Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I got my first two days off in a row in six months. gently caress if I left the house. Ordered pizza and drank an entire bottle of bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

What did you do with the remaining 47.5 hours?

Absolutely nothing useful. It was glorious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

yeah, this was the first thing that popped into my mind too. that's WAY too specific of something to steal. and who the gently caress steals a stove?

sounds like whoever did the work really loving hates you or you missed an invoice or something :(

Or your contractor was a cheap gently caress who used day laborers instead of having his own crew.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gentlemen, I have been blessed by the pork gods. My butcher caught me while I was picking up some bacon ends, and sold me 20lbs of pork tenderloin... at $1.98 per pound.

After the recent terrible bullshit recipe capers, I feel I must do this justice while feeding my poor rear end. So, half of it is being brined in apple juice with fresh rosemary and a bit of bourbon, to be either braised or smoked depending on how motivated I get.

What should I do with the other half, beyond the obvious of slicing it up and having a week's worth of chops?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Man, I'm poor as gently caress. I'm not going to go buy all his specialized ingredients just not waste them on that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Additional Catte.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I like the fact the International Chilli Society rules say a chilli can contain literally anything except beans and pasta. You can make it out of battery acid and rubber tyres as long as there's no beans in there. If that's the Mecca of chilli then it's a loving stupid Mecca. All the winners of the International (?) Chilli cookoffs just throw commercial chilli blends, albeit a lot of them, in with some commercial stock, tinned tomatoes and there you go. Is that the pinnacle of chilli cooking?

It is if your definition of chili is so incredibly narrow that you can hit it straight in the numbers with a commercial blend every time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I usually brine my pork loin in hard apple (or pear) cider with some fresh rosemary stalks and salt overnight, then hit it with cracked pepper and paprika and either roast it in the oven or grill it whole.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I like using thin-sliced tart apples (Granny Smith for preference) as a pickle replacement, so those could go well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *honk* wh whw hwatsad whatss that ?????? :siren: oh a post from like a week ago

I blame all the mods

who are not me

as mod

Don't look at me, I just work here. :v:

That said I would like to see this place be more active as well. Most of the conversation lately is confined to the megathreads.

I think the best way we have previously brought in traffic has been ICSA, and while I'm not up to run another one myself yet, if someone else wants to I will throw out an ad to get it more eyes on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I generally just bake it and serve with butter and liberal application of salt and pepper.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

This is what middle America thinks pizza looks like.

I assure you, it isn't.

That's terrifying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

so, when I was a kid I did ceramics for like 8 or so years and got pretty good. I forgot this was one of my skills until my gal and I started taking a class together several months back.

I've got my mojo back and have successfully made some really awesome serving bowls, some pretty mediocre coffee mugs, a couple sugar jars, utensil holders, etc. making a tagine and a fermenting crock are next up on my list.

would anyone be interested in a. either a thread about ceramic dishware or b. commissioning something being made? I'm just practicing now, but there's definitely a point where I can only use so many custom soup bowls or whatever, and they just start collecting around my house.

God yes, please post it. Making your own dishes isn't something we've really seen here much, and it sounds very interesting!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's when I end up with a bunch of Little Debbie poo poo in my cart

God, that struggle is real. I'm not supposed to be eating sugar on account of being a giant fatman, but the siren song of Little Debbie is brutally tempting if I'm shopping hungry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I had some absolutely ridiculous dark chocolate Guinness ice cream a couple years ago that I would love more of. Rich as sin, but not super-sweet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I asked a buddy who worked at Mi Casa up in Woodstock and he says it's deli american cheese + cream + diced jalapenos. I'd say the sodium citrate would add insurance. Hell I need to use this big bag I have anyway, might do that this weekend.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The stuff we served at the bar was white american cheese, cream, diced jalapenos, and a little cayenne.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sextro posted:

You ruined it.

Now. What's the best meatball.

Ham balls.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You could buy five pounds of dry-aged quality ribeye for the same price.

Think about that for a moment.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I take strip over ribeye any day.

You poor soul.

Show me on the cow where the bad men touched you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

thread question: what goes best or worst on a steak? Assume "nothing" is not an option. Feel free to vary by cut and quality.

Best, especially for making a lovely cut like Chuck steak good : Coarse salt, cracked pepper, little bit of celery seed and Lea & Perrin's.

Worst : Canned nacho cheese sauce.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

I can not eat raw tomatoes, at all. I gag on them for whatever reason. Sauce, sure, but raw? gently caress that.

Is this story time?

I worked at a Dairy Queen in high school, with a bunch of stoners.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Was it cool?

It wasn't bad. We listened to a shitload of ska, since that was the loving stone age.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gravy sounds like a much better topic. Let's go with that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

What the hell? I did that with some Taaka and off-brand grape juice once. Son of a bitch, it tasted like a terrible bbq sauce and smelled exactly like a sterno fire. I just assumed I'd drunkenly grabbed a glass that wasn't cleaned well. I'm kinda fascinated that this wasn't a one time phenomenon.

Incidentally just shooting straight and chasing with the grape juice did not produce this effect.

