Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eat This Glob posted:

thanks! yeah, i think I'll grill em over hot coals first then move em off the heat to smoke a bit. everything I'm cooking tonight is on the grill, so I could bring a cast iron pan down to finish poaching them in, but I'm only cooking for my spouse and myself (not that she doesnt deserve to be impressed lol) but I'll keep it simple on my first try
It's probably out of scope for your project, but I think my recent favourite was to sear leeks in duck fat, but that was just because I was searing duck breast in a skillet already, so I could just chuck them in there with zero prep/planning/whatever. Like I wouldn't bother going through the trouble of setting everything up just to do them that way, but whenever I've got a skillet full of duck fat anyway I'm doing it. Same with frying off some shiitake mushrooms in the fat. A lot of mushrooms will absolutely poo poo the bed if you throw them in a bunch of screaming hot animal fat, but shiitakes are durable as gently caress for mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Amergin posted:

I made a cream sauce this weekend and instead of adding cheese, I added salted duck egg.

Best fuggin' cream sauce I've ever made.

I'm telling y'all, Italian food with Chinese characteristics is the future. Someone go open up a bougie restaurant called like Horse & Dragon or The Forbidden Palazzo and run with this, you'll be printing money (for a year or two).
鹹鴨蛋 are cool and all but Bon Appétit discovered them, what, like a year ago. And BA discovering a food fad is like your grandma posting a meme on facebook. If you wanted to cash in on a rising food fad I think in this case you would've had to have been in around 2010 or so.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I had to Google "butter bell" and that is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

We have a butter dish, that doesn't rely on defying gravity, and you just put butter in it.

You lift the lid, et voilla! perfect room temperature butter. Is getting your butter wet really that desirable?
Well, the term butter bell is a genericised trade name but the vessel--sometimes called a French butter dish--is around two hundred years old. It was the evolution of a general method of butter storage--keeping the butter covered with a layer of water, salt, or both--that dates at least as far as the Middle Ages. There are numerous written descriptions of similar but more fiddly methods of butter preservation from the early to mid 19th Century, indicating that the butter bell was solving a real problem for people at the time. Here's an example from The Young Housekeeper's Friend by Mary Hooker (writing under the pseudonym "Mrs. Cornelius"), first published in Boston in 1850 (although this image is from the 1859 edition):

A firkin is not a merkin for furries (at least in this context), it is a small wooden cask (when used as a formal unit of measure it's a quarter British barrel, but it isn't being used that way here), and was the most common vessel for storing butter until industrial butter production became commonplace in the last decades of the 19th Century.

And if we're talking about firkins of butter then we might as well mention bog butter, which is butter (and sometimes other perishable foodstuffs) placed in wooden containers and sunk into peat bogs. This practice is around two thousand years old, and lumps of century-old bog butter are a common archeological find in Ireland and the UK. Here's an example from the wikipedia article, which doesn't cite which museum it's from but mentions that it is from the 15th or 16th Century Enniskillen:

It isn't currently known if the process of production of bog butter was originally just to slow spoilage or if the chemical transformation associated with slow inundation of bog seepage was desired by itself (kinda like making century eggs or whatever).

In any case, the point is that yeah, if you're not refrigerating then it is pretty desirable to keep your butter submerged.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

But neither of these methods involve direct contact between the water and the butter
That's because I was selecting methods for their irritating complexity. Because between when butter started becoming generally acceptable/desirable for culinary purposes (in the late Middle Ages, after being a common peasant food in northern Europe that was shunned by the gentry for several centuries) and the invention of refrigeration butter preservation was a real concern and most of the methods, as I said, involved submerging the butter in water, salt, or both. From the 1830 edition of The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia, edited by David Brewster, Vol V, p. 164, in the article "Butter":

The idea of the butter bell is simply to make it more convenient to extract the butter from the water for use. And if most of your alternatives look like a matryoshka doll of sloshing firkins, that's probably pretty attractive.

