Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fp15195coll34

They loving love boiled meat though:

Round of beef a la mode sounds an awful lot like svíčková, the Czech national dish. It's pretty tasty. I should probably do a thread about it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

To finer cut the peel. :colbert:

I never liked the stuff anyway. Tasted too much of peel. Don't eat the peel when I eat an orange; not going to start eating it in jam.
Marmalade is hit or miss for me. One of my friends sent me a jar of blood orange marmalade for Christmas, and it's spectacular. Most commercial brands either have too much pith or are oversweetened.

Mư’t Tă‘c, on the other hand, are loving delicious.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I am decidedly pro-lobster and mostly agree with Halal on this one. Crab can be more intensely flavored, but lobster has its own taste that can definitely stand out when prepared correctly. Or you can smother it with butter-soaked panko and potato-chip-sized slices of truffle. Either way works for me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SubG posted:

How do you feel about your foreskin?
Like Charleton Heston felt about his guns.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

That they can get your foreskin when they pry it from your cold dead hands?

Dude!
Yup.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I mean for fucks sake. do you think you're even being clever or ?

a. innus & gunn is poo poo.
b. you think you're namedropping, but you aren't - innus & gunn is poo poo
c. there are like a million other readily available english and scottish real ales that are a billion times better - and you choose innus & gunn, which is poo poo.
d. you think you're being clever and/or manly by suggesting innus & gunn is a low abv beer, but in reality you can't even drink 2 goddamn pbrs without 1. vomitting and/or 2. passing out and
e. there are a number of actually low abv milds available in your state which would be perfectly suitable to your non-drinking of alcohol status, equally as namedroppy, and which wouldn't make you look like a loving oval office on the internet!
I rather liked the Innis and Gunn rum cask aged stuff that showed up in Vegas this year. It wasn't a must-have-every-day beer or anything, but quite pleasant and paired well with the food. I'm mystified why they decided to bottle in clear glass, though. It makes me afraid to buy it after maybe a month.

bunnielab posted:

We did a blind taste test of cheap beers (PBR, HighLife, Bud, Natty Bo, Coors) and HL was the clear winner. It has a much cleaner finish then the rest and actually has some flavor to it. We did also note it is the fizzyest, as fits it's claim to be the champaign of beers.
I'm not sure this is an apt comparison, since champagne - especially higher-end champagne - spends a significant time on lees in the bottle, which results in smaller bubbles and more silky/less explosive carbonation compared to force-carbonated or less-aged alternatives like cava, prosecco, etc. I'd expect the Champagne of Beers to seem less carbonated than its similarly-budgeted cohorts.

:spergin:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

Also, a question, is then and than interchangeable?
It depends if you want to write like a typical English speaker or if you want to do it correctly. Phummus explained it pretty well; than is comparative, then is sequential.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

The effect of using affect when you mean effect is negatively affecting the effectiveness of bringing your meaning across.
I love everything about this sentence.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hawkgirl posted:

Does it help to know that the last consonant of each is the same lip movement, but one is voiced and one is not? "Limp" ends with the sound of the lips moving apart, "limb" ends with that sound plus your actual voice. If I had bothered to actually learn IPA I could probably explain this better.

Actually "limb" ends with the bilabial nasal. The "b" is silent just as it is in "lamb." "Limp" ends with an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I had a good boy scouting experience. We did a lot of camping, toured an Air Force base once, learned a lot of little quality-of-civic-life things that nobody teaches like how to retire a worn out flag, proper distance between latrine and campfire, and how to prepare a whole meal using nothing but a pocket knife, aluminum foil, and a magnifying glass. We did a two week stint in the Boundary Waters carrying everything on our backs, which was a hell of a lot of fun. Also having Eagle Scout in my resume is apparently some kind of magical gets-things-done endorsement to a lot of HR people.

Phummus posted:

Edit: If you had a quart of raw milk, what would you make with it?
Cheese.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phummus posted:

Give me more to work with here. I've made cheese with just milk and an acid (Lemon juice or vinegar) before. I've never done a renant cheese. Any suggestions for what kind of cheese would be most desirable?

The kind of cheese where raw milk makes the most difference is the one we're not allowed to buy in the US because food nazis. If you're feeling up to a challenge and have the proper facilities, do something soft ripened like brie or camembert. If not, feta is easier than most cheeses and absolutely delicious.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, this is certainly something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen of GWS, I present the new Best Culinary Product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ5-M0CmYTs

:patriot:

Discovery blog about it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Go to a Santana's or a Roberto's, then you'll understand. Some places it's also called a "stoner burrito" or a "surfer burrito". Make sure you get the grilled green onions.
Roberto's is so bad, though. At least it is in Vegas. Next time you're down here, try Tacos el Gordo on Charleston just east of Maryland. Most of the chain is in Mexico City, but for some reason they decided to put one here to spread the light of amazing tacos. They've got carne asada, cabeza, tripas, and the king of all tacos, adobada. And these grilled green onions and jalapenos that bore their way through me in less than an hour, they're magical.

