Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Taco Bar Potluck lunch at work today. I was (naively) looking forward to it.

So far, I've seen paraded past:

* Cheap jarred salsa
* Crock pot with chicken breast swimming in bean-corn-seasoning packet liquid
* Crock pot pork with some sort of "carnitas seasoning" packet
* Canned black beans (to be uncanned and microwaved - unseasoned.)
* Grocery store pie

Makes me feel kinda dumb for spending time last night making a giant pot of Mexican rice with fresh ripe tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, homemade chicken stock for liquid, etc. At least I can enjoy the rice though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

therattle posted:

And my underoos.

...and other Fromunda Cheese aging places.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

mindphlux posted:

anyways, re: berbere - it's supposed to be hot? really? the stuff I picked up from my very authentic very native ethiopian market is mild as heck. really fragrant and delicious smelling, but definitely not spicy. I've had doro wat a few times too, and I don't recall it being particularly mouthburning.

anyone have any authoritative ethiopian cookbooks / reference sources to recommend? I'd love to know more about the food history of the region, and base recipes.

I tried to make berebere once. I misread my spices and added "chili powder" (spice mix for chili) instead of "chile powder" (powdered chiles). It was... weird.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Scientastic posted:

I managed to get halfway through your post before I realised you were quoting, and hadn't become a gibbering idiot. I was sincerely concerned that coming off the sauce had made your brain break.

I got tipped off early on by "wife". ;)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

That reminds me that I need to hit up a Farmers Market soon and try to score some peaches. I can't remember the last time I actually won the peach lottery and managed to eat one while perfectly ripe.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

therattle posted:

I've said it here before: my rice cooker has a slow cooker setting, and I cook my oats overnight. Wake up to hot creamy porridge. And then oats. It does get a bit of a skin though.

What do you put in it? Asking as someone who grew up with Sugar-Laden Quaker Oats "FROOTS N KREME" flavour as the oatmeal of my childhood. Some many years ago I tried making "real" oats in a pot and it just ended up as Sad Sludge. And then Sad Sludge with berries on.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I bought a jar of mace once, then realized I'd just spent like $16 for a recipe that called for 1/8tsp.

I found a recipe for Mace Cake and then proceeded to make cake after cake because it was so drat good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mace-Cake-231814

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Echeveria posted:

I don't know what the hell I have. I have a really sore throat and my lymph nodes are protruding from my neck, and my whole body is agony. I have no fever, though, and no cough or mucous. I was downing tea before I went to the store (no rides). Now I have anesthetic cough drops and the only cold/flu formula in the drat drug store that didn't have pseudoephederine in it. I will take it shortly and hopefully fade into sweet oblivion.

I have no rice or toppings for jook. As mentioned way earlier in this thread, I loving hate eggs, and I have nothing else that would go in it. Except maybe bacon.

Wait a second, you bought the one WITHOUT pseudoephedrine? That's the poo poo that works.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I finally picked up a Food Mill, because I'm running out of other kitchen impulse buys (and I am also sick of scrubbing soups through a fine-mesh strainer using a large spoon to make it smooth). What should I process through this thing?

Edit: Meant to post in the dumb questions thread. Here, for relevance. I saw these but wouldn't even feed them to my dog, even if they DO support the "Git R Done" foundation (whatever that is)

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 14, 2015

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

And poor, poor Megan can't have soybeans. Bless.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Unf. Freshly steamed chicken, pork, and jalapeno tamales, awesome house salsa, and a gigantic horchata. I love Madison.

Where did you get these things?! My in-laws are in Cross Plains so I'll be up that way around Easter.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I was reading this article with the guy who played Eli Roosevelt on Sons of Anarchy because he's an awesome character and he's talking about his weight loss and had this to say:

Ugggghhhhhhhhhh no you did not lose seven pounds in a week and the reason you're feeling better is because you're not filling your body with poo poo garbage foods. It's the McDonalds you were stuffing in your face, not the gluten oewkn;'OREKN;OAKNG;A

My boss went 'gluten free' as a dietary choice - except he still drinks beer. His rule is that he doesn't eat gluten, but he'll drink it.

Hey, it worked for him - cutting out the ever-present office snacks (bagels, cookies, donuts, baked thing someone brought in) and avoiding pizza, burgers, etc. He dropped some weight and looks great and feels a lot better.

But, he also doesn't claim an allergy and will just order a salad if that's what there is, so at least he's not a dick about it. I do kinda wonder why he didn't just go on a diet rather than deciding to cut every bit of wheat out of his life though.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I really wish that my work would stop having pot luck lunches. It's always so depressing.