The lovely artificial grape flavor is denaturing under alcohol. It's magic!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

maybe I'm completely out of touch with food service (I've never worked a food job) but I had no idea there was such thing as an underground greasetrap that is big enough to drown a child. :stare:

Yeah, they're a requirement here. New restaurants have to have a minimum 1000 gallon grease trap, up to 5000 gallons depending on seating numbers and hours of operation. That's a big tank of greywater and floating fat under the parking lot, for the most part.

Saved the city a shitload of money so far on plumbing repairs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

therattle posted:

With no-knead you don't even need that. It's just a great way of baking.

Yeah, my usual home bread is fridge-fermented no-knead. The most working it gets is being shaped into a boulle to bake.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

Amazing how you can take all the joy out of describing bird sex. Now lemme pull up to that cloaca, girl, and let’s get it on.

I pause here to remind you that this is a turkey:

There is nothing about one of these fat bastard birds trying to shag that wouldn't be hilarious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

hi, yes, I'll have the sandwich^2 special, thanks

I dunno, I've eaten a lot of square sandwiches.

Five Guys will make you a sandwich^3 if you ask, but that's a lot of greasy burger meat to jam down your throat hole.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

theres a will theres moe posted:

I'm a long time fan of pressure cooking. Yesterday I came across this:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

And it motivated me to buy an instant pot and that cookbook today.

Just made and ate that butter chicken and goddamn, how easy and fast and great. I was skeptical of the instant pot but man it sure makes things more convenient than a normal pressure cooker.

Welp, that sold me a cookbook. Butter chicken is gooood and for some reason i cannot for the life of me make daal right on the stovetop.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Ok, but the thing is that it's a one-pot recipe anyway. And you'd cook egg noodles for 8 minutes in a regular pot. So here's a recipe for the same thing I make regularly because it's fast and cheap and comfort food for my partner. (And no canned cream soup because gross.) They're both the same process, you brown beef, add onions/veg/spices, add liquid/noodles, cook for 8 minutes. It takes less than 30 minutes (why it says 50 minutes I don't know because it doesn't).

So for a recipe that is exactly the same without the pressure cooker, then my question is why? It's like people making lasagne in a crockpot just because they can. Here's hoping the instant pot fad fades out like the crockpot to a more normal level of madness.

Here's a hint for your recipe: don't use ground beef for stroganoff like a goddamn savage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Here's a hint: sometimes food is just cheap, fast sustenance because it's better than getting fast food. I draw my line at using canned cream soup or a box of hamburger helper. We all draw lines and have shortcuts. I'm sure you do too. So don't be a goddamn douchebag because someone else's lines are different than yours.

At the same time, complaning about hamburger helper and then recreating hamburger helper when using sliced sirloin takes an additional thirty seconds is pretty silly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Hey guys I made goat stew today and it turned out really well. Sort of central European spices - paprika, marjoram, white pepper, touch of allspice. Rutabaga, parsnip, celery root, garlic, and onion for aromatics. I ate way too much of it for dinner, and I've got at least a week's worth of work lunches from the leftovers.

Well that's my story.

That sounds pretty good. Goat is underrated in the States.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

there's no problem with cast iron, but other than retaining heat for a sear (which it's great for) or cooking directly on coals, there's no other application I can think of that it gives you much of anything.

Pan frying chicken is the best use of cast iron pans. The thermal mass protects against the oil temp dropping when you introduce the chicken, which leads to soggy breading.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

:modsass:
Skyline is both cool and good.

Skyline is both bad, and wrong.

Luckily it has stayed out east and will never pass the chili with beans line at the Mississippi.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I make chili that doesn't need half a pound of cheese to graduate to edible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chard posted:

Staying up late to bake a 100% scratch apple pie my coworkers won't appreciate for a dumb 'holiday' I think is dumb, because it gives me a reason to kitchen.

The best reason to bake a thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

MODS!! Thread title change please!

Be careful what you wish for.

The used bookstore is killing me. I'm developing a collection of old church cookbooks. You know, the little spiral bound ones churches put out to collect old recipes their congregation knows.

There's a few gems in there, but a whole lot of Depression-era hamburger and condensed soup cassaroles.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Squirrel recipes are great!

I picked up one the other day that is super special to me.

It's a small press run for the centennial of the tiny little town I grew up in. Few enough of these were printed that I know -exactly- which of the neighbors this one belonged to. I lost mine in a fire in the late 1990's. It's the only place where some of my grandma's recipes were ever written down, because she cooked entirely by eye.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I bought some pork shoulder intending to chop it up and use it for pulled pork, but it looks like deboning a pork shoulder is actually pretty hard, and I don’t have a boning knife. I’m prolly gonna end up slicing off what I can and sticking the rest in the freezer for stock v:v:v

Cook it on the bone. Once it's ready to be pulled, grab the bone and just slide it out of the shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I was gonna make pulled pork, which I don’t know how to do in the oven? But this might be a better idea. Thx!

... how -were- you going to make it? I think we may have very different pulled pork recipes.