I mean seriously, look at this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Macaroni posted:

That is Mr. Al loving Pastor right there.

Edit: Or more properly, Señor Al Chingada Pastor.
Actually that's Señor Al Chingada Adobada.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I didn't know there was a Roberto's in Vegas. Actually I didn't know they had really expanded outside of run down old Taco Bell buildings in southern california. Which is incidentally where you find Santana's most of the time.

Does the Roberto's in Vegas offer tacos de sesos? This is the determining factor of it's authenticity. If not, it's either an imposter or that group of resturaunts has fallen sadly in the dozen years I've lived in Nevada.
I've never asked for tacos de sesos, but they're not on the website menu (which says they have locations in SoCal as well, so it's probably the same outfit). Maybe it's an off-menu kind of thing. There are probably 30 Roberto's locations around Vegas, many of them close to other taquerias. Up in NLV they're mostly recognizable as the only restaurant with English on their signage, which I don't regard as a sign of quality.

That said, they make good drunk food and have a location near most of the good bars in town. They're handy and not terrible. That counts for a lot.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Less bitching about your continual failure to follow forum rules, more cooking.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hey ISF? The chat thread generally has expanded boundaries for acceptable posting, and PXJ and I try not to do much in the way of moderation here. Most everyone seems happier with that arrangement most of the time.

In the spirit of that congeniality, I'm going to simply say publicly that your post was significantly over the line in both abject stupidity and condescension, and you should probably consider not making posts like that in GWS again. Ever.

Also, everything Happy Hat said.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Halalelujah posted:

Hopefully my liver doesn't enter shutdown!

That sounds like my weekend. Beer dinner with friends tonight, including a few really rare beers. Saturday brunch with the family, then I'll spend all afternoon/evening cooking beets for a secret project. Beet cooking always brings out my inner Russian, so there'll no doubt be some vodka involved in the process. Sunday I've got a sour beer tasting with friends likely to include 10+ year old stuff from some of the best breweries in Belgium, accompanied by cheeses designed to pair with such beers. If the alcohol doesn't make me comatose, the resulting jihad of gut fauna from introducing multiple strains of brettanomyces, pediococcus and lactobacillus will probably make me wish it had.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SYFY HYPHY posted:

The best part of this (other than anything that HH says in general) is that ISF has been trying to kill his family with bad SV for a couple years. But no one banned him at the time when he was reported for it.
A lot of people seem to think being Wrong On The Internet is worthy of probation/ban. That's really not the case. If you're Wrong often enough, they might even make you a mod.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

drat, Phummus. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bunny Ears Lawyer posted:

In or on the top.
I would like to put the spinach in, but I'm a little put off by the nuts.
I did make up a blue cheese and peperoni sandwich a few days ago and adored it, so I thought maybe cured/deli meats would go well?
Walnuts and blue cheese are a classic pairing and are fantastic together. You might not want to mix them into your pasta, but definitely give the combo a try at some point.

I think you're right that some cured meats would work, but it's probably a case-by-case basis. I like therattle's suggestion of bresaola - beef goes particularly well with blue cheese, and bresaola's curing/drying means it will be strong enough to stand up to the cheese. Otherwise look for fermented charcuterie - Spanish chorizo, linguiça, and the like should go well. I don't cook with pepperoni much, but it has some of the same flavors and would probably work. Give it a try and let us know how it is.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The more I read Happy Hat, the more I realize his prose shares a lot with the poetry of Walt Whitman. Maybe it's tempo, maybe it's word choice, or some other, undefinable aesthetic thing. Maybe it's the raw, unabashed sexuality that occasionally comes to the fore. There is a wild, creative genius behind his writing that I find quite compelling, and it reminds me very much of one of America's greatest.

Happy Hat for Poet Laureate of GWS.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My dinner last night was mostly organic, but not because it was certified - it was just grown that way because we don't use pesticides or any of that stuff (we don't need to.) It didn't make me feel better because of that, though. It just made me feel good because it tasted good.
Don't worry, Mr. Wiggles. I'm sure nobody here would ever accuse you of being sanctimonious or insufferable about anything.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

well that was a loving memorial day weekend

Yes. Yes it was. Friday night I had a bunch of beers at a friend's house, along with some grilled ribs they called BBQ. Saturday I took a couple pounds of cheese (Beecher's cheddar, Brie de Meaux, and Tomme de Crayeuse for those curious) and a bottle of 1995 Semillon to an old wine tasting and got to try some great wines, including Robert Mondavi Reserve from the days Robert himself was still in charge and some 11 year old Chateauneuf du Pape. There were only eight of us, but we somehow managed to get a noise complaint called on us. The cops were more apologetic than anything. Sunday I went to another friend's house with some homemade bread and butter pickles and had Icelandic lamb from my favorite sheep dairy covered with rosemary and garlic and grilled to perfection, plus some delicious sides, some more Chateauneuf du Pape and a very special bottle of Hermitage. Dessert was about a half pound of cheesecake doused with Barolo-stewed pears.

