Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The original Modernist Cuisine recipe did that, boiling in barely any water and adding the remainder to the sauce. It also added some iota carrageenan, about 1/8th weight of citrate added, but I've seen almost no recipes calling for that in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Has there been a Don't Cook Or Die for lacto fermentation yet? That might be fun, and easily done since pretty much any fruit or vegetable can be used.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Can confirm.

I made a lacto-fermented hab sauce with garlic, ginger, and sesame a couple years ago that was A+ tasty.

I've got some mustard fermenting right now with habs, Sichuan peppercorns, turmeric, ginger, lavender, and fenugreek. It's going to be floral, herbal, and spicy as hell and I'm really excited for it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've been working on improving my pasta game during quarantine, lately filled ones. Like most basic cooking things, it's way more nuanced, technical, and difficult than people might expect. It's relatively easy to get a sheet of pasta and put stuff in it; it's hard to make it thin enough to be delicate, while still holding the filling. I'm a long way from perfect but showing improvement with every new attempt.

Pierogi-like sauerkraut/pork things with kale pesto and braised red cabbage. They were heavy, and I didn't have a well-shaped sheet so they ended up being cobbled together in whatever way I could manage. Edible, but far from my best main course. The cabbage was loving GREAT, though.

I pressure cooked some beef shanks with soffritto for an hour, then shredded it and mixed with just enough of the reduced stock to make it stick together. Filled ravioli with it, and used the rest of the stock as a base for a highly-reduced tomato/anchovy sauce. While the ravioli were a bit thick and I had some trouble getting the air bubbles out of some of them, I was pleased with the uniformity of my pasta sheet. I need to work on making it slightly thinner (it's probably a little dry, making that more difficult). On the bright side, the sauce was probably the best tomato-based thing I've ever made.

I may have to try my hand at sourdough in a week or two, but right now I've got some asparagus and some Sichuan-style green beans fermenting on my counter, so I'm pretty much out of experimentation space.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That Works posted:

I've been having a lot of olives and gin and dry vermouth myself.

I remember in the before times, when people said using alcohol as a coping mechanism was always bad and if you found yourself doing it you should stop drinking entirely.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

From general pedagogy - knowledge can be learned perfectly without doing (percentages of salt, "done" internal temperature) while skills need to be practiced, such as kneading and testing pasta for doneness.

Both can allow you to adjust on the fly, knowing the difference really just helps if you are having problems to figure if you need to read more or practice more.

Knowledge: the/an ideal ratio for rolled sheet pasta is 100g flour to 55g egg, plus however much liquid, if any, it takes to make the dough feel right
Skill: doing that second part correctly every time (this is one of the things I'm still bad at)

Gonna try to do handmade lasagna noodles tomorrow, and take a nice lasagna over to the parents for dinner. Or at least a functional lasagna, even if it isn't nice. But skill takes practice and at least I know my lasagna fundamentals won't let me down.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This week's pasta experiment was lasagna. I made a fresh basil/walnut pesto instead of tomato sauce, and mixed up a quick beef/pork fennel sausage since I have a lot of ground meat in my freezer at the moment. Turned out pretty good.

And for dessert, I took the rest of the ricotta and whipped it with orange blossom honey and ground pistachios. It, too, turned out pretty good.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Carillon posted:

I've been adding cardamon to my coffee when I grind it and it adds a really nice flavor.

I do that sometimes too, it's great.

Anyone ever tried cooking or fermenting the leaves on the outside of a cauliflower? I had an especially nice head of it and decided to shred up the greens and turn them into sauerkraut. It's a brassica, it should work.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thanks for the cauliflower input, folks. The leaves are happily sitting on the counter in brine, bubbles just starting to form. I'll leave it for at least a week before tasting.

As for the head of cauliflower, I tried a new technique sort of based on something my mother read in a Bon Appetite or something. Apparently it's a Hmong restaurant's way of doing green beans, but I figured it was a good idea for almost any veg and I was right:

Large skillet over medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of oil in it, probably 2-3mm coating the bottom. Get it hot, then press the veg (cut 1-2cm thick, this ain't rocket surgery) down into the pan in a single layer. Leave it undisturbed for at least 3 minutes, more like 5 with the cauliflower. Flip and repeat with the other side. Dredge in crispy-fried shallots and just enough oyster sauce to coat. The cauliflower edges got crispy and almost-burned, it got tender but still a bit crunchy on the inside, and it turns out oyster sauce tastes good on pretty much anything.

