is good. So few pizza places keep em around these days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

When they serve a drat fine cup of coffee.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mindphlux posted:

i’m always torn on this because on one hand anchovies rule but on the other the og recipe used worchestershire, anchovies were later cooks kickin it up a notch

either one is better than bottled dressing though

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Casu Marzu posted:

When they serve a drat fine cup of coffee.

this one is a big one for me. especially if it’s still a standard bigass institutional drip machine but you can taste that they obviously aren’t buying bottom-tier beans or skimping on the brew strength

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dressing on the side.

A well dressed salad is one of mine too. I can't stand dressing on the side, so I frequently ask for half dressing mixed in but even that is often too much :argh:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
More than one veggie option, and preferably not just [vegetable] risotto.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
When you order tea and get a pot and a cup rather than a cup and a teabag. 😍

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like the San Pedro Fish Markets Habanero sauce. It's a spicy slather it in sauce. Dave's Insanity is really hot and good to use as an ingredient.

Yeah Dave's insanity is very very hot and has a good flavor. I like to mix in into hummus and have addictively burn-y pretzel sticks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

have hot chicken

get out of my head, phlux.

All this (especially the anchovies,) plus good personable service that is not overbearing.

Oh, and tasty candy delivered with the check. There's this one place that gives out melon candy and it's a great way to end a meal.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, a good salad or a real cup of coffee are two of mine. Two simple things that get hosed up more often than not.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Quality salad and house-preserves are good ones. Simple things that just show the restaurant gives a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJUbmGDc6k

A decent, generous cheese-board is a good sign. I'll take that over standard desserts at least half the time if it's worth it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BraveUlysses posted:

from the schad thread:

Hahahahahah

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh another one I just thought of is non-alcoholic options that are actually interesting, especially if there are some non-sugar non-caffeine ones. When I see a place has home-made ginger beer, or even better... a diet ginger beer I'm like :vince:

I also appreciate when servers don't get snotty when I don't order alcohol.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I always appreciate a restaurant that understands being a severe type 1 diabetic. Two decent low-sugar options and maybe a light fruit dessert or cheese plate can mean the world to me. They're oddly rare, too so it's extra amazing. Also having a server that doesn't say "Oh come on, you're sure you don't want a drink/giant cheesecake?" after I refuse is nice.

Diet Ginger beer would just have me moving into their dry storage room to beg for pints of the stuff. GodDAMN, I'd love that.

I miss going out to eat so much :(

E: I meant to add that it's extremely wonderful if the low sugar/dietetic options are noted on the menu or website. It's very hard to guess, even as a former cook, what's actually in a dish. Getting confirmation that my wild guess won't mean me burning a bunch of insulin is amazing. Also exceptionally hard to do truthfully, I do understand this.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 11, 2018

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

CommonShore posted:

Oh another one I just thought of is non-alcoholic options that are actually interesting, especially if there are some non-sugar non-caffeine ones. When I see a place has home-made ginger beer, or even better... a diet ginger beer I'm like :vince:

I also appreciate when servers don't get snotty when I don't order alcohol.

No sugar, no caffeine, diet, and non-alcohic? So, water.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really appreciate restaurants that have seltzer on tap for free.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

DaStampede posted:

No sugar, no caffeine, diet, and non-alcohic? So, water.

Don't be an idiot. He straight up mentions diet ginger beer in the post. There's legions of delicious things to drink that full under those needs. Seltzer with lemon, lime and bitters is the best drink on earth. If you can't think of a drink without sugar or booze that's delicious, then you are extremely tiresome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Or nice herbal teas, or a decaf cappucino. I'm a straight up sucker for diet root beer.

But yeah. That's basically how some servers act. "sigh, so you're -not- going to get drunk and rack up a $120 bill? I guess I won't pay any attention to you, then. Enjoy your water that I'm not going to refill."

fizzymercy posted:

I always appreciate a restaurant that understands being a severe type 1 diabetic. Two decent low-sugar options and maybe a light fruit dessert or cheese plate can mean the world to me. They're oddly rare, too so it's extra amazing. Also having a server that doesn't say "Oh come on, you're sure you don't want a drink/giant cheesecake?" after I refuse is nice.

I've had servers keep pushing beer/coctails on me after I ask what the non-alcoholic options are. One even said "well you can have one, right?"

No, gently caress you, I can't, and I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 11, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Restaurants that try to do things "less complicated" very well instead of trying to do something complicated/trendy quick and dirty to try and cash in are huge to me. I've worked at one, been to many, and read menus of innumerable of the second type, and it seems like so many of them want to be doing something exciting, but the moment they realize how much work it is, find shortcut after shortcut that they think no one will notice until they're just making bad food that doesn't resonate. Some of the meals that have impressed me the most have been at restaurants that choose something they want to do and work hard to both do it well and do it in a way that doesn't feel samey. Menus that have some selection without being sprawling, and a limited number of "concession dishes" that only exist for the lovely friend who gets taken to a good restaurant by his/her friends with adult palates (or parents who bring kids, but that's ever what comes to mind first for me, I assume as a byproduct of being in the upper midwest).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

CommonShore posted:

Or nice herbal teas, or a decaf cappucino. I'm a straight up sucker for diet root beer.

But yeah. That's basically how some servers act. "sigh, so you're -not- going to get drunk and rack up a $120 bill? I guess I won't pay any attention to you, then. Enjoy your water that I'm not going to refill."

I've had servers keep pushing beer/coctails on me after I ask what the non-alcoholic options are. One even said "well you can have one, right?"

No, gently caress you, I can't, and I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

When we went to Costa Di Mare in Vegas we didn't want to drink an entire bottle of 600 dollar wine and just wanted a few cocktail with dinner. The waiter seemed super pissed we didn't want wine and didn't want to order all 6 courses . I won't ever go back, once was enough.

Edit: we still rang up a 400 dollar bill so... There is that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really good bread. Alternatively, a place that takes rice seriously.

Organ meats.

Lamb at a reasonable price.

Diet Irn Bru.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I don’t really drink anymore and can’t remember the last time a waiter acted snobby about me not ordering booze, which is a good thing for them bc I would flip the gently caress out.

I live in New York and travel a lot and get plenty of bad service everywhere but haven’t really seen it booze related, though it does help that most my friends family and coworkers are toeing the line of alcoholism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that old garlic cannot, in fact, be salvaged by roasting it. :barf:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Diet Irn Bru.

Wiggles got to be Wiggles.

How about Moxie Cola?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Like 60 percent of the US doesn't even drink. I can't recall flack when I haven't when out.

I appreciate always having water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Like 60 percent of the US doesn't even drink. I can't recall flack when I haven't when out.

I appreciate always having water.
I guess depending on what kind of restaurant you go to, if they make a lot/most of their money from wine sales, it might be frowned upon if you stay for a while and don't drink.

Your stat is wrong though: According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.