I needed Monday to recover. I stayed in and cooked beef bourguignon and played Diablo III all day.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Riptor posted:

i'm so glad you guys chose not to just throw a glob of uncooked pizza dough into the fruit salad thanks guys
It's pretty amazing how many people use food words without knowing what they mean. I knew someone whose boss was super gung-ho for his Low Carb Diet and complained about not losing any weight. She pointed out his daily venti caramel macchiato. His response: "Wait, sugar is a carbohydrate?"

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Joborgzorz posted:

Then again, all the people who don't even know what gluten is trying to avoid it means there's a glut (heh) of gluten-free things more readily available.
Yeah, in my opinion the main positive impact of Atkins and the like is more products for diabetics and better product labeling for everyone. Improved labeling is always a good thing (especially if it scares people). It's really stupid seeing more gluten-free flours than regular flours at Whole Foods, but it's fantastic for people who legitimately need such products. If companies have to make the bulk of their cash from stupid people without legitimate health issues, I'm mostly okay with that.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

dino. posted:

My boss loves Coldplay and Simon & Garfunkel, both of whom I've grown to appreciate more and more over the years.
Can't say I'm much for Coldplay, but I play a lot of Simon and Garfunkel. Their early stuff especially - Wednesday Morning, 3am is simply an amazing album start to finish.

quote:

For Indian stuff, Anoushka Shankar is doing some wicked good stuff,
I lost track of her after Breathing Under Water, which still features in my iphone rotation. I should probably check out her newer album at some point.

quote:

Oh. Also, Tuvan throat singing.
dino.: right about music. I could prattle on about throat singing for longer than is probably healthy. Yat Kha and Huun Huur Tu both get play time during my work day. Headphones save me a lot of stares from coworkers, I'm sure.

I enjoyed Raising Sand, the Alison Krauss/Robert Plant collaboration, more than I expected to.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I have a rabbit! What should I do with it? It's just under 3 pounds total. I found it for a good price but I've never done anything with rabbit before...
Love him and pet him and call him George.

Last weekend at the farmers market they had pickling cukes, garlic, serrano chiles and dill. So of course I made spicy pickles. Just cracked open a jar and they're fantastic. It's nice to make stuff from what passes for local around here.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone been to Guadalajara, Jalisco and have interesting restaurant recommendations? Internet sources are hit or miss, mostly on the miss side. And a related question, I need some listening material for travel time that isn't music. The profusion of food podcasts on iTunes leaves me bewildered by their variety. Which, if any, are good at discussing culture, history, and food, or are at least listenable and interesting, rather than just being "three things to do with a carrot" or "how to make high meat for your raw diet?"

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah I realize it's a massive city with lots of choices. The plan so far is just wander around and eat things on an encounter basis rather than going somewhere specific, but if I can guide us in the direction of one or two really great spots that would be fine too.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's nothing really knock-your-socks-off then, that I can think of, with the exception of the standard Taqueria de Guadalajara on every block, which are all about the same level. Just look out for the ones that are the most crowded, but you know that. Same goes for the street carts selling the tortas that they dip in sauce (messy but really good and very filling.

Why are you going down?

I've wanted a torta ahogada since I first learned about them a couple of years ago. Last time I was in San Diego, the restaurant next to my hotel had a sign in the window advertising tortas ahogadas and I was super-excited to finally get one. I went in, sat down, and when I tried to order they told me they didn't sell torta ahogada. Sort of ruined my whole day.