I mean if you don't want to use a butter bell by all means don't. I have one someone gave me and I never use the thing. But I've seen a lot of stupid kitchen tools, and if I was living in one of France's butter-producing regions in the early 19th Century (most sources suggest Brittany, but afaik it isn't known definitively) I wouldn't consider a butter bell to be one of them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oh no think of all the overpriced cookware that will never be fruitlessly be added to bougie wedding registries.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Carillon posted:

I mean I love gin, but I totally can see why some people don't like the juniper forward stuff.
There's a lot of variability in gins and what makes a gin good in a g&t isn't what makes a gin good in, say, a negroni. For some reason--maybe because it's a clear liquor?--a lot of people seem to treat gin as a single thing in a way that they wouldn't for, say, single malts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anyone got opinions on vent hood brands/models? I asked over in the equipment thread but figured it's worth asking here as well. Looking for a 30" ducted under-cabinet thing to drop in and replace the microwave-over-range thing that came with the house and turns out to be a chimney lighter full of grease that's impossible to clean.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chemmy posted:

We’re putting in a remote blower Wolf hood. They make 30” hoods.

Fake edit: 1500cfm and a solenoid controlled remote air damper so we don’t run out of air.
Nice, but beyond the scope of my current project. Wolf range and hood are on the wishlist for an eventual remodel, but at this point I want something I can drop in as a replacement for the deathtrap microwave-over-range without having to put in any additional ductwork/makeup air.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hauki posted:

how does one roast an egg
Although it is almost unknown today, for millennia the rere (sometimes "rear") egg was a commonplace. It is simply a raw egg, as fresh as is practical (as in taken directly from under a broody hen), placed ~10 cm from a fire and warmed until heated through but unset. It is then either cracked into a bowl and eaten, or dunked in water to cool the shell and then a hole poked in either end and the contents sucked out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Stringent posted:

Sounds kinda like onsen tamago in Japan.
Yeah, although onsen tamago is always cooked until the yolk is firm (or at least that's the version I'm familiar with, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were regional variations). A rere egg is literally a raw egg that's been warmed. Possibly this was originally done to replicate a raw egg still warm from being freshly laid, although this is one of those folk recipes whose existence is extremely well attested and which appears to have once been nearly ubiquitous (at least everywhere they had chickens) but for which written documentation is scarce.

There's a recipe and discussion of rere eggs in a paper from the proceedings of one of the annual Oxford Symposiums on Food and Cookery, and from the same symposium there's a paper on German sour eggs, which is a dish for which most of the contemporary written documentation appears to be this-generation amateur cooks on the internet trying to replicate a dish made by their grandmothers when they (the amateur cooks) were children in Germany. The dish appears in virtually no cookbooks (and those that do mention it do so mostly to dismiss it) and the grandmothers invariably have no recipe.

This sort of informal culinary tradition--as distinct from the "important" poo poo that gets written down, discussed at length, and extensively documented--is super loving fascinating.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you have a recipe/link to the paper on sour eggs by chance? Is it like a pickled egg or something else entirely?

That's the note the author's Mom gave her when asked for the recipe, although the author (Ursula Heinzelmann) points out that it doesn't actually represent what she does in producing the dish.

Short version, it's eggs poached in roux with sugar, salt, and vinegar. A photo from the paper:

Anyway, that's a blonde roux of 40 g each of flour and butter, to which 1/2 l of water is slowly added. The recipe says liquid, but Heinzelmann says in her Mom's case it's always water--but other variations call for other liquids, e.g. potato water when the eggs are destined to be added to boiled potatoes. This is simmered until the desired consistency, and then vinegar and sugar are added. The recipe says 1 tbsp, Heinzelmann says this is less than she actually adds. Salt is also added, although apparently adjusting the level of salt is so second nature her Mom thinks it's not even worth recording. The heat is lowered, and then the eggs are added. They're done, pre Frau Heinzelmann, just after the whites have set but before the yolks are hard. This recipe doesn't specify, but this is a breakfast dish usually paired with e.g. boiled potatoes and chopped bacon.

Finished shot from the paper:

Google books has a copy of the proceedings--it's Proceedings of the Oxford Symposium of Food and Cookery 2006 and the volume is titled Eggs in Cookery. The paper I'm talking about is "Saving the Lost, Sour Eggs: an Annotated Pictorial Documentation of an Almost Extinct German Egg Recipe" by Ursula Heinzelmann, page 92.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

