Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Has Xi even done anything to deserve being president for life? I mean was he better than say Hu Jintao?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

Looking at passenger numbers it is useful though?

As far as the Chinese government playing hardball with foreign companies...so what? China used the size of its economy as leverage for a better deal.
I mean obviously it is not domestically produced tech, but they obviously made the right call.

As for China being protectionist, yeah this was always the case. The US and the West just always turned a blind eye since first it was such a source of cheap labor, and then more recently a massive consumer market.

I would have taken the deal if I were a company. It’s a one-time deal to build up HSR infrastructure anyway and it’s a lot of money. If you refuse you’re not going to get the money anyway so why not just go for it. I’m assuming that they are confident enough that China isn’t proficient enough to compete with them in other markets.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

How are u posted:

I'm currently living in a US university town and oh my god there are so many of them.

Are you sure they are actually from China?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I predict a war

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
White people shouldn’t wear qipaos? It’s too late it’s been going on for decades including in the Chinoiserie era.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think it’s OK for Becky Mormongirl to wear one. There’s got to be a line between appropriation and never being able to interact with another culture (which would be bad). I don’t know the formal academic definition of appropriation, but it wasn’t like she was out there pretending white people came up with cheongsams like an Elvis Presley or something. I mean come on no white person ever is allowed to wear clothing from another culture? That’s draconian.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

landgrabber posted:

wow, good thing i have a netgear router

No it is not a good thing to have a netgear router.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Radar posted:

Hunan TV, which was broadcasting Eurovision in China, cut out some performances and blurred parts of others—and before you get ahead of yourself celebrating cutting lovely Eurovision tracks, it was that they were blurring Pride flags and people’s tattoos

Their Eurovision broadcast rights have been revoked.

Does anybody in China even watch Eurovision? Nobody in America does and I can’t imagine the interest would be all that much greater in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

There’s speculation that this has something to do with NK