So far for this year's Cinco de Mayo pot luck, we have the following contributions:

- Vegetarian taco filling (they bought pre-packaged soyrizo and will microwave it)
- Mexican rice (several take-out containers from the mexican restaurant on the corner)
- Tomatoes (whole. He expects someone to cut them up for him because "I don't know how and it's not worth my time")
- Black bean side dish. Just black beans, from a can. That's all.
- Dessert is "carmelitas" - apparently a rice crispy-type bar with caramel. "Well, it sounds Mexican!"

I ended up with salsa, and spent yesterday evening shopping and then preparing roasted tomatillo salsa, fresh tomato salsa and mange pineapple habanero salsa (fingers are still tingling).

I should have just bought a few jars. Oh well, hopefully the other items that haven't shown up yet will be better. There's supposedly some sort of slow-cooker pork carnitas and a layered "Taco dip" to look forward to as well.

Oh, and there's beer and limes. At least we have that!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I never thought that I would encounter a tres leches cake that I didn't like. I don't know how they managed to eff this up, but it was just... bad. How can a cake be both slimy and dry at the same time?

The crock-pot pork was inoffensive and made an okay taco with the mango salsa. And there was a pinata and beer. And best of all, it's over until next year!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Am wondering what may become of taqueria dishes in the absence of affordable cilantro. During the lime wars of 2014, my boss was served a gin and tonic with a slice of lemon in it. He's STILL complaining about that.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I made modernist mac-n-cheese the other day with sharp cheddar, and while it was really good, the flavor was a little one-note. What combination of cheeses do you folk find works well?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Three days in San Francisco. What do I eat? (might make it to Berkeley, but no real plan - most likely to stay in the main city area)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

My Greek yiayia (grandmother), bless her soul, who always cooks our Greek Orthodox Easter Feast, has been ill and I just found out today that she won't be cooking for our Easter Sunday (observed) tomorrow. Apparently she asked my mother (her daughter) to take care of cooking- and mom was planning to pick up two cooked $5 rotisserie chickens from Kroger in the morning, plus some pre-made mashed taters and cans of chicken gravy, and a can of corn. ;_;

I'm just visiting from out of town and can't do much, but hell if there will be Greek Easter without lamb. I've never cooked it before, but I did a bit of research, borrowed a fridge and counter space, ran to a couple stores and I have my last-minute leg of lamb resting in the fridge. The only leg I could find was 9lbs do I had the butcher cut it in half because I wasn't sure the roasting pan I have access to could hold it. Trimmed off the thickest globs of fat, rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano, and cut some slits for slivers of garlic. In the morning I will toss some new potatoes with the same, drizzle all with lemon juice and roast for 2 hours at 350, and take to YiaYia's house for an hour longer cooking time. (Recipes said about 2.5hr for a 5lb roast, and I have two approx 4-5lb roast halves)... and hope for the best. I don't have any sort of meat thermometer here, but luckily Greeks love their lamb well done.

I also picked up some salad, feta and olives and nice bread for a side along with the lamb and taters, and yiayia is still making her spinach pie.

Wish me luck- or if I'm doing something horrible, hopefully you catch me in time?

EVG fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 30, 2016

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

https://imgur.com/a/BiOdA

It was fully cooked after 2 hours so I brought it over and stuck in the oven on warm until everyone shows up. It's good! Can't figure out how to link the image on mobile though.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

They really were. And it was so stupidly easy I am kicking myself for never making a lamb roast in the past.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wow, thanks for the good words!

I touched a little bit on the development of the shorthorn from the longhorn, the Chicago meatpacking industry and how that changed cattle economics and so forth. I didn't get into butchery. Mostly I was asking why we eat so much beef in the West - this wasn't always the case, you see. It turns out that, going all the way back to Tudor times, Anglos have been wanting to eat lots of beef, but it was economics and availability which disallowed this. In the West specifically, people were eating lots of sheep and preserved pork until enough packing plants came on line to supply people with the amount of beef that they demanded, which was a 20th century phenomena.

TLDR: People wanted beef in the west but couldn't get it from Chicago because the refrigerated cars mostly ran East.

Does Texas actually have a law against defaming beef, as King of the Hill would lead me to believe?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Knox Gelatin actually has an interesting little history! http://www.knoxgelatine.com/history.htm. tl;dr, Guy invents powdered gelatin, goes all Mad Men, dies. Wife inherits company, sells off mad men bullshit, focuses on developing recipes to take gelatin from fancy-shmancy dinner party treat to common use household item. Runs company for 40 years, was considered most powerful woman in the business world in her time. Not bad for unflavored gelatin powder.

That was really interesting. Thanks!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The Serious Eats ragu bolognese was phenomenal when I tried it, and they have a lasagna recipe that uses it- I'd start there.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

bloody ghost titty posted:

poo poo got cold again in BK. What cold weather staple do I make, considering I already made chili for a Super Bowl party I didn't even attend and my roommate already covered black bean soup?