The original recipe calls for some fresh ginger and garlic, which of course would make it even better, but I'm out of both right now and not going shopping until next week. Still, it's a great dish and I'll be trying it on pretty much any other veg I can think of.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I went to the local Mexican market and they had cabeza de res (cow head meat) for cheap. So I made a braising liquid with chiles (morita, negro, pequin, arbol, and some fresh habaneros), onion, oregano, bay leaves, cumin, and coriander and let it boil for five hours while I worked on other projects. Those projects included salsa brava, which has become one of my favorite condiments. I ended up making tacos de cabeza as good as any I've had in a taqueria.

I picked up some manteca and made a batch of carnitas for the first time too. They turned out okay, but I'll make a lot of improvements next time I try them - mostly cooking for longer on a more aggressive heat to get them crisping up more. On the plus side, I strained the lard and now I have a big jar of citrus/cinnamon/clove-scented fat to cook with. I'm thinking about making some shortbread cookies with it this weekend to see how that works out.

Along with that, I'll be making something with pork tongue. Not sure what yet, but I'm leaning toward Czech-style goulash with big fluffy steamed dumplings and pickled red cabbage.

Cooking is therapy. How are you all doing?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We've adjusted to our Vegas summer eating schedule, which means a nice frittata in the dark of the morning after the gym, and just light things throughout the day. However, because all of the tiki bars were closed, I became my very own tiki bar. I've never owned so many rums, falernums, or kooky accoutrements before, and I'm afraid I went a bit into the deep end. Like, so much so that my wife and I decided that one of the design criteria for the house we hope to buy in a few years is that it has to have a room which opens to the pool area that we can deck out in 100% tiki style. I'm gonna give Golden Tiki a run for their money.

I've been picking up a tiki habit as well. I made my own falernum a couple of weeks ago. It's surprisingly easy, took about a half hour plus a couple of days' worth of soak time. If you have a chance, stop by the Las Vegas Distillery. They make a 50% molasses/50% malt "Rumsky," and the barrel aged version was just bottled. It's a great mix of cane sweetness, barrel vanilla, and grainy funk and it goes really well in a lot of cocktails.

Tomorrow's Food Project is borscht with pork tongue, and some kind of apricot/plum tart. If I have time I'll try to make a couple of shrubs with the leftover fruit bits for more cocktail variety.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wanna eat that sausage.

Extremely same. I've been craving Lotus of Siam sai oua.

Eat This Glob posted:

I cant say I've ever cooked or had pork tongue. Is it like beef tongue where you have to par cook it to get the "skin" off, or does it come ready to cook? I braising the preferred cooking method, or can you treat it like any lean meat? I'm intrigued!

I haven't cooked with it before either. I'm treating it like beef tongue - I just took it out after 2.5 hours of boiling and it looks like it should peel well enough. We'll see when it's cool in an hour or so. Then, back into the pot with garlic, onion, beets, and celery for another couple of hours.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Treating it like beef tongue was, more or less, the right thing to do. A two-hour simmer left it chewy but edible, and there was a skin on top of the tongue that was easily removed after cooling. There was some slightly more tough coating on the underside and sides of the tongue, but after chopping it and boiling for another hour it was completely edible and delicious. Also, I love borscht and should cook it more often.

The flavor is definitely porky, but there's a flavor I associate with beef tongue that exists there too. Basically it's a pork + lengua flavor profile and should be delicious in any context one or both of those work. Buy all the pork tongue. It's probably cheap as hell and definitely delicious.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

I can't believe Lowtax couldn't just rake in the internet bux and not abuse people. Again. And yet here we are.

Really? Because I can. Maybe that's due to seeing too much as a mod, though. I didn't expect something like this, but I am not surprised.

I barely use Discord and haven't had to use Slack at all, but whatever y'all settle on I'll adapt.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Midniter posted:

A few months ago I saw a variety pack of meats from Olympia Provisions on sale at Woot and pulled the trigger. I'd seen some of their operation when Brad Leone from Bon Appetit visited them to learn to make sausage and figured I'd try their wares. It came with a dry salami, chorizo rioja, small cured ham, hot dogs, kielbasa, and bratwurst.

I froze everything but the salamis as my wife's not super into that stuff and I try not to indulge too much, but I've been snacking on them the past week and they are just the best salamis I've ever had. It's honestly like I've never eaten a good dried, cured sausage before. The amount of flavor in just one small slice of each is just incredible. I find myself slicing off little bits even when I'm not hungry and just letting the fat dissolve on my tongue. I can only hope the rest of the stuff I froze is as high-quality. The pack wasn't cheap, but I already know I got my money's worth.