So, poaching eggs in starchwater for some reason?
If poverty counts as "some reason", sure.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Are they drinking it? Why not just water?
I feel like one of us is missing something. It's gravy. Roux plus liquid plus seasonings. The eggs are poached in the gravy, and then they're served with it. They don't use just plain water for the same reason you wouldn't make biscuits and water instead of biscuits and gravy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This is why smoking is the superior form of summer cooking, as it involves starting the coals early while it's still cool and then sitting around all day drinking beer while pretending to tend to the smoker.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea where to ask this, so I'll try asking here: I legitimately enjoy fortune cookies as a cookie. They're nice and light, and have just the right amount of crunch and sweetness. Does anyone know where to get bulk, unwrapped fortune cookies? I say unwrapped because I know you can get packs of them individually wrapped but that's kind of stupid/wasteful. Alternatively, is there an equivalent cookie/biscuit that is effectively the same recipe, minus the fortune cookie gimmick?
Golden Gate Fortune Cookies sells bags of flat fortune cookies (not my photo):

I don't know anywhere where you can buy 'em online, though. So that's not particularly helpful. I've seen similar things occasionally in grocery store bakeries and places like that.

There was also a cookie made by I think Nabisco years ago that was basically just a flat, round fortune cookie, lightly browned around the edges. No idea what they were called or if they're still made, but it might jog someone else's memory.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Vanilla wafers?
No, they came in a flat cardboard box, kinda shaped like a cigar box, wrapped in tacky gold paper. You opened the top, and there were three rows of cookies in one of those blown plastic cookie trays.

edit: a couple minutes of image searching reveals that they were called Brown Edge Wafers:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

therattle posted:

Yes! I did this quite recently and it was so drat good. I used this recipe without the fruit.

https://simple-veganista.com/kimchi/
It was very salty though. I’d research if one could use less salt. You can always salt it at the table if it doesn’t taste salty enough.
For :kimchi: that recipe's brine is about right for soaking--it's a little over 4% and a 5% brine is the canonical safe-but-salty pickling brine.

It recommends topping off the veg with reserved brine, which I've literally never done (although I add some fish sauce). If the final product is too salty, that's probably the problem. When I make kimchi, I more or less just drag the veg through the seasoning paste and then pack it in the fermentation vessel. Immediately after packing there isn't much liquid, and it looks like a zombie upchucked a salad. But by the same time next day the veg will have released enough liquid that you wouldn't want more.

How Wonderful! posted:

Apples, huh? That looks extremely up my alley. May I ask a dumb question-- how large of a jar did you pack the whole thing into? I've been having a lot of good times during quarantine making pickles and shrubs and sauces and other ways of preserving produce, but I'm kind of running out of room and I'm due to run out and get another few jars and cans and things.
I usually use 7L cambros for both kimchi and lactofermenting pickles (I also have a fancy German pickling crock, but whenever I'm fermenting something it's because the garden/CSA is throwing a lot of fermentable veg at me and one crock is never enough for all of it). You can use smaller vessels--I've used quart mason jars and even delitainers when I didn't have anything else--but I think it comes out better if you ferment large and then store small.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I made breakfast today (WFH is awesome in that regard) and now that I've been eating pasture raised chicken eggs fed on bugs, I'll never go back to cheap, mean changed chicken eggs. Not only is it better for the birds but drat these yolks are so deep and rich it's just incredible. The yolk is orange, it's cartoony almost. Which made me think on the subject of the "organic" movement here's my takeaways so far and I know they're subjective, my experience and opinion is not universal:

Organic pasture raised eggs - Awesome
Organic milk - Awesome
Organic veg - can't really tell
Organic fruit - can't really tell
Organic yogurt - depends on the brand but I think it's more a function of better brands than "organic".
Organic cheese - I can't tell but some people swear by it.

Anything I'm missing out on in y'all's opinions?
Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about organic from a hippy dippy ritual purity standpoint, but there are a few things that I'll buy the organic version of purely for the accidental side effects--like eggs having better terroir or whatever you want to call it as a result of diet--or sometimes just because the organic version is the only version available. Like locally if you're buying mushrooms your options most of the time are a) conventionally-farmed white button mushrooms in a tub covered in cellophane (so you can't look them over and discover that all of the caps are already open) or b) literally every other kind of mushroom, including all of the ones sold loose. Same thing with virtually all of the "upscale" veg. Like ordinary broccoli you can find "conventional", but baby broccoli/broccolette/broccolini (which I love for dry braising in stir fry) is almost always only in the organic section.