Serious Eats has a killer beef barley soup. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/pressure-cooker-beef-barley-soup-recipe.html

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Scientastic posted:

It's also nice when you chuck the ingredients in, set a timer and wake up to freshly baked bread smell

This a thousand times. I got an ancient, 2nd hand 'BREADMASTER' aas a gift (it came with the instructions on a VHS tape!) and it's still plugging away like magic.

Literally less then 2 minutes to toss poo poo together, set the timer, delicious bread in the morning. I love it.

1 c water
1/3 c milk
3T butter
3 & 3/4 c bread flour
3T sugar
1.5t salt
1.5t yeast

and GO

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Critique my meatball recipe!

• 1.2 lb of meatball mix (ground beef, veal, pork mixture)
  • 1 medium or large egg
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 1/2 tbsp of salt

Preheat an oven to 375F. Mix the beef stock into the breadcrumbs until you get a fairly well-mixed panade. Put the meatball mix into a bowl, and add the salt, garlic, egg, and panade. Mix well with your hands until the ingredients are evenly distributed and the meat is warmed somewhat from your body heat. Form into 12~16 meatballs and place on a foil-lined tray. Bake the meatballs for 25~28 minutes, remove, and serve however you like.

I recently made Serious Eats Italian meatballs and really liked how they came out.

http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2015/01/italian-american-beef-pork-meatballs-red-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

Key things to try:

- mix in half the meat with the Panade to get it really well mixed, then mix the rest in lightly so that it has a good texture

- try their gelatin trick to keep things juicy

- make really big meatballs, broil to brown then finish in the sauce (note: mine took significantly longer to finish cooking than they advised- I used an instant read thermometer to make sure they cooked through.)

I didn't feel like looking for pancetta so just used a couple pieces of bacon that I tossed into the freezer to harden before chopping up. Worked fine.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I gave up on making butter chicken that was as good as the local take-out years ago. Never tried a pressure cooker version though. Mind sharing that recipe?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Seasoning chat: I've been thinking of getting this wok: https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-21-9978-Classic-14-inch/dp/B002AQSWMU?th=1 To replace my old and worn out non-stick wok.

What sort of seasoning would be required? Would I be better off just getting another non-stick, which served me adequately for so many years? The one I have now is some unknown brand just picked up at the local asian grocer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

When you order tea and get a pot and a cup rather than a cup and a teabag. 😍

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Lately I’ve been finding the LKK brand of black bean sauce too salty. Is there a better brand (I have access to an excess of Asian markets) or am I better off making my own?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

iospace posted:

Does anyone have a good tortilla recipe? I'm looking to make some for my own use instead of store buying.

http://flatev.com/ Just get the tortilla Keurig.

(don't do that)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Loutre posted:

Were you held hostage in someone's basement until you were an adult?

Don't be silly, basement dwellers are always familiar with instant ramen.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

poverty goat posted:

i made a list of the things i need to buy while I'm up today and here it is

• rolling papers
  • dutch masters
  • lighters
  • handle of whiskey
  • 2 cases of beer
  • coffee filters

did I forget anything?

Jesus, man - what are you thinking?

You forgot the COFFEE.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I use these for flour, sugar and brown sugar: https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pr...607070435&psc=1

They all hold a standard size bag. The flour one has a plastic bar you can use to level with, the brown sugar one has one of those terra cotta things you soak to keep the sugar moist, and the sugar one has a little pop top on the lid to pour it. The lids flip open all the way flat against the back of the container. You can buy them separately as well.

Came to recommend these as well.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I have a notebook filled with my recently passed grandmother's dessert recipes, which she never had time to teach me. The problem is, they're all handwritten in Greek.

Anyone have any experience in getting handwritten notes translated into English? I'll gladly share once I have them legible.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Tortilla Press suggestions? Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

(Edit - I'm a moron and moved this to the General Questions thread.)

EVG fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 8, 2019

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Where do you live? I bought a crappy aluminum one on Amazon which was horrible, then a nicer $25 cast iron from a local tienda. Check it to ensure there's no gap before you buy.

Good idea, I’m in Chicago so I’ll just check one of the little corner bodegas.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Give to me your authentic Ropa Vieja recipes. I lost my go-to and the ones I am finding online all look weird and terrible.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

No Wave posted:

Serious Eats was never worth anything outside of Kenji, it doesnt really change how I use the website.

I hate when I grab a recipe off there, then see it was from some other untrusted rando and not Kenji. I generally realize that when the ingredients lack fish sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'm planning on making these potatoes to take to Friendsgiving later. What's the best way to prepare them so they don't get weird being reheated?

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/olive-oil-mashed-potatoes-garlic-rosemary/

I'm open for any suggestions that don't involve using dairy (have to keep them parve).

Or should I put them in a creuset-style dutch oven and try to keep them warm?

EVG fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 28, 2019