One of my buddies is having some family drama, and his in-laws disinvited him from the family vacation at the last minute. He already had the vacation request in at work and couldn't cancel, so we decided to go to Jalisco instead. He's got some industry contacts, so we're going to get some tours and hopefully private tastings at some tequilerias. I'd like to take a day trip to see the Guachimontones as well, but that's still up in the air. Plus one or two evenings in Tijuana to see what Bourdain missed. Should be a good time.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Charmmi posted:

I had a super good America Day. I ate three ears of corn. And then I ate a whole pile of oysters, some steamed some raw. I shucked my first oyster ever yesterday, and then a few more. I did not cut or stab myself. I played with my cat and then some video games and then did some crochet. I even had time to get a nap in before bedtime. Everything pretty much happened the way I wanted it to and that makes me feel pretty good.
I took fifteen pounds of Iowa pork belly that I'd previously cured, soaked some American apple wood in real Kentucky bourbon, and smoked that belly to make Freedom Bacon. I ground ten pounds of beef round and ten pounds of chuck for burgers and threw most of it in the freezer, ensuring my ground meat needs are taken care of for a half year or so. I made some nice big rolls with lots of chunky grains in them. Then I made succotash with fresh chickpeas I shelled myself, grilled a burger, put the burger on one of the buns I made, and put some stinky as gently caress cheese (Grayson), kimchi, and Freedom Bacon on it.

All day puttering in the kitchen is pretty fun, especially with liberal application of booze.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 5, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which, he replies like within an hour to my (much better worded and properly capitalized+punctuated version) of the above question.

Oh what, you'll do it for Ruhlman but we're not important enough? :mad:

I've been in Tijuana for a day and eaten ceviche and/or aguachile at three food carts. Mostly local clams, they have chocoláte ones that are the size of a fist but really tender plus pata de mula which are blood red inside. Also had manta ray and tuna fin soup. Dinner last night was at Misión 19, Javier Plascencia's newest place, and the tasting menu was the equal of any high-end place in Vegas. 8 courses with wine and beer pairings and coffee, $115 apiece.

People need to go to Tijuana for food. It's a great town, and feels just as safe as any big city in the US.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Oh sure, I ask for podcast recommendations before going on my trip and nobody says poo poo, then dino asks and everyone's full of suggestions. :mad:

It's okay. I still love you guys. Gonna check out Desert Island Discs, it sounds really interesting.

Wiggles, that pork dish sounds sort of Polish and sort of Slovak but not really either. Mostly it just sounds delicious.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

Then it's reception time - where the true quality of the wedding is judged.
This is the social truth too many people are afraid to speak. Like a lot of people, some of my friends from college got married shortly after graduating. One of the them was a literal shotgun wedding (the father of the bride painted his shotgun white and brought it to the ceremony) in rural Minnesota. The pastor was quick, the service short and sweet. When we got to the reception, the father of the bride - apparently much relieved that things had gone as planned - paid for open bar for the wedding party. Best reception ever. We drank premium Long Islands and danced the chicken dance until 3am.

Another was at an expensive purpose-built picturesque wedding factory place outside San Diego. Dry reception. A dry wedding reception is the worst thing. Know what happens when you have a dry reception? It forces your guests to devote their energies to something else. In our case, we were off in a corner making a pool on how long the marriage would last. (I missed winning by one goddamn week.)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not necessarily. Everyone was driving away from our wedding in pretty heavy traffic. We didn't have a drop to drink because we weren't going to be morally responsible for stupid people DUI'ing or whatever. Especially after a death in my husband's family involving drunk driving.

So if your guests aren't going to be able to work off the alcohol or have a DD and they have a good ways to drive, it might even be for the better.
The key is to invite responsible adults to your wedding.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The world would be a better place if everyone had to support themselves for at least one year working a tip-dependent job.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I ate my first softshell crab in the Reading Terminal Market. It was lightly breaded and fried, served on a bun with a splort of mayo and some lettuce, and absolutely amazing.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I found something that makes Yelp reviews tolerable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaSC7qVRL0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kkISYgM4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

I'm in the upper Midwest in my entire workgroup is all Mexican nationals. one of the nice things we do here at work is we provide lunch for all the employees every day. periodically, we make "Mexican food".

The workers look at the food and you can tell they're thinking "what the gently caress is wrong with these white people?"

A few days a year, we have one of our workers make lunch. They go out and buy all the supplies they want, and have the morning to prepare meals for the rest of the factory.

Everybody raves about how good the food is when this actually happens.
I work with a bunch of people who think "cooking" is throwing the Lean Cuisine in the microwave for three minutes. Our potlucks suck. On the bright side, I've become some kind of office culinary god because I don't bring Costco sandwich trays or Rotel-Velveeta nacho dip. People ask me for cooking advice. It feels weird when a 40-something mother of three comes to me to learn the basics of making a hamburger.

Once a year, the office staff and the tradesmen (I work in a maintenance department, the office folks do payroll and paperwork so the guys with marketable skills get to use them) get together for a big 500-person potluck. That's when the good stuff comes out. We have a good ethnic cross section in our shops, most of whom can cook, so there's everything from freshly-made lumpia to Thai papaya salad to carne asada made by people who know what the gently caress they're doing. And all my officemates bring KFC/Subway/Costco pies to contribute to this marvel of American food diversity. :sigh: