Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

pnumoman posted:

Not so much because of the flavor, but water chestnuts and lotus root drive me up a wall. That squeaky, styrofoam-like texture disturbs me so much, I just can't stand it.

I absolutely know what you mean, my mother has made a water chestnut appetizer forever and every so often I try one but I just have an issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Agreed with the lavender, I don't understand it... it isn't a nice dessert flavour. Even when it's done really well it's still not great and I just thinking about all the different more awesome flavours you could have used instead.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I freely admit it's a personal taste thing, was just agreeing with Kiteless. I don't have a huge appreciation for floral flavours at the best of times and lavender really hits that button.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Yeah, rose is about my only exception to the rule. If only for rose turkish delight.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

kiteless posted:

I hear ya dino. Except replace "moved away" with "had babbies", so now it's either their place, our place but watch the kid like a hawk so he doesn't break stuff or hurt himself and then go home in 2 hurs when they get fussy. Going out anywhere is mostly out of the question, or regulated to babysitter availability. Which is almost never. It sucks.

What Kiteless said except add to that clingy wives (or in one case a husband) that get pissy when the partner isn't home any instant they aren't at work. I've had to shut down our hockey team because these people can't stand up to their mates to demand 3 hours a week for only 2.5 months of the year to come out see old friends and get exercise.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Halalelujah posted:

This is like every girl I date.

I sadly have to agree.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I miss my enamel, it's buried in a ton of cooking boxes til I get my new place though :(

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I was working on the far side of the city today and managed to hit up the good chinese butcher on the way home. Char siu and noodles tomorrow, a big batch of bao sunday and some really nice duck as well. *drool*

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Yeah, Atlantic Canada has them too. I'm told they aren't as bad as you'd think they would be, but still terrible.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Ugh, fun stuff.

On the home front here I got my 3rd runner up to the person offered the job. Always the bridesmaid... *sniffle*

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Wroughtirony posted:

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT

That's fantastic... we only have sports teams. Oh, and your ham radio callsign if you want, but no special image so it's basically just a custom plate.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Having been to North Dakota more times than I'd care to admit or remember, I have no doubts whatsoever that Olive Garden is, indeed, the best restaurant in Grand Forks. When your main competition is Buffalo Wild Wings and Shakey's Pizza, well duh.

That being said, holy poo poo do I miss Shakey's Pizza.

Whitey's is (was? I heard rumours they'd shut down or been bought out) much better than anyway out on the hotel/retail strip. Incredibly appropriate name for grand forks but both times I ate there it was a damned good meal. That said if I go cross border I usually make the effort to go to Fargo these days which has tons more choices and a bit more quality. And yes, like AGE I've been to NoDak way way too often.

I just got the terrible news that I'm supposed to have no citrus and minimal tomatoes until the fall. Summer without citrus and tomatoes makes me sad.

Toast fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 8, 2012

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Explain yourself, because that's rough.

I have a mysterious throat ailment, one of the possible causes is acid related and if I can solve it this way I may avoid basically having my throat roto-rootered. I'm hoping to god it's not permanent.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

He actually didn't mention vinegar but yeah, probably that too. Zero vinegar is never going to happen though.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

kiteless posted:

What about wine? And beer? :(

Nothing carbonated either, and minimal alcohol (not forbidden though). Never drink coffee anyway but yeah, no caffeine.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Phummus posted:

If its acid errosion of your throat it is semi-permanent. First, you'll be given the option to have the throat stretching done under a local or a general anesthesia. The correct answer here is general every time. They'll say "Lets try it with local first" to which you answer "No loving way"

The time between stretchings varies, but is usually between every 6 months to every couple years.

Expect about a day for recovery time.

Yeah, if it comes to that there's not a chance I'd let them do it without a general.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Halalelujah posted:

That doesn't even work well. I think you need to just really, really love boobs to get off on it. Thrusting away at someone's chest isn't even close to erotic otherwise.

And be drunk... And use some form of hilarious lube...

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Wroughtirony posted:

Or you could be really insecure, terrified of feminine sexuality and unable to see your partner as anything but a masturbation aid.

If you want to learn more, I can put you in touch with my ex!

Pretty much ;)

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

There's an episode of HIMYM where Marshall is apparently super bugged about Affect verus Effect...

I have to admit it bothers me too, but nowhere near as much as people using Accept/Except interchangeably. ESPECIALLY in situations where it completely reverses the meaning of their message.

"Pay by cash/debit/credit: We now except Mastercard" *facepalm*

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I loved scouts and was a leader for years after being in the program, the american ones always scared me a bit though. When I was in the program I was always considered the responsible one so I was the first one to get girls when the program went coed around 1990 oh, and I got the juvey kids when for some reason they joined too. One of them was totally criminal, the other one was just some kid with a learning disability who got taken advantage of by some bad "friends."