Also, this is not a paid advertisement, I swear. I just needed to tell someone about how drat good this stuff is.

I went to Olympia Provisions for brunch when I was visiting a friend in Portland. It was the best meal I had there. They do amazing charcuterie (including a stellar, tiny nduja meat pie served hot), but the hero of the plate was the huge variety of pickles. I ordered a Bloody Mary and it came with an entire skewer full of different pickled things - asparagus, radish, pearl onion, green bean, two kinds of cucumber, whole brussels sprout, etc. Each one had a different flavor profile and was perfect in its own way. I asked the bartender if the radishes were fermented or vinegar pickled and she said, "Let me go as our Pickle Master." Yeah, they have a Pickle Master. And he answers questions. And he does fantastic work.

So basically what I'm saying is Olympia is awesome, charcuterie is awesome, pickles are awesome, and I want to travel so loving badly right now.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mediaphage posted:

yeah we just talked about this like five posts up. i'm not convinced of anything until / unless contracts are signed. even then....eh.

I don't have a law degree, but from what I understand there are likely to be some major issues with data security/registration regulations and the site changing hands, or something. If they go through any kind of normal channel anyhow. And if they don't that might open everyone to legal problems. At least according to someone I was talking to, who does have a law degree and is somewhat familiar with the whole SA system. Hard to say for sure, but it's definitely not as easy flipping a switch and changing some registry entries.

mediaphage posted:

also as has been mentioned in the thread in gbs a few times now, the idea that mod sass is probatable or worse, depending, is one of the worst administrative things about this entire forum. it's absurd, since it stifles necessary criticism (i'm sorry, i will forever maintain whirled peas as one of the worst things to happen to gws).

Some of y'all took to whirled peas as well as Trumpists take to mask wearing. Tribalism is a hell of a drug, regardless of flavor.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dominoes posted:

I've been struggling trying to make corn tortillas for the past 2 months. Finally figured it out. The recipes you find with google leave out key details or are too vague. eg, The top link when searching `how to make corn tortillas` on Google

"If at any point through the tortilla making process the dough seems too dry or too wet, add a little more water or masa to the dough."
There's a narrow window of water content between crumbly and wet surface. These are your bounds. I've found somewhere in the middle's a safe bet, unless you plan to let the dough sit before cooking - then err towards the wet side, but not slimy. The ratio depends significantly on the brand of Masa used.

"Make about 16-18 balls from the dough. Form balls of dough: Pinch off a piece of the masa dough and rub it between your hands to shape it into a ball the size of a plum, or slightly large golf ball."
Make as many as you'd like to eat. 60 grams per tortilla works well for tacos, although this depends on the water/masa ratio used.

"Gently close the press and press down, until the dough has spread to a diameter of 4 to 5 inches."
The details here depend on the press you're using, but you want the torts to be as thin as you can make, without them falling apart. Some presses/techniques may make the edges fade to nothing instead of press evenly; this may cause the edge to tear when removing from the press, or cooking. See note below about oil.

"Heat a griddle or a large skillet on high heat."
Not helpful. A good temp is 190° - 220°C. Start on the higher end, due to the temp drop when adding the dough. Adjust heat as required to maintain this range.

"Cook the tortilla on one side, then flip: Cook the tortilla on the hot pan for 30 seconds to a minute on each side. The tortilla should be lightly toasted and little air pockets forming."
30 s isn't long enough to get toasted or form air pockets. (Maybe at 220°C +? Haven't tested enough.) ~90s per side seems to work, assuming you maintain the temp listed above.

Adding oil to the dough significantly improves structural integrity. Without oil, as most recipes suggest, the torts fall apart during either removal from press, or flipping, unless you make them thick, at which point the result becomes bready, and falls apart when you fold it. There may be other clever ways to improve structural integrity besides adding fat. Any ideas? In wheat, gluten provides this (Cross-linking?), but this is absent with corn.

What's been your experience?

The following advice is for corn tortillas. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to become moderately competent at making them. I can do it, but any abuela who saw me try would just laugh. Still, they turn out edible. Thoughts:

Be careful what masa you use. Don't buy instant, it's poo poo. I buy pre-mixed masa at a Mexican market. Some of them use instant, but Cardena's at least does not. And they prep it every day, so it's freshly rehydrated. It usually needs a drop or two of water per tortilla to work properly for me, which I figure is the difference between ideal hand-made texture and what works for the tortilla-making machine they have.

Take a plastic shopping bag and cut a couple of squares. One goes under the masa ball, the other goes on top. This will let you press out the masa and peel the tortilla off the press without it falling apart, without having to add oil. (Fat is only added to masa used for things like tamales, and then it should be lard. Mmmmm, lard.) Don't use a sandwich or storage bag, those are too thick. A super-thin translucent shopping bag is the right thickness. This is such a common kitchen hack that the California plastic bag ban caused a major crisis among latino homes about how to properly press tortillas, and some of my friends still ship plastic bags into California to be given out to those in need.

If the tortilla won't gently peel off the plastic, it's over-hydrated. Add a bit of masa and try again. If the edges of the tortilla crack or split at all, it's not hydrated enough; scrape it off the plastic, ball it up, add (literally) a drop or two of water and try again.

Lay a toothpick or other thin piece of wood on the side of the press that makes the tortilla too thin if you have difficulty stopping it at the right point. You're right, this is a major difference between presses and down to individual variation. It took me a long time to get consistent tortilla thickness and I still sometimes gently caress up.

I have never found a griddle that was too hot for tortilla making. I set mine to its max of 450F (232C) and that's not hot enough. I have to use a cast iron pan on the hottest burner of my stove, it's 550F/290C or higher. poo poo needs to be NASA hot.

"Little air pockets" is understating it. The tortilla should inflate like a whoopie cushion. Otherwise it'll be heavy. If it doesn't inflate and seems mostly done, flip it one more time and press lightly in the middle of the tortilla for a moment. This might encourage it to puff properly. If it doesn't, don't get frustrated - this is where I realize I hosed something up most of the time. It's a delicate process. Eat it (it'll still be delicious) and try again.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 3, 2020

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I enjoy doubling everything in a cookie recipe but forgetting to double the leavening.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

oh god I still have a $200 gift card from my dad from like 4 years ago

Congratulations on your purchase of a new 6" saute pan.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bad tonic is loving gross and there's a lot of bad tonic out there. Good tonic is pretty tolerable.

Gin is nice with a straw.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The key for summer borscht, besides serving cold, is tons of fresh dill to brighten it up.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

I hate dill which is why I mentioned mint. Mint and beetroot is very good.

I should try that some time, it sounds good. And I love mint.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I am officially out of Easter candy. Time to wait until Halloween for great half price candy.

Pro tip, big Asian supermarket chains like HMart and 99 Ranch have TONS of leftover holiday candy that gets deeply discounted. All the classics, like Reese's. And the candy hoarders almost never go there to stock up.

I usually hit up the CVS and Walgreens around me. They get the good poo poo - Russel Stover truffle eggs, Cadbury mini eggs, multiple Reese's variants - and always have a ton left over. Depending on how locked down I am (guessing 100% still) and how the shopping timing works out, maybe I'll check out 99 Ranch after Halloween to see what they've got.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Egg salad is weird. And wrong. Same thing with ham salad. :colbert:

This is a wrong opinion. Every kind of egg salad is amazing. Ham salad: also delicious, though sometimes prone to spamminess.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's 110 degrees here and I just grilled a bunch of chiles (pasilla, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim), tomatillos, tomatoes, and onions. Tonight is pork tongue mole tostadas with lard-refried beans, three fresh salsas, and chile relleno casserole. But for now, I'm sitting down and drinking ice water because holy gently caress does grilling over a 700-degree grill suck in this weather.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Carillon posted:

Do you boil the tongue ahead of time and peel it?

I boil it for an hour or two, then peel/slice off the thicker skin at the back of the tongue. The "skin" on the front of the tongue isn't really thick enough to matter after another 3-4 hours of simmering in sauce. Beef tongue seems to need a lot more peeling than pork.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SubG posted:

Chilocuiles (dunno about the white ones) are also sometimes eaten raw, which I've never tried, or dried. One of the ways the dried ones are consumed is ground up with salt and chili powder, which tastes like a smoky seasoned salt.

I think this is what's called sal de gusano, which is a pretty common ingredient in Baja cooking from what I've seen. I've never used it, but if I'm going to eat worms a ground-up version seems like the easiest way to start.

A whole tomato horn worm, even fried up enticingly like Gravity posted, is a big nope from me at this point. Maybe after society collapses and I'm forced to subsist on whatever I can gather in the killing fields of suburban Vegas I'll consider it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of protein powders use worm to get the protein up so you've probably had it already!

