Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

At least the actual recipe picture says 'bread' (with quotes), but still. There's some validity to calling quorn-type stuff chik'n since it's trying to imitate that, but eggplant ain't bread.

Also it seems like it wouldn't cook long enough to get the eggplant tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made some slaw this weekend and I added a bit of daikon into it (In retrospect that's probably why it smells funky now). I decided to microplane half of the daikon, since I've had grated daikon before.

I also decided to microplane the carrot instead of chopping it. It turned out really good! It added sweetness so I didn't need to add sugar. Plus the microplaned carrot tasted good by itself - a little sweet and surprisingly flavorful.

Are there other root vegetables worthy of microplaning? Beets? Turnips?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Midniter posted:

On Sundays, I make a legume and veggie salad for the week for lunch. I usually use chick peas, but bought a big bag of mung beans and figured I'd try them out. Well, the pressure cooking instructions said 6-8 minutes so I went for 8. They were hopelessly overcooked, no good for a salad. I was going to pitch them but decided to see it as a challenge and figure out what I could do with a couple pounds of cooked mung beans for the week.

The other night I diced half of a large onion, six or seven large cloves of garlic, some about-to-turn cilantro, and mashed them with the beans including two flax "eggs" (each one is 1 tbsp flax powder to 3 tbsp water, stir and let sit for ~10 minutes), turmeric, onion powder, cumin, paprika, some cayenne, and some dried parsley. Mashed it good and put it in a loaf pan, then into a 400 degree oven for an hour.

It was a completely off-the-cuff non-recipe, but I swear it was the tastiest thing I've cooked in ages. It had a meatloaf-like consistency and the spices I used really really worked with the earthiness of the mung beans. I'd put this up as a vegan alternative to traditional meatloaf any time.

This is interesting. I recently bought a bag of ground flaxseed to try out vegan baked goods, but I'd never thought of making something like that out of it! I wonder if it would work for veggie burgers/patties?

It's like a pound of flaxseed so I need to figure something out. Probably muffins and cornbread at least.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Flax seed burgers turned out interesting. I think I might have used too much flax and didn't mash up the beans enough. I used 2 tbsp of flaxseed mixed in with 6 tbsp of hot bean broth for 1/2 lb. of beans.

I also added some finely grated carrot, a small onion, and I put some frozen broccoli in at the end of the bean cooking. I baked it in muffin tins so I could portion it for lunch - 1/2 lb. of beans made 10 muffin tins. I'm going to have the bean patties and put it in a wrap with a bunch of coleslaw.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with 2 cups of good bean broth, I'm thinking tofu and veggie stew with some gochujang but that might be weird.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

iospace posted:

In "health food" related news: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40300145 Coconut oil bad.

Uh oh, I've been buying the sunflower/coconut oil mixture, guess it's heart attack time!

At least I don't use too much of it, but maybe I'll try something different next time I get oil.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I've been working on eating better as well. Problem being snacking. :v:

Same. I’m hoping if I transition to difficult-to-eat snacks that I’ll eat less. Like I can get tasty sunflower seeds (there’s half a dozen different Russian brands at the European-leaning marketplace I frequent), so I’m hoping if I just force myself to snack only on that I’ll eat less. Especially with the sunflower seeds it takes a while to get through even a small portion.

Same with popcorn, it’s effort to make it so I’ll eat less since there’s a barrier to making it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah if it's one bigger truck making rounds it can be OK, the whole driving to the store thing is usually not-so-good. Light googling suggests that the biggest contributor for food is production, and bulk transport is like 15%, so it's hard to imagine making it worse in any event.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

High-five to tortilla crew, I made really bad ones (too dry I think) until I made a bunch of good ones for enchiladas a few weeks ago. Hydration is key. I just used Aldi brand masa harina, hot water (from my notes I used a 7:5 ratio by weight of water to masa harina) and kneaded the heck out of the dough. Then let it rest for half an hour and another shorter knead. It's much, much more like clay than bread dough, it won't stick to stuff and is actually quite easy to knead by hand. Kind of pleasant tbh. I also snuck in about 1% salt by weight. Not traditional and maybe moderately salty so use to taste.

For the puffing, it might just be down to timing. For me, I got the best results with a pretty short cook on the first side, and a longer second one. Then a flip to the original side and they puff up nicely. Like when I flipped the first time it was barely set on the first side, just barely brown in spots or not even brown yet.

I used a stainless skillet, which worked fine. It wasn't amazingly hot, like I'd guess it was maybe hotter than pancake temperature, like medium-high ish. The good browning came when it puffed, since then it has much less mass and you can get a nice brown on the puffed tortilla.

Of course cover them in a towel after cooking, gotta let them steam up a bit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Well, in that case I guess I will have to get proper masa. It is available, just not at my local store, so a minor but not insurmountable hassle.

Yeah unfortunately corn flour doesn't have the distinct taste of corn tortillas. I think the texture is changes as well, masa has a very nice plasticity to it, which I don't think regular corn flour would have (but I guess I've never tried so I could be wrong).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you regularly cook chickpeas and/or beans then a pressure cooker is a worthwhile investment IMO. Doing a soak then cooking for the manual's recommended time, followed by a natural pressure release has yet to fail me for cooking beans and I've been doing it that way for years. I don't know if the results are any better than any other method, but it sure feels extremely consistent.

Never used an instant pot, but at least my presto stovetop model is like that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Love when I do that with baking.

Yeah I was making a cake once and I was doing the adding dry to the wet in partial stages. Only I forgot the last addition of the dry ingredients and slapped that thing into the oven.

Somehow it came out perfect, so the recipe must have sucked to begin with.

I guess this is not at all what you're describing, but i'm going to :justpost: anyway

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

HOW TO MAKE EGG ROAST:

Curried hardboiled eggs were pretty good the one time I had them in a Burmese restaurant. I think theirs had potato in it.

That restaurant also had really good noodles. Like a bunch of variations similar to singapore noodles if I remember right.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With respect to grinding that's why I like the diamond kosher salt, you can crush it between your fingers (it's quite easy) and get a pretty fine powder, no grinder needed.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I figure with onions a face shield wouldn't help that much. The compound that's released is a gas so I'd think that it's mostly just it diffusing rather than droplets from cutting. So if you could smell the onion then it may make your eyes water. I also wear glasses and I occasionally have trouble with onions. But tight fitting goggles may reduce the gas permeation and so may work.

But I could be wrong on this, maybe onion droplets coming from cutting are actually worse than just gas diffusion, I have no idea.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bartolimu posted:

For those of you who've enjoyed watching Doña Ángela on De Me Casa a Tu Cocina, I give you Doña Chabelita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVX9NkNK0jU

Brilliant way of skinning the chicken feet. Regular use of hands in boiling or near-boiling water. SHE STIRS THE TOASTING CHILES ON THE COMAL BY HAND WTF. She's amazing.

Neat! Did she only use the ancho seeds or did she use the guajillo seeds as well? (I don't speak spanish lol).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Huh that's weird. I've gotten 2 bags of guajillos (from 2 different vendors) that are quite mild, and my bag of anchos are moderately spicy. Are guajillos usually supposed to be spicier?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Howdy goons - I have an instant pot coming tomorrow and I'd like to try to cook up this relatively simple recipe I found on seriouseats to test it out:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

My question is - is there a general rule of thumb for converting times in these regular pressure cooker recipes to the instant pot? Is it approximately the same? More? Or completely dependent on what you're making?

Thanks!

An instant pot does have a slightly lower pressure than traditional stovetop models, so things like beans you definitely need to time differently. You should probably just follow the book/manual for timings beans. For example, soaked pintos take 6-9 minutes of pressure cooking (plus the natural pressure release, which adds like 15-30 minutes waiting time) for an instant pot. For an old-school pressure cooker it's more like 3-6 minutes (plus natural release).

But that's just beans, I don't eat meat so I don't have a good sense for if there's a large difference there. I suspect the size of the chicken will be a bigger factor than pressure difference anyway. Either way I'd guess the chicken will get cooked through, but you can make some notes to dial in the pressure cooker on subsequent dishes as you learn the ins and outs of your cooker.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Machai posted:

I remember hearing about a cooking show host that would get drunk while filming, and saw some YouTube videos of her. Not Hannah Hart. Does anyone know who I am trying to think of? 90s or early 2000s I think.

Was it Sandra Lee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdiBG_TYZHA

She's also of Kwanzaa Cake fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

(Also apparently Andrew Cuomo was her domestic partner lol)

Edit: I don't know whether or not she got drunk while filming, but she would have a lot of cocktails on her show.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Here's a stock image of one not leaking all over the bottom of my pantry:

Well you need a big can for those giant loving oysters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Covid is ramping back up, and it's worse this time.

A few other things you could look into:

You could buy some cabbage and make sauerkraut (or kimchi). That’s a common way to preserve veggies before the invention of refrigeration. Although it’s simple to make I think the first few times I tried I failed for one reason or another.

I’d recommend getting some masa harina. With some spices you can make enchiladas from scratch with beans or meat. You can also make tortillas for tacos to change things up or pupusas, or many many other things. It’s a bit more effortful, but with a big bag of masa you won’t have to pick up tortillas at the store if you feel like having them. Works best with a tortilla press.

Probably buy some bricks of cheese. The mass-market stuff lasts quite a while I think.

Also dried fruit would be good to have on hand. They can be quite calorie dense so just be careful. Costco has some good dried mango I like. Dates are always welcome. I used to get unsulphered apricots which are nice too. Plus all the other regulars.

For dates, the common types you get at the grocery are deglet noor (a bit drier) and medjool (soft and candylike). There are places you can order dates online though with much more variety. The one I’ve liked most so far are the halawi dates I got, but I only got like 3 varieties. Best stored in the fridge, and brought back to room temp IMO.