Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

fart simpson posted:

What's "PRC Real Freedom"?

I can freely get around everywhere without a car, to go to a restaurant that's actually just a dumpling stand some lady with a good recipe freely set up on the side of the road. She's free to have a pet cat roaming around that I can play with while I eat. I'm then free to buy a beer and drink it while walking down the street on my way into a pharmacy to buy nearly any medication I want without a prescription. I'm free from the worry of muggings, random acts of public violence, and harassment by the police. I can pretty much walk into any non-government building or area any time I want, and I can keep chickens in the stairwell of my apartment building. I can buy products that are almost exactly the same as more expensive brand name products, because in day to day life I'm mostly free of trademark and copyright restrictions. If I had a 5 year old son I'd be free to choose to not send him to school if I didn't want to, and I could send him down the street to the corner store to buy beer and cigarettes for me and I wouldn't worry about his safety. I'm free to ride the bus without paying and there's nothing they can do to stop me. I can eat cats and dogs if I want, and I could sell weird homemade hornet infused moonshine and nobody would stop me. That's not nearly an exhaustive list of things I can freely do in China that I couldn't do in the US.

And street making GBS threads, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not a perfect fit by any means (not the same relentless expansio-well, wait a minute) but there was enough in common with Electro-Boogie Jack's description of "freedom" under the PRC that I couldn't resist.

Just to be clear, that was Fart Simpson's description, not mine. I called it Manchild Freedom back then, and I think it's looking even shallower now in light of what's going down in Hong Kong.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

whatever7 posted:

The Communist Part has had long history of manipulating/leading student movements with undercover CCP members to their desired direction, going back to the inception of CCP. It was a very important part of the CCP struggle with the KMT in the cities. In their eyes, no only this was student protest steered by outside forces, the protest organization and tactics were also very amateurishly executed.

You can also see this at work with Uyghurs and Tibetans every loving day- it couldn't possibly be that regular men and women of the minorities are so unhappy that they stopped singing and dancing on their own, they must have been whipped up into an animalistic frenzy by the Dalai/Rebiya Kadeer/Ilham Tohti cliques with their ulterior motives and connections to foreign imperialists.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

goatse.cx posted:

Are they really? What do Chinese listen to these days?

Literally 1.3 billion people here 'Going Home' roughly 8,000 times a year in China, which probably puts it on a shortlist for the most heard song of the year for however many years running now. Every time a place in China closes 'Going Home' is magically piped in so that people know it's time to go home. Sometimes for hours.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Arakan posted:

Don't sign your posts

aha

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's awesome because this is one thing where all of China's money and soldiers and influence means nothing. If the Dalai Lama definitively says his lineage is over, then the issue will be settled in the minds of 90something percent of Tibetans, and whatever kid Beijing picks will be shunned and powerless, like their Panchen Lama has been up to now. Hence the increasingly pathetic whining from Zhu Weiqun and all of his puppets.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

McDowell posted:

If the Emperor once had the power, now it belongs to the Party. 5000 years of civilization.

I hope Xi Jinping televises the next time he orders state seers to get some oracle bones popping in order to foretell whether the next harvest will be good or bad.

The Party justification for why they have power over Tibetan Buddhism in general, and the trulku system in particular, is such a ridiculous hodgepodge of horseshit.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Xi'an is awesome and Nanjing is OK for the three weeks a year it isn't a sweltering armpit. I liked Yunnan. The rest of it can suck an egg.

Someone hasn't been to Gannan/Qinghai/ western Sichuan/ the TAR. Or someone has bad taste in China.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BCR posted:

So go where theres less han, more minorities :boom:

Just seek out the places that least resemble Mordor, and see where you end up.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Getting deja vu just reading all this, I once had a final where I asked students to form small groups and write and perform a short skit about literally anything they wanted. Of course half of them blatantly copied stuff off the internet, including one great class where two groups accidentally performed the same skit they got off the internet. I spent 15 minutes when I was giving them the assignment just explaining over and over again that as long as they made it up themselves they would get a good grade, and the only way to fail was to just copy something off the internet, and they still couldn't help but to gently caress up colossally.

My favorite was this girl who hadn't been there all semester, she came in for the first time and did the thing Grand Fromage just said, where she tried angling her body so that I wouldn't see her holding her phone. It was awkward and terrible because she was just rambling off all the parts of some Chinese copy of Cinderella or something, when I walked up and saw her phone she put it away and then let the silence stretch out until I told her she could sit down.

Gave her 0% for her grade for the semester, learned soon after that she does that for every class and that her parents are rich coal miners or something and that they just call the school at the end of every semester and send enough money to get all the grades reset.

I know that plagiarism happens in American schools, but, uh....

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

WarpedNaba posted:

So... did her parents call you up and offer you $$$?

If you're asking me: Nope, never heard from them. The implication, at least as I understood it from her classmates, is that they were somehow bribing the registrar directly. I was pretty curious though, would have liked to have known what the offer was, and how high I could get it by refusing, and how extravagantly I could have insulted them and their daughter in Chinese by way of closing the conversation. Ah well.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would a flight student not want to fly an airplane?

"Why fly an airplane when you can get the same score without flying the airplane?" is the question China's education system encourages people to ask in return.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fojar38 posted:

I'm getting some incredibly eerie Imperial Japan vibes holy poo poo

Mix in a dash of North Korea and I think you've got it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

the Panchen Lama is kind of a nonentity.

That's the key here, in that you have a case showing what Beijing will do to try to control the recognition of the next Dalai Lama- and you also get to see how poorly it worked out for them.

The Party has the whole Dalai Lama thing backwards. They think his advancing age means that there's a countdown until they win the Tibet issue because he dies. In reality if he dies in exile it's going to be a huge destabilizing factor for Tibet for decades to come. Tibetans put up with a lot of poo poo- the way the Party constantly antagonizes them means they have to- but I don't see much of the population forgiving the Party if he dies in India. If that happens everyone loses- Tibetans, the Party, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Typo posted:

No, but Tibet could over hope for greater autonomy within China and as long as international protestors make it an issue it feeds the paranoia that makes it difficult for that to ever happen

Everyone else already told you how dumb and wrong you are, but it's worth noting that this is an ongoing narrative that you see about Tibet- if foreigners would just stop paying attention, or if Tibetans themselves would just stop demonstrating, then things would be sooooo much better in Tibet. Gee, who stands to benefit from the last vestiges of foreign support for Tibet disappearing, and Tibetans themselves giving up?

Hint: They live in zhongnanhai, and they think of you as a useful idiot.