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

dino. posted:

At work, we generally do 3 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked and then boiled. To which it's 1 cup of tahini, 1 cup of x.v. olive oil, 3/4 cup lemon juice, 1 1/2 TB salt, 3 TB of minced garlic (not the stuff in the jar; you take a bunch of peeled garlic, and then mince it), and roughly 3/4 cups water. Mind you, this goes in the fuckoff huge food processor, so if yours is less than 14 cups, scale back a bit. It ends up making around 5 lbs of hummus.

I should really try making it to this recipe (cut down a bit for a domestic FP) and taking/pics throwing it on the wiki as I don't think we have a hummus recipe up there.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

That was fantastic.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

That dinner sounded amazing too.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Man, that was a busy week for being unemployed. Freelance can be a pain. Culinary chat seems rather tame for having barely looked at it in a while, what's wrong with you guys?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I like turtles posted:

photos...

How... how... how do you misidentify Il Duomo as the vatican if you've actually been there? (And honestly even if you haven't and know anything about italy)

Still, maybe he's an idiot that makes good pasta.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

lovely news Phummus, here's hoping for the best though.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Glad to hear it, while not pleasant that's certainly way better than the alternatives.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Your lifestyle can be unique or not, it cannot be somewhat unique. Unique is an absolute.

I think misuse of unique is my single greatest word pet peeve at the moment. I was meeting with a client last week who kept saying super-unique and "we want to do it just like X so we're unique."

I wanted to stabbity stab...

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

I think that might be simultaneously the best and worst thing I've ever heard.

I died a little inside.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

wafflesnsegways posted:

But why are we even having that conversation in the first place? Someone came in and asked a question about avoiding gluten, and then had to spend several big posts proving that they actually have a reason for avoiding gluten. A while back, I said something about reducing saturated fat in my diet, and ended up giving my medical history to shut up someone who kept insisting that saturated fat is good for me. That's lovely.

Because you (or whoever asks about whatever diet) likely the 8000th person the people in this forum have seen ask that question and 7992 of them were self diagnosing, believing some random nonsense pseudoscience etc... etc... etc... I don't say it condones every snarky response (and certainly some people consistently go over the line here) but these kind of questions are right up there with "I'm poor, teach me how to make ramen more interesting" posts for some.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh hey since joy shared is joy doubled, I figured I'd share that my youngest daughter (now just over a year old) had been determined to be NED (no evidence of disease).

She's officially cancer free for the first time in her life. I feel like I can breathe for the first time in a year.

Great news, congrats to you guys!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

Uhh...does anyone know if smoke compounds stay intact after digestion? I just did my business, and my bathroom smelled like applewood afterwards.

:butt:

Smokepoops...

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought I made a post but apparently I didn't.

Anyway, I went allrecipes.com on an allrecipes.com recipe yesterday. I made fresh peach ice cream, but wanted to serve it to my kids, so I omitted the raw egg. I also increased the amount of peach puree, and took the extra step of sending it through a chinois. I also added fresh lemon and a little more sugar than the recipe called for. The end result was probably somewhere around 7 or 8 percent butterfat, so lower than ice cream but more than sherbet. It does have a very sherbet like mouth feel and flavor though.

I give the recipe 4 stars, would make again.

That sounds great, I've never found a really good peach ice cream recipe, it always comes out too goopy.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Going to have to give it a try once I hit the market. Thanks.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Dane posted:

Some worthless excuse for a human being broke in (smashing the new door and a window) and used a skilsaw to cut out the induction burners and the oven. Not happy with just stealing, they decided to smash up the sinks in both kitchen and bathrooms and broke the cistern for the toilet - so in addition to the damage to door and window, there's now water damage all over.

Did someone do the work for you? Breaking into a cottage on spec and grabbing recently installed kitchen stuff (and doing it properly so as not to damage them) kind of seems suspiciously convenient? I had a friend who had his cottage robbed of a fridge/dishwasher and it turned out it was the installer's assistant scouting places for him and his buddies to rob.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I don't have kids and I'm grateful that I can spend 16 hours making ironic salad that I don't get to eat until 3am.

Then take a picture of it with instagram

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Vegetable Melange posted:

Yeah, you live on that dope little corridor where you could pretend Brooklyn is about twelve blocks long and not mind too badly. Reminds me that I need to dip over to Paisanos and make sausage, maybe for my homie's birthday.

Also, I'm seeing a girl who is totally rad and a vegetarian who doesn't get food boners like we all do. What do I do, internet? Which is to say, vegetarian cookbook suggestions, please.

Aside from dino's?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I got:

-Bad food court noodle shop at downtown underground mall
-bad diner that no longer exists
-Vegan food commune that doesn't serve anything edible other than dessert
-chinese place (admittedly great) that hasn't existed for a while
-wine bar that lasted 6 months 3 years ago

Only saved from fast food by the fact that none really exists within a 3 block radius of the default winnipeg location.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Chips, not French fries. Not just a quibble about English vs. American, but because they are different things.

And chip butties are really delicious.

Oh for the love of god chips are french fries, 90% of the chips I've had in the U.K. are identical to 90% of non-fast food fries I've had in NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Fine fine, british potatoes are magic

For the record though, either as the only filling in a sandwich is ridiculously stupid.