Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I don't have any sources on this, but I remember reading that the Yue/Minnan groups were only thought as "Han" right around the end of the Qing, when the Republicans wanted to push an anti-Manchu narrative. Am I right on this or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Numlock posted:

Isn't Americans generally acknowledging that we were dicks with are dealings with the Natives a more recent phenomena though?

I've watched older westerns and generally it seems that at best Native Americans are presented as naive and in the way of progress. There was also that thread in GBS were you had some older white folks mad that some Republican politician visited some Native Americans because they felt he was disrespecting the memory of an "American hero", General Custer (mostly remembered these days for a tactical blunder that got himself and his command killed).

It was going on in the 80s when I was in grade school. Anyway the point isn't that it's recent or not, it's that we should stop reflexively saying "yeah but America too guys" when that's not remotely the case in regards to whitewashing history and hasn't been for a long time.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Some Guy TT posted:

It may be more of a case of comparing apples and oranges. I'd say China is closer to the 1984 view of dystopia, where information is actively filtered and the populace is actively misinformed, while the United States is more like Brave New World, where the information is available, but the population has been so heavily conditioned to favor apathy it would never occur to most of them to actually look for it. 1984 had plenty of that going on too, for what it's worth- Big Brother didn't really care about the proles, and the proles in turn didn't really care about the specifics of how exactly Big Brother worked.

I'd argue that specific technique isn't as important as the actual result. The anti-Japanese demonstrations in China lately have certainly been worrisome, but they at least have some basis in historical fact. Anti-Arab sentiment in the United States, on the other hand, is based almost entirely on the beliefs of a small number of non-representative Muslim whackjobs. And it's led to much worse results for much more petty reasons than this dick-waving contest over islands is likely to amount to.

I have to disagree about technique versus result.

The techniques used in China prevent people from having the tools to become informed, whereas the technique in the West is basically "flood the market with Honey Boo Boo and they won't notice". The Chinese one seems like it's much harder to overcome than the Western one.

I think the US ignorance is way more embarrassing, even though it's not as pervasive (I have yet to see multi-city anti-Arab riots in the US). We're a multi-cultural developed society, and we should know better. Maybe that's condescending, but this kind of stuff is expected in a developing country, even if the tone of it is uniquely "woe unto us, child-like innocent NE Asian nation-state that we are" in China.

E: In regards to multi-culturalism in China, this just popped up from the China Daily on my fb feed:

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2012-09/25/content_15780878.htm

quote:

Sierra Leone native and Miss World winner Mariatu Kargbo has captured China's heart with her devotion to its culture and people. Chen Nan reports in Beijing...Maria says she brought the art to the world's attention to show her special gratitude to China. "I have two dreams: becoming Chinese and bringing Chinese culture to the world," she says.

This to me sums up Chinese media about the other cultures: The rest of the world is a canvas on which we will paint our culture, look how they adore us for our beneficence! Soon the tribute will flow again as it has for centuries!

This Chinese style "Tribute system" thinking is probably more palatable than neo-conservatism and has killed less people, but it's more all-encompassing than Paul Wolfowitz is in the US.

menino fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 25, 2012

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

flatbus posted:

That's because we have multi-nation anti-'Arab' wars in the world that's condoned by the population.

You're saying we'd be rioting if we weren't fighting in Afghanistan and droning in Pakistan? Really? When did rioting and drone strikes become mutually exclusive anyway?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

flatbus posted:

No, that's nonsensical and wasn't what I had meant at all. :psyduck: My apologies, I can easily see how you think I meant that.

What I meant to say was, the American rage at Muslims isn't largely manifested in anti-Arab riots in the US (although there has been shootings), but manifested through a population-condoned anti-'Arab' war in the world. America has the privilege of invading other countries without incurring damage to home infrastructure, and that's the path the country chose. It's not as if we took 9/11 by turning the other cheek, we did kill a lot of Muslims in retribution.