My local CSA skews toward organic stuff as well, so probably three quarters of the produce (and lately meat and other stuff) I get from them is organic, but I'm going with them because a) I ideologically like the idea of supporting local agriculture, and b) during the pandemic holy poo poo is it nice knowing a week ahead of time what produce is going to be available.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

Speaking of habaneros, I had a bunch of them and was not interested in making more hot sauce or salsa since I have plenty of both. I wound up using some of them for pikliz and some of them for a mango shrub, but I still have maybe half a dozen left. I want to do something kind of unusual with them but I'm a little stumped. Cornbread...? I don't think gazpacho would be a weird use of the things but it might be a nice dish to say goodbye to the summer.
Candy them?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Or pickle them. Pickled habeneros are really good.
Yeah, although I wouldn't really call that kind of unusual. I guess pickled habs are less common than, say, pickled jalapeños. But they're still something that, for example, I've seen sold in grocery stores. I don't think I've ever had candied habs anywhere apart from making them.

I also like habanero jelly, but I kinda feel like pepper jellies/jams/marmalades have gotten more familiar lately, and they're another thing that you can occasionally find as an upscale/artisan/whatever the gently caress thing in grocery store delis or whatever. Which is cool, but if you're looking to make something unusual it seems like you'd want something you couldn't find in a grocery store.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

If you want to keep a similar-ish texture you can mince up a bunch of mushrooms (I like doing this a lot) or grab a package of vegetarian beef crumbles which are really not that conspicuous in stuff like sauces. Otherwise looking at the recipe I think you'd be totally fine just leaving out the meat.
For chicken parm I'd just do a basic red sauce even if I wasn't going for a vegetarian sauce. Like I don't think I've ever had chicken parm with a meat sauce. Not that there's anything wrong with it or anything, just making the point that a meatless red sauce with chicken parm isn't some weird substitution or something, it's how I'd expect the dish to be made.

Like tomatoes, some olive oil/a hunk of butter, like half an onion, a handful of garlic cloves, simmer for 45 minutes or so. Adjust with salt (I'd use fish sauce if not going for vegetarian) and sugar if that's how you swing. Boom basic red sauce. Specifically the 45-minute-or-so basic red sauce. Versus, for example, the super à la minute red sauce where you just heat tomatoes in a fry pan with some garlic or w/e, just long enough so they get soft enough to smoosh with a wooden spoon, and finish with some basil chiffonade or whatever. Or an all-day Sunday gravy or whatever. None of which I'd exactly blush to serve with chicken parm.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This method of refreshing bread was documented by Jean-Baptiste Boussingault in a paper in 1852 (Boussingault, J. B. 1852. Expériences ayant pour but de déterminer la cause de la transformation du pain tendre en pain rassis. Ann. Chim. Phys. 36:490-494.), somewhat predating Kenji blogging on the subject.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Vous devez donner une traduction en anglais pour les païens, mon chou.
"Experiments to determine the transformation of fresh bread into stale bread". It's mostly devoted to Boussingault's experiments to determine that loss of moisture isn't sufficient to explain staling--he seals bread in airtight glass vessels to maintain a constant water content and observes that it still gets stale. He also observes that water content of the bread crumb does influence staling. And he empirically determines that reheating stale bread to an internal temperature of around 140 F/60 C reverses the staling. This is the temperature at which starches in the bread gelate, although the fact that this is the mechanism was unknown to Boussingault.

I don't know anywhere online that has the article in its entirety, but it's frequently cited in discussions of bread staling. For example, McGee mentions Boussingault's work (although, strangely, he doesn't actually name it) in On Food And Cooking, p. 784-785, specifically in the context of reheating bread to reverse staling.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this is irritatingly ignorant but do you have to write essays in culinary school?
Yeah, some. Or at least all of the degree plans from the Culinary Institute of America involve at least some essay writing and at least some basic mathematics. How much depends on the degree, but even the occupational associate degrees (which are the shortest and most vocational) require a college-level writing credit, and that involves essay writing.

Their curricula are available online and you can click through the course descriptions if you want more detail on a particular degree plan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've eaten some tasty bugs but they were all crunchy. Caterpillars seem repulsive.
As I mentioned in the gardening thread, the only caterpillars I've eaten are maguey caterpilliars, and both species of maguey caterpillars taste more or less like whatever they were seasoned with plus a slightly sour umami flavour. The white ones, which I've always seen called gusanos de maguey although I'm willing to bet this is regional, are a little plumper/meatier and have a slightly stronger flavour, and the red ones--chilocuiles--are thinner and milder. But I haven't had either more than a couple times, so I'm willing to believe that some of the differences in my flavour perceptions was due to differences in preparation rather than the caterpillars themselves.