I've never used a protein powder for anything so uh, probably not. But I'm not opposed to insect protein in general. When I was in Jalisco I had chapulines (grasshoppers) and while the preparation was kinda bad I didn't hate the bugs themselves. Would try again.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually just take pruning shears and snip em and they usually deflate into a pool of guts and, like, a shockingly large amount of plant pulp. I feel like fried hornworm sticks would be like horror film mozzerella sticks.

That was my thought to. So big, plump, and juicy, like a hot dog casing full of pus.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

toplitzin posted:

I once hickory smoked a cheesecake.

It tasted like a hotdog flavored cheesecake.

A friend of mine smoked a bunch of luxardo cherries and made it into a pie and it was loving amazing. So desserts can work with smoke. I just don't know how to do it without hotdog problems.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

For those of you who've enjoyed watching Doņa Ángela on De Me Casa a Tu Cocina, I give you Doņa Chabelita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVX9NkNK0jU

Brilliant way of skinning the chicken feet. Regular use of hands in boiling or near-boiling water. SHE STIRS THE TOASTING CHILES ON THE COMAL BY HAND WTF. She's amazing.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Eeyo posted:

Neat! Did she only use the ancho seeds or did she use the guajillo seeds as well? (I don't speak spanish lol).

Yes. She said the guajillo seeds would make it too spicy.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Guajillos are pretty low on the heat scale in my experience, but yeah, crossbreeding and local environmental factors can change that a lot. I also don't use seeds for most applications (because they can make things pretty bitter), so I wouldn't have known certain seeds add more spice than others. I'd expect most of the heat to be in the ribs and membranes, rather than in the actual seed.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sad news, friends. Cecilia Chiang, owner of San Francisco institution The Mandarin and one of the first links to Chinese traditional cooking in the US, has died at the age of 100.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/28/dining/cecilia-chiang-dead.html

I just watched Soul of a Banquet a couple of weeks ago. She seemed like a super neat lady and I would've loved to interview her for a few thousand hours. I hope someone did.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dried mushrooms are inexpensive if you have access to an Asian market, and they're fantastic on their own or as a broth enrichment device. You might also consider some potted herbs to give the cooking some freshness.

Depending on your source, yes, it's almost always worth bulk purchasing meat if you have the storage space because economy of scale can bring down your per-meal price by quite a bit. If you can find a butcher offering whole sides of beef and have room, it's a significant initial outlay for a huge number of meals - and you can usually get some spare soup bones and off cuts thrown in for a pittance since so many people just don't want them. For poultry, I tend to pick up whole chickens and then some extra hindquarters, because thighs and drums are a lot more versatile but sometimes you just want a whole chicken for roasting.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If you have a shitload of garlic, put it in a jar and pour in enough soy sauce to cover. Fridge is fine then. It's probably shelf stable too (botulism isn't halo-tolerant) but I kept it in the fridge for 3 years and all it got was darker and more umami-tasting. The soy sauce runoff was great too.

Garlic also ferments well. Weigh garlic and enough water to cover it in whatever you're keeping it in, then add 3% of that total in salt and leave it on the counter for a week or three. Keep in the fridge after that, or bump the salt up to 5-6% and it should be shelf stable if all of the Vietnamese restaurants with pickled garlic on their tables around here are anything to go by. Sadly, onions don't ferment well on their own so this doesn't work with them.

Dark is more important than anything else with onions; if they have light they'll try to grow and the sprouting will make the bulb pithy. Keep them in a double-layer paper bag or in a cabinet or something. On the bright side, even if your onion gets a little soft on the outside the inner layers can still be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dried homemade bread (mom still bakes regularly and saves a bit of every loaf as Turkey Tribute), onions and celery briefly boiled in turkey broth (we buy extra necks and make broth with them for this plus extra gravy), turkey shreds (the neck meat plus, sometimes, the giblets) which of course could be omitted, a bunch of butter, eggs, and liberal amounts of poultry seasoning and salt. We never measure, but it's important the raw stuffing be very moist and sticky from the broth and eggs. We don't put it in the bird, mostly because we break down the bird and treat white/dark meats separately so they both cook perfectly. Instead we pack it into several earthenware roasters and put them in the oven a couple of hours before service.

Sometimes we forget the butter and it's noticeably less good, so don't do that. I may try using duck fat instead of butter this year, since we've scaled down and it's just the three of us this year. Still got a 20-pound bird, though. I loves me some sandwiches.