Sure, we flubbed 9-11 responses and got really really bloodthirsty, but in terms of public opinion, it faded fast (not fast enough of course if you are a dead Iraqi/Pashtun/Pakistani). A plurality of Americans want out of the Middle East at the moment, even if they're not doing much about achieving this.

quote:

I'm puzzled by this insistence on viewing China through its classical dynastic lens. There was a Communist revolution in the 50s and several decades of cultural turmoil that changed Chinese culture. On top of that, this view is largely inconsistent with history - China didn't exist as a unified history through the entirety of history, it had its share of internecine wars and foreign conquests during which tributary system be unsustainable. To say that after the tumult and stability China experienced from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, it still clings to its imperial foreign policy of hundreds of years ago sounds a bit implausible. Do you expect Mongolians to continuously scheme to take over half the world and demand tribute from Russia as well?

No, but Mongolia lost its empire in a matter of two generations and ended eight hundred years ago. The Ming/Qing continuum lasted for six hundred years and ended only a hundred years ago. The Qing was of course weakened and decrepit for its last hundred years, but that wasn't due to an internal Asia problem, it was due to the Ocean People.

It's an Asian (Chinese) system, not a Western one, and I think that's where its main appeal lies with regards to the foreign policy decision makers in the Chinese government.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
^
I still don't think Mongolia had the established tradition, mostly by virtue of it being a nomadic culture. They Islamized where there was Islam and Sinified where there was Sino, and quickly fell into warring Cousin Khanates.

Anyway, as an indication that I may not know what the gently caress I'm talking about in regards to my other point, I just read this really long article about white supremacists in Dearborn Michigan:

Dearborn: Where Americans Come to Hate Muslims

quote:

In April 2011, pastor Terry Jones burned a Koran in Gainesville, Florida, sparking deadly clashes in Afghanistan and Pakistan. One year later, he burned a Koran again, and no one paid any attention. That same month he came to Dearborn, Michigan, to protest in front of the Islamic Center of America, the nation's largest mosque. "Islam has one goal," Jones told the small crowd, and a much larger group of counter-demonstrators and police, according to the Detroit Free Press. "That is world domination."

The defiant evangelists held signs reading "I will not submit" in English and Arabic. The mosque, which encouraged its members to avoid the rally, beamed back a message on its electronic billboard: "Happy Easter." For Jones, this was a return trip to Dearborn, the heart of the country's most Arab-American metropolis.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Oceanbound posted:

What really? I don't think that is remotely true. Yes, those terms mean Protestant and Catholic. Yes, people probably don't know the difference. Big leap to go from there to "they think Catholics aren't Christian".

Also the majority (literally over 50%) of Muslims living here are actually domestic workers from Indonesia.

Koreans think that Catholics aren't Christian. They have a word for "Protestant", but literally no one had ever heard of the translation I used. Stands to reason Chinese have the same tranlsation issue.

edit RE: Jews, Chinese are surprisingly anti-semitic. Every time I mentioned the problem with banks in the US, the first thing I heard was "Oh the Judeos, right?" You could call this something else, as it's probably the one thing they hear about Jews in China like "Chicago is very cold", but I was suprised at how often I heard that.

menino fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 7, 2012

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
If they don't know the context, then I guess they're trying not to.

Hitler=Japan's buddy. Japan=hated enemy, slaughterer of population, decimator of native culture , creator of attempted racial empire at the expense of Chinese lives.

Racial empires' ally in Europe=neutral figure? Come on, gently caress that. They learned nothing from it, if it's just a "hey important Western figure let's feature him lolololo". I get that China's not up on international standards in terms of development, but for the most part that's just willful ignorance, at that's at best.

{Insert NE Asian nation-state here] is always history's victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I don't get how the Chinese I met didn't understand the idea of staples outside the borders of the Middle Kingdom. I met dozens of Chinese who had no problem breaking down the "rice/wheat" dichotomy for me when it came to regions, but seemed perplexed when it turned out that I didn't eat hamburgers and pizza at least once a day in the US. And I was working for an Beijing SEO in the shipping industry, it's not like these people were rubes. I mean anecdotal evidence and all, but it was something I got asked on average twice a week by co-workers/friends.