Chilocuiles (dunno about the white ones) are also sometimes eaten raw, which I've never tried, or dried. One of the ways the dried ones are consumed is ground up with salt and chili powder, which tastes like a smoky seasoned salt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is it just me or have groceries gotten really loving expensive (even excluding meat)? Potatoes are a bit over a buck per which while I've never actually paid much attention to potato prices seems high. I know covid's hosed the supply lines, but gotdamn, this is a horrible time to have to trim back your grocery budget especially if you were already fairly frugal anyways. I'm doing the right stuff, we're about 70% vegetarian meals, lots of eggs, legumes, in season produce. Meats maybe a pack of chicken thighs/a chicken and possibly some sort of roast if they're on sale. And still somehow I'm spending more on groceries than I did 6 months ago
It's not just you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

I couldn't get the lid off my Healthy Boy Fishsauce, yanked it and the fish sauce spilled all over my kitchen. It really stinks.
A tin of oyster sauce in the bottom of my pantry apparently burst a seam. The liquid sorta capillary'd around the perimeter of the can, then did the same along a couple of other cans near it, until it came into contact with the cardboard cartons I was using to store my empty mason jars. And then it just sorta spread across the bottom of every cardboard box in the bottom of the pantry. So although it had spilled a lot of fluid, you couldn't tell by looking at it without pulling everything out. Which I had no reason to do until prompted to by the smell....

Count your blessings, is what I'm trying to say.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Five pound tins, yes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Here's a stock image of one not leaking all over the bottom of my pantry:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Helith posted:

That’s a lot of oyster sauce.
How do you store it once it’s opened out of interest?
Quart delitainers, in the fridge. You can also freeze it, although I go through oyster sauce fast enough I don't bother.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

As for beef or pork, I'm avoiding them these days anyway, so eh. I'll think about them later. Though, does bacon freeze well?
Bacon freezes well. If you're buying it refrigerated, you can open the package, roll each rasher into a wee cylinder, and then bag and freeze them that way. Then when you want to cook it you can just take out however many rashers you need, instead of having to defrost the whole pound (or whatever). If you're cooking it in an oven (I mostly use a toaster oven) you can cook from frozen--they'll more or less unroll themselves.

As for veg, a lot of it will last for two weeks (to meet your only going to the store a couple times a month goal) if you handle it appropriately. A bunch of stuff will last longer if you put it in water--green onions (which can also be planted for continuous harvest if you have a backyard you can do this in), most herbs (trim the base of the stem first), asparagus (upright in a mason jar of water in the fridge they'll last weeks easy), and so on. Lettuce and many other leafy greens will last longer washed, separated, and then placed in ziplock bags layered with paper towels. Most fresh mushrooms will keep longer in a delitainer lined with a damp paper towel. Carrots, radishes, and stuff like that will last much longer if you cut off the greens first (storing them separately if you want to use them).

Dunno what all you cook with so I don't want to just rattle off a bunch of random veg storage tips. But it's something to be aware of if you're used to just chucking stuff in the fridge in the produce bag from the store or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

For most bulb-ish alliums--garlic, bulb-forming onions, shallots, and so on, but not leeks, green onions, and that kind of allium--if they've been hardened then what you want to do is put 'em in one of those sock-like hanging produce bags. Basically anything that lets a little air around them, so if they decide to go bad it'll be by drying out to nothing but paper instead of going to mold.

Main thing when you're storing them is to either keep them just above freezing or keep them just above 25 C/77 F and don't vary the temperature more than a degree or two. Have 'em warm and then cool them off, or keep them cool and let them get warm, and then they decide it's time to grow and then best case they won't keep as long, worst case they'll go to mold/rot.

Worst place to keep most alliums is in the range around 20 - 25 C (68 - 77 F), which unfortunately is room temperature for most people. This isn't so bad if the onions or whatever have been hardened well--I keep potato onions from the garden hanging in the kitchen and they keep for over a year. But they're hardy as gently caress and I harden them for a couple of months before putting them up. Grocery store alliums usually aren't hardened for poo poo, and they're cultivars that were selected for yield rather than keeping, so it can be a crapshoot if you're trying to store them long-term.

That all said, almost all commercial onions should keep for a week or two with no problems if you keep the temperature stable. It's really temperature fluctuations that tell alliums to start growing, so keep the temperature stable and as long as they're dry they'll usually keep for a couple weeks.

And keep in mind that any allium that wants to sprout can just be plonked in some soil and it'll grow. Alliums are pretty much easy